Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 06:03 PM   #76  
Is it Friday yet?

Yup, started having palpitations and had to start breathing into a paper bag....

Have a great weekend everyone!

Old 07-11-2003, 06:34 PM   #77  
deleted2

Metta, congrats on losing the pound!

Cerise, yep--old timer vegetarian for 19 years! Click on my journal if you'd like to see some of my 'menus'; I keep my food journal there from time to time. I should start doing that again--helps me to be accountable!

Punkinseed, How's BoBeena? We haven't heard from her here in a while.

Wildfire, I know what you mean about being overwhelmed by clutter---in someone else's house, that is. That could never happen here, heaven forfend!

Anyone have outrageous plans this weekend?

Old 07-11-2003, 09:42 PM   #78  

Ok, I think I'm recovered from the shock of my fall from the wagon. You hit the nail on the head, Eydie. It was so "old me", not new and improved. I know it was at least 13 months since I had done something that derelict. I fall all the time but usually it's something I at least like and I limit it to some degree. This was the old totally out of control binge.

But this awful week is over and I'm gaining control again. Today was good and I had three water workouts for the week. Well over goal on water today (something that was slowly creeping downward as was exercise - everything but calories). Most of the week's problems are corrected and the coffers are a good deal lighter because of them.

I did weigh yesterday and it was, as expected, awful. Today was two pounds down from yesterday and I'll weigh again tomorrow.

On the more pleasant side, at picnic last weekend, I had lots of notice of weight loss from people who don't see me often. Had first comment at pool today too. Also bought two new bathing suits today and it was the easiest that chore has been in years.

Enjoy antiques very much. My kitchen table is a round golden oak that belonged to my DGM and DGGM. I played under it as a child. Have their teapot as well. And in my living room a library table that was DGs and that I refinished. Covered with family photos. Other things as well but those three things are my faves. I enjoy things that others have used because I feel the connection to those people though I may never have known them.

Forgive the me=me post. I'm still catching up on my reading. Love it when the posts come flying in so fast I get behind.

Nothing special here this weekend except a concert (River City Brass Band) we plan to hear on Sunday. Car shopping has been taking up a lot of time. Hate it. Wish my current car could live forever.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:07 AM   #79  

Default Simply Saturuday!

Hello all!

Found this in my email this morning and was just what I needed to find! Thanks Ceara!

Tess went to her bedroom and pulled a glass jelly jar from its
hiding place
in the closet. She poured all the change out on the floor and
counted it carefully.
Three times, even. The total had to be exactly perfect. No
chance here for
mistakes. Carefully placing the coins back in the jar and
twisting on the
cap, she slipped out the back door and made her way 6 blocks to
Rexall's
Drug Store with the big red Indian Chief sign above the door.

She waited patiently for the pharmacist to give her some
attention but he
was too busy at this moment.

Tess twisted her feet to make a scuffing noise.

Nothing.

She cleared her throat with the most disgusting sound she could
muster.

No good.

Finally she took a quarter from her jar and banged it on the
glass counter.
That did it!

"And what do you want?" the pharmacist asked in an annoyed tone
of
voice.

"I'm talking to my brother from Chicago whom I haven't seen in
ages," he
said without waiting for a reply to his question.

"Well, I want to talk to you about my brother," Tess answered
back in the
same annoyed tone. "He's really, really sick.. and I want to
buy a miracle."

"I beg your pardon?" said the pharmacist.

"His name is Andrew and he has something bad growing inside his
head
and my Daddy says only a miracle can save him now. So how much
does a
miracle cost?"

"We don't sell miracles here, little girl. I'm sorry but I
can't help you," the
pharmacist said, softening a little.

"Listen, I have the money to pay for it. If it isn't enough, I
will get the rest.
Just tell me how much it costs."

The pharmacist's brother was a well dressed man.
He stooped down and asked the little girl, "What kind of a
miracle does
your brother need?"

"I don't know," Tess replied with her eyes welling up. "I just
know he's
really sick and Mommy says he needs an operation. But my Daddy
can't pay for it, so I want to use my money".

"How much do you have?" asked the man from Chicago.

"One dollar and eleven cents," Tess answered barely audibly.
"And it's all
the Money I have, but I can get some more if I need to.

"Well, what a coincidence," smiled the man. "A dollar and
eleven cents-the
exact price of a miracle for little brothers."

He took her money in one hand and with the other hand he
grasped her
mitten and said "Take me to where you live. I want to see your
brother
and meet your parents. Let's see if I have the kind of miracle
you need."

That well dressed man was Dr. Carlton Armstrong, a surgeon,
specializing
in neuro-surgery. The operation was completed without charge
and it
wasn't long until Andrew was home again and doing well.

Mom and Dad were happily talking about the chain of events that
had led
them to this place "That surgery," her Mom whispered. "was a
real
miracle. I wonder how much it would have cost?"

Tess smiled. Sheknew exactly how much a miracle cost...one
dollar and
eleven cents...... plus the faith of a little child!.

A miracle is not the suspension of natural law,but
the operation of a higher law...... (A TRUE STORY)

I know you'll keep the ball moving! Here it goes.
Throw it back tosomeone else who means something to you!

The Friendship Ball

A ball is a circle, no beginning, no end. It keeps us together
like our
Circle of Friends. But the treasure inside for you to see is
the treasure of
friendship you've granted to me. Today I pass the friendship
ball to you.
Pass it on to someone who is a friend to you.

MY OATH TO YOU...

When you are sad.....I will dry your tears.

When you are scared.....I will comfort your fears.

When you are worried.....I will give you hope.

When you are confused.....I will help you cope.

And when you are lost.....And can't see the light.

I shall be your beacon.....Shining ever so bright.

This is my oath.....I pledge till the end.

Why you may ask?.....Because you're my friend.

Thanks everyone for your support and kind words!
I did do better yesterday, not 100% but much better- and today my goal is to do better than yeseterday--
And thanks to you all, I have turned it around!

That is my miracle- the rediscovery of how much easier ANY journey is with the support of others.
As I've said before( but I really like this visual)
"The more of us at the oars the faster we can move this boat."
=====================
So today's question is:
" What miracle(s) have you experienced?"
======================

Take care all! You really are the best!!
Old 07-12-2003, 08:27 AM   #80  

The QOD is easy for me today though I've had many.

The biggest/latest is the fact that DH survived the kidney aneurysms the night of 12/2/02 and again that he was able to go off dialysis on 4/18/03. The doctors don't say "miracle" though one came close. They use words like "extraordinary" but I've watched it all and it's a miracle.

Glad you're feeling better and back on track, Kaylets. Your inspiration (and that of all of you) has meant so much to me on my journey that I need you here and "in the hug".

Must move it - busy day.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:44 AM   #81  
deleted2

As anyone who knows me can guess, my biggest miracle of my life [so far!] is being given a reprieve from a cancer diagnosis last year. In that time I learned to love my body fiercely. I swear I could write a book about it!

It's early yet, but I'm willing to bet that most of the responses to this ? will be about health issues. These tender sweet husks are our only vehicle and I'm inspired by this question to take good care of mine. Hope you all are too!

Old 07-12-2003, 09:04 AM   #82  
Empress/Queen

YO!!! I'm feelin' GREAT today!!! First ever weekend that I CAN'T work because I left ALL my notes at a newsroom 62 miles away (deliberately) where I'm subbing for the editor this month. But I feel like EATING and need to keep clamp down on calories. Posted a weekend "foodwatch" thread (not to interfere with this one, just for extra support) and will journal every bite there from Saturday to Monday!!! CLAMPING DOWN ON THE EW (EVIL WEEKEND)!!!

Cerise, I did hate exercise as a kid, which is how I got into this mess in the first place, by establishing a lifestyle of not moving and stuffing food into my face to medicate my feelings. I started to LOVE exercise as an adult, even when I was heavy. Sometimes I don't feel like it, though, but I've never found it torture. I slack off a lot, though!

Metta: I love your avatar! Beautiful!

Wildfire: I love the weights as well, though, without the trainer, I tend to go lighter than I'm really capable of. My current favorite thing is the whatever-you-call-it chin up, dip pulley thing!!! It serves as traction for my crooked spine and my posture has really improved ... was afraid of it at first, but trainer kept insisting I do it and I now use it almost everyday. I put really heavy weight on it to make it very easy (the heavier the weight, the easier the exercise on this machine) and just concentrate on the full range of motion. I'm going to learn some boxing next week ... that'll be great.

Punkin: So glad to hear your mom's doing well and you're off on a getaway in a few weeks!!! Have a fantastic weekend sleeping in!!!

To all mentioned and unmentioned: BE CAREFUL OUT THERE AS EW (EVIL WEEKEND) IS ON THE PROWL HAVING EVIL INTENTIONS OF UNDERMINING THE GOOD WORK OF THE FABULOUS LABOR DAY LOSERS!!!!

Sorry, was I shouting? Anyhow, we need to treat the EW kindly and gently BUT KEEP AN EYE ON HIM!!!

Over and out!

Avanti, too!
Old 07-12-2003, 03:26 PM   #83  
Spreadin' the luv.

Hey, Weekend Ladies of Leisure.

Wildfire and Amarantha, thanks for the encouragement about my aversion to exercise. I'm glad to hear your "before and after" stories, and your posts about the exercise you're doing really inspire me.

I weighed in last night and found myself up 1/2 pound from 220.5. It's OK, though, for many reasons. 1. I hadn't weighed in for weeks, so at least I got my butt on the scale to see what's what. 2. I'm getting a clearer picture about what I'm trying to do - this isn't some "effort" I've launched that I'll just give up on due to lack of success. I'm going to keep plodding on, no quitting! It's so easy to say "This weight loss thing is over for now. I blew it." and just go back to my old ways. I'm not doing that, no matter how much ground I've lost. 3. I've discovered that it's so much easier to set goals one day at a time. My goals for yesterday were to weigh in and walk for 35 minutes and I did! THAT is success. I'm doing OK with this after all.

Whew. That was long and totally for my own benefit. Thanks for humoring me, darlings.

Frroooggger. I WAAAALLKED. Thanks for sticking with me.

Goals for today: eat only when hungry. Eat only until I'm satisfied. Get at least 4 servings of fruits/veggies in before bedtime.

Thank you for listening, my dears. I can't tell you how much it means to me.

Sayonara,
C
Old 07-12-2003, 05:59 PM   #84  
Empress/Queen

Wahoo! I'm enjoying my weekend foodwatch! Maybe that is my miracle ... that I'm not having a binge on my first weekend off and considering.

I actually didn't see the qod until just now. Will think about an answer ... can't really think of any personal miracles that have entered my life but I'm sure there must have been some.

Good job on getting your walk in, Cerise!!!
Old 07-13-2003, 07:07 AM   #85  

Hello all!

DH and I left the house early yesterday morning and were busy all day. Even went out last night to a dinner theatre so I was amazed to see how much everyone enjoyed the "Miracle" post.
Its always wonderful to know others enjoyed something you think is wonderful too. What a great way to start the morning!

Thought of the day :

"Success is never a destination-- it's a journey."
--Satenig St. Marie
======================
Question of the day :

"Should people be required to know how to change a tire in order to get a driver's license?"
--Table Topics
======================

This morning's thought I found in a book of Meditations for Managing Stress by Weight Watchers. The meditation that goes with the quote really hit home to me and I thought was worth sharing. I hope you enjoy this one too!
"....You hit plateau's , your motivation comes and goes, unexpected situations get in your way. But you can always be successful.
Success can be defined in many ways. If you're on weight loss program, for example, ther are more ways to show success than how many pounds you have lost. Your are successful if you have learned how to handle frustrations and challenges better than before. Success today might simply mean showing up for a group support meeting; next week, success might mean dropping another two pounds. Changes in your behavior mean also means changes in your attitudes in your feelings. To keep yourself motivated, you need to reinforce these changes in a positive way.

Reevaluate your own success. An early success might be the day you asked for help or the day you decided to start excercising.....Write down each and every accomplishment, dropping down one ... size, jogging one mile, receiving a compliment from a coworker. It's good to be proud of your accomplishments. Recognizing your success is one way to stay enthusiastic and stay aware of your new positive behavior.

*****The more success you recognize in yourself, the more motivated you're going to be.***********"

From "Managing Stress" Weight Watchers.

I am so impressed with the idea of writing down the winning details of our journey-- AND why shouldn't we be proud of what it takes ?? If I can say, its not even 7am but I have done 5 good things for myself today already--
--- Read and found a wonderful thought--
--- Read a GREAT support thread--
-- Shared my morning thought--
---Got very motivated and uplifted---
-- Drank a bottle of water--
-- Ate an apple--

Its taking my affirmation of " I am healthier than I've been in years" to a whole new wonderful level!!
Old 07-13-2003, 11:24 AM   #86  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Angry What day is this? 7, I think...

Yes, I started on Monday, so this must be Day 7. A third of the way around Block 1 I feel SO much better. I really think it's getting rid of the wheat flour in my diet more than anything else. I actually have ENERGY, which I have found to be very useful Friday night, after the usual movie and treat-type dinner (nachos in this case) and a couple of drinks, I found I was still clear-headed and energetic. I started cleaning my stove, organizing my pots and pans cupboards. Several hours later (this might give you some indication of how dirty my stove was ) I was finally ready to go to bed. And this was after having gotten up at 5:30 in the morning, run for the first time in ages, too. Ok, I know that I can't continue on that way, but it's so great to actually feel like doing things instead of having to push myself!

This morning we went for a 6-mile walk. This aft I'm going to strip the wax off the kitchen and bathroom floors (the former owners of the house apparently made a practice of waxing dirt into the floor - ICK!) and putting down fresh wax after I get down to clean floor.

I love a clean house, and I feel like this place hasn't really been clean since we bought it. How great that I have the energy to do it now. We're having a big party next weekend for my 48th birthday Mixed emotions here - yay for the party, not so keen on the 48 thing...

DH agreed to do a public poetry reading on the actual night of my birthday, and then was so contrite when he realized what he'd done that he asked me what I wanted to do to celebrate. A party, I said. How big, he asked. BIG, I answered. FUN! Since he's a man, I do have to clean and do some cooking and arranging myself, but what the hey... I get to have a big party. YAY!

Gotta go visit with DH. He beckons... I'm going to post this so I don't somehow lose it, and come back and address the best and most beautiful of losers....
Old 07-13-2003, 11:54 AM   #87  
Empress/Queen

Smile Yo!

Yo!!! Yo!!! Yo!!! AND Yo! Thanks to the EFWC (Emergency Foodwatch Coalition), I did not eat myself into oblivion yesterday and Angel Scale rewarded me FINALLY with a down!!! Happiness abounds!

Arabella: I am in housecleaning mode also ... keep telling myself it DOES burn calories, it does, it does, it does!!! Congrats on your Day 7!!!

Kaylets: Every meditation that you post is always so appreciated!!! Thanks for all you do!!

QOD: I don't think I'd ever have gotten a driver's license if one had to change a tire, so guess my answer is no, but I think it'd be a good idea to require it as part of driver's ed in the schools.

This is a horrible and old-fashioned, non-goddess-like, nonempowering attitude, but in all honesty, my idea of changing a tire is to wait by the side of the road until someone comes along who can do this ... or if in town, to call the auto club and read a book until they turn up.

TO ALL, MENTIONED AND UNMENTIONED, AVANTI!!!
Old 07-13-2003, 11:04 PM   #88  

Good day here today - all around. Watered, walked, wound up with acceptable calories. They should all be so good!
Old 07-14-2003, 05:41 AM   #89  
Hot Stuff

Good morning, chicks! Tried to post last night, but had problems with the site. Probably the result of the changes that are now here.

I got my bike yesterday! Boy, is she a beaut! Sparkly red and silver beach cruiser....shiny fenders, white wall tires, the whole deal...even bought a basket and a headlight/tail light. It wouldn't fit in the car to get it home, so I rode it from Canadian Tire! DH drove the car, and every few blocks I'd find him waiting for me on a side street. I think he thought I wouldn't make it! He told me last night I looked hilarious...big silly grin and my hair all blown back. I haven't been on a bike (other than stationary at the gym) in about 13 years. They're right...you never forget how! DD is suitably horrified that not only am I driving around a bike that looks like it's straight out of the 50's, but I have a BASKET on the front! I went out twice after my initial ride home. I love it...I feel like I'm 10 again! Now I just need one of those big bugle horns....

Yes, it is only 5:36am as I type this and I've already finished my upper body workout. Yes, I am insane.

Off to pack lunch, then hit the shower. Have a great day, all!
Old 07-14-2003, 06:31 AM   #90  

But such fun insanity, Wildfire! Sounds like you're really enjoying your birthday gift. And it's DD's JOB to be horrified, after all. And yours to keep astounding her with what a decrepit old Mom you aren't.

congratulations, Empress, both on your loss and on your successful weekend challenge. Huzzah and downward!

And congrats to you, Wood Nymph on your energy and generally improved health. BD party sounds like lots of fun (albeit your required input). And 48 - you're a babe.

Catchup day here today - car in for inspection and lots of paperwork piling up. More car searching and lots of other odds/ends. Unfortunately also got email last night that 87 year old Mom is not doing well. RN sister is taking her to doctor today and am looking for report later. She's been amazing to go this long but sounds like her multiple health problems are overwhelming her.

Glad you're planning a getaway, Punkin. Need those sometimes esp after all the stress. Dollar, nice to see you checked in.

Cerise and Frogger, nice to see that little support thing going on the walking. wsw, hope you're feeling ok. Eydie, I'd say that was some miracle and some wake up moment to how much you can appreciate your bodily temple.

Metta, Bo Beena, Ceara and all unmentioned and all lurkers, HI on this Fresh Start Monday.
Closed Thread