Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 02:27 PM   #1  
Searching

Default Some general stuff

Okay I took the recommendation from either here or at L&S (I am just a lurker there, which is sometime frustrating but that is a different story) to read up more on weightlifting. Well I got Muscle and Fitness magazine and I think I rather take ya'lls recommendations for reads because its just a big advertisement.

Secondly do you gals use gloves or not? I am building calluses and they are so painful!!!!

I really appreciated that BFL is a spring board. I am clinging to it pretty tight right now as a newbie. I read parts over and over for clarification and inspiration. I am seeing wonderful results. I put my results into my spreadsheet last night and though I have only seen 4 lbs scale loss I have lost 6.75 inches. I think thats pretty good. I wish I had made an inch goal instead of a scale goal.

Any other recommends would be helpful

Thanks in advance,
Miss Chris
Old 03-27-2003, 03:00 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Chris - didja get Muscle & Fitness HERS or just M&F (the guy mag?). Yup it's true that the muscle mags are filled with ads (they are all owned by supplement companies, after all) but once in awhile you can glean some good info on training, etc. from them...I highly recommend Krista Scott Dixon's Stumptous website as a great free source of nonbiased info! (Check the "Basic Body for Life Information" sticky at the top of the forum for the link).

Gloves - oh yes I definitely wear them - I don't like calluses.

And it's not too late to change your goals! Why not put away the scale until the end of your challenge and just go by tape measure and clothes size? (taking photos is also a good way to gauge your progress - oftimes you won't see any changes until you have two photos side by side!)

Hope that helps - sounds like you're doing awesome!
Old 03-27-2003, 04:42 PM   #3  
Peace with body and soul

Gloves are a must! I have several pairs..colors to match ya know. LOL
Old 03-28-2003, 05:59 AM   #4  

I dont use gloves, but thats only because I like the callouses heh. Makes me feel like Im really "working" somehow. Try the gloves tho, if you like em then use em

PHOTOS! Take photos! OMG. I thought nothing was happening and then I took the photos! Now I am going to take one this weekend just to be able to give myself a pat on the back hehe!

Krista's site RULES. She is funny AND informative

Tidey
Tidey
Old 03-29-2003, 08:52 AM   #5  
Searching

I wish I had taken a before photo. But I know things are happening, I got a muscle on the back of my calf that I haven't had since basketball in highschool. The waist is slow but my pants are so baggy in the butt, hips, and thighs its almost funny. My boobs are standing up(that hasn't happend since my 20's and 2 babies ago!). To top it off I feel awesome!!!

I hear you a little on the calluses Tidey. They are kind of "macho" Who would believe this fat girl body builds? LOL!

I got the regular M&F but found an advertisement for hers. I think I willl check out Barnes and Noble or Borders today for more mags. I was pretty proud of myself for being able to pick the best form and I even knew why.

This last week has been one of temptation but with all the inspiration I find here and at L&S I am going strong. THANKS LADIES!!!!!!

Miss Chris
Old 03-29-2003, 09:42 AM   #6  
Meg

Default Boobs?

What are these "boobs" of which you speak??? Haven't seen nuttin' like that for awhile ...

Meg
Old 03-29-2003, 11:31 AM   #7  
Searching

Talking You know......

My DD pecs. ROFLMAO

Miss Chris
Old 03-29-2003, 11:37 AM   #8  
Meg

Default Note To Self ...

Must do pec flyes .... must do pec flyes ....
Old 03-29-2003, 12:12 PM   #9  

OMG no kidding I keep hoping they'll stop slumping and staring at the floor....

Tidey
Old 03-29-2003, 08:29 PM   #10  
ebe
noob

i don't wear gloves.....

i can't decide if i should or not
Old 04-06-2003, 06:32 PM   #11  
Student of the Hoof

Personally I think the gloves look macho and sexay and cool and all that. I wear black leather ( Harbinger Flexfits ) and they look keen with my nails. I work out in my garage so I'm the only one that sees them, but hey, I'm the one that matters, right!?
Old 04-06-2003, 06:44 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

I love gloves when I don't wear them I can't seem to lift as heavy because the bar hurts my hands.... They do look sexy with nails...
Old 04-06-2003, 07:17 PM   #13  
Mel

Default Mine keep wearing out

And I have yet to find the perfect pair. The ones I bought yesterday don't have padding high enough in the palm and fingers and it was sooo painful doing heavy shrugs and chin-ups today. For me, gloves are a must or I just can't go heavy enough.

mel
Old 04-06-2003, 07:35 PM   #14  
Peace with body and soul

Try some Harbinger gloves, I love mine, they were kinda expensive but worth it.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:47 PM   #15  
ebe
noob

my grip strength is the only thing that i have trouble with =/
sometimes after doing lunges i can barely uncurl my hands....
Closed Thread