Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 09:55 PM   #181  
Linda

S/C/G: 209/192/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Intro

Hello all, thought I'd pop in and say hello. My name is Linda and I have been married to Andy for 13 years. We have 2 kiddos that we homeschool. I've been doing weight watchers since Jan and as you can see it's going really slow. I've been doing better recently though and I'm still not seeing much progress on the scale. It can be quite discouraging when you are doing everything "right" and the scale doesn't budge. I have been exercising regularly for the past few months so maybe it's muscle growth but with all the work I want the reward!!! Anyways I'm glad I have someplace to voice my frustration. I'm actually not quite 40 yet, my birthday is on Oct 3rd. I hope that's ok I'm looking forward to learning from you all as I head into my next decade.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:44 AM   #182  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Welcome to Fluffymae and Linda. Linda, you are definitely welcome to be here even though you are not quite 40. It comes at you fast enough, doesn't it??! We all have a lot of the same struggles, so jump in and chat with us.

Well, I made it back from Denver. It was a good time, so that was nice. A lot of relaxing at night. I found that I don't relax well anymore, though. The seminar went all day and then at night we were on our own. They booked awesome suites for us and you had a lot of space to yourself and the quiet time was nice... for the most part. I found myself loving the relaxing for about an hour and then my mind started working on me. I felt awfully restless. I think it was because I know how much stuff I have to do at home. There I am in the hotel, flipping through TV channels and all I can think about is what I could be doing at home. Pathetic. The really good thing is that my kids both said they really missed me. My 13yo daughter said that you don't know how much you need someone until they aren't around. I hope she remembers that when I'm getting on her about her chores and homework!!

Cammie, I wanted to comment about what you said about the commercials like Arby's 5 for 5.95. I have thought the same thing about those things. I don't know if they are all over the nation, but Carl's Jr is a burger franchise here and their commercials are just awful. In particular, they always show the latest thing they are promoting, right at the end of the commercial. It is almost always dripping melted cheese or some kind of sauce. Yuck!

How is everyone else doing???
Old 09-16-2007, 05:46 PM   #183  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Why do I do challenges? I never do well.

I gained a pound and a half this week. I really need to get moving as I haven't done any exercise in ages. I know that makes a difference. Things are really stressful at the minute as my hubs has not got a job yet and it makes me eat worrying about it.

How is everyone else doing?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:15 AM   #184  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

I stayed the same this week. No surprise there; I'm eating too much. Maintaining doesn't seem to be a problem -- it's the "gettin' it off" part that is so hard. For all of us.

Jo
Old 09-18-2007, 12:08 PM   #185  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning everyone!

Yeah, challenges. I rarely do well, either. I am still trying to lose 5 pounds in a couple different challenges (both of which have already been "won"). I was within half a pound and suddenly, over 2 days, I inexplicably gained 4 pounds. What the heck? I've lost 2.5 of that--and it has taken me 4 days to do that. I'm sure TOM is to blame.

I just have to keep plodding on. I know I'm doing okay. I am getting more exercise than I was earlier this summer. I'm almost back to the weight I was earlier this year. Maybe by the end of the year I'll be close to goal.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:44 PM   #186  
Diane

Don't you just wish we could get a "do over"??? If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have put on this much weight. I would have caught it much earlier and would have been so much more sensible. I can maintain... it is just so tough to actually lose. Oh well, my fault for getting this way!

I like the cooler weather, though. It makes me get more exercising in. Going walking at lunch today and I'm really looking forward to it. It's been tough getting the time to do it over the summer. It is busy now, too, but at least the lunch hours are open for walking!!

Busy all the time right now. Football practice, football games, volleyball practice, volleyball games. "Did you do your homework?" "Did you do your chores?" "Did you brush your teeth?" "Did you clean your room?"

Fun times, but just when you think you can't get any busier, you do. I'm sure that eating dinner last night at 9:00 was really good for the weight loss effort.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:00 PM   #187  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashnl View Post

Busy all the time right now. Football practice, football games, volleyball practice, volleyball games. "Did you do your homework?" "Did you do your chores?" "Did you brush your teeth?" "Did you clean your room?"
While I don't have to worry about practices, we sure are busy like you! Our school district moved our Friday football this week to Thursday (because of Yom Kippur) and that sure messes up my weekly schedule!

Oh, and don't get me started on "did you do your homework!" I asked DS this last night and he said "yes" so I asked to see it....yeah, right, it wasn't done and there he was playing his 'shoot-em-up' game on the internet. Needless to say he got off the computer pretty fast after that! LOL I don't ask him much other than that--everything else is an ORDER!
Old 09-19-2007, 10:45 AM   #188  
Diane

Gosh, Allison, I just get so frustrated with it all. I try not to enable their irresponsible behavior regarding homework by constantly checking it, but I want to try to teach them to put the important things first. Drives me crazy.

Makes me tired!!!
Old 09-22-2007, 12:19 AM   #189  
Starting over 11/03/16

S/C/G: 325/Ticker/299

Height: 5' 4"

Hi All,

I haven't been on here in quite some time, working too many hours I guess. I hope everyone is doing well.

I've been stuck at the same weight for about the last four weeks and needed to gain some inspiration. I've been sticking to about 1200 calories a day and the frustration is mounting. Reading the comments and seeing that others are dealing with the same struggles really helps. I've finally started exercising again and hope that will give me a jump start. I actually made it through a 55 minute exercise class at the gym this week and lived to tell the tale.

Diane - Thanks for the message giving me the new thread information. I really appreciate it!
Old 09-22-2007, 10:28 AM   #190  
Diane

Glad to see you post, Barb. Boy, it is just a common thought with a lot of us that this weight loss thing is just so hard. I have always thought that if I could get a "do over", I think that I can maintain. But losing is tough! However, I was reading something that someone else posted about losing weight. She has lost over 100 pounds and she thinks that it helped her to go through the weight loss to really learn what she needed to do and what worked and didn't work for her. She said that she wouldn't have wanted the magic wand to take the weight off. I guess going through the tough stuff helped her. *** I still think I'd like the magic wand. ***

Our thread has gotten pretty quiet lately. I guess everyone is busy??

I've been doing better this week with being on plan. I'm going to check the scale on Monday. I usually cheat during the week and check the scale, but I've been afraid to because I don't want to get discouraged. I started back to walking at lunch time with my friend. It is finally cool enough to do that. It helps a lot. I still can't seem to get all the water in like I was before, but I'm working up to that. I've been doing ok with food, but need to be a little more diligent with my efforts.

Other than that, the kids are busy, so we're busy. My daughter had to miss a school dance because she has a bad grade in one of her classes. Well, maybe this will teach her a lesson. She can do very well, but tends to get distracted by other things in life... boys, friends, etc. She's a great kid, but I have to ride her all the time about homework and school.

My son is almost obsessive the other way. He really wants straight A's. I was like that through school, so I hope he's not too far overboard on that. The good thing is that he doesn't just do his school work, he's very active in sports. I just don't want him to be too hard on himself! A few B's are ok!!

Well, hope everyone else is good. Write a note and tell us what's up! I miss a lot of you!!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2007, 04:04 PM   #191  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

Default Intro

Hi Ladies ~

I'm coming out of Lurkdom to say hello. This looks like a nice group of gals, and I'd like to join your group. 3FC has given me lots of excellent info, plus nice people & mutual support.

I'm Teri in No. California. I began my getting healthy efforts on July 1, lost my first 22 lbs. so far, which has thrilled me!

I'm off meds for minor high blood pressure & minor high cholesterol (nurse pract says OK). My knees and hips are feeling great, and I hope the weight loss eases the winter cold/arthritis type pains. Plus, I can tell that weight has come off my BUTT!

www.fitday.com has been a big help, and I log in every bite. I aim for 1,200 calories (minimum - I wanna do this the healthy way), but usually end up around 1400.

I've totally quit the regular diet of pizza & pastries. I'm eating very healthy foods , whole grains, lean protein. Saw Dr. Oz on Oprah and read his book "You On A Diet", which makes a lot of sense to me. I've added a teaspoon of olive oil (total per day) to my foods (eating 4-5 mini-meals a day), and find that helps keep hunger away. And I'm still within my calorie budget.

My exercise consists of walking 1.5 miles four times a week. My dogs LOVE this routine

I just met my first mini-goal of 20 lbs. lost by 12/31 (wasn't sure how quickly it'd come off), so I'll be setting a new mini-goal. That was a good motivator!

Look forward to getting to know everyone! Have a good week.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #192  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Hi Ladiibug and welcome to our little group. The more the merrier. sounds like you are doing well with your weight loss.

Hi Diane we're missing a few people at the moment.

Well so much for my pound a week. I weighed last Thursday and had gained 5.5lbs could not believe it I thought I had done enough to stay steady. My head is just not in the right place at the moment.

So because of that I don't have any expectations for this week.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:07 PM   #193  
Starting over 11/03/16

S/C/G: 325/Ticker/299

Height: 5' 4"

I love the idea of a magic wand but somehow, I don't see a fairy godmother appearing in my life anytime soon. I suppose I'll have to go the old fashioned route and work at it.

I'm going to set a goal for myself of 165 by Christmas and do my best to meet it. I have to officially weigh in twice a week and that helps me stay on track. I also bought one of the scales that measures to 2/10's of a pound and weigh myself daily so even if I've only lost a couple of ounces, it shows up and at least gives me some encouragement. It also measures body fat and water percentage so I can make sure I'm getting enough water in me. Of course lately, the scale doesn't see to want to budge.

Hi Teri - Welcome! I also do fitday.com and track everything I eat and I find it really makes a difference. I kept seeing it mentioned by people on here and decided to check it out. I love it.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:22 PM   #194  

Height: 5' 7"

Hello everyone, I have been on this website since January but only on Southbeach Thread and just noticed the 40 something thread, so I thought I would join you all. I am 43 and so far have lost 30 lbs since Jan. but still trying to lose 30 more. I am on a plateau right now, so trying to get past it and keep motivated to keep on going (atleast I am maintaining and not going up).
Old 09-24-2007, 09:22 AM   #195  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Hi guys, just stopping in for a quickie. Just plodding along w/exercising and trying to watch the eating (that part is not going very well. ) But I keep trying. It's reassuring to know that others are having the same difficulties that I am having. Misery loves company, eh?

Our neighbors - two doors up - are getting an inground pool. The construction trucks (3) were here Sat. a.m. at freakin' 6:30 in the morning!, idling the entire time with spurts of loud machine working stuff. It's the only day we have all week where no one has to be up really early. We called the township (closed) then the cops to ask about a time ordinance pertaining to this type of stuff. Regardless of what an ordinance says (they didn't know and sent a cop over to the pool people's house), wouldn't you just be considerate and tell the pool workers that on a weekend they could not show up b/4 say 8a.m.? To top it off, the trucks were here 5 hours spraying the cement on the pool then left. They left the street - from the pool ppl's house down past our house - w/crap all over the road. Cement, stones, sand, mud. The ppl getting the pool washed some - there is a lot still left on the road - of it down the street, the ppl. next door to us washed it down from in front of their house to our house and it all landed right in front of our driveway. About 3 inches of this slop. Can you say rude? Both neighbors. We spent about 2 1/2 hrs over the weekend power washing the street just so we could get in and out of the driveway w/out this stuff getting tracked in. Am I crazy or shouldn't the pool workers have cleaned the mess up that they made? Why didn't the ppl getting the pool insist that they do this? In cleaning up the mess we made darn sure that it didn't land in front of the ppl's driveway who live next to us. We even waited to clean it up cause the neighbors across the street were getting new carpeting and they had it spread out on their driveway. We didn't want to get any of this stuff on their rug by accident. What has happened to just being considerate of others? I know the ppl getting the pool (it's in the stupidest place -- the front/side of their house running from their house to the neighbors driveway. Why they didn't run it front to back or more logically, put it in their back yard is beyond me.) still have more work to be done. The cement surround on the pool needs to be done. They will be getting a phone call from me the day that happens asking them to make sure the workers clean up their mess. If they refuse, do you think I could leave the mess there and notify the township? Sorry for the rant. I just can't believe how rude some people are. I ended up missing the game on Sunday because I was trying to get the mess cleaned up. Ggggrrrrrrrr!!!

Anyone else gone through teaching their kids to drive? WOW, what an eye opener! Talk about scary Slowly but surely it improves. Little steps, one at a time. Whew!!

Have a good one all.

Jo

Last edited by Is that really me; 09-24-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Closed Thread