Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 11:12 AM   #1  
Empress/Queen

Talking 21-Day Challenge #3

Ok, dokey, acting on an overwhelming mandate of the 21-day challengers (three votes), I'm taking the liberty of starting a new thread.

Everyone knows the drill by now, methinks!!! The 21-day challenge appears on weight loss forums all around the internet, but the concept was brought to this forum by our esteemed Wood Nymph of the Laborious Losers. It's based on the idea that it takes 21 days to form a new habit (or, I guess, get rid of an old one)! So we individually choose a behavior(s) or whatever (related in any way to our weight loss or weight maintenance journeys) and challenge ourselves to do that behavior(s) for 21 consecutive days and we post our results, preferably daily, here with our amazing fellow 21-day travelers. When we reach 21 consecutive days, we can say we have completed a BLOCK (I like to think of each week as a street I'm walking on around that block, which of course makes it a triangle, but who cares about geometry!

When you complete a block, you get the wonderful privilege of, well, completing a block ... er, but see, then you get to start all over again on BLOCK 2!!!!!

The other thing about this challenge is that if you crash and burn and break your challenge anytime in the 21 days, you have to start counting all over again at Day 1. Therein lies the challenge!

That's about it!
Old 08-17-2003, 11:20 AM   #2  
Empress/Queen

Talking My September Saturday 21-Day Challenge

Ok, dokey, my date with Demon Scale produced a maintain from last week so I feel pretty much in the game, especially since I was high midweek. As reported on the last thread, I crashed landed on Day 5 and am restarting with a new challenge, which I INTEND will move me to my Labor Day weight goal. I'm a slow loser, guys, so that still seems very far away. [i]Editing to save space, so we can keep this thread easier to read and more compact, I'm gonna be briefer, you'll see!! Anyhow, looking at my calendar I see my 21st day will be September 6 and by the 7th, a Sunday, I'll be on Block 3!!! And thinner!!! YES! YOWZA!!! POW! BANG! ZAM!

My September Saturday 21-Day Challenge is thus, for 21 consecutive days I will:

1) Eat NO MORE than 1700 calories per day!

2) Exercise at least once a day (any exercise, mind-body, weights, walking fast or slow, and/or anything else, for any length of time, at any intensity, but no more skipped days and am adding Sundays, but keeping it light and varied to avoid overtraining).

:strength: :strength:

Last edited by Amarantha2; 08-17-2003 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:19 PM   #3  
deleted2

If all goes well, I will have completed my first 'block' after Monday. I'm really excited about it--can't give up now!

I've already gotten in most of my exercise today. I did 1/2 hour kickboxing video and a 25-min. weights routine. To stay on track I have to work out EVERY day, some days lighter than others. And I'm counting calories and fiber and fat grams as much as possible and my goal is to keep my calories at or below 1500 a day.

My current weight is 149 lbs. My goal is 135 pounds!

Old 08-17-2003, 01:17 PM   #4  
caffeine free!

Hello,
Now on day 6. All is going pretty well. It is nifty to hear that some people are so close to the end of this block.

At any rate, gotta fly.
Old 08-17-2003, 02:27 PM   #5  
Spreadin' the luv.

Exclamation Cerise's Kickoff Day!!!

Day One, Chickadees!

OK, here are my rules for this challenge:

1. Eat only when I FEEL hungry, eat only until I feel satisfied. A very vague rule, I know, but hopefully one that will decrease my portion sizes significantly and raise awareness of my body's satiation levels.

2. Every day, do situps or those lower-back strengthening thingies - I can feel when I've reached max. fatigue, so just go til I drop, I guess.

Oooh, nummy, and I get a brand new thread to post my Day 1 on! I'll report on it this evening.

Good luck today, lovelies!
Old 08-17-2003, 04:41 PM   #6  
Empress/Queen

Default Yo!

Cerise for your brand new exciting, just-out-of-the-starting-gate challenge!!! WTG!!! You're gonna make it to the finish line!!!

Zadie for being well into Day 6!! Yowza!!!

AND, to Eydie 'cause she's ALMOST AROUND THAT BLOCK!!! Yowza!!! Just a few more feet to the finish line, Eydie!!!!
Old 08-17-2003, 05:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 144/137/128

Height: 5 ft. 4.5 in.

Default I'd like to take the challenge

Thank you so much for starting this 21 day challenge. I know I'm starting kind of late but this is the kind of thing that will help me from going off track. I like the idea of doing some exercise everyday, even if it's short and not strenuous. I try to do some ab work and yoga or pilates moves before I go to bed, even if it's only a few minutes. Today I took a spinning class so my cardio is done. I want to limit my snacks to 2 (under 100 cals. each) a day..so now I just can have dinner since I already had my snacks for today. I want to eat three meals a day and limit my sweets and unhealthy fats. I want to drink at least 6 glasses of water (aiming for 8) but I also drink decaf tea twice a day. Well, I'll let you know how I do and thanks again for this thread!
Old 08-17-2003, 05:53 PM   #8  
Empress/Queen

Welcome, Musicgal!!! Glad you are here and it's never too late to start the 21-day challenge because it's just a revolving, individualized thing and everyone is on different days!!! Your plan sounds great!!! See you later!
Old 08-17-2003, 07:15 PM   #9  
Hot Stuff

Chasing day 13 out the back door!

Thank you for all the congrats from the other thread! Like I posted on the Labor Day Losers thread, I may be scarce for a while due to overtime at work, but I'm keeping on counting those days and plan to make it to 21! I'll post when I can.

Cerise, I'll be watching you! You can do this!

Eydie, you're just a nose from the finish line! I know you're going to make it!

Amarantha, a maintain is okay! Look at it this way, you were up mid-week, so maybe it's a loss after all?

Musicgal, welcome to the challenge! This wonderful group will keep you motivated, for sure!

Redballoon, Hot Splashes, Angel, zadie, and anyone I missed, keep up the great work! WE ARE WORTH IT!!!
Old 08-17-2003, 09:14 PM   #10  
Empress/Queen

Talking Day One Done!

Yay, Wildfire!! You're starting your new job on Day 14 and you will astound all your coworkers with your good health habits! Good luck on the job!

I'm reporting a bit early as I still have work to do and will then likely go to bed! So ...

My Sprint To September 6 21-Day Challenge, Day One Report:

1) 1700 calories or less?
Yes, 1660!

2) At least one exercise session per day? Yes. Walked 20 minutes on my “hall treadmill” ... back and forth through my long kitchen, hall, living room and back bedroom.

To All Challengers, mentioned or unmentioned!!!

Old 08-17-2003, 10:28 PM   #11  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Hello people, I've found the new thread! Thanks Amarantha for keeping us efficient. I'm on to Day 6. Yesterday I really had a heyday, working out heavy at the gym (and still doing the arm/ab/shoulder routine even though it was leg day), jogging. I didn't have any sugar but had a few too many beers. But heck, I was meeting a friend I haven't seen in months and won't see for another half year or so probably.

Apple Blossom, oh, those burritos, don't remind me! God, those things are calorie bombs and oh so good! Maybe It's a good thing I'm not in the States. . . . Congrats on your progress. I like your idea on the alternating challenges. I think I'm going to count for my next challenge. This time's food log is in part preparation for that.

Amarantha, oh no! a crash! Well, glad to see you're up and trying again. I think counting calories is one of the hardest challenges there is, well, I mean it would be for me. Crashes and all, I still take my hat off to you! Yes, I think plans like you mentioned are good because of the built-in controls. I for one though don't like the idea of thinking of foods as legal or illegal. I want to be able to have anything or put my own restrictions on myself. I mean, heh, that's the fun of it all, is being our own master. But again, we each have to find what works for us. I'm glad you had a maintain for the week. You really have it tough with the scale, don't you? I gain sticking power because of your persistence in spite of things. Sorry to be benefiting from your woes. Hope you don't mind! -- And congratulations on a successful Day 1.

hotsplashes, another oh no! victim of a donuts and chips attack in the dark! scary stuff! does this affect your challenge? I'm sorry, I can't keep track of everyone's. I'd say not since you haven't mentioned starting over.

Eydie, you are really going strong! I'm impressed. Kickboxing. Cool. We're the same weight. Maybe we should go into the stretch together and see who gets to the wire first!

zadie k, good going through day 5 and onto 6. Keep up the good work!

Cerise is up and flying, going to cruise on down the course to the second block with ease!

Musicgal, welcome aboard! Your challenge sounds quite involved. Good luck and keep us posted. We like to post a lot here and we're an inspired bunch!

Wildfire, YES! You're doing it, only a little ways to go. Counting down to success!
Old 08-18-2003, 01:15 AM   #12  

Angry Day 3

Day three went ok. I didn't do too well with the eating, although if I count everything up it's probably fine for maintaining...did all my exercise though. A keeper day if nothing less...
In re to the scale monster, today I weighed 150 lbs!!! Thats a 6 pound loss IN ONE DAY!!!! And just to be sure, I weighed myself after my shower and I gained 2 lbs!! Holy moly!!! SO yes, my scale is a piece of !@*#! and never believe those scale monsters, they lie!!!!
See y'all tomorrow.....

PS Just to start off the new thread:
Start 160
Current 156 maybe
Goal 145 by Sept 21, 140 later, 135 ultimate dream goal
For this challenge: Exercise 20-30 min per day, 100 sit-ups per day
Eat with-in reason 'cause I'm on a diet, right?
Old 08-18-2003, 08:02 AM   #13  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Good going on Day 3 Apple Blossom. It does sound like your scale is a bit unreliable but you never know. Weight can fluctuate a lot depending what you ate or drank, even if your hair's wet (if it's long). But maybe you should invest in a new scale!

Well, I just finished off the arm/shoulder/ab routine here at home and I'm turning in. This means I've gotten through Day 6 A-OK!! Hurrah!! Onto to the lucky 7. Forward! March!

All you other fellow 21-Dayers best of luck to you all and hope to see you here soon.

Til then! Ciao!
Old 08-18-2003, 09:27 AM   #14  
caffeine free!

Hello,
I have made it to day 7. Almost thought I would lose it there yesterday evening, but it all turned out pretty well.

Apple Blossom - I feel your scale pain. Actually now that I am used to being a few pounds more than I thought, I really like my new scale. I figure it does not have to be acurate as long as it is consistent.

Well, I suppose I should do some work now that I am at work.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:33 PM   #15  
Empress/Queen

Yo! I'm at Day 2 o' the new and running late to yoga ... also having trouble getting on the site here as it seems to be timing out ... so would love to just say a blanket to all for their successful advancement to another day o' the 21 .... we don't seem to have had any crashing yesterday!!!! Wooo-hoo!!!
Closed Thread