Old 02-08-2016, 12:26 PM   #271  

S/C/G: 218.7/212.6/165

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneyf2 View Post
Honestly, I think that some people disappear after a designated cheat day or vacation due to the all-or-nothing mindset by some of the users here. I'm really not jumping on your back for saying that (though I did just post in my intro that I have a cheat planned in two months), I'm just pointing out as a former IP user and poster on this forum -now trying IP again- that I've often felt a lot of judgement from maintainers and whomever about a rare cheat day.

I'm not here to cause drama what-so-ever, and this response is obviously not based on this comment alone (as it was very minor), but I do want to say that for me, at least, the idea of having a controlled cheat day/weekend two months after starting the program is not a sign of going off the rails or abandoning the diet. Instead, it is a way of staying in control by celebrating aspects of life (my birthday, for example, or a vacation) that then allow us to charge ahead afterward. I think that random, unplanned cheat days are another story, as they CAN really interfere with your plan and focus, but I'm not really here to judge how other people handle the program. It's great when we all support each other's successes, but after having been around on these forums for a couple of years, I sometimes wish that we were more uplifting, rather than critical, when people choose to take a break. Again, I want to emphasize that I am not jumping down Hysteria's throat and do not think that she is a problem in this... I'm honestly not saying ANYONE is... but it's just some food for thought (pun intended). I find these forums much more inspiring and useful when we support each others' choices (even if we disagree), as we are all adults

TLDR; Sorry for a rant on a Friday! I really love this community, though, and all of the really informative posts by maintainers.
I agree
LOSINGFORGOOD2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:10 PM   #272  

S/C/G: 235/152/140

Height: 5'6"

Have not posted in awhile but have been lurking as I was a little discouraged. My week 2 weigh in I lost 6 lbs but my coach was concerned about my lean muscle mass reading being low. So she encouraged me to eat a little more lean protein everyday for the next week. I did and lost nothing my 3rd week. Not even inches I was bummed. So we took the extra protein off and my weigh in for week 4 was down another 3lbs. Now a total of 17 lbs. I am curious how this week will be and I am thinking of incorporating some light treadmill walking to see if that helps bump up my weight loss. My coach said light exercise is fine but anything that makes you break a sweat might require some extra protein to keep you balanced.
Pamela78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:18 PM   #273  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristie.23 View Post
Hey all,
Today was my first weigh in, and I saw a 2.7 lbs down, and 3"
My coach did the calculations and said that I lost all lean mass, and no fat. That is super discouraging. I followed protocol to a T... any suggestions? She suggested lifting light weights? Which I thought was a no no??
Your first week will be mainly retained water lost, then you start losing fat... don't fret Kristie.23! Sometimes coaches mistake non-fat loss for muscle loss, but there are a lot of other things in our bodies that are not fat. For instance, perhaps you had more bowel contents when you did your first weigh in or even had more clothes on or at a different time of the day. The machines they use are really not accurate. If you want a true body fat percentage you need a DEXA scan http://www.wsj.com/articles/too-much...can-1439828879 or a BodPod measurement http://ybefit.byu.edu/portals/88/doc...pod%20work.pdf

If your clinic lets you opt out of the Body Fat analyzer, and will charge you less, I would skip it. Your weight and measurements will give the real story. My old clinic gave us the option of tracking using that machine if we wanted to pay $5 extra per time. I did a couple of times but my scale was fairly accurate so I didn't bother most of the time and saved myself some bucks and caused myself less stress.

BTW lifting weights is allowed and encouraged as long as you are not lifting heavy to bulk up, or at speed reps with lighter weight in a circuit type of exercise plan.
Liana

Last edited by canadjineh; 02-08-2016 at 09:23 PM.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:26 PM   #274  
Started p1 Feb 1, 16

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondfloor48 View Post
How does your coach know you lost lean mass?
She has a big long calculation and a machine that you hold out in front of you... I guess it tells you your body fat percentage and if your weight goes down and your fat percentage goes up its your lean mass... I think?
Kristie.23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:30 PM   #275  
Started p1 Feb 1, 16

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondfloor48 View Post
How does your coach know you lost lean mass?
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Your first week will be mainly retained water lost, then you start losing fat... don't fret Kristie.23! Sometimes coaches mistake non-fat loss for muscle loss, but there are a lot of other things in our bodies that are not fat. For instance, perhaps you had more bowel contents when you did your first weigh in or even had more clothes on or at a different time of the day. The machines they use are really not accurate. If you want a true body fat percentage you need a DEXA scan http://www.wsj.com/articles/too-much...can-1439828879 or a BodPod measurement http://ybefit.byu.edu/portals/88/doc...pod%20work.pdf

If your clinic lets you opt out of the Body Fat analyzer, and will charge you less, I would skip it. Your weight and measurements will give the real story. My old clinic gave us the option of tracking using that machine if we wanted to pay $5 extra per time. I did a couple of times but my scale was fairly accurate so I didn't bother most of the time and saved myself some bucks and caused myself less stress.

BTW lifting weights is allowed and encouraged as long as you are not lifting heavy to bulk up, or at speed reps with lighter weight in a circuit type of exercise plan.
Liana
Ok awesome thank you so much, I appreciate it. They don't charge for the body fat analysis so whatever. She can scan me all she wants lol
How do I tag someone like you tagged me?
Kristie.23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:43 PM   #276  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristie.23 View Post
Ok awesome thank you so much, I appreciate it. They don't charge for the body fat analysis so whatever. She can scan me all she wants lol
How do I tag someone like you tagged me?
You go to the box my comment is in and in the bottom right corner there is a "quote" button. click it first then type your reply and voila!
if you want to multi quote, you can use the button with the quote marks in it and then you can quote several people in one comment.
Hope that helps.

Or did you mean when I put your name in bold? since it looks like you already can quote. Just highlight what you want to bold and hit the B or I to change the print. This is a way old program and doesn't really 'tag' like in some other forums.

Last edited by canadjineh; 02-08-2016 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:23 PM   #277  

What would you guys have to drink at a bar right now on phase 1? Just stick to water? Is it really that risky to my ketosis to have a glass of Diet Coke or some other diet beverage on rare occasions? I don't normally even go to bars and never care about drinking alcohol, but it's a pretty unavoidable situation tonight (both going to the bar AND the expectation to be having drinks). Long story...
Juniper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #278  

Also, I'm feeling like I want to EAT today. I've been at this 3 weeks tomorrow and have been feeling great, no cravings and hunger has been rare after the first few days. There is an extremely good chance it's related to stress/emotions today, but have any of you felt like this around the 3 week mark? I have every intention of just getting through it, but I'll take words of wisdom too.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #279  
Hi!

Juniper10 - I get the feeling like I want to eat periodically. It probably did hit around week 3, and was emotion/stress related. I also get that way when I'm bored. I keep pickles around. When I go out to bars, I get a seltzer (not club) or an unsweetened ice tea. I like wine and whisky, but have gone for months w/o drinking in the past anyway, so it's not a biggie. I do like hanging out w/friends at the bars periodically, and they are used to it. So are the bartenders. It probably helps that one of the bar owners down here is on a low carb diet now. Her people completely understand that I'm not drinking.

How's everyone doing? My WI on Monday was pretty good. I only had a bigger loss (6 lbs) in week 1, and then I think about 2 per week after. She only did measurements the first time, but I'd like to hear those numbers in a few weeks. I'm going in every 2 weeks at this point - every week isn't doable with their hours and mine right now. They are around 40 minutes away, and they usually run late. If they had a weekend day or something after 5pm, I'd probably go more often.
mezmerelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:29 AM   #280  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper10 View Post
What would you guys have to drink at a bar right now on phase 1? Just stick to water? Is it really that risky to my ketosis to have a glass of Diet Coke or some other diet beverage on rare occasions? I don't normally even go to bars and never care about drinking alcohol, but it's a pretty unavoidable situation tonight (both going to the bar AND the expectation to be having drinks). Long story...
You could have a Mockito: soda water/seltzer with muddled mint and lime juice and stevia sweetener. You can bring your own stevia packets or drops with you and just ask them to make your drink w/o sugar syrup. Any Mio or Nesfruta works good in soda too. I especially like Nesfruta pineapple coconut for a pina colada flavour.
Liana
Old 02-11-2016, 07:26 AM   #281  
Started IP Alts 1/3/16

S/C/G: 265/Ticker/150

Height: 5'3"

So close to 30 pounds for me! I asked on the ideal protein alternatives group on FB about how long it will take to lose 100 pounds and it seems for most people less than a year. So motivational!
Greyfaery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:25 AM   #282  

S/C/G: 248/213/150

Height: 5'2"

Grayfaery You are doing great! Keep up the good work.

I must have experienced the famous Whooosh this week. WI 4 = -5. As much as I don't try to let the scale rule how I feel, this was extremely motivational. Have a great week IPers! Fight the good fight!
Rhonduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:27 PM   #283  

S/C/G: 235/152/140

Height: 5'6"

Can you have Splenda brown sugar? I have a recipe that calls for brown sugar but I'm not sure it's OP.
Pamela78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #284  

I survived the bar, just stuck with water and it was fine. Meh, glad I'm not much of a drinker or it would have been a lot harder. Would have loved a Diet Coke at least though. I'd totally do unsweetened iced tea (love it) but it's never an option here in Canada, at least where I live. Just sweetened -- blech. Good idea on the flavourings, I'll throw one in my purse next time I'm going out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela78 View Post
Can you have Splenda brown sugar? I have a recipe that calls for brown sugar but I'm not sure it's OP.
I THINK it's 1/2 brown sugar 1/2 Splenda, or something like that, so it wouldn't be OP.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:40 PM   #285  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfaery View Post
So close to 30 pounds for me! I asked on the ideal protein alternatives group on FB about how long it will take to lose 100 pounds and it seems for most people less than a year. So motivational!
Good job! And I'm glad to hear that too, I said something to my coach the other day about how I figured I'd be on this for a year and she said it probably won't take a year to lose 100 lb. I feel like I should have started this ages ago! Except I definitely wasn't ready to commit to it or to the maintenance after, it's taken me a long time to be ready to be able to feel like I'm all in and accept that I will never go back to a lot of the crap I was eating before.