Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-03-2020, 11:13 PM   #226  

Location: USA (SW) 02Nov2019 -10 lbs 07Apr2020 -20 lbs 11Nov2020 -30 lbs

S/C/G: 0/-28/-70

Will do!

Today is another tough one. I am suppose to be done eating but I am still hungry. I am hopeful I will stay on track. Thus, I will put in my report now of being on track. Tomorrow is my rest day from exercise and I am looking forward to it. I really wanted to go ice skating today but the session was full. It is probably for the best; I am really tired. The last thing I need is to get injured.

Exercise
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 10-03-2020 at 11:14 PM. Reason: 8862.70S
Pipsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:50 PM   #227  

Default RECALCULATION- Confirmed Weight Loss

Today is a recalculation because after several months I have a confirmed weight loss. The last one was June 18. Since it took me so long to get here, my total number of days is going to jump up. As of today and recalculating based on my new weight, I have 637 days left. My plateau has added almost two months. My new end date is Sunday, July 3, 2022. Still better than what I started with.

Interestingly, if I calculated it roughly how I calculated it when I started this thread, I would have 386 days left.

Not such a great day plan wise today. The first significant overage in a while.

Rest
Calorie Overage

Last edited by Pipsicle; 10-04-2020 at 11:52 PM. Reason: 8907.45N
Old 10-06-2020, 01:45 AM   #228  

636...again....

My missteps yesterday don't bode well for my overall success. I ate above my calorie target for no good reason aside from the fact my internal saboteur managed to grab the reigns. I ate stuff simply because I wanted it. I wasn't particularly hungry or stressed or trying to soothe my injured ego. The food looked yummy and sounded yummy so I ate it. There was a strong objection from my sensible side but it was fruitless. Struggling in a similar way today except I do have a bit more of an appetite. The good news is my sensible side is wining this go around. It is tough and I feel grumpy about it.

Had a big disappointment today. I use to exercise at the community center very close to my house. Two years ago, they tore it down to build a new community center on the same site. I have been eagerly awaiting the oft delayed re-opening. Today was the first day I went to check it out. None of the cardio equipment is a good fit for me. They didn't replace the same machines they had before. Needless to say, it was a total bust. I spent a total of six minutes exercising. On a personal level, it was hard when they closed the old building and I felt like I was saying goodbye to a dear friend. A friend I thought I'd see again. Basically, today I learned I will not see that friend ever again. So I feel very sad. On a more immediate level, I need to go to the rec center tomorrow to make up for this missed session. This puts it back to back to going on Wednesday as well and it may be too tiring.

I still did all three of my walks and rode my bike so I've done enough to mark exercise as a success for today.

Exercise
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 10-06-2020 at 01:50 AM. Reason: 8956.49M
Old 10-06-2020, 11:48 PM   #229  

After dinner, my belly said it was too full and my brain was saying must eat more. Went on a walk and it seemed to have calmed down my brain a bit. Such a frustrating situation though. I had intended to go to the rec center today but pushed it to Thursday instead. Just another ho hum day in the war on fat. The scale is still looking pretty good.

Exercise
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 10-06-2020 at 11:49 PM. Reason: 8962.36T
Old 10-08-2020, 02:08 AM   #230  

As part of my plan, I take supplements. To be clear, none of the supplements are for weight loss. Each one was picked because it is reputed to help with other health concerns (e.g. fatigue, BP). With all supplements, in general, it is kind of hard to tell how if it is really working or not.

Along those lines, I have learned one of my supplements (selected to help with BP) seems to be also helping me with my asthma. I have been out of this supplement for about a week. Correspondingly, I have been having more trouble with my asthma and needed to take medication. I live in area that has been impacted with smoke from wildfires. This has been true all summer long but this is the first week I really needed medicine. I just got more of the supplement today so I'll see how it goes. I looked up the ingredients and some them are shown to have the potential to help with asthma.

Exercise
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 10-08-2020 at 02:09 AM. Reason: 9032.40W
Old 10-09-2020, 02:39 AM   #231  

Well, the scale is finally moving in the right direction. Unfortunately, my eating is moving in the wrong direction. Took my eyes off the prize and made a terrible choice for dinner. Didn't realize how bad it was until it was down the hatch. Typical failure on my part, I was really tired and it was after an emotionally draining event. When I am tired, I make really poor choices. Will do my best tomorrow. Still got all of my scheduled exercise in even though it was really late. I don't have a light on my bike so I tied a flashlight to the handlebars.

Exercise
Calorie Overage

Last edited by Pipsicle; 10-09-2020 at 02:39 AM. Reason: 9062.30R
Old 10-10-2020, 02:23 AM   #232  

Surprise, surprise, surprise! I have a calorie deficit today despite feeling like I ate everything. Really tired today so I didn't make very good choices. Fingers crossed that it won't show up on the scale this week. It will likely show up in a couple of weeks after I have forgotten all about this week. I am losing my focus and nothing good can come of that.

Exercise
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 10-10-2020 at 02:42 AM. Reason: 9092.30F
Old 10-10-2020, 11:18 PM   #233  

So I am on-track (green) for the calorie deficit right now. Not sure if it will stay that way. My silly body is demanding more food even though it will cause a calorie overage. UGH!! So tired of this internal dilemma and the battle of wills against temptation. Scale is still on track to post a lose for tomorrow. Of course, I would like it to be the same or better loss tomorrow. Scale is showing half pound lower than the loss I am trying to confirm tomorrow.

However, if it is going to be worse, I would like it to be worse by a pound and not just a half a pound. That way, it would still be possible to have confirmed drops for the next two weeks. If it is just a half a pound lower, I confirm the weight from last week and will have to wait at least two weeks to be able to confirm a new loss. One week for the new lower weight and the second week to 'confirm' the loss is going to stick around. Me and my rules- LOL!! We all have our set of dieting rules (e.g. calories eaten standing up don't count).

Exercise
Calorie Deficit

EDIT:
Calorie Overage

Last edited by Pipsicle; 10-12-2020 at 12:28 AM. Reason: 9121.29S
Old 10-12-2020, 12:27 AM   #234  

I was able to confirm a half pound loss. Struggling with the eating portion today. With regards to calories, right now I am at the limit of going over. Same place I was yesterday. Yesterday, I caved. Today, I am doing my best not to go over. Stay tuned...

Rest
Calorie Neutral

Last edited by Pipsicle; 10-12-2020 at 12:28 AM. Reason: 9185.64N
Old 10-13-2020, 02:34 AM   #235  

Great News! I was able to stay calorie neutral yesterday. I had a little bit of broth with a fiber supplement mixed in and I put on my belt. It was enough to keep me at the calorie limit. The scale was still playing nice this morning. Today, I was able to create a calorie deficit. Not as large as I would like but a deficit none the less.

Exercise
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 10-13-2020 at 02:35 AM. Reason: 9238.53M
Old 10-14-2020, 01:42 AM   #236  

Remember yesterday when I said I didn't make as large of a calorie deficit as I wanted. Well, I was wrong. I had made a larger one than planned. My planned deficit was already worked into the formula. What I was looking at was the bonus deficit not the whole deficit. To me, it shows the keto sticks are accurate. Last night, it was way too dark for my usual calorie deficit.

My scale played music last night to indicate a new low weight. I about fell over because it feels like these new low weights are so few and far between. It was a nightly check so it was the lowest of the low for reliability. My scale (with no numbers) allows for two people to weigh in. I use one for weighing in at night and one for the morning. I use the morning one for my 'official' weight on weigh in day. This morning, I about fell over again because my scale played music. Sad to say I am still filled with doubt so I feel like this is just a fleeting low. Only time will tell but I am not going to hold my breath. This new low though is the most weight I've ever lost in a sustained effort.

Exercise
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 10-14-2020 at 01:42 AM. Reason: 8294.56T
Old 10-15-2020, 12:00 AM   #237  

The scale stated the same weight as yesterday this morning. Can't help it, despite my doubt, I have my fingers crossed this loss sticks around until weigh-in day. So my plan with regards to eating has degraded quite a bit. The following is what I my goals were:

1. Balance carbs and protein (2:1)
2. Fast twice a week
3. Limit calories

Currently, I am just limiting calories. The intermittent fasting has completely fallen by the wayside. That is true for the most part of balancing carbs and protein. Although, I still eat a lot of things that I had previously paired up to be balanced.

Exercise
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 10-15-2020 at 12:00 AM. Reason: 9340.46W
Old 10-16-2020, 02:40 AM   #238  

The weather was much cooler today so I didn't do my bike ride. That will become true more often as we head into winter. Here's what I've been doing for exercise.

Walking 3x per day/ 6 days a week for 2.4 mile total each day
Bike riding 6 days a week 1.4 mile loop
Elliptical 4 days per week, 20 minutes per session

Exercise
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 10-16-2020 at 02:41 AM. Reason: 9385.45R
Old 10-16-2020, 08:14 PM   #239  

Default snacking

Any recommendations on how to overcome the urge to snack at night ?
kevo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:47 AM   #240  

Hmmm....for overcoming the urge to snack at night, I am more than happy to share what I've tried. I'm not sure I can call them recommendations though- LOL.

Personally, I struggle with the urge to snack at night. Often times it is because I actually feel hungry. If I feel hungry, I have a really hard time falling asleep. Currently what I have been doing is saving a lot of my calories for the evening. I have also been trying to wait to have dinner until after I finish all of my exercise. For me this has two benefits. First, I seem to exercise better on an empty stomach. Kind of along the lines of wait an hour after eating before swimming. Second, it pushes my dinner later and therefore I have less time in the evening to really blow it. I am just now realizing there is a third benefit- it makes dinner feel like a reward. Anyway, as part of my later eating, I make sure I have something I really like in the mix that fits in my calorie allotment. For example today, I had some mini peanut butter cups (Shhh! Don't tell the diet police!). It is not 100% but I do feel like this has helped me of late.

Another thing I will try if the urge will not go away is to take a fiber supplement capsule and have a small snack. A couple of nights ago instead of the capsule, I mixed a small amount of powdered (tasteless, grit-less) fiber supplement in to some chicken broth. That seemed to be successful. I do believe enough fiber is key to weight loss but I wouldn't want to overdue it. In the past, I have tried drinking water or eating a fruit or vegetable. You know, the standard advice given. Neither of those worked for me. My satiety is definitely tied to fat.

Along that line, when I was doing intermittent fasting, I would eat a tablespoon of cream and it helped me immensely. The type of fasting I was doing was supported. By that I mean, according to the book you were allowed to have certain things besides just water or other calorie free non-sweetened drinks.

The other out-of-the-box thing I do is put on my belt. My belt is actually very simple. It is a strip of elastic with a plastic buckle. Perhaps some day I will share the embarrassing story of how I came to own said belt. If the urge to snack is really strong and I know I have had enough to eat, I will wear my belt and drink a can of seltzer water. I don't really like the taste of the seltzer so that helps a bit. My primary theory is doing this will help my stomach clearly tell my brain we are done eating. I also feel like it acts as an external lap band. There was an actual 'device' marketed to work as an external lap band. To me, it looked like an overpriced belt. Often my belt is enough by itself. I will move it around to a couple of places. One place is the typical waist and the other is just under the rib cage.

So all this writing about stopping the urge to snack at night has made me hungry-UGH! I just put on my belt! I may have to open a can of seltzer soon.

Lastly, though it is worth considering if the urge to snack is related to stress. If so, it is helpful to try to find ways to reduce the stress.

Now to return to our usual programming:

The weather was warm enough today so I rode my bike. It was very smoky though. The sky even turned orange. Then it seemed like it was clearing. However, it wasn't. The smoke was higher and the sun was lower.

This morning the scale tied my recent new low weight. Oh my gosh! I feel my hopes rising and I don't want that because they always seem to be dashed. UGH! I'll be holding my breath until official weigh-in day, Sunday. Sad thing is, I am sure just about everyone on their own weight loss journey knows exactly what I am talking about.

Pssssch!! I opened my can of seltzer- Cheers!

Exercise
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 10-17-2020 at 02:53 AM. Reason: 9454.69F