Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 01:35 PM   #76  

This morning I walked outside with my training partner and her neighbor. Damn, I gots me some short legs cuz I was behind them the whole time. Oh well, I was never meant to be a sprinter.

Hey, I just picked up some Quaker Multigrain hot cereal. It's made from rye, barley, oats and wheats and as far as I can tell, the nutrition lable is just about the same at plain oatmeal:

1/2 cup dry

130 calories, 1 gram of fat, 0 sat fat, .5 poly fat, 0 mono fat, 0 chol, 0 sodium, 29g carb, 5g dietary fiber, 2 g soluble fiber, 3g insoluble fiber, 0 sugars, 5g protein.

I don't know how it tastes, but nothing a little Splenda and vanilla probably can't fix.

Dumb question of the day, what do they mean by soluble and unsoluble fiber? Is the unsoluble not absorbed?

Hope everyone's day is going well.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:18 PM   #77  
Meg

Oh Sel -- love those senior citizens! Your story reminds me of a time in the gym when I was riding a bike and a 70ish woman walked into the stretching area in front of me. I was thinking to myself that she looked just like a grandma out of Norman Rockwell -- that delicate pale skin, ethereal white hair, kindly wrinkles, very slender and stooped -- when"Grandma" drops to the floor and cranks out 15 men's push-ups!!!

I want to be an old lady doing squats!

Meg
Old 04-03-2003, 02:22 PM   #78  
Hot Sauce!

Default Never say never!

Sel, your story had me cracking up! I know that soon you will be cranking past those oldies like they are standing still! I once saw a pic of this 75 year old deadlifting over 150 pounds....now that is how I want to be when I get to 75!

Sandy, good to see you back here! Sounds like you are doing really well! I am not sure what kind of equipment you have so I am not really sure what to tell you....

Also insoluable fiber is the kind that doesn't get absorbed, it passes through the body. Soluable fiber is absorbed and is partly responsible for lowering cholesterol and all of that.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:32 PM   #79  

Thanks, Jamie!
Old 04-03-2003, 11:50 PM   #80  

Just wanted to let everyone know I won't be around for a bit. My Grandmother died and I am flying back to new Jersey for her funeral.

Needless to say the plan went out the window for the day. I'll be back next wednesday.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:10 AM   #81  

ChellyBella:
I think I speak for all of us when I say that our thoughts are with you.
Take care and God Bless.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:12 AM   #82  

ChellyBella,

So sorry about your Grandmother. You have my deepest sympathy.

Sel

Last edited by Trinidad; 04-04-2003 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:15 AM   #83  

Ladies,

Here is a senior citizen I have been admiring for a few years. Her name is Kelly Nelson and she and her daughter are bodybuilders and followers of bodybuilding guru, John Parrillo. I believe Kelly was around 71 or 72 at the time of this picture. Ms. Kel did not pick up a weight until she was 52 years old and then went into bodybuilding, winning several trophies along the way. I plan to look like this when I'm an old lady. Good thing I started 30 years ahead.

Oh, Kelly is the on the left. Want inspiration, read about them here:www.agelesstraining.com

Last edited by Trinidad; 04-04-2003 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:14 AM   #84  

ChellyBella --- i'm sooo sorry for your loss. take good care of yourself now during these sad times. we'll be here when you get back !

Sel !!!! --- how did you know that i needed a lift today???? thanks ever so much for posting this!! they are incredible, aren't they?? goes to prove that anyone can do anything they set their minds to, huh??

hope all is well with you ladies who lift

adriana
Old 04-04-2003, 07:05 AM   #85  
Banned

TGIF!!!

I've got a job interview this morning...wish me luck! I'll have time to catch up soon...I'm off until Tuesday!

BTW, the fat seems to be falling off all of a sudden...I've lost 5 lbs. since Tuesday! I was starting to wonder why I wasn't getting more results!

Have a great day!

Deb
Old 04-04-2003, 07:08 AM   #86  
Peace with body and soul

Chelly I'm very sorry, thoughts and prayers are with you...

Thanks for the inspiration Trinidad! Guess there's hope for me.

Happy Friday guys, big weekend plans?
Old 04-04-2003, 08:23 AM   #87  
Hot Sauce!

Default TGIF!

ChellyBella - I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Stay strong, you are in my thoughts.

Sel - those ladies rock! How cool! This just proves that anyone at any age can start becoming active. You don't need to become a bodybuilder, but you can do something to keep yourself feeling young!

Deb - good luck on the interview and congrats on the weight loss!

Alright, as for me, I am dog tired! Oh boy, I had class last night after work, left out of there and met up with my realator so we could sign the purchase agreement on the house! They accepted our bid, now we need to get a house inspector out there ASAP and I am hoping they can get out there tomorrow or Sunday so I can take part in the inspection. Otherwise between work and school I may not be able to during the week.
I was so excited last night that I had a hard time sleeping....and my stupid neighbors above us this morning just made me realize how badly we need to get out of these apartments.....we checked our lease agreement last night and I don't see anything about breaking a lease, so this may be easier than we thought. We have been perfect renters, never late on a payment, no complaints against us. Hmmm...so much to say, so much to do, so freakin tired! I have to also shop around for homeowners insurance today. Wow....
My training has been a little scarce, I am going back to the body rx training because it only requires 4 days and right now that is all I have. I may just do the program all over again and get through it without hurting myself! We shall see. I also have my 5k in september......
I hope everyone else is doing well!
Old 04-04-2003, 10:12 AM   #88  
Mel

Default Friday

Chellybella- So sorry to hear about your GM. You are in my thoughts.

Sel- What a picture! I first came across those 2 ladies when I stumbled across the Krista smash site 2 years ago. They are certainly inspirational.

Jamie- Congrats on your bid being accepted! Now the real fun starts....I can't imagine why you are tired. Your life sounds non-stop to me.

Deb- Good luck on your interview.

OK, after 2 weeks I'm officially sick of Getlean foods. Very restrictive. No fruit, no dairy, and no fats. I don't know how long I can stick this out. I'm supposed to drop my calories by 100 next week which puts me back to 5 meals a day instead of 6, and up my cardio to 5 days/week. Getting real tired of oatmeal, eggs, chicken and and brown rice!

I'm really sick today- didn't go to work, haven't done workout (legs!!!) or cardio yet. My son ishome too, with the same sore throat and headache.

On a bright note, we finally trapped the kitty in a have-a-heart trap and she is now living happily in the master bathroom, and purring and cuddling whenever we go in there. Will expand her horizons to the bedroom in a few days.

mel
Old 04-04-2003, 10:22 AM   #89  

So sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with you.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:45 AM   #90  
Uber-Moderator!!

Happy Friday y'all!

Ya know, I've lived here all my life and I'm STILL amazed at how the weather changes on a dime...last weekend was gorgeous - up into the upper 70's/low 80's...last night we had a HUGE rainstorm with HAIL, thunder & lightening. Of course that probably means no riding lesson tomorrow but I might still mosey over there anyway and help with the horses anyway since I don't really have any plans tomorrow...

Mel - I am so glad you got your kitty out of hiding! Have you named her yet?? Bummer about GetLean with all the new research coming out about fats, I would never cut them out completely now (of course it wasn't THAT long ago that I was on an ultra-low-fat diet back in the mid/late 90's but weren't we all?).

Deb - I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya! Good luck gal!

Chelly - Let me add my sympathies to everyone else's here for the loss of your grandma... take care and we'll see you next week.

Sel - great photo! I'm gonna have to check that site out sometime!

Jamie - good luck on the HO insurance shopping. In California, the market for homeowner's insurance is TOUGH. One of Jim's buddies just found out that his policy is going to be nonrenewed at the end of this month, so he's frantically looking for new coverage. It ain't easy because a lot of insurers are trying to pull out of the California HO market...because of all the catastrophic losses we've had in the past ten or so years - earthquakes, storms, El Nino, firestorms, etc. etc. Not to mention lawsuits!

Other than cleaning stalls (which is probably what I'll be doing tomorrow - it actually beats cleaning the cat box IMO ) I've got some heavy reading planned - I want to get into the CKD book, the Schwarzbein Principle, and maybe skim BRX. Jim's going up to Marin to do some recording tomorrow (of course he's gonna make it up to me next weekend by taking me to a horse show up near Sacramento but he doesn't know that yet! ) so I will have lots of time to read (probably time I should be spending cleaning the house but my priorities are different). I feel like I need to do something new...just to shake things up a bit for summer - I'm kind of in a holding pattern right now which is fine actually - it's more like wanting a change of pace, ya know?

I did read a great (non-fitness-related) book this week...if you enjoy biographies, check this out - "Bombshell" by David Stenn, which is about the 30's movie star Jean Harlow. Mr. Stenn is a wonderful biographer - he does his research well. I had read his previous book about Clara Bow ("Runnin' Wild") and that was excellent - like the Clara Bow biography, "Bombshell" shatters a lot of myths and rumors that have tarnished the memory of Harlow. HIGHLY recommended by moi

Okay! Time to get some *real* work done!
Closed Thread