Old 06-29-2007, 09:56 AM   #1  

Smile Pleasant Result from Diabetes Diagnosis

Hello. My 2.5 year old was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes March 17, 2007. After the initial shock of it, we are doing very well. My son is doing extremely well too. I have been needing to lose weight for a long time. I tried to start last summer, but well we all know the excuses. It just didn't happen. A pleasant surprise from my son's diagnosis is that I have lost 27 pounds. One day, I stepped on the scale and discovered I had lost 10. Next thing I know I have lost 20 and I realize I can do this. So, I am now REALLY on the road to losing weight and getting into clothes I haven't fit into since I got pregnant with my toddler.

--Sara
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Rock on to the 27 pound loss!

Now, why do you think having your son getting diagnosed with diabetes helped you lose weight? Was it the enforcement of healthy eating, the worry of the situation, or both?

Also: even though your son is diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, I think it's a strange blessing in disguise that he got diagnosed early. Here's why: it'll be easy for him to adjust and kids catch on quickly. He won't have too many memories of life withOUT diabetes, so he won't harbor resentment towards it and think about the days when he didn't have a chronic illness.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:23 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightengaleShane View Post
Rock on to the 27 pound loss!

Now, why do you think having your son getting diagnosed with diabetes helped you lose weight? Was it the enforcement of healthy eating, the worry of the situation, or both?

Also: even though your son is diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, I think it's a strange blessing in disguise that he got diagnosed early. Here's why: it'll be easy for him to adjust and kids catch on quickly. He won't have too many memories of life withOUT diabetes, so he won't harbor resentment towards it and think about the days when he didn't have a chronic illness.

It is because the whole family is eating healthier. Serving sizes were always way off balance. We dine out far less than we used to. Our meals were balanced before but the serving sizes were BIG. Because Deacon has to have a set amount, the serving sizes are the right proportion. I am not starving anyone. I am also back to calorie counting, walking the kids to the local park in the mornings, and I am being careful about what I get when we do dine out.

I am pleased that this did happen. I am looking forward to fitting into my old clothes. Thank god denim jeans and shorts never go out of style

--Sara
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote