Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-19-2020, 10:40 PM   #211  

S/C/G: 0/-25.5/-70

Home again, home again- jiggity jig! Had safe travels and am glad to be home. Found more and wonderful benefits of my devices. I have been sleeping better and I think it is because I don't have the pain in my ankles and feet. I can reach the floor of the airplane when seated. Typically, my legs dangle the whole flight unless I prop them on something. Usually it is my carry-on so I don't like to do that. Because -ya know- shoes are dirty. I can stand up and leave the plane without pain when we arrive. I can walk up the jet bridge and keep up with the crowd without pulling myself along using the railing. I can now sit on the right side of the airplane. I typically sit on the left side so while waiting to deplane I put my weight on my bad foot and rest my knee of the worst foot on the seat. I'm taller.

Exercise
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 09-19-2020 at 10:41 PM. Reason: 8273.43S
Pipsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:59 PM   #212  

Feeling good using these devices. Although, it has exposed a weakness in my knee and an old injury has flared up. I'm going to baby my knee until it calms down. Unfortunately, that means I'll need to be cautious where I use my new devices. No inclines of any kind until my knee calms down. All of my walks have hills. Still deciding whether or not I want to use them when I ride my bike. Since bike riding isn't load bearing on my legs so much, I don't think I really need them. However, more time in them is better.

I am saying this through gritted teeth since I dislike the task so much- I think logging my food is helping. In particular it is helping me understand when/where I go off the rails. While I was away, I wanted to return to a particular restaurant, mostly because I wanted a type of soda they had. It was fierce battle within myself and in the end I did not go. The funny part is I imagined going so much, part of me thought I went - LOL.

Rest
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 09-20-2020 at 10:59 PM. Reason: 8300.27N
Old 09-22-2020, 02:10 AM   #213  

Exercise was extra hard today between the bum knee and using muscles I didn't use as much before. It has kind of zapped my confidence in my exercise program. My knee is feeling better. I've been very careful with it all day and have been icing it after exercise. Looking forward to more improvement tomorrow!

I keep meeting my exercise and calorie goals but the weight is not coming off. I'll see what the scale says this week. Really hoping it is down further- more improvements may be outside of my reach.

Exercise
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 09-22-2020 at 02:10 AM. Reason: 8353.53M
Old 09-23-2020, 12:25 AM   #214  

Had a great day. I am really tired though. In particular my major leg muscles and gluts are worn out. This is such a good thing for a couple of reasons. First, I often have trouble going to sleep and I am hoping to go right to sleep tonight. Second, it means I am strengthening my legs in ways that I wasn't easily able to before. My knee is feel better and as such walking is better. I've learned the walking poles I was so dependent on before my leg devices are slowing me down. On my longest walk today, I walked 10% faster without them. My bike ride time is much slower since my legs are so worn out.

It is just so strange. I need to do the opposite of so many things I use to do to compensate. It is also really motivating. I can tell how much better I would be without this weight. I am working harder than ever to get the extra weight off.

Exercise
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 09-23-2020 at 12:26 AM. Reason: 8374.21T
Old 09-23-2020, 10:59 PM   #215  

Something has changed and it is rather dramatic. I have more energy and focus. In addition, my appetite is well under control. I just feel different. I don't know how this could all be because of my new devices. I hope it stays. Today, I ate well below my calorie limit and I am done eating for the day. I'm not stress out because I want to eat more nor am I white-knuckling it with will power.

My knee is better but still tender. There were times at the rec center while I was on the elliptical where it didn't hurt at all!

Exercise
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 09-25-2020 at 01:47 AM. Reason: 8415.41W
Old 09-25-2020, 01:56 AM   #216  

The scale said it was a new low weight today. At which, I scoff. I know by the time official weigh-in day arrives it will pop back up. I'd like to believe it is the fruition of my hard work but it has been such a long plateau. I flatly refuse to get my hopes up.

My leg muscles are very tired tonight. I am moving much better in my devices and I am walking faster. My knee is better and I am hopeful it will be back to normal in a couple of days. On Saturday, I am going to swim 500 yards. At least, that is the plan. If I can do it, I am going to register for a virtual triathlon. The beauty of the virtual triathlon is I can break up the activities across a couple of days. Actually, I am fairly confident I can do the swim portion without an issue. It is the 'run' portion that is my nemesis. I'll have to walk it again this year. I need more time to build up my supporting leg and core muscles before I can run in my new devices.

Exercise
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 09-25-2020 at 01:56 AM. Reason: 8439.24R
Old 09-26-2020, 12:24 AM   #217  

I about fell over this morning because my scale started playing music. My scale has no numbers and only announces the change in weight. If it is lower than the day before, it also plays applause. If it is a new low weight, it plays music. So according to my scale today was a new low weight for the second day in a row. I won't fall for it. It has been such a long slog, I simply don't believe it. I will wait to see what it says on Sunday my formal weigh-in day. Even more important is what it says on next Wednesday or Thursday for my end of the month weight.

On a consistent basis, I weigh twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. These results are relatively meaningless. Unless it is something unusual, I only pay mind to my weekly weigh-in. To make sure I am not hanging my hat on a false loss, I need to see the loss again on another weekly weigh-in for for me to really count it. This levels out natural fluctuations. If these recent losses actually stick around until weigh-in day, I have a decision to make. Since it has been so long, do I count it a pending confirmation next week or should I confirm it against losses I saw so long ago?

Thinking it through, technically I could treat it as a confirmation. However, I believe it would be more sound to treat it as a pending loss. It could just be a random fluctuation. Funny these rules we set for ourselves while trying to get healthier. I should note, monthly weights are taken raw. No confirmation is needed; the number is what it is.

Very excited because I found an ice skating rink with public skating hours! I really want to go tomorrow. I will hold off though even though it is really disappointing. My knee is still on the mend. Plus, I will be attempting the swim portion of my triathlon tomorrow.

Exercise
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 09-26-2020 at 04:14 AM. Reason: 8462.23F
Old 09-27-2020, 12:05 AM   #218  

Ate more calories today but it was still a calorie deficit by the skin of my teeth. My food choices were poor today. Between that and the typical bump up on weigh-in day, I don't have high hopes for tomorrow.

I invented a new sport today- The Quadathlon! You walk and walk, then swim, then walk, then bike and finally ice skate! I am tired. My housework was just about completely neglected today.

Exercise
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 09-27-2020 at 12:07 AM. Reason: 8515.53S
Old 09-28-2020, 12:36 AM   #219  

Kind of sort half on track. The scale let me keep half of the weight loss I saw earlier in the week. I count it as pending. I need to be at this weight or lower on a weigh-in day within the next four (maybe five) weeks for me to consider it a confirmed loss. I started off today exceptionally poorly with a fast food breakfast. Jeez- what was I thinking. Really, I wasn't thinking and just wanted the energy boost I get from it. In the end, I was able to maintain my calorie deficit despite my efforts at self sabotage.

Today was my (well deserved) rest day from exercise. Tomorrow, I will do the bike portion of the virtual triathlon. The swimming yesterday was for the first part of it. I've wised up a bit and will cut back on my other exercise. I still need to register for the race. Hopefully, there will be no hiccups. My knee is not 100% yet but it is feeling much better. As a result, I have been looking at the exercises list that I am suppose to be doing to strengthen my body to work with my new leg devices. Holy Crikey! It is filled with things like the 'medicine ball slam' and 'landmine'. I'm really not sure if I am capable of that intensity. I'll have to give it a go though as I want the most out of these as I can get.

Rest
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 09-28-2020 at 02:17 AM. Reason: 8583.68N
Old 09-28-2020, 10:22 PM   #220  

What a great day! The weather was perfect for doing the bike portion of my virtual triathlon! I was very nervous about it because the route is ten times longer than my evening bike ride. I set up the route as a loop that passed by my house. Never being far from home made me feel better. Most of the stretches I have ridden regularly at one point or another either from previous triathlons, picking up my daughter from school, or my current evening route. The remaining stretch was through a fairly quiet neighborhood. Most importantly, I avoided 'heart attack' hill that my usual triathlon race goes up. It is a steep hill that is a mile in length.

I thought I would start to have trouble midway through the second loop but it was fine. In fact, the third loop was the best because I knew I didn't have to save anything for another loop. On my usual evening ride, I ride about 8-9 mph. My average speed for the triathlon was 9.4 mph! The app to track it was a little tricky but it worked in the end. It was interesting to look at the data it collected. It took me 86 minutes to bike 14 miles. Currently, I am guaranteed second place for my age bracket. That's never happened before!

I'll do the 'run' portion on Wednesday. I put it in quotes because even with my fancy devices I will still have to walk it. No running until I properly develop my core strength.

Exercise
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 09-28-2020 at 10:24 PM. Reason: 8645.62M
Old 09-29-2020, 10:14 PM   #221  

Never have I ever had a third new low weight within a week until this morning. We'll see if anything sticks for tomorrow, the end of the month. It was quite a shock but this summer was so rough with regards to plateau. I'm not buying any new low weight until I can confirm it with two weekly weigh-ins. Even if it stays, it will not be enough to say the number of days left in my countdown is accurate. I will recalculate this Sunday.

I rested up today for the last leg of my triathlon tomorrow. Hopefully, I have the app all figured out and get my times entered in properly. I looked on-line and my bike time didn't show up. They may be waiting until the last race day (tomorrow) before making the times available.

Rest
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 09-29-2020 at 10:16 PM. Reason: 8670.25T
Old 09-30-2020, 10:01 PM   #222  

The last leg of my triathlon is done. It went great! This was the run portion but I have to walk it. This was the first time I didn't have to stop and give my foot a chance to recover. I also didn't have to carry extra shoes in an effort to help my bad foot do better by switching mid-race. Usually, I wear a bike jersey like many of the other competitors. The jerseys have pockets on the back. They would use them for water bottles. I used mine for the extra shoes. There were still some issues even with the devices. I'll need to ask the designer about them. All of my times are formally submitted so now it is a waiting game until the official results are announced.

I realized I could jump back into my regular exercise program after my triathlon leg. I didn't have to save anything for another event. So in addition to walking a 5k this morning, I went to the rec center and later took a bike ride. My knee did well on the elliptical at the rec center. I am hopeful it will be back to normal in a few days. As for my bike ride, it was one of my fastest rides to date.

Weight loss wise, I did well this month and the scale showed a three pound loss for the month this morning. This is great in my book! I will check my weight tomorrow and decide which value I want to use. When I felt confident and was doing well, I took the lowest number. However, I haven't felt that way for a few months now so I have been taking the highest number. It is to hedge my bets and makes it feel like it is a lower risk with regards to regain. I am much happier with a super slow but consistent and steady weight loss. This is in comparison to ups and downs that include regains.

Exercise
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 09-30-2020 at 10:03 PM. Reason: 8710.40W
Old 10-01-2020, 10:15 PM   #223  

Eh, I am not surprised. My weight was up a half a pound. Since I am in a period of wavering confidence, I will use the higher of the two weights for my official monthly weight. That means for September, I lost 2.5 lbs. I am very happy with that. That is right on track with my planned loss. Hopefully, that other half pound is waiting in the wings to give October a boost.

I'm not quite done eating for today but have enough calories left for a lovely snack. My snack is planned and in my food journal. I feel confident I will be able to stay below my calorie limit. Although, I should knock on wood. My appetite has been kicking up a lot this evening.

Exercise
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 10-01-2020 at 10:16 PM. Reason: 8762.52R
Old 10-03-2020, 12:54 AM   #224  

So, I am losing track of which number to use to calculate my calorie deficit. Should I use my historic number, the average calorie intake from the week where I finally seemed to start losing or the value calculated by the NIH calculator? LOL. Trying to be healthier is making me crazy. Not overeating today was really hard. In the end, I was able to keep below my limit. My stupid appetite is rearing its ugly head. I've decided the first time it shows up in the day, I will take a fiber supplement. My hope is that it will calm my appetite down to a manageable level. Only once a day though, I definitely don't want to over do it.

With more things open, I have working on getting back to my pre-Covid exercise routine. However, I am having trouble cutting out my post-Covid routine. Now I am doing both which is a bit much but I am afraid to change anything. I feel like if I do, the scale will stall out again. To complicate matters, I haven't even added in what I am suppose to be doing to strengthen certain muscles for my new leg devices.

Exercise
Calorie Deficit

Last edited by Pipsicle; 10-03-2020 at 12:56 AM. Reason: 8792.30F
Old 10-03-2020, 05:06 PM   #225  

keep pushing
LaurenCarson is offline   Reply With Quote