Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 02:11 AM   #16  

I believe it was Linda who suggested I introduce myself. I am Debbi, I live in Las Vegas. I work as a hospice RN along with other things. I stay busy helping raise my great-great nephews (Patrick and DJ) and great great niece (samantha). No, I am not that old just originally from the south where my mom and sister had babies at the same time.

I am 46 y/o. Not newly diagnosed but newly out of control with diabetes. My fasting glucose reading are avg between 140-150. I started on metformin 2 wks ago and have sinced gained 7 pounds, so much for the weight loss. I do try and watch what I eat but will occassionally give in. My plan right now is to write everything I eat so at the end of the day I know whether or not what I am saying is true.

I am also peri-menopausal which after watching a program this evening explains a lot of the problems I am having may be related to this.

Anyway I am here to try and get honest with myself and make improvements.

Thanks
Debbi
Old 06-03-2007, 03:20 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 272/230.5/165

Height: 5'10"

Hi Debbi,
I applaud your effort to write things down. I'm just starting to do it and it's eye opening. I think I had fooled myself into believing that I wasn't eating that much, but now that it's down on paper (or email) I am seeing just how easy it is to eat 1500 calories, and how hard it is to not eat LOTS more than that. It's got me on the hunt for low cal, energy dense good foods. Keep writing it down. If you'd like, try what I'm doing and use your computer as your helper. I set up my calendar program to send me an email every night at 10pm. Since I'm online almost every night I always receive it. It's a simple letter to myself...just two lines...one for Food entries and another for exercise. I reply to myself and send it back in and store it in a folder entitled "goals". So far, it's been a great tool for me to be accountable to myself. Try it, if you'd like...and let me know if you do. I encourage any effort you put in to care for yourself.
elaine
Old 06-03-2007, 10:30 AM   #18  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Good morning all. Well finally, after struggling with everything the past couple of weeks, my bsl this am was (ta-da) 93. Looks like that bad cycle is finally winding down.

Welcome to all the new people. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. You'll find this an understanding and supportive group of people.

I agree with how eye opening writing down everything you eat can be. It is amazing how some of the "just a bite" stuff adds up when you do it all day.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:50 AM   #19  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning, gang . . .

Well, it's Sunday and the sun is shining . . . . . . here in Atlantic Canada, but it's still pretty cool out there. My BGL is up to 6.7 (121) this morning -- could be worse; could be better -- and I did manage to sleep in until almost 8 am this morning so that could have something to do with it.

My best news for today . . . I picked up my new glasses yesterday and I can see again . . . whoopee . . . It's a real treat to be able to actually read a book and watch TV at the same time (as strange as that my sound). Bought myself a new book, too -- The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno (a Canadian who writes a regular column for Oxygen Magazine). Interesting stuff. Also started reading another book I had for a bit but couldn't concentrate on -- Weights for Weight Loss, by Ellen Barrett. Also pretty good information.

Wow . . . DEBBI . . . It is very unusual for Metformin to cause a weight gain. . . sorry to hear that -- maybe it is connected to the peri-meno situation. Hopefully everything will balance out for you soon.

Oh boy . . . ELAINE . . . Love that little self reminder routine. Great idea.

Yes . . . KITTY . . . Sometimes it really helps to shake things up a little and finding new recipes (especially easy ones) can definitely help.

Right you are . . . ROSEY . . . thank goodness for those fresh starts. It does get frustrating when you do the good stuff and still get non-good results . . . just remember the tortoise, girl, slow but steady will do it.

Aw Gee. . . PENNEY . . . So sorry about the "Tortilla chip Takedown" . . . stuff happens to us all from time to time . . . but, you know, my bet is that the stress has more to do with the higher readings than the little indulgence does -- not to condone the indulgence, mind you.

BTW, gang . . . Elaine's comment about low-cal, Energy Dense foods (think you really mean, "nutrient-dense" because "energy-dense" usually means high-cal ) made me think that I'd give you this link to my Volumetrics thread . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108369 . . . I'm not trying to push any particular plan on you gang . . . just thought you might want to read some of the links in the intro post. Volumetrics is more of a 'principle' than a 'plan' and can really fit in with any eating plan you are on. It's a good way to identify foods that give you more 'bang for your buck' -- i.e., more volume less calories.

Guess I'd better get moving and shaking . . . goodness, it's almost noon around here already . . . keep on doing the good stuff just as much as you possibly can, gang . . . see you soon . . .
Old 06-03-2007, 01:52 PM   #20  

Morning everyone.. its still raining here..my sl was 106 this am so my bad day of eating is over..however yesterday morning as i was getting out of bed i lost my balance and fell like ton of bricks.. there i was caught between the bed and wall and couldnt get up.. my dh was trying to help but with his recent surg we realized that he'd hurt himself.. so some very nice guys from the fire dept came and got me up.. boy was my dignity bruised among other things..i was extremely greatful and was extremely embarassed ..enuff said..welcome Debbie and elaine to our group.. i write all foods down that i eat but i follow ww's and use a form i print for ww.. it tracks all my pts and amounts and exercise etc.. it helps me see the bigger picture and makes me accountable..its amazing how a bite or two will add up..debbie i take metform and have'nt had any trouble with it..when im really being careful i loose however slowly..meowee thanks for reminding slow is good..soiley wtg on the low number thats awsome ..penny stress affects my sl to..kkitty i like to try new things to but the dh isnt one for experiments..once in awhile i succeed and making something we both like..not sure whats on the agenda today.. im sore and stiff and have a few bruises so dont feel like doing much..(((hugs)))) for those posting and those that are absent rosey
Old 06-03-2007, 03:53 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hello,

I am new to this Board. I usually post on the 50+ Board - Golden Girls thread. I am so happy I found this Board - so much great information. Reading your morning BS #'s is an eye-opener. Mine is generally around 135 when I wake up - that's with eating VERY few carbs/day. I'm eating NO simple carbs - no bread, pasta, potatoes, sweets. I try to average 10-20 carbs/meal - any more than that & my BS is over 120 two hours after eating. I'm going to a dietitian on Tuesday - hopefully, she can give me some advice - I'd love to be able to eat some fruit again.

Nice to "meet" all of you,

Lynn
Old 06-03-2007, 05:12 PM   #22  
Onward and Downward

Hi LYNN . . .

Welcome to the group . . . glad that you found us and hope that we will be able to offer you lots and lots of support on this long winding road to better health and fitness. It's not an easy disease to control but it is possible and the more friends we have in our group of 'sugar-babies' the easier it seems.

Of course, I know your name from over in the 50+ forum (since I'm the Mod over there) even though we usually post in slightly different areas of that forum. I really like your angle on the "challenge" aspect.

Anyway, Chickie . . . you have a great moving and shaking kind of evening and we'll all be looking forward to chatting with you on a regular basis now that you've found us. . . see you soon . . .
Old 06-03-2007, 06:49 PM   #23  
Happy New Rears!

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. I was diagnosed with Diabetes on April 30th (type 2) I was put on Metformin and saw a Dietitian on May 1, she put me on a diet plan and I have lost 10.5 pounds in one month! I was 214 and now I am 203.5.

I just wanted to tell you my diet plan and ask if there is any advice to improve it. I started with 15 minutes of cardio every second day and now in my 4th week I am doing 25 minutes every day. It's a step box thingy and I watch a DVD when I do it - at first it was killing me, I was ready to give up after the first 5 minutes but now I can do 25 although I am struggling the last 5 minutes but I am feeling pretty good - I have more energy now then I have in years.

So every day I have

Breakfast 7:30am- whole grain cereal (no salt/sugar) 1% milk
small bowl of fruit like a peach cut up, or cherries, or strawberries or apple

Snack 10:00am veggie sticks/low fat cottage cheese

Lunch 12:00 - 1 slice whole wheat bread, table spoon light cream cheese, red peppers/green peppers, cucumber and a few grapes or other small fruit

Snack 3:00pm - low fat/sugar free/ Yogurt with carrot sticks

Dinner 6pm - typical dinner is a small serving of brown rice or wholewheat pasta, chicken breast cooked with low fat spaghetti sauce or salsa, nice large salad and the dietitian makes me drink a glass of milk with dinner although it's the last thing in the world I feel like.

Snack 8pm - another small glass of milk that I don't want but I drink it because she wants me too. and a small fruit or veggie sticks or a couple of whole wheat crackers and some low fat peanut butter.

Other dinners I've been having are eggbeaters and dry whole wheat toast & salad and once in a while I have a lean cuisine that is brown rice and chicken - but she says I should keep that to a minimum because it is high in salt and everything is processed.

The routine I am on is starting to become second nature, at first it was a REAL struggle - especially the constant ravenous hunger, but that has died down now. My blood sugar levels are so much better now that I am on metformin - I would like to come off it if possible and control everything with diet.

I have had a couple of challenges with having to go to a restaurant meal for function but I struggled through and one night after an extremely stressful day I crashed and ate bad bad things for me, it was like I couldn't control myself - afterwards I felt terrible and I don't mean guilt, I mean terrible ill, sick to my stomach with nausea and the runs - I really learned a lesson that night. Sure the ice cream and potato chips (LOL) tasted good at the time, but I paid for it later.

So anyway, I guess I have talked way way too much and bored you all to tears!

I am looking forward to reading through the forum and meeting everyone.

ThinGirl
Old 06-03-2007, 09:31 PM   #24  
Onward and Downward

Hi there THINGIRL . . . . . . Welcome to the group.

Wow . . . your progress so far is very impressive . . . and both your menu plan and your exercise regimen sound greatl . . . keep up the excellent work, chickie.

How do you feel about trying some FF/SF yogurt as a change from milk? . . . it's one of my favourite things, mixed with a little Splenda and a bit of unsweetened cocoa powder. Real chocolately yumms . . .

Anyway, you have a great moving and shaking evening and we'll hope to be seeing you around here regularly now that you've found us. . .
Old 06-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #25  

Hey everyone! My good morning readings have been continuing...I have not been higher than 121 all week. I even got a 107 one morning! It was like someone pulled a plug on some stress for me too, cause I just feel so much more relaxed with the numbers being lower. When I went to the new doctor on Friday, they took blood for an A1C, so I am waiting to hear what it was. I am sure it was not as good as my last one- 6.1 - but I hope it is not too bad!

I spent a lot of time working in the studio/garagio last night and this morning. I still have a lot of trimming and decorating to do on two or three pieces, but I felt good about the stuff I got done.

I got in 60 minutes of water aerobics this morning, and I am going to the gym for water aerobics class tomorrow morning. I enjoy the class a lot...but have had to miss it a good bit lately with a variety of reasons - no car, sick, etc.

It is bed time here, so I better get off and hit the pillows! (or my dear hubby is going to pull the plug on my 'puter! haha!)

Old 06-03-2007, 11:14 PM   #26  
Happy New Rears!

Hi Monet, those are some good numbers mine are always high in the morning, higher than when I go to bed.

meowee, thanks for the welcome, I mentioned having something else but the dietitian has this thing about milk - I am going to try the cocoa thing soon. Thanks for the tip
Old 06-04-2007, 10:22 AM   #27  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Wow . . . I slept in again . . . didn't see the light of day until 9 am this morning . . . and my BGL of 7.3 / 131 reflects that oversleeping too . . . oh well, nowhere to go but down.

Anyway the menagerie (including me) has been fed and now I just have time for a few quick "Hello" posts around 3FC before I have to jump in the shower and get ready for my opthamologist appointment.

Hope everybody has a great moving and shaking kind of day planned . . . back later . . .
Old 06-04-2007, 11:23 AM   #28  
Happy New Rears!

I'm happy if I have a 7.something in the morning, usually it's over 9
Old 06-04-2007, 12:37 PM   #29  

Morning everyone..ive been up for hours; daisy likes to get up really early..my sl was 97 this morning.. im still feeling the after affects of falling and have some very vivid briuses showing up ..and am stiff and sore but im moving slowly.. welcome to all the new folks..we are a great bunch if i do say so..the grdd is with us since yesterday and we are suppose to plant flowers today but its raining so will have to think of another fun project for us to do..we had a moose in the back yard last night and watched it for awhile..the dogs where going nuts about the moose..hope you all have agreat day(((hugs))) rosey
Old 06-04-2007, 01:12 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Everyone,

Linda, thank you for the welcome. My BS this morning was 130 - then, 2 hours after a mini Glucerna bar & breakfast, it was 120. Glucerna bars seem to lower my BS.

Tomorrow is my appointment with dietitian. I'm anxious to see what she has to say.

I've been having some blurred vision. My blood sugar numbers are not extraordinarily high. I guess I need to make an appointment with an eye doctor also.

Too many doctors!

Lynn
Closed Thread