Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 06:26 PM   #16  
Mel

Default lost kitty

Karen- we've looked everywhere! We know she is in the basement, but not picking easy spots like under the sofa. She's hiding either in piles of insulation in a back corner (not real good for her, and not somewhere I want to go diving) or behind about 100 cartons- speaker boxes, computer boxes, china and crystals boxes, etc. She's really slinky and crawled through a 6" hole in a ceiling panel from the finsished part of the basement into the workshop!
Old 03-31-2003, 06:28 PM   #17  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hey - I live in California - not many basements here

Megan also hid in the linen closet when we first got her...it's amazing how cats can noodge themselves into the tiniest spaces!
Old 03-31-2003, 06:49 PM   #18  
Meg

Yeah, we had a cat drop out of the suspended ceiling in the finished part of the basement, almost on my head. That took several years off my life! Like yours, it was a new kitty who hid in the basement and crawled into the drop-down ceiling from the laundry room ... and ker-plunk! This one also used to literally "climb the walls" -- we had a kind of grass-cloth textured wallpaper in the bedroom and up a corner of the wall he'd go! Then he'd get stuck ...
Old 03-31-2003, 07:51 PM   #19  

Hi everyone just checking in and wishing everyone a good week ahead.
mel- good luck finding the kitty soon. everytime i see one of those notices regarding a lost pet i wonder how the pet must feel lost!
Old 03-31-2003, 09:11 PM   #20  
mox

Default Howdy

Hey, everyone. I've been keeping up with all of the great posts (barely -- this is a wonderfully talkative bunch) but have been short of time to write.

For the last week or so, I've been slacking a little on the lifting and upping my cardio because I want to gain some endurance for all of the hiking/stair climbing I'm going to be doing on vacation. Does this sound right? It feels a little weird, though, not to be lifting as much, but I'm a bit time crunched right now, and can't get both in.

Does anyone else notice how much work you have to do to get ready to take time off of work for vacation? I'm doing 2x the work right now to get everything done in time. But, it'll be great to be traveling around for a whole month! Woohoo. The last time I was able to take this much time off of work was 12 years ago, so I'm really relishing the thought.

Sorry for not doing individual replies to everyone -- but, I hope both the kitty and a great, inexpensive bikini get found!

Ciao for now. Mox
Old 03-31-2003, 10:11 PM   #21  
ebe
noob

hi everyone =)

woot i measured myself in a few spots this morning and am down about 1 inch in the waist and .5 in the hips.
PLUS 12.5 inch biceps flexed.....
my upper body is getting so cut and nice and my thighs are humongous!!!!!!!!!!!!! argh!!!!!!!!!
they will really be the LAST to go i can see...but i'm happy to still be making progress and being relatively comfy as far as food.

i have had fat legs my whole damn life. i swear i will not give up until those damn leg measurements go down....damn damn damn
its just so frustrating.....but i have patience
and loose black pants to wear to the gym rofl!

tidey good luck on the bikini damn you should wear it proudly!..err sorry i'm cursing a lot today lol.
try to save up some money and get a nice one because you definately deserve it! i don't even know what its like to have boobs.....i'm on my way to an A cup at this point.

mel you seriously kick butt! i like me-me-me posts. get to hear more about what people are doing and stuff. Get lean sounds tough, is it a hard program to follow?
good luck with kitty, i wish i could have a pet.

aiy.....so tired, have to hit the hay. everyone else keep it up. you are all great and so inspiring everyday
Old 03-31-2003, 10:28 PM   #22  

Mel: Give the Kitty time, she will come around and then you be calling her a little devil for all the things she gets into. We got Archie last year and he hid for a few days, now I can get him to stop meowing at me everytime I come within 3 feet of kitty snacks!! Also, congrats on staying on your plan while away from home. I think that might one of the hardest times for me.

Deb: I'm actually having a hard time with the food. I had a really bad day Saturday, I went and bought Met-RX Vanilla Buttercreme protien shake, which someone had posted as really yummy, and it didn't agree with me. It made it very hard for me to eat for the rest of the day. Tidey has talked about gagging on some foods and that what I've been doing lately. I think it's time for me to try some new recipes from the recipe thread!! Tonight I had 4 egg whites and 1 whole egg fried in Pam with some potatoes on a WW tortilla, very yummy.

Tidey: Whoo! Buy yourself a pretty bikini and who cares if anyone doesn't like it! You deserve it!

I am going to do a cardio workout tonight, 20 min on the jogger machine and I'll be sweating and panting. I did UBWO on Saturday and it feels like I pulled something in my forearm. It hurts just to straighten my arm all the way out. I did ask for a rough WO didn't I? I'll see if it feels better tomorrow.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:17 AM   #23  
Peace with body and soul

Good morning everyone! Low 70's today and SUN! I'm going to dig out short sleeves and try to get out and enjoy a bit of sun today. NOT without my ever-present sunscreen tho.

Have a week or so of catch up time at the office so I hope to get in a few more lunch times of getting some walks in, if nothing more than for my mental state.

Any of you who are periomenopausal notice your pms cycle increasing? Geesh I'm up to a 2wk pms phase now...meaning bloating, cramping, moodiness, etc for 2wks instead of one or a few days. Then I may or may not get the actual period. I was hoping to get through this unassisted, but maybe I should look into some natural therapy of some kind. If any of you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Anyway I'm getting my strength back via Bootcamp. I had been doing a more endurance lifting program but I've abandoned it for lifting heavy again. Its my favorite way to work out and most effective for me as well. I build muscle easily, but don't lose fat easily so I tend to lose more fat w/heavy work than light.

Wish sometimes it wouldn't BE an experiment, that there would be an actual PROVEN formula that worked 100% for everyone. lol

Wishful thinking. lol

have a brilliant day everyone and remember what Billy Blanks says: "Work it baby, Work it!" LOL
Old 04-01-2003, 08:12 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 163/163/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi All -

Ah yes, the bathing suit dilemma. I read once that there are two kinds of women: the kind who buy 2 - 3 suits per season, and the kind that buy 1 every 10 years. I am definitely in the 10 year camp, but am determined to get one good suit this year. I have steeled myself to the fact that it's going to cost $100 bucks. So be it. $100 bucks divided by 10 years....

Clothes shopping was wonderfully rewarding. We had a new Winners go in 10 minutes away, so my DH and I spent a couple of hours (okay, I was a couple hours, he was 20 minutes) trying on stuff. Must have been in that changeroom 6 times. Ended up with a few new things, enough to tide me over until the warm weather. If it ever comes! As I look out the winter we've got about an inch of snow on the ground and more coming down.

Bought myself some new workout clothes - had been wearing the EXACT same shorts/tank for 9 months, so got some long pants to wear on weights days. Can't hack them for cardio, though...way too hot.

All is going well on the program. I'm going to double check my protein totals - the earlier part of this thread made me think hard if I'm getting enough protein, especially seeing as I've settled into 5 meals per day.

Didn't lose any weight last week according to the weekly scale weigh in. Am in Week 10 of C1, but will be satisfied with results even if I don't lost anymore scale weight this challenge.

Diamond Deb, thanks for the Q&A email...tons of great info.

Our house renos continue - we refinished the hardwood floor in our bedroom. Looks awesome, went a dark walnut colour, tremendous disruption. Glad it's done and we're back to normal life without a bed in our dining room.

Have a great week everyone!

BethO
Old 04-01-2003, 08:32 AM   #25  
Ilene the Bean

CAC After a couple of weeks of only weighing in once/week , try weighing yourself once/month... and work from there... Just a suggestion...

Mox Traveling around for a month!! Where are you off to? Do tell, I love to travel through other people’s travels, it’s much cheaper!

ebe Inches Lost good for you!! It does feel wonderful... Thighs I got those too.... humongous, great description of my thighs too..

“Poo I agree, wear the skimpiest bikini and enjoy your new found body... and then you can enjoy another new found body later on when you loose more... and the heck with the neighbors...

Mindi Last year my PMS was like yours.... bad humor and major B***H for two weeks then no period... This year, my last period was about 47 days ago I havent’ started yet.... the one before that was 67 days!! WOOHOO, I just may be almost done with it, wouldn’t that be a dream come true... My moodiness in the last 47 days I must say was only one or two days, and I was super ROARING, OMG get out of my way!! But then I was fine... WHEW!! For me and everyone involved...And the in the last year the actual period has lasted 4 days if that... I find that eating every 2.5 hours is helping me the most I must say. The only sups I take are calcium/magnesium at night before bed for jumpy legs, Oh and the doc had given me estrogen cream to insert virginally, because of dryness, but it was just too messy and chemically smelling it was awful. Then I heard on TV about this teeny tiny pill of estrogen you insert Vagifem, and it is awesome.... No muss no fuss.... I have a male ob/gyn, I wish I could find a female one!! He’s a nice man but .... ya know! A good book is Dr. Northrup’s The Wisdom of Menopause
Like you Mindi I would much rather work heavy than hi rep endurance type programs. And since the discussion on cardio last week on the other thread, well I havent’ done cardio yet this week, I’m just now waiting for the weather to be just a little nicer so that I can either rollerblade or bike....

Jamie Care to join me in a little blading ? I’m with you on the cardio, it must not feel like cardio for me to enjoy it... those machines in the gym are driving me a bit nuts....

Beth O Please don’t send your TO snow this way!! I too went to winners last week and had fun trying on some clothes....bought a 2 pairs of jeans, I LOVE the new ones with lycra in it, that’s all I bought myself, but spent about $200 for DS, he really did need some clothing...

I had great back workout yesterday, and today was shoulders, it felt good... I worked yesterday and went to DD synchronized swimming show last night... She is such a great swimmer.... I love to watch them, and the music they have is so good and up beat! She started swimming at 2 and a half, she jumped in the middle of the pool, NO FLOATERS on because the little dahlin’/devil in disguise didn’t want to,( I was in the pool BTW) and she said “Look mommy I can swim!!” and proceeds to swim to me in the middle of the pool, eyes wide open.... and the rest is history!! She’s swam like a literal fish since...

This morning I’ve just had the best PamCake, I hadn’t made on in a while, and added a T of PB on it... rolled it up and OMG heaven, it was delicious...

I have to go give blood today and get my hair highlighted by my regular hairdresser, then on Saturday her and I are going to see a guy in the BIG CITY , Ottawa, for a good haircut... should be lots of fun...

Have a great day... Later...
Old 04-01-2003, 08:41 AM   #26  
Peace with body and soul

Thanks for the info Meow and Ilene..I see there's hope at the end of this tunnel. Now if I can only get through it w/out committing a homicide or two....hehehe.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:53 AM   #27  
Hot Sauce!

Default Good Morning!

Ilene, I wish I had someone that likes to rollarblade as much as I do. My mom enjoys it alot, but we never can seem to meet up and get it going! Two very different schedules.
This sounds funny, but the house we are putting a bid into is about 10 miles south of where I live now. This may not sound like much, but it is when you live in the subarbs of Detroit. Going too far south can be hazardous to your health.....some of the ghettos of Detroit are just awful. Anyway, we aren't going that far south, but this city doesn't have all the beautiful parks and such that my current city has so I am a little bummed. I am going to be putting lots of miles on my car going to these parks, but well worth it! I am in a catch 22 with our house search. Yes the infamous 8 mile (Eminem's movie) does exist and it is a very real thing. I am not a racist person by any means, but once you cross over 8 mile you end up in some deep ghettos. Right now I live 12 miles north of this area and it is fine. Where we are looking is 10 mile....fine neighborhood, just not as park orientated and beautified as my current city! Our goal is to stay north of 8 mile and so far so good...
I had a great heavy chest/back and shoulder workout last night. I decided to go back to heavy lifting because it is just what I love. I will do 4 weeks of heavy again and than a week of light, alternating that way again. Yesterday I was able to bench 30lbs again and no pain from my shoulder! Yay, soon I will be bursting through my previous records!
I have been struggling a bit foodwise....I think it is almost that TOM and I always seem hungrier the week before and tend to crave some chocolate. I just ate my chocolate oatmeal last night and was ok, but man I don't like the craving!
Mel - I hope that your kitty has come out of hiding!
Old 04-01-2003, 09:06 AM   #28  

hey all!

Ilene and others, thanks for the bikini encouragement My biggest prob is finding a top that is a)supportive and b)not ugly. I think I might just go with a triangle top and to **** with everyone else's opinion LOL

I am still sick but I went and did my legs today. I was a bit weaker , but I was not surprised. I bought a new pair of runners this weekend and while they seemed OK in the store they really gave me left foot a cramp I might try to return them (only wore them for 30min workout, all standing in one place really heh) and get a better pair.

The miser in me wants to keep them and hope that I can break them in, but I KNOW I should buy the best shoes I can afford or I will regret it.

Must return the shoes! MUST! *sigh*

Tidey
Old 04-01-2003, 09:08 AM   #29  
Meg

Morning, gang! How apropos to read your talk about PMS and menopause etc because I am off to the gynecologist in a few hours to discuss menopause and possible hormone replacement. I haven't had a period in about six months -- that's OK -- but have that dryness problem and the damned hot flashes and insomnia. Of course, my biggest fear about hormones is: would they cause weight gain?

And speaking of weight and such, I got my BF checked yesterday and it's back to 12.5% and my hips are down to 35.5 inches, so my killer workouts/cardio for the past four weeks have paid off. The scale is still the same and I am wrestling with a lot of thoughts of where to go from here and what kind of plan to follow and goals to set. I really don't want to go any lower on body fat, so I'm going to have to accept the fact that I will probably never go below 130#. But -- and it's totally stupid, I know -- that number makes me feel like a moose. I know this is my problem and it's all a head thing, but I still have to deal with it.

I'm hoping this is the year that I buy a bathing suit. It's got to have been 20 years since I've bought one, so I'm due! I would pay ANY amount of money for one that looks great!

I'm looking out my window at snow on the forsythia, but spring is supposed to come back tomorrow.

Thanks for the link to that WP article, Mindi. I read it and it brought back all the old, bad memories of Weight Watchers for me. I am so glad those days of counting points are behind me!

Chest day yesterday, shoulders today (I know it's not ideal to do them back-to-back, but it's a weird week). Have a great day and I'll let you know all that I find out about hormones.

Meg
Old 04-01-2003, 10:00 AM   #30  

hi all !!

good to see you all here. you are all such a wealth of fun and inspiration.

Meg -- you KILL me !!! no new bathing suit in 20 years, no shorts to the gym. Meg you have a WONDERFUL new body, now go out and show it off the way you should !! you are such an inspiration. just do it congrats on the BF reading ! i know that you've been working real hard at it -- it's about time it showed up in the numbers too. 12.5% is INCREDIBLE Meg, don't sell yourself short and just start to enjoy it all. i'll be more than thrilled to hear what you find out about the hormones -- i can't believe i have to start dealing with this now too

i took the day off today because i didn't sleep well last night; that's what i get for sleeping on the couch !! YIKES ! i do not like working out when i'm exhausted.

everything is still quiet here in israel, thank God. it looks like we'll be able to stay this way all through the war in Iraq. i pray for the coalition troops !

i'm going to be in lurking mode for awhile. i'm checking into many new things these days, AND working too much again, so i just don't have the time to spend here, which makes me a bit cranky. but i'll be around whenever i can, trying at least to stay caught up with all of you.

have a wonderful week and keep your self-promises !!!

adriana
Closed Thread