Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 06:30 AM   #136  

Smile Fabulous Friday!!!

Hello all!

Friday always is my favorite day. Things here are calming down some... We found out a few weeks ago that just before we
had left for Florida, DS had not only been fired from his job but arrested for stealing from his employer. The merchandise never left the store but he was caught redhanded and they pressed charges. In more ways than one, DH and myself found this to be
the last straw. DH can easily be manipulated by guilt but realizes this situation was beyond the pale. There was no "gray area" or "benefit of the doubt". The store's employee handbook had pages of info about the security cameras, a reward system to turn in fellow employees, etc, etc. It was a case of " I can beat the system".
The hearing was earlier this week and now DS has probation and community service. We chose not to go w/ him as part of the problem is that DS expects us to clean up every crisis he creates.

One thing for sure, I have learned that the expression "Makes you wonder how they were raised... " is entirely untrue.

Empress- I was wondering if my low mood of late was also partly hormonal- and then was wondering why I have to find a physical cause- maybe I was just sad??

Punkin- Congrats on pounds down! Glad you spoke to the Dr about the headache/blood pressure issue. I know it can be a challenge when so many other things are going on too but don't forget to get those vegatables and fruits in-- even if its a V-8 drink-- I have to force myself to get my supplements in every day-
When I am extra stressed, its so easy to forget!

And in fact, let me take them now!!

Frogger- I am so confused- the house you bought is 2 hrs away from where you are now? And now both you and you new DH have a much longer commute? Or perhaps DH's job is closer to the new house? Or is it that the job is moving 2 hrs away? I give up....

have a good one all!

Thought of the day :

"Be yourself. You are the best at it."
-- Bob Perks

Question of the day :

" Can you remember your favorite toy as a child?"
-- Table Topics
Old 07-18-2003, 07:44 AM   #137  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Angry Day 2

Good Morning, All!

Day 2, here. Yesterday's Day 1 went swell, and I had another assignment that was about as low-stress as those things can be, finished close to deadline

I'm going to spare you all the novel-length post today I'm supposed to be going to the beach for the first time this summer. I love the shore so much - even more than the woods, if the truth be told! Water nymph today

Kaylets, do you think your mood is related to the difficulties with DS? It must be so terribly stressful for you Problems with our kids is absolutely the WORST! In any case, moods can be hormonal any old time, and we can always find something that we're unhappy about, too. But if we just go ahead and feel it, we get through to the other side and feel better.

Yeesh! I just thoughtlessly went back to the previous page to see more posts. And miracle of miracles, my post was still here when I paged ahead again. Unbelievable!

Amarantha, I didn't feel pressured, I just wanted to make sure you knew why I was clinging, limpet-like, to this thread only instead of joining the official 21-Day Challenge thread.

Punkin, a huge congrats on that 216!!!!! Can't wait to see where you are by Labor Day. Here's to both of us being in Onederland!

Re: chemo - isn't it the case that people respond to specific drugs differently and the rate of hair loss indicates how well a chemo drug is working? That was what my friend was told, so I've always thought the hair loss was a good sign.

OK, my Darlings! I'm off - I am sworn to clean my house this morning. Big party tomorrow and I want the day to be as relaxing as poss. instead of frantic prep from the get-go. Let's make this a wonderful day! Love to all, mentioned or unmentioned!

Last edited by Arabella; 07-18-2003 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:22 AM   #138  
deleted2

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ARABELLA!
Thank you for incarnating into this "vale of tears" and adding so much to every life you touch! You're one of my favorites! And I'm so envious of your beach trip---I can't wait to go back. Is it close? For us, it involves driving over 5 hours, so it's a real project.

Punkin, you're a wonder indeed. You're doing so well and I'm glad the mystery is solved [the dizziness, that is!]. Very cool that your stepdad's being so sweet to shave his head. Solidarity!

Kaylets, I can't imagine how difficult it must be for you and DH to deal with your stepson. Heartbreaking---I'm truly sorry that you have to go thru it.

Amarantha, Some days one just feels melancholy. [Wow, isn't that an old-fashioned word?! Conjures up visions of tragic heroines moping around the dreary castle on the moors or something....] And I wish I were a hat person; I don't know if I can pull it off though----hey, I did really enjoy wearing my witch hat at the HP midnight hoohah though!

Have a great weekend, every body! My plan is to stay beautifully on track--work out, eat well, etc.

Old 07-18-2003, 10:26 AM   #139  

I think I need a strategy for reading this thread. I've had a crazy amount going on at work this week, and now when I check back in, there's a flood of posts! Let me just say that you all rock. You do. It's so nice to see such a supportive group of people.

Punkinseed, congratulations on the weight loss! Keeping it together diet-wise during a stressful time is something that a lot of people struggle with; it's awesome that you are doing it.

Cerise, I think it's so cool that you have the confidence to pose nude. I could never do that. I'm a lot more comfortable with my body now than I was last winter, and I still feel self-conscious just thinking about it.

Um, um... oh man, I can't remember everyone's names. I have to check in more often and then I'll keep it all straight.

Anyway, I made some unfortunate food choices this week, but overall I was pretty good. I have been slack with the cardiovascular exercise, though. Funny how one break day becomes five so easily.

Today's my weekly weigh-in, and I'm down a pound, so I've lost 30 pounds total. Plan for this weekend: running! aerobics! cardio of any sort! After being in the office all week, I need it.

Have a lovely on-plan day, everyone!
Old 07-18-2003, 12:35 PM   #140  
Is it Friday yet?

Well it's Friday.... I hesitate to say "happy" Friday because it's been a hellish morning - our company cell phones aren't working and I want to rip the head off of one of my clients.... other than that, happy Friday!

Amarantha, I'm sorry you're feeling sad. I've had the unexplainable blues before too and it's so hard.... I hope you're feeling more yourself soon!
I just might make hats a habit now too - I really like the one I have now!

Kaylets, you and your DH are obviously very strong people. Your son's putting you through some incredible stress - and you're right, you really do question that old saying in times like these. Hopefully, like my brother did, your son will find his way - that it's sooner than later.

Arabella, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
About the whole chemo/hair loss thing - honestly I think it's a matter of "ask 100 Drs. 1 question you'll get 100 different answers" - they all have an opinion, most of them different (hence the confusion on her treatment in the beginning). Her oncologist said to expect the hair loss any time after 10 days had passed from her first treatment. She was on day 15 when it really started coming out.

Speaking of the soon to be hair-less Momma and stepDaddy - since they both refuse to let me shave my head (I know I'm an adult and could still do it, but I understand their reasons and respect them), I've decided instead to grow out my hair for the next year or so and then donate the ponytail to Locks Of Love. So, next year when Mom's hair is growing back, I can help create a curly red headed wig for a little kid who's loosing theirs due to chemo or other disease. The decision's been made!

Metta, I've actually resorted to taking notes as I read the posts so I can remember what I wanted to say to whom! Otherwise I'm lost - there's so many of us and we're all so busy!
And a big BRAVO and YOU GO GODDESS for the loss of 30 pounds!!!!

Q o' the Day ~
Favorite toy as a child hands down were my Hot Wheels.

Terri
of Friday, and do now declareth it FRIDAY!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 03:33 PM   #141  

Default lurking

Just lurking around reading some posts thought i would check in.

Im really struggling and thats what brought me here. I cant explain the food consumption(behavior) I am really disappointed in myself. Also im not exercising..however i do play coed basketball on thursday but thats not enough. I cant seem to pull myself to the gym. I feel doomed and exhausted. I havent been using my sleep apnea mask in a while and im sure there is a connection to my mood with that. ITs just so hard. Its such and easy formula eat right+exercise+mask+medication= healthy life.

Ok so i am going to challenge myself to eat right, exercise, mask, medication for pulling this off all weekend long. Weekends are easier to be healthier because i have no food in the house, walking because i have more time, medication is easy,the mask is really the tough one this weekend. Friday is bagel day and junk day. And boy it was so sinful today. I would say it was close to a binge. The only thing different from a binge is that i didnt feel sick afterwards.

Have a good weekend ladies.
Sheryl
Old 07-18-2003, 05:53 PM   #142  
Hot Stuff

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ARABELLA!!! (In sea-green, for our Water Nymph!)

Old 07-19-2003, 06:31 AM   #143  

Smile Simply Saturday!

Hello all!!

Thanks for the support and kind words regarding DS. My DH has really been changed the most as he now also sees himself as "enabler" rather than just "generous". And yes, its so true, the choices are only DS. Both DS and DD ( my step children) were raised together, same environment and they are like night and day. DD is a hard worker, (two jobs sometimes) and never asks for anything. In fact, is mortified when she has to ask.

Am going to a 6 hr "officers training" for Toastmaster's today.
Did I mention I'm now VP of Membership?? Hee hee- I thought I was the shy one!!

Scooby! SO GLAD TO SEE YOU! PLEASE POST MORE OFTEN!

Today's thought is:

It had long since come to my attention that people of
accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to
them. They went out and happened to things."
-- Elinor Smith

Question of the day :

"Do you say 'yes' to your friends when you want to say 'no' ?"
-- Table Topics

Take care all
Old 07-20-2003, 06:26 AM   #144  

Smile Scrumptious Sunday!

Hello all!!

Got up an hour ago becuase the dogs were begging for breakfast and just now starting to think I'll stay up rather than go back to bed.

I had a Toastmaster's Officers Training yesterday so DH went yardsaling w/o me.
Guess his heart wasnt in it- he wound up at Trader Joe's instead. He did find a great
Spinach & Cheese Pie by The Fillo Factory which was tasty and very reasonably priced.
Can't really justify making it it was inexpensive. No hydrogenated oil, no yeast,
and REALLY flaky. Nothing like the tough dried up one that we had in the restaraunt.

DH also bought me a tub of the Chocolate Chip Meringue's which was not the best
choice. Off track but not too bad and as I always say, if you are going to
use extra points -- do it on something worthwhile. These meringues are the best!

DH's sugar numbers are too high this am which is a big warning for him.
Got to find some more "safe" foods to make things more interesting. We've both
been "coasting" and are really starting to lose our momentum.

I had chosen today's thought before DH told me his blood sugar numbers so
guess it was a case of "meant to be".....
Thought of the day :

"The only thing that ever sat its way to success was a hen."
- Sarah Brown

Question of the day :

"If you could invite anyone in the
United States to dinner who would
you invite?
What would you serve?"
-- Table Topics

Take care all!!
Old 07-20-2003, 07:38 AM   #145  
Hot Stuff

I refuse to be a ! Great quote today, Kaylets! How did your training go? Sorry to hear about the trouble with DS. Frustrating, isn't it, to want to strangle them at times?

Scooby, glad you're back! Climb on board the wagon, we've installed shoulder belts!

Punkin, great idea to donate hair to Locks of Love. I understand why your mom doesn't want you to shave your head even though you would do anything to support her. Glad the dizziness is nothing serious. Congrats on the fabulous loss!

Metta, congrats on 30lbs lost!!!

Arabella, I'm jealous! A day on the beach on PEI! No, it doesn't look like I'll get there this year. But I will eventually, and we will definitely get together!

Eydie, good for you on standing up to the toxic co-worker! It's hard to do when you know you still have to work with them every day. Hope she got the message loud and clear.

zadie, were you eating frozen bananas in chocolate? They're yummy, and actually not so bad for you.

Anagram, ceara, frogger...how goes it?

I did a fresh start yesterday and also joined Amarantha in the 21-Day Challenge. Seemed I'd gotten off track with my workout schedule and sometimes eating OP and sometimes not. So, the beauty of all this being that we can start over anytime we want, I did! Had a good Day 1, and know I can tackle Day 2!

Here's to us!

Old 07-20-2003, 09:24 AM   #146  

Hi Wildfire-

Yes, you are so right-- Start fresh anytime we like and we're never behind... don't have to "catch up" -just start right where we are...

As for who I 'd have for dinner-

How about - ALL OF YOU!!
And lets see..... what would we have--
First for starters-- A monster salad, and how about some sword fish w/ mustard sauce and/or Tofu w/ the same mustard - and grilled sweet potatoes and lots of other grilled vegs-- portabellas,etc. But appetizers would be nice.... and dessert too... hmmm....let me put some more thought into this...

Time to start some laundry...
Old 07-20-2003, 01:57 PM   #147  
caffeine free!

Hello All,
I am truely flakey right now re: time I get to log on to the internet. Less then 10 days till the bar. I am starting to get very stressed. I am a stress eater, so it is two different forces at war with eachother, stress eating versus trying to stay on the plan. I am doing better than I expected, but not too great. Watched 48 hours yesterday and it was all about weight so I am a little more on track today.

So, a friend of mine is thinking of doing something that I consider really stupid, aka cheating on husband. I know she does not want advice or a lecture but in this particular situation it would be really bad. The guy is someone from our coffee shop and it would screw up her marriage (which is happy) plus it would screw up the dynamic at our hangout. I think this idea may be an outgrowth from graduation and moving on from that inot something else that is unknown.

well, gotta run.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:07 PM   #148  
Empress/Queen

Yo! Drive by postie on way to couch!!! If I could have anyone to dinner, I think it'd be great to have the kindred spirits from this board!

Hope everyone is doing as well this Sunday as I am!!! My challenges and foodwatch are going well (calorie wise, if not the best choices). I'm wearing my smaller jeans. I am ignoring the looming of a difficult workday tomorrow.

Zadie: Good luck on the bar exam! Sad about your friend, but as you've already noted, she probably isn't in the market for advice right now. It's hard to be silent sometimes, though, isn't it? Good luck on that as well.

Punkin: Keep on truckin' ...

To all mentioned and unmentioned, Avanti!
Old 07-21-2003, 06:48 AM   #149  

Smile Marvelous Monday!

Hello all!

Zadie- I can relate w/ the friend issue- very tough to stay silent-
very hard to see our friends move in a direction where we totally disagree. In fact, I might say that much -- but then again, I don't know without being there.

Empress- Congrats on small size! Know that must have made your day!

----
So, here we go Monday, here we go!
Come on now, a little louder...

"HERE WE GO MONDAY, HERE WE GO!!"

I know what you're thinking... Monday's are the worst! I know, I know, wouldnt it be great if...
But, when I look at it this way... How many Monday's do I have left?? Do I really want to waste one by just having a negative attitude??
I remember not that long ago, how I would ruin most of Sunday dreading Monday. "I'm always tired, hungover, rushed, hungry, ......."
You name it, I had a reason to drag thru Monday.
And ruin most of Sunday complaining that Monday was coming.
-- Somewhere the expression " Life is not a dress rehersal " found me and it hit the bullseye!

Sure, I still think Monday would be so much better if I was...... but I sure am glad to have a job. I have learned there is one guaranteed way NOT to have a hangover and that mornings start off better if you do what you can the night before. And sometimes, when Monday's are getting the best of me, I try to imagine how'd I feel in the same situation if it was Thursday or Friday.

So.... are you ready... HERE WE GO MONDAY, HERE WE GO!!
HERE WE GO MONDAY, HERE WE GO!

Thought of the day :

"It's never too late to start an adventure"

Question of the day :

"How do you feel when you shop for new clothes?"
-- Table Topics

Gotta run- have the best day all!

Healthier than I've been in years and it really is starting to show- physically and mentally!
Old 07-21-2003, 07:58 AM   #150  
Momma Frog

Good Morning All! Forgive the short posts this week as I need to get all my work done here at work so I can get out on time to finish packing up the house. We have most things packed but there are those few 'odd' items that you can't find a box to fit it in etc.

Just wanted to say that low carb is deffinatly paying off this time around. I haven't weighed yet this week, but I will let you guys know.

OK gotta jet. Hugs to you all!

Cerise-WALK WOMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread