Old 04-06-2006, 05:18 PM   #436  

Hi all! I have been lurking for the most part for a while now. It's hard to keep up with the conversation going on here on this thread. I did read a few pages back though and want to say...

Deets - Congratulations on the inches. Working out is worth it even if you don't see results on the scale.

Heather - Congrats to you on your loss!

Rebecca - I read that your husband is having problems with acid refux. I just wanted to say that I have the same problem. If he really doesn't want to go to the doctor, he can get Prilosec from your local pharmacy. I use the generic of Prilosec and go through my insurance to get it cuz it's a lot cheaper for me to do it that way. It really works! I haven't had any issues in a long time, even through my pregnancy when it's supposed to be really bad. Buy some, have him try it for a few days and I guarantee he will feel better. I know that feeling of being up all night because of it. It's horrible and antacids don't help at all.

To all of you on plateaus, I was there last month for about 2 weeks. I was so frustrated my husband was about to move out... I have been working out now for over 2 months and have finally gotten my metabolism to work in my favor. I have been bad for the last 2 Saturdays (my husband is a bad influence on me sometimes), but have lost over 2 pounds both weeks in spite of it. Now, of course, I don't recommend doing that, but my advice is to just keep staying on plan and working out (if you do) and it will eventually start coming off. I got a lot of support from this group when I wasn't losing anything for those 2 weeks, despite me being POP and exercising. Everyone just told me the same thing, keep it up and it will happen.

Diane
ConnorsMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:32 PM   #437  

Ljackson -- You have done more for your body by adding muscle than you will ever know. Muscle burns fat. Just to survive, that muscle is burning calories, even when you're asleep. Inches are so much more valuable than pounds -- as Deets can now tell you. It's discouraging to not see that scale move, but if you keep maintaining that muscle, eventually it will - and BIG TIME I bet. It's hard not to get frustrated though. I went through the same thing about 7 weeks ago -- totally not losing anything, but then when they measured me, I had lost like 7 more inches over my whole body. Go try on some smaller sizes -- I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised. I would trade 3 pounds of fat lost for 1 pound of muscle gained because the next week, that muscle is burning calories just sitting there, while my lost fat does nothing more for me. Don't be seduced by the devil that is the scale Hang in there!
stiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #438  

S/C/G: 199/191/179

Height: 5' 5-1/2"

Hi Everyone!

CONGRATULATIONS to all the losers (scale & NSV, and Inches Lost Too!!!)
Sorry, but I can't personalize. Had to go back and read what felt like a thousand pages ...

Rebeca - I'd like a copy of the Excel that you prepared, if you're willing to share. Let me know if you need my email. Thanks!!

I'd like to share. I've got good news and bad news. Bad news is, I was up .6 on the scale.
Good news is, I asked her to measure me because I am coming to the end of my 4th week, and I lost 6".

Gotta feed the little people. Will talk with everyone later.

Milca, where are you????
dolphn545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #439  
On stabilization

Height: 5'5

Katie, I had the exact same pita thing for lunch today! I put a little (like 1/4 tsp) balsalmic dressing on mine to add some flavor though - and made mine like a quesadilla. Ok, so I didn't have the EXACT same thing, but it started out that way.

ljackson, I know it's hard, but you are doing good things for your body - try staying off the scale for a while - my center has theirs set up so that you don't have to look at it when you WI - just tell them you don't want to know.
hkychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:33 PM   #440  
LAWL/gold since oct. 2005

Height: 5'8

Thanks for the quick replies.
Stiesta- I have been out shopping and I am wearing smaller sizes, it is great, that is all I want to do is shop. I am in the process of getting out my summer clothes and there is so much I have to get rid of or try to take in on my sewing machine.
Lori, I think you are right about staying away from the scale. I am embarrassed to admit that I seriously weigh myself like 20 times a day. When I get up, when I eat, when I go to the bathroom, with clothes on, without clothes,when I go to bed, etc,etc. And it affects my mood so much depending on what the scale says. I am just waiting for that number to change.

Lisa
ljackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:34 PM   #441  
NASCAR Chick

S/C/G: 181/177.6/???/124

Height: 5'4"

Rebeca - Yes, I suffer from the same problem as you. I am going to try the baked apple tonight though - seems like nothing else helps, so it's worth a try. If you find something that works, please share.
Bobby18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:40 PM   #442  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Suzanne- I did the apple this afternoon, and it worked!!!!

Lori- Great minds think alike, huh!!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:53 PM   #443  
On stabilization

Height: 5'5

Lisa - I did the weigh thing right after I got myself a good scale. Everytime I walked by it, I stepped on. Now I make it hard to get to, weigh myself right before I shower and then put it away. It's very hard to not be a slave to the scale.
hkychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:27 PM   #444  
Deb on LAWL

S/C/G: 256.8/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Lisa- Another good thing about working out WHILE you are losing weight is that you won't have quite so much flabby skin to tone up after you are done losing the weight. So don't fall prey to that evil scale even though we all do and it's so easy too. Like stiesta said- I'd trade fat for muscle anyday. Keep at it, it will come around.
MTdebster921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:47 PM   #445  
LAWL/gold since oct. 2005

Height: 5'8

Hey how do you get those cute little tickers at the bottom of your posts that show you weight loss and goals?
Lisa
ljackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:48 PM   #446  
Katie

Go to User CP, click on edit signature, and the instructions are there.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:49 PM   #447  
Deb on LAWL

S/C/G: 256.8/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Sherry- Great job on the 6"!!
Carmen-Thank you! Great job on the 2 lbs. Take care of those little guys so they get better fast. Was it strep?

Ange-WTG on the 1.6 lbs. You are so close to being halfway to your goal. Woohoo girl!!!

Katie- If you do come up this way, you BETTER let me know!!

I've started using the body fat reading on my scale. When I first started it wouldn't even register it. (Pretty sad huh?) But it does register it now and I am seeing it go down. So when the pounds aren't moving then I can see the difference in the body fat which is telling me I am gaining muscle.

Ok guys, now that I've preached it, I will add that I skipped out on my WI today. My excuse is that the weather is bad, it's my day off, I have to drive 10 miles into town to get to the center, I didn't have anything else to go into town for, so why waste the gas, OH, and maybe cuz the scale is not moving to my liking. I am still a little bit higher than my lowest WI last week. So, I will make myself go tomorrow before I go to work and face my demons.
MTdebster921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:39 PM   #448  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljackson
Thanks for the quick replies.
Stiesta- I have been out shopping and I am wearing smaller sizes, it is great, that is all I want to do is shop. I am in the process of getting out my summer clothes and there is so much I have to get rid of or try to take in on my sewing machine.
Lori, I think you are right about staying away from the scale. I am embarrassed to admit that I seriously weigh myself like 20 times a day. When I get up, when I eat, when I go to the bathroom, with clothes on, without clothes,when I go to bed, etc,etc. And it affects my mood so much depending on what the scale says. I am just waiting for that number to change.

Lisa
Get yourself off that scale so much...I know it's hard to do, but pick a time of day and weigh yourself then, and only then. Your weight is going to fluctuate so much during the day based on water weight, body fluid, food, etc. You are running the risk of doing some serious mental damage. I weigh first thing in the morning, no clothes, same time of day. I do it every day at that time and it gives me as close to an accurate reading as I can get. There are so many other factors at work here (i.e., your health, muscle tone, good lifelong habits) that you can't let yourself be a slave to the scale...it is not good for your mental health! Hang in there, get on this website, and don't think so much about what the number says. You're doing so well, don't sabatoge yourself!

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #449  
Katie

Lisa- "Hello, my name is Katie, and I am a scaleaholic. I've been clean now for 2 months." Seriously, I had to go cold turkey, put it away, and only get on once a week, because I was making myself crazy. I was weighing as often as you, so if you need a sponsor, I'm here for ya!
Old 04-06-2006, 08:47 PM   #450  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo girl
Lisa- "Hello, my name is Katie, and I am a scaleaholic. I've been clean now for 2 months." Seriously, I had to go cold turkey, put it away, and only get on once a week, because I was making myself crazy. I was weighing as often as you, so if you need a sponsor, I'm here for ya!
LOL, me, too. I am also in recovery!