Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 01:16 PM   #1  
Is it Friday yet?

Default *oooh, ahhhh* It's the Independence Firecrackers!!!!

Welcome one and all!

Our weight loss journey continues! In 5 weeks it will be the 4th of July. What can you accomplish by that date? A new size? A new range of numbers? A new exercise habit?
You have 5 weeks! We can do SO much!

So is this a challenge? Perhaps, if you want it to be. If not, you're still welcome to pull up a chair and join in the conversation. There's strength in numbers, and there's not a pound of that can beat us!

Make sure you keep your eyes to the sky!

Punkin o' Friday, your faithful servant....
Old 05-28-2003, 02:12 PM   #2  
Momma Frog

Hello punkinseed!!!

By the 4th I'd like to be at least 10lbs lighter. I hope I can do that. I think I can!!!!!!

Anyway for those that may not check the other thread here are the wedding pix that are up at the moment. You can find them at
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.js...13_80076936305

I posted 2 actual pictures on the old thread. More to come on ofoto so check that link often.

Here's to independance day lighter=free er.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:18 PM   #3  
Momma Frog

Dang, the link doesn't work unless your a registered user. I guess I'll have to just post the highlights.

Here's our cake (it was YUMMY too!) The man stuffing his face in the leather jacket is my sister's husband John. The younger guy hiding behind the pole in the blue shirt is my nephew David. (He's the one that is 6 mos. older than me)
Old 05-28-2003, 04:28 PM   #4  
caffeine free!

Hello all,
Brand spanking new to this board and needing some sort of challenge.

So, my plan is to be down to 150 by July 4th (loss of 9 pounds), stay below 1500 calories a day and stay below 35 grams of fat a day. I am only 5 foot 2 (and wishing I was 5 foot 7 in which case I would not feel inclined to lose anything, hehe) and had some surgery a couple of years ago that totally messed with my metabolism (there really are no diet plans designed for post-menopausal 30 year olds).

I would also like to develop some exercise plan that I do not get bored with. Maybe walking half of my commute.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:18 PM   #5  
deleted2

Thanks to Punkin for starting the thread.

I want to be an Independent Firecracker! I just love the sound of that! It's ambitious, but I'd love to get down to 142 pounds by July 4th. That would mean a loss of about 6 pounds; it doesn't sound like much but my weight adores me and doesn't want to let go.

Old 05-28-2003, 10:12 PM   #6  

I'd like to join in on this pursuit of health, fitness and happiness.
And plan to let freedom ring for five traitorous pounds.

Sparkle on and let's hear a few booms.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:21 PM   #7  
wsw

i'm in too! i am committing to: losing weight (hoping for -3lbs), writing down my food daily, and exercising 4 days/week minimum. thanks for starting this thread, punkin.looking forward to seeing even more weddng pix, mrs. frogger. take care, all.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:02 AM   #8  

Hello all!

Thanks for a "Booming " start Punkin!! Independence Day -- Independence Challenge-- Hmmm- - I might feel a musing coming on!!

Welcome Zadie! So glad you stopped by-- pull up a chair, grab some NO GUILT and FRESH START Cards and tell us some more about yourself please!

And Punkin, did you notice if we come out on the porch ( screened and w/ ceiling fans of course), how the fireworks reflect on the water??

Ok- here I go-- I will come down off the fence and make some goals---Photos from the family party made me see that although 45lbs down is real progress, there is yet work to be done!

For the challenge I will: --
Drink at least 4 liters of water
I will do some kind planned activity at least 5 days a week--
I will continue to climb stairs
I will remeasure, reweigh, reevalulate all foods to relearn portions, etc

I am not going to set a scale number as another goal.

Wouldnt it be great if we had a Personal Trainer ?? Hmmm- or would I prefer a personal housekeeper...??
------------------------
Today's thought of the day:
" Keep It Simple Sweetie" - from Kaylets
------------------------
Today's question of the day
"How often do you listen to music? Why? "

Ms Frogger, the 2nd photo looks great, outdoor weddings photos are always so pretty!

To everyone : -- It occurs to me, that up unitil my " Prefer" post, I havent been very vocal about how much I rely on all of you. Very few groups last longer than a few challenges. I'm a newbie at a year, I know many of you have been together longer than that--

I have intermittently joined other threads but most 'didnt fit'-
The dynamics of this group kept me here. Each contribution makes us what we are as a group. When one of us is unable to be here, we miss them.
I am guilty of letting the circus music get too fast and forget to
"appreciate" all of your efforts.
You're all the best!

Take care!

Take care all-
Old 05-29-2003, 06:37 AM   #9  

Welcome, Zadie.

Thanks for the thread, Punkin. And so happy you and Mom are going to do the 5K. Isn't it wonderful to think it may all be gone already and that you just need the "fortress" to keep it away.

Lovely pics, Frogger. Maybe we need "one a day" like a vitamin to keep bad spirits away.

Kaylets, enjoyed your "poetry" as well. I'm with the thread about nine months I think and it has been a good "fit" for me as well as a lot of support.

Wildfire, I hadn't thought of the expense of dd going to sisters. Yowch, and will she be able to come home at holidays with all that involved?

Ceara, I'm with you on May being over. It has somehow seemed a confusing month to me. And the beginning of a new month is a whole slate of fresh starts.

May be missing a lot from old thread but......

We actually had some sun yesterday afternoon and my body went into shock that it actually got decently warm. Had lunch yesterday with a friend and actually ran into two others while we were there. So it was a nice social day for me. Felt I did ok on the food but it wasn't my skimpiest day. Had only cottage cheese for breakfast to prepare for lunch though.

QOD - not enough. But when I remember that I NEED music, there is so refreshment of life there. I play tapes in the car all the time, sometimes listen to radio. I get a favorite tape and play it to death. Currently it's one by a local group, Arcona Reel Band, and I have a feeling it would really appeal to Wildfire (who has fiddle music in her soul). It's a collection of old folk tunes, English, Irish, Colonial America, etc. On radio, it's either classical or oldies. When I remember in the house, I like show tunes, older country, polkas. Lively stuff and I like to hear the words if there are any. Some rock classics as well, don't really keep up on current music until it's around long enough to be classic, I'd say.

Last edited by anagram; 05-29-2003 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:55 AM   #10  
caffeine free!

Does anyone have that feeling when they are at work that they want to eat all the time? I have thus far avoided temptation, but I sit at the computer all of the time (law clerck, soon to be lawyer if I pass the bar) which seems to suit itself well to eating. I get to take off for a month and study for the bar exam starting in early July which will mean that I will be busy, but much more self directed. Plus I am going to the Winnipeg Folk Festival (yes, I plan to study hard, grin).

So far doing really well. I started watching what I eat last Saturday and have kept to below 1500 calories and below 35 grams of fat every day. I am also having fun making charts on excel of everything I can think of (weight, calories, BMI, exercise, calories burned, you name it). It is a way of feling like everything is very concrete, even if it is not something that leads to visible results (which is not the point anyway although a nice side effect).

At any rate, I suppose I should actually get some work done at work (just kidding, I have been working frantically for several hours becuase we have a brief due on Monday).
Old 05-29-2003, 01:26 PM   #11  
Is it Friday yet?

Friday eve!

Ooooh, loving the new thread! Very clean, happy, inspiring and it *feels* like a fresh start doesn't it?

Had a huge post for yesterday but never got to it - it would've contained too many words that 3FC won't allow on posts. In a nutshell we found out my Mom's 1st surgeon both witheld information and lied to us about her diagnosis so things aren't quite as rosy as we were led to think. Thank the powers that be for that 2nd opinion Dr. Mom figuratively ran screaming from Dr. #1 - things will still be ok, but it would've been nice to have been prepaired for what we're looking at now... What a $(&^!#@ jerk!

Semi related, said bad news did NOT set me off on a pizza-fest. Oh, I wanted to, bad, but didn't. Yeah me!

Anagram - Congratulations on your 1 year weightaversary! (I can make up words right?)

Wildfire - Good luck in your evaluations! Viva la revolution!!!!!

Ceara - A new puppy??? Awwwww.... I want one! I've tried accupuncture for weight loss, but all it did was make my kidneys hurt (no joke) so I quit. Glad your shoulder's better too!

Kaylets - I agree. I've been in groups before that were ok, but if you were new you felt like an outsider - I hope we're not like that since we've been together so long now! I really think we should all meet someday...

Frogger - The cake is beautiful! Sounds like you had a great time on the honeymoon even if the weather didn't quite cooperate. I could mention my theory for your weight loss but I'm just not gonna' go there!

ZadieK - Welcome!!!! I used to think if I was only 6'9 I'd not be overweight at all! Although I'm am very thankful to be 5'6 1/4 (don't forget that 1/4!). And also, yes, eating at work is a problem because my office is in my Mom's house! We own a California company and run it from my Mom's living room - so the kitchen's like 15 feet away! It's better since I moved out, but still - it's Mom's house and there's always food!

Q o' the Day - Music, daily if not moreso Everything from Godsmack to Norah Jones. Etta James to America. I love music, not specific types of music.

Time to get some work done I guess....

Terri
Punkin o' tomorrow's FRIDAY!!!!!
Old 05-29-2003, 02:49 PM   #12  

Oh, Punkin - thank God Mom went for a second opinion. But sorry you have to face more than expected. (Hope Mom doesn't mind my shorthand in referring to her as Mom since I'm probably older than she.) And congrats on the NSV of a non-pizza fest. And now I know what a killer Scrabble player you are with that "w" word.

Yes, I love the new and fresh thread too. Maybe that's a good reason not to let "expired" ones go too long. I too hope I am able to welcome new sparklers as I was welcomed here.

Great on food so far today. Even though it meant I had to talk dh out of eating out today so I could get some healthy, low salt food into us. He must wonder what happened to his old wife who ate out at every opportunity. (NSV?)
Old 05-29-2003, 07:57 PM   #13  
wsw

Welcome Zadie! I wish you all the best on your weight loss journey.

Anagram-congrats on your weight loss in this past year!

Frogger-your wedding picture is lovely. Glad you enjoyed your honeymoon.

I am taking NO GUILT and FRESH START cards. I realized today is my 1 year anniversary here. I have lost 10 lbs. in the past year. While I would have loved to have lost more, I am glad to have gotten rid of that weight and plan to keep going with renewed interest and effort. I stuck to what I had planned to eat for today, wrote it all down, and exercised.

Punkin- relieved your mom got second opinion so you all know exactly what the situation is. it must have have been rough though to hear news so different from what she was originally told. I'm sending out good thoughts your way.

i love music-all kinds, and listen to it often. it soothes me. i like classical, jazz, blues, rock, etc, and it just depends on my mood as to what type i want to listen to at any given time.

my friend who was married last weekend called me again yesterday, thanking me for making the effort to attend his wedding. i am so glad i went also. it really seemed to have meant a lot to him. i am still trying to catch up on rest since i got home, but it was all so worth it, not to mention fun.

hi to all! thinking of you. hope everyone has a good evening. take care, wsw.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:43 PM   #14  
deleted2

Punkin, I'm so sorry that you and Mom are preparing for a bigger battle than you thought. Words fail, just know that you're in my thoughts. Stay strong!!! And I'm so proud of you for not giving in to the seductive call of pizza--geez, I would've been all over it.

I have to confess that I'm in a post-40 funk. I don't know, guys, the day came and went without much happening. I guess I expected the heavens to open up and the secrets of the universe to be bestowed on me [being a baby crone and all!]---but ehhh, nothing! CRUD! No wonder I OD'd on cake!

Old 05-29-2003, 08:49 PM   #15  

Sorry about the post 40 funk but get it over with and then get on. Mine didn't hit me at 40 but at 41 = wow. I think that's when I realized I'd always be OVER 40. Baby crone - I like that, such a cute image. You're probably more a Roman candle than a crone now that you're an Independence Firecracker.

Such a thoughtful friend, wsw to call you to thank you for coming. Sounds like it was worth the discomfort.

Did some stretches, some yardwork, a walk (not to mention housework because I try to block that part out). Decent on food and I think on water. I sort of lost track. Get with it, girlie.
Closed Thread