Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: Appoximately, how much fiber do you get on a daily basis?
I know I get some, but how much is a mystery to me! 11 45.83%
Less than 10 grams of fiber. 0 0%
10-20 grams 2 8.33%
20-25 grams 4 16.67%
The recommended 25-35 grams 4 16.67%
35+grams! No dookie problems here! 2 8.33%
FIBER? Isn't that the stuff in your dryer's lint trap? 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 10:26 PM   #151  
sef

HiedieHo All!

I have been so bummed! I was to the point I couldn't dress without terrible pain. Just pulling up my pants became an adventure. The bathroom was interesting! So I just had to make a decision. I am taking half of the pain meds I was before. It doesn't take away the pain entirely of course, but it makes it so I can function. As a result I am feeling more like myself. I am still taking the stomach med, and when I take pain med I take it with some Tums. We'll have to see how my stomach reacts to all this. Please send a few good thoughts my way!

Hopefully I will be able to sit here and read all your delightful posts and put in my two cents worth too! I am too far behid to catch up so will have to start like a newbie.

I was able to go to a tea today at church. We sponsor a ministry in Ghana and the pastor is here for a few days. The church is having several get togethers for him. Tomorrow night is a pot luck supper. Sunday he is talking to the Sunday school and he will also be at the regular service. He is really very interesting.

Hope you are well, good thoughts for those who need them, praise for the losers, encouragement to the non-losers. I have really been very good and sticking OP.

Take care all, Shirley
Old 03-07-2003, 10:41 PM   #152  

WENDY----You know we are all huddled around you during this sad, sad time. I am so sorry for you that you had to say good-bye to wonderful Miles. I cannot even begin to imagine what you are going through now. When this day comes for me, I will need tranquilizers to get through it. What happened? Had Miles been sick? I hope he didn't have to suffer long. All those who spoke to you before me said it best. You gave Miles a wonderful peaceful home for three years of his life. He knew that you were his savior and he loved you so much for your kindness and your gentleness to him. Dogs who get saved are loyal and loving to the end. But I know you already know that. How are the other two babes taking his absence?

HUGSSSSSS
Kim
Old 03-07-2003, 10:54 PM   #153  

Checking in before I go to bed. I got in about 96 oz of water. I was just too pooped to get on the treadmill today. I tried to run errands and clean some, since my MIL is coming tomorrow. I have so much to do before she gets here, it isn't funny. Ya'all pray for me...

Tom and I went out tonight for dinner. We went to a Mexican restaurant that we had a coupon for. We asked the waitress not to leave the basket of chips. She thought we were nuts! I got a grilled shrimp salad, which was a layer of shredded lettuce, a layer of thin sliced tomato, a layer of thin sliced onions (they were HOT!) and then the shrimp in a worchestershire like sauce, but only a little of it. Oh, and slices of avocado on the sides of the arrangement. It was very yummy, and I think totally OP. I also got a side order of refried beans. And I drank water with lemon. I was so proud of sending the chips back! I know if they had been on the table, we would have eaten them!

SEF: Good to see you. I am sorry you are still having problems with pain. I hope you are better soon.

Good night all!
Old 03-07-2003, 11:16 PM   #154  

Hi everyone!

Serene: I am so sorry to hear of you loss. It is a very difficult thing to have to go through. You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers.

Well, you all were right. The third day is hard. I did really well until about 7pm and then I broke down and had an egg sandwich. I did use WW bread and only used 1 tsp of olive oil to cook my egg in. You would have thought I was having Lobster :-)

Hope everyone has a great weekend. It's supposed to be warmer up here (high 40s to low 50s). I may just have to wash the car.

Sheanne
Old 03-08-2003, 10:57 AM   #155  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

GOOD SATURDAY MORNING!!!!

It's a BEAUTIUS DAY over here on the W COAST OF FLA...The heat isn't too bad yet, but I know it's on the way!

It's spa day for the PAGE girls...we're off in a little while to get our hair cut and then on to a pedicure...

EATING HAS SUCKED FOR THE LAST FEW WEEKS....but I'm bound and determined to ride the wagon for a loss before going to Cathy's in April..Although I'm not Catholic, I'm using the LENTEN season to BAN THE BREAD!!!

WENDY...I had a little talk with SKEETER when we went to bed last night and told him about MILES...bless his little heart, when I told him to say his puppy prayers for MILES to go to PUPPY HEAVEN, he dropped his little head! We're all here for you to lean on...

Had fish for lunch yesterday, and when I woke up this morning, my body was bulging with water retention! I almost didn't get my rings off! I'll have to put a straw in the water spigot today!

SHEANN....WELCOME HOME GIRL!!! We've missed you..you can ride the wagon with me if you want to....I got some pictures from MISSY yesterday with her on the float
in the MARDI GRAS parade....With all her partying, she will be right there in the center seat!!!!

NOW...you ALL know that I'm not a basketball fan, but today is a BIG GAME....
JACKIE I'm sure is already preparing for her stint in front of the tube...I know Kate is hoping that we get back in time for the tip off....GO CATS!!!! beat FLA!!!!!

I'm off for now...got to shave those legs....

BOB
Old 03-08-2003, 11:52 AM   #156  

This is a day late for FF, but I wanted to share it...

An old man lived alone in Idaho. He wanted to spade his potato garden, but it was very hard work. His only son, Bubba, who used to help him, was in prison.
The old man wrote a letter to his son and described his predicament.

Dear Bubba,

I am feeling pretty bad because it looks like I won't be able to plant my potato garden this year. I'm just getting too old to be digging up a garden plot. If you were here, all my troubles would be over. I know you would dig the plot for me.

Love Dad

A few days later he received a letter from his son.

Dear Dad,

For heaven's sake, dad, don't dig up that garden, that's where I buried the BODIES.

Love Bubba

At 4A.M. the next morning, F.B.I. agents and local police showed up and dug up the entire area without finding any bodies. They apologized to the old man and left.

That same day the old man received another letter from his son.

Dear Dad,

Go ahead and plant the potatoes now. That's the best I could do under the circumstances.

Love Bubba.
Old 03-08-2003, 12:41 PM   #157  

Serene - So sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts are with you.

Marie.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:47 PM   #158  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Hey All

Hope you are enjoying the weekend. I went to some garage sales this morning, hardly a thing out there today. Only found my neighbor next door having one and bought some videos from her. Unfortunately, she's having to sell the house and move, she lost her job and can't afford it anymore. Too bad too, she's a great neighbor!

ELI came home with a new used car last night. His was just on it's last breath. In fact they told him to take everything out of the car that he wanted, down to the mats cause they were going to trash the car. I loved that car (1994 Black Cadillac Deville), it was in great body shape, just that with the age things kept going wrong with it and he wasn't going to continue to put more money in to it. He got a 2000 Caddy Seville, dk green that almost looks black. Not as plush and cushy as the other one but will have to do. What he wanted most was the extended warranty til 100K miles and they gave that to him, so he's happy. I'll get to drive it soon and give my assessment. It's a car, I guess

ELI seems to be coming down with something as well. Spread the wealth, actually, it should be sickness! I didn't sleep well last night and may go lie down in a bit. It seems to get worse at night. TOM is suppose to come today but hasn't so that's waiting in the wings as well. Just throw it all on me at once!

LDBLOND, what cereal are you eating? What kind of portion? Remember, the fiber is deducted from the carbs. If you eat Fiber One, 1oz is 24 grams of carbs but 14 grams of fiber so it's really only 10 grams of carbs.

TRANQUIL, give me call later. Hope your bosses DM made you something delicious AND legal to eat! Luckily, there's lots of ME foods that are SB LEGAL!!!!

SEF, I'm so sorry to hear you're having a tough time lately. Wish I could help! Enjoy all the goings on at the church with the visiting pastor this weekend

MONET, has the clean freak arrived? Are you okay so far? Glad she's not coming to my house, she'd faint from fright! Cute joke!

SHEANNE, so what's so bad about an egg sandwich, it's totally legal, well, as long as it's on the right bread and doesn't have non-legal stuff in it. If that's the worst that you've done, you're doing fine!

BOB, getting all gussied up I see!!!

Okay, I'm outta here, going to hit the bed for a bit. Will check in later.

Have a great day!

{{{HUGS}}}

Debbie
Old 03-08-2003, 03:52 PM   #159  

Dear Friends,

Thank you so much for your kind words and condolences. Your caring and support are a great comfort to me. I know there are many people in the world that would not understand how the loss of a pet can make one feel so distraught. I read that Psycholologists have long recognized that the gried suffered by pet owners after their pet dies, is the same as that experienced after the death of a person. I don't know if I would have believed that before now. The connection I feel with my friends on this board is helping me to cope with my grief. I promise to respond in more detail soon. My loss has been so sudden and unexpected that it has left me in quite a state of emotional upheaval.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers,
Love and Hugs,
Wendy

Last edited by Serene; 03-08-2003 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-08-2003, 06:39 PM   #160  

Good Saturday afternoon!

Sef: You will be able to take part in life, if you are willing to take the meds when you need them. Is there another type of med they could give you? The pain med they gave me was Ultracet. Just a thought

Deb: The cereal I was referring to was Kashi's Go Lean Crunch. I have to use up the max pack I bought and was have a dish every morning, in addition to my other carbs during the day. Because 1 serving (a cup) already exceeds the 3mg sugar rule by 5mg and is 24 in carbs, I need to eat it in smaller portions, but budget doesn't allow for me just to junk it in the trash.

I'm upping the water intake during day and hoping it will show on the scales by Wed. I'm up right now 2lbs from last week, so I'm really trying to get back down.

See you Sunday.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:24 PM   #161  

Hi everyone! Had country fried steak for dinner tonight. I made it with ww flour, and Tom and I had homemade ww bread with our gravy...the rest of them had mashed potatoes! One of my daughters friends ate with us, and she showed up with a lemon meringue pie. I passed on the pie. Tom ate a sliver though! Since he doesn't have any thing to lose, I guess that is ok!

I took my MIL shopping for flowers. She wants me to make her an arrangement to use on my FIL's grave. I was tickled to find the silk flowers on sale for 40% off! She actually wanted one, but I was able to afford enough for three. She is thrilled. Now I just have to put them together!

Ok...off to show my MIL some digipix....
Old 03-08-2003, 11:15 PM   #162  
Goddess

Red face Saturday night

Hey!

I am one tired puppy tonight. I've been at the church all day getting ready for our luncehon. Tomorrow I've got to be there at 8:00 am to begin cooking the spaghetti sauce. The good news is that the pasta is cooked and will only require a brief couple of minutes in boiling water before serving tomorrow. We went to Sam's to buy all the ingredients--we got enough stuff to make a shaghetti dinner (pasta, meat sauce, salad, bread, etc) for about $250.00 We will feed about 200 people, so we will be able to do it for a little over $1.00 per person--that's not bad! We didn't skimp on anything either. If anyone ever needs a church (or school,or whaterver) fundraiser, let me know and I'll send the recipes and shopping list for cooking for that many people!

Crystle--I try to make myself eat some protein in the morning--even if it is nothing more than a spoonful of PB! Protein seems to held me better than anything. I will also eat some SF yogurt, or even a hard boiled egg (If I'm on the run). But I know what you mean about not being hungry in the morning!

Jackie--I'm not doing a cake after all. Long story, but I ended up not having the time this morning I thought I would to bake--so I'm just going with some cinnamon raisen bread that I can do in the machine (i've got one loaf baking now). I hope your fish fry went well last night--good for you for staying OP!

Deb--Actually there has been a minature you on my shoulder for several years now! I think it is wise not to be a slave to the scale--as long as we are eating op and exericising--it really doesn't matter what the metal monster says. The "new" car sounds sweet. I may be shopping soon--my water pump went yesterday so I got to spend $400 smackeroos on a new one plus assorted hoses. YIKES!

Wendy--I'm so sorry you've had to say goodbye to your sweet Miles. Pets are such great companians that you really are saying goodbye to a member of your family. You are in my thoughts tonight.

Shirley--Glad to hear that you are coming out of the medication "fog." It takes a while to recover--as you well know. It's good to hear from you and to hear that you are able to get out a little. I remember trying to use the bathroom after my knee surgery--OOOWWWWW! Who knew being able to bend your knees was such an integral part of peeing! HA!

Sheanne--you did nothing wrong by having an egg sandwich on WW bread. You are still OP so don't beat yourself up!

BOB--Good for you, giving up bread for Lent!

Eating has been good for the last 4 days. In fact, Deb would probably fuss at me for not eating enought today. I had 1 slice of bread w/pb on the way out the door this morning and then nothing until I got home from church at 4:00. I ate a bananna (almost green) and some cheese and then had a small steak, baked sweet tater and salad for supper.

I've also got another recommendation for a challenge--a pedometer. I'm going to start the Prevention challenge to up the numer of steps I walk each day by 7,500. I'm ordering a pedometer (one that just counts steps) from the walkerswherehouse.com--or just go to prevention.com. I think it is about 25 bucks. The ones I priced at Walmart were much cheaper but only measured miles and I need to count steps.

It's about time for one loaf of bread to come out of the oven and as soon as the pan cools I'll start another one.

Time for bed--tomorrow will be a looooooong day!

Susan
300/270.5/150
Old 03-09-2003, 12:02 AM   #163  

SATURDAY NIGHT----

Hi all, didn't get much time to do more than read the board yesteday. And was gone all day today. So I will make this quick.

Fillise--Yikes....11g fat on the Atkin's bar. I better start looking for the Carbolite ones. These have been in my freezer for quite a while since I only use them if I am going to be on the run, and don't think I will be able to stop for lunch. I don't use them for snacking.

Serene-- I am so very sorry for your loss. Yes, I believe that it can be as devastating as the loss of another person. I have already informed my Vet that he had better find a way for my 3 babies to live longer than me!! Again, my heart is with you.

Monet--I envy any of you Artsy, Crafty people. I can't do anything that turns out the way I want it to. I see what I want to do in my mind, but it never turns out that way when I am done. Hope the visit is going okay.

Deb--WOW... a new car! I will have to start looking soon too. But I want to wait until DH truck is paid off first. I still love my Honda Accord. I will probably buy another one. They go and go and go....

Another question.....Is there a difference between Maltodextrose, and Maltodextrin? My LF Cottage Cheese has the Maltodextrin as an ingedient, and I don't know what it is???

Last edited by Teensybean; 03-09-2003 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:00 AM   #164  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good Sunday Morning All

Just a quickie before we leave for the day. Have a few things to do before we go out for lunch and hopefully a movie (free pass to see How to Lose A Guy). Not walking today, not because I don't have the desire, just think with me being a bit sick it's not good to push myself, or is it? TOM arrived right on schedule last night, so that too I am contending with

MICHAEL came home from his competition in Orlando last night and scored a SUPERIOR for whatever it was that he did. He was happy!

Want to get in a few replies before I have to skiddadle...

SERENE, glad I had a chance to talk with you last night.

LDBLOND, how many grams of fiber does the cereal have? Well, knowing it has too many carbs and eating a few carbs more than you should, this is an easy thing to fix. It's not like you've blown this WOE to smithereens, just maybe a few more extra starchy carbs than you should have. We all do this, I'm guilty more than not, it's hard to keep them down all the time and honestly, it's not the worst thing in the world, as long as they are the right starchy carbs.

MONET, you should take a pic of the flower arrangement and post it. I'd love to see some of your floral handiwork!

FILLISE, sounds like you had a busy day yesterday and will have a busy and long day again today. Sorry I forgot to call-I was watching COPS and ELI came home a few minutes after 8pm and I just got caught up with him, the tv, the pizza that we got that was wrong and just forgot. Okay, maybe age played a small part Ouch, that sure must of hurt having to pay $400 unexpectedly. ELI can sympathize with you!

TEENSY, new car for him but a used car, a 2000. My parents just got a new car as well but their old car is also a HONDA ACCORD and has over 200,000 miles on it and keeps going and going. When one of my kids get their license my parents said they could have the car, which, in my kids case, will be long and far from now. They got a TOYOTA this time. Can I ask what brand of cottage cheese you are eating? I wonder why it has maltodextrin in it. Maltodextrose is a form of sugar. Beware of 'ose ending words. Maltodextrin is very high on the GI and I personally try to stay clear of it, it does a number on me when taken in too big of quantities. There are many sites on the web that can give you info about this, but here's one:

What is Maltodextrin?

Maltodextrin is a soluble (dissolvable) complex carbohydrate that acts as a buffer to keep enzymes and other molecules apart so that they do not react and denature (lose their healthful properties). It is not a simple sugar (dextrose, fructose, sucrose, table sugar, corn syrup, etc.) and does not behave like simple sugar. It can be derived from potato or cornstarch, and its starch component frees glucose across the human intestinal barrier in a time-release fashion over several hours, so no steep rise or fall of blood sugar results.

BTW, if you have "FRIENDSHIP COTTAGE CHEESE" available in your area look for the whipped. It's delicious and doesn't have any junk in it

Okay, off to the shower. Will check in later!!!

TOODLES

Debbie
Old 03-09-2003, 12:51 PM   #165  
Golfing Gal

Default need help in setting up fitday

Hello everyone. Its been a long while since I have posted and I havent done very well on this program. The problem is not the program but me, and I realize that. I plan on using Fitday to help control what goes in my mouth but I need help in setting up how many calories,fat,carb and protein intake that I need.

I weigh 185 lbs (sigh) and would like to weigh 135 by the end of July.

can someone please help me!!!
Closed Thread