Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:38 AM   #106  

Hi thin girl..russian tea is homemade mix of instant tea, sf orange drink mix(tang or crystal lite) and cinnamon..mix it with hot water and its lovely and soothing drink.. i posted the recipe..i luv it.. rosey
Old 06-10-2007, 07:22 AM   #107  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning . . .

Weather doesn't seem to be shaping up as nicely as yesterday, but it is early yet, so maybe things will get better. Nothing too exciting for me today but since I never did get those errands done yesterday (hey, stuff happens, sometimes - I napped instead), they have to be done today.

At least the BGL was a nice 4.1 (74) this morning . . . in spite of (or because of) the 11 pm popcorn. Hopefully it will stay stable today.

ROSEY . . . . . . Both of those recipes sound good. Will have to get some orange-flavoured crystal light and some instant tea . . . or have you ever made it with 'real' tea (well, tea bags, that is)?

THIN . . . . . . I know exactly what you mean. My meals sound dead boring when I see what others are having. Tell us some of yours and I bet we think they sound great.

Anyway . . . got to get myself moving and shaking. Hope everybody has a great day planned . . . see you all later . . .
Old 06-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #108  
Happy New Rears!

Hi everyone 6.1 this morning (109.8) which is the lowest I have seen

Thanks for the Russian Tea recipe, I'll try it some time.

Hey, meowee - have a great day - I am off to the mall with my DD13 to get her some jeans.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:24 PM   #109  

Morning everyone.. its a beautiful day here.. sunny and bright..my sl was 97 this am..meowee i never tried the russian tea with real tea bags but i suppose it would work just add the sf orange and cinnamon..nothing new here.. we are suppose to help my dd and sil finnish remodeling their bathroom today..or i can be lazy like yesterday what ever u all are doing hope its fun and make good choices for your self rosey
Old 06-10-2007, 08:42 PM   #110  
Onward and Downward

Hi again . . .

Wow . . . congrats to both ROSEY and THIN on those good BGL readings. Keep it up, chickies . . .

Here's my food log for today . . .

B: 2 cups coffee; HF cereal; strawberries; skim milk
S: 1/2 apple; 1 stalk celery; 2 LF cheese sticks
L: ww tortilla; lean roast beef, lettuce, salsa, LF miracle whip
S: Jello with LF cool whip
D: chicken breast; carrots; asparagus; mango salsa
S: Strawberries; LF cool whip; 5 arrowroots

80 oz / 2500 ml water

Have a great night, gang . . . see you tomorrow . . .
Old 06-10-2007, 10:15 PM   #111  
Happy New Rears!

4 hours at the mall today, walking lol but no cardio.

For breakfast I had my whole wheat./no sugar/ cereal and cherries

Snack - peach

Lunch was cream cheese on whole wheat with carrot sticks

Snack - no sugar/fat free yogurt and cherries

Dinner - sauted chicken breast, zucchini, red onion, red pepper and mushrooms with some healthy choice spaghetti sauce served on whole wheat pasta and a side salad.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:02 AM   #112  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Weather is dull and raining and nobody seems to be able to decide what the high will be today -- one TV stations says 15C/59F; another says 19C/66F; radio says 17C/63, but also mentions that we've reached that already and it's only 9 am -- at least they all seem to agree on lots of rain.

BGL was 5.8 / 104 this morning (7 am) but I think it was considerably lower at 3:30 when I got up to go to the bathroom. Had all the hypo symptoms, but didn't check; just went back to bed. Think I had my carb snack a little too early last night, but I just could not stay awake. I keep hoping that someday I'll actually get the control of this disease figured out; but wouldn't want to make any bets.

Going to put a call into my DEC (Diabetes Education Centre) later on this morning to see if I can get a good, solid explanation for the somewhat conflicting information Monet and I have about testing BGL after meals.

Can't seem to get the problem out of my mind and at the moment it looks like we scared Lynne away. Please come back, Chickie. We seem to be missing a few of our regulars as a matter of fact . . . come out, come out, wherever you are. We miss you.

Hey Rosey . . . did you finally decide on another 'lazy' day or did you go and work on the remodel?

I think your dinner sounds great Thin . . . You will soon discover my eating patterns are very boring.

Anyway, gang . . . keep things moving and shaking today and I'll be back later . . . Here's a couple of acticles about 'de feet' to keep you busy while I'm gone . . .

http://www.everydayhealth.com/public...e4fd46fce&p=55

http://www.everydayhealth.com/diabet...-problems.aspx

Off I go . . .
Old 06-11-2007, 08:24 AM   #113  
Happy New Rears!

Good Morning everyone, my BG was 6.8 this morning (122) it scares me to imagine what it would be without the metformin

Off to work now, I hope everyone has a good Monday
Old 06-11-2007, 12:30 PM   #114  

S/C/G: 229/T/170

Height: 5'7

Morning All,
Basics first: 80 bsl.

Meowee: I hope u didn't think that i ran off, i just don't check in on weekends I like the menu postings, seems to be popular. I don't think i will be doing it only because i tend to get a tad to compuslive about it not sure why, but i have learned the hard way to avoid compulsive triggers. But i love the spirit of the menu postings.

Rosey: No need for a sorry. I won't lie, i did get momentarily flustered. but it was just because i was feeling a bit misunderstood. no biggie

Now for a bit of good news regarding the whole inches vs. lbs debate that always circulates round diet bb. I think i mentioned to u all that im going to be in a wedding in july. well the first time i tried on my bridesmaids dress it was a wee bit snug. ok so the zipper only went up by the grace of GOD and the fact that i learned how NOT to breath . Well this weekend i had to pick up the shoes for the dress and my roomie suggested that i try the whole outfit on. To my amazement i was able to zip most of the dress up myself and hook the top latch (this is reaching BEHIND me to do it) and when my room mate zipped up the last lil bit i was shocked. the dress actually fits a lil loose now! even she was suprised because she remembers the first time she zipped me up in the dress and how hard it was. so even though the scale hasn't dropped a **** of a lot, the inches sure have! it just renewed my confidence that i was making progress.

well thats all for now, check back in later.
ttfn.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:16 PM   #115  
Onward and Downward

Hope you have an easy work day THIN . . . see you later.

I was a little worried MICKEY . . . glad to see you back. Congratulations on the fantastic NSV. As much as we all need to see the scale going down (and it is important from the point of view of diabetes control), the way our clothes fit is what everybody else notices first. Yippee for you, girl.

Have a good afternoon, gang . . . back later . . .
Old 06-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #116  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi Everyone. Hope you all had a nice weekend. bsl was 151 this am - overtreated a low in the middle of the night. aaarrgggh. I've been at this nearly 40 years, and I still do that. I sometimes think I'm un-teachable. I had a profitable weekend. Spent all day Sat. planning food for the week, and spent Sun. cooking & packaging and freezing meals for next couple of weeks. Now I have no excuse for grabbing and eating junk because I don't want to cook. Have my plan posted on the fridge, so no excuses. Hopefully I can get that scale going down again. My "just for me" plan for the week is to practice patience for 5 minutes every day.

Mickey - congratulations on the inches and the dress. That must make you feel so good.

Meowee - I was always told to test before and 2 hrs after eating, and the 2 hr reading is acceptable if within 40-50 higher than the before. My question for my CDE was always "is the 2 hrs from when you start eating or when you finish?" She couldn't answer, said there's not that much time difference. Well, for me, it depends on if I'm eating alone or with others. Alone I eat pretty fast (and that is one thing I'm working on) but with others, a meal can last an hour with talking and stuff, but eating thru the whole hour. She never did give me an answer. I just do it from when I stop. I'll be interested to see what you are told.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #117  

S/C/G: 229/T/170

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
Hope you have an easy work day THIN . . . see you later.

I was a little worried MICKEY . . . glad to see you back. Congratulations on the fantastic NSV. As much as we all need to see the scale going down (and it is important from the point of view of diabetes control), the way our clothes fit is what everybody else notices first. Yippee for you, girl.

Have a good afternoon, gang . . . back later . . .
Meowee: Forgive me for this one but.... what NSV stand for
Old 06-11-2007, 01:42 PM   #118  
Onward and Downward

Mickey . . . Non Scale Victory

Soiley . . . I don't ever think I'll get it figured out either. I got a kick out of your 2 hours . . . I know what you mean . . . If/when, they call me back, i'll ask that question, too . . .
Old 06-11-2007, 01:56 PM   #119  

Morning everyone..another pretty day here.. my sl was 75 this am.. thats really low for me.. and i ate stuff last night that i should not have.. very strange..since the scale has not budged my dd and i discussed the whys and whatfors.. since she has lost 185# and has kept if i used her as a sounding board.. she said when that happened to her she took one day and ate what she wanted(within reason) and that was to fool her metabolism..so yesterday i had few things i hadnt eaten in awhile..i also watched a dr phil show about dieting and ordered a new book called Make Over Your Metabolism..I'll let you know what i learned after ive read it.. im certainly frustrated when i eat the right things and stay the samebut will cont what im doing as sooner its got to budge..meowee.. i didnt have a lazy day.. we were at my dd and helped them install a ceiling fan in their bathroom..by the time we where done there where 3 big guys working on it ..how many guys to change a light bulb lol(it just tickled me) but they eventually got the job done.. my dd and i painted her living room.. so it was a productive day..mickey am glad to see u back and wtg on getting in that dress thats awsome..soooo today i am going to get at that sewing.. and alot of house work ugh i hate house work..have agreat day everyone ((((hugs))) rosey
Old 06-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #120  
Onward and Downward

Okay . . . Here I am again . . .

Had a fairly long discussion with Bev (the Nurse-practioner in charge of the DEC at my local hospital) and the short answer is . . . drum role please . . . we are all right.

Now, for the longer answer . . . hope you've got lots of reading time . . .

Since the advent of the GI (glycemic index), Canada has been looking at the impact of carbs on BGL in a far more specific way because the GI research is constantly bringing to light how different carbs are -- not only between simple and complex carbs, but also down to the level of different foods within a similar category. Apparently, if the truth were know, CDA would like all patients to test their sugar levels every hour throughout the entire day for the very best control, but realize almost (almost ) nobody will do it (got a giggle from her -- at least she does understand reality, even though she doesn't preach it). So the NS CDA decided to put emphasis on the preprandial and the one hour vs three hour postprandial levels. This is not even consistent all across Canada and definitely does not apply in the US, where the ADA has been more reluctant to adopt the GI findings.

Here is a little example she gave me to explain what she was taught to look for -- in that perfect hourly-testing-world and after that perfectly balanced, but probably non-existent meal, (the translation from Canadian numbers to US numbers is mine and the starting point is just random, i.e., not meant to be indicative of perfection) . . .

Immediately prior to eating . . . . . . . . 6.0 (108)
one hour after starting to eat . . . . . .10.0 (180)
two hours after starting to eat . . . . . 8.5 (153)
three hours after starting to eat . . . . 7.5 (135)
four hours after starting to eat . . . . . 6.0 (108)
five hours after starting to eat . . . . . 5.5 ( 99)

Five hours is the longest time recommended between meals and (again in that perfect world), it would be preferable if we all ate every four hours including the middle of the night (she did laugh at that point). Oh, yeah, the timing is measured from the time you swallow the first bite and no matter what the meal is, the timing assumes it will take you from 20 to 30 minutes to complete the eating process (another giggle, here).

Bev also reminded me that bedtime snacks are very important for most diabetics and particularly those using insulin. For me in particular (since I'm prone to those hypos), she recommends my bedtime reading is best at 9 to 10. If lower than 9.0 (162), I should lower my bedtime insulin by a couple of units.

Once again . . . there is no totally definitive answer . . . listen to your own doctor or diabetes educator. But I don't think it hurts to learn everything you can about this kind of 'stuff'.

So . . . question for this evening . . . how often do you test?

BTW, I test at least twice a day, often three and sometimes four. I know lots of Type II's do test more often and I also know that most Type I's have to test more often in order to regulate their insulin dosing precision.

See you later everybody . . .
Closed Thread