Old 04-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #166  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

Hey there Challengers! Gosh I miss you guys! I'm thinking I cant wait for the challenge to start to give me some focus, right now I am just full of excuses to make bad choices! I was noticing today at the hospital how many obese women worked there. I was shocked actually. The thin person was a rarity. You would think in that kind of environment, knowing what obesity does to a person and their health that the hospital would rally behind its employees and start some health programs.

So my husband didnt get transferred to Seattle afterall, apparently of all the hospitals in Seattle...how many are there? 4..not a single one of them had an available bed. I swear our healthcare system in this country is a disgrace!

So I hope everyone is ready to have a fantastic weekend! I'll be kidless!! Really looking forward to that, I need to catch up on things like homework and housework. Have a great Friday everyone!
Old 04-10-2008, 11:27 PM   #167  
TBL - The Red Team

S/C/G: 247.4/204.8/165

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina30 View Post
Kelly- Is that Michael from Prison Break under your signature? That man is one fine piece of meat I have to say though that show was beginning to drive me bonkers!! The only reason I watched was because of him
ME TOO!!! Think he is absolutely GORGEOUS...and I loved Prison Break the first 2 seasons and the third one, I just couldn't get into it as much, but he is a beautiful specimen!
Old 04-10-2008, 11:29 PM   #168  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Melissa - I don't know the background on your husband, but I do hope his issues can be resolved. I share your surprise about the women working in the hospitals. My one and only stay (well, since tonsils in childhood) was a couple of years ago and I was just as shocked.

Oh, and while I'm typing this. Just a tip for those logging on at work. Remember, anything you do online can usually be tracked. Not all companies do so, but nothing on a work computer is private. I only mention that because not everyone is aware of that. Don't get me wrong, I've used a company computer for personal surfing (especially when on afternoon shift and there was nobody to even chat with during dinner breaks). I've seen people fired for internet usage in the past. To be fair, most were people that the company was trying to find a reason to fire... but it was a convenient thing to track and use against them. Just be careful.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:29 PM   #169  
TBL - The Red Team

S/C/G: 247.4/204.8/165

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun.e.B View Post
Hey there Challengers! Gosh I miss you guys! I'm thinking I cant wait for the challenge to start to give me some focus, right now I am just full of excuses to make bad choices! I was noticing today at the hospital how many obese women worked there. I was shocked actually. The thin person was a rarity. You would think in that kind of environment, knowing what obesity does to a person and their health that the hospital would rally behind its employees and start some health programs.

So my husband didnt get transferred to Seattle afterall, apparently of all the hospitals in Seattle...how many are there? 4..not a single one of them had an available bed. I swear our healthcare system in this country is a disgrace!

So I hope everyone is ready to have a fantastic weekend! I'll be kidless!! Really looking forward to that, I need to catch up on things like homework and housework. Have a great Friday everyone!

Sorry to hear about your husband. I couldn't agree with you more, the health care system in our country absolutely disgusts me.....I want to move to France, or even Canada. They take care of their people! They can't even fix the DANG pot holes in the road around here, never mind take care of the health of their citizens. Don't get me started on our D*MN government, pathetic!!! Your husband is in my prayers!
Old 04-10-2008, 11:37 PM   #170  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa73 View Post
I want to move to France, or even Canada. They take care of their people!
You might still wait for a bed here, although possibly not as long. I know they do a fair amount of admitting through emergency here. You might spend the first night in the hall, but they usually find a bed. I've seen examples here that lead me to believe we do a fairly good job of needs based care. (ie. I've seen people with procedures scheduled months out, and others that get them within the day - they seem to be appropriate to the situation)

The one very good thing is that the care is paid for (okay, by my taxes, so technically in advance). The only real concern is prescription medication (although again, not when in hospital), although a good percentage of companies have drug/dental/eye care plans.

I like the country, except for the winters... especially this last winters. Although potholes, we have our share of.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:38 PM   #171  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

Anne...my husband is fighting pancreatitis, he's been in the hospital ICU for 12 days now. He's got an infection in the pancreas now. Trying to transfer him because none of the hospitals here do the type of drainage surgery he needs so he needs to be transferred. But he doesn't have health insurance (we cant afford it!) so no one wants him and they tell us all the beds are full. And round and round and round we go! Hard working tax payer for 18+ years and when he needs help cant get it....God bless America! I promise I'm not getting political on you all LOL...just very frustrated!
Old 04-11-2008, 12:21 AM   #172  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Melissa--I don't want to get started on the healthcare system either but I wanted to comment about the nurses. I have worked in a nursing home and a state psych hospital and interned and volunteered in many healthcare settings and about 80% of the nurses are overweight. I think nurses are nurturers (Kelly on TBL is a nurse) and they are the type that are always taking care of others rather than themselves. I think shift work doesn't help either. Every place I have ever worked has had employee health/wellness programs but many of them don't have ummph. Many times they are the first thing to be cut or its a small part of a bigger job. Where I work now it is huge. I work in Parks & Rec and it was a part of our unit now its in HR so I think it will get bigger.

Tina--I am doing fabulous--LOL that word is on my mind bc I just smelled Kimora Lee Simmons' Fabulousity perfume and identifed it as my next reward--! It seems you are doing terrific too. Waiting for teams to be posted is always the worst for me. It would be great if we were on the same team.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:44 AM   #173  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

That's terrible, Melissa. So sorry. Hopefully a door will open soon so he can get the help he needs.

I don't want to get going on our medical system either. It definitely needs an overhaul. I've worked in peds for years and at least when it comes to un-insured/under-insured children they can catch good breaks - like through Children's Hospital.

HI Shay - nice to see you around here again!! Now Fabulousity is on my list of things to sniff! KLS must be making up new words now? I haven't liked her other frags, but I'll try this next time I'm at the mall.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:08 AM   #174  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by likenoother View Post
Melissa--I don't want to get started on the healthcare system either but I wanted to comment about the nurses. I have worked in a nursing home and a state psych hospital and interned and volunteered in many healthcare settings and about 80% of the nurses are overweight. I think nurses are nurturers (Kelly on TBL is a nurse) and they are the type that are always taking care of others rather than themselves. I think shift work doesn't help either.
I was going to comment on this, too. I agree--most nurses are very giving of themselves and focus on the care of others rather than of themselves. Even if a health support system is available to them, nursing is very demanding and tiring work. I know I don't feel like going to the gym after a day at the office, nevermind after a day of running around taking care of others all day! Plus, I know many nurses complain that there are often free goodies available to them at work (donuts, bagels, cookies, etc.), so even if healthy options were available in the cafeteria or whatever, free convenient food is always tempting. Places like pharmaceutical companies like to offer goodies to hospital staff. I'm sure nurses are very aware of the repurcussions of obesity on the body, but they are just so busy looking out for others and giving of themselves that their own health becomes an afterthought rather than a priority. Demanding job, long shifts, frequent easy access to free junk food, caring for others...it's certainly not a formula for easy weight maintenance! I have a ton of respect for nurses, as I know I wouldn't be able to do it (the job in general regardless of weight).

Sorry...I'm done now. I've known a lot of nurses growing up and even lived with nursing majors in college who had to go through clinicals and stuff.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:15 AM   #175  
TBL Challenge Blue Team

S/C/G: 308/199/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealCdn View Post
Kelly - I don't know why, but I've never set time specific goals. I suppose that I'm afraid if I don't meet them I'll be too disappointed. The only goals I really set is to eat to plan each day, drink plenty of water, and to do the exercising I have planned. I've had two bad days since restarting in December, so I've decided lately to continue to track on plan days. (93 with last week's weigh-in)
Those are goals to me. I have exercise goals for this round and an excel chart to log everything into.

I didn't mean the only goals you have to have are weight goals. I do have those too, but they are not my only goals. I set the weight goals to push myself a little. If I make them, good, if I well exceed them or if I miss them, I examine why. Sometimes they were just not attainable. Sometimes, I didn't stay on plan, or get in my exercise, or any number of things. For me, it keeps me on track, or helps to get me back on track.

I was just wondering what people were hoping to get out of this challenge, weight loss is the obvious answer, but what things do you want to achieve. Me, I really need to lift more this challenge. I was doing it before the last one and had gotten out of the habit during the challenge, so I plan on getting in 2-3 lifts a week minimum. Need to get rid of these bat wings under my arms esp
Old 04-11-2008, 08:02 AM   #176  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun.e.B View Post
Anne...my husband is fighting pancreatitis, he's been in the hospital ICU for 12 days now. He's got an infection in the pancreas now. Trying to transfer him because none of the hospitals here do the type of drainage surgery he needs so he needs to be transferred. But he doesn't have health insurance (we cant afford it!) so no one wants him and they tell us all the beds are full. And round and round and round we go! Hard working tax payer for 18+ years and when he needs help cant get it....God bless America! I promise I'm not getting political on you all LOL...just very frustrated!
Mel, since you guys have no Health insurance, and the only worker in the home is laid up, maybe y'all can qualify for Medicaid & Food stamps to help out for a while? It's worth a try. Granted State insurance sucks but it's better than nothing at all. It's a travesty that he NEEDS this surgery and no one will do it because of no insurance. MY GOD! I think it sucks that $$ comes before human life. He's a tax payer, a hubby and a Dad! I am so pissed for you!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:23 AM   #177  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina30 View Post
Kelly- Is that Michael from Prison Break under your signature? That man is one fine piece of meat I have to say though that show was beginning to drive me bonkers!! The only reason I watched was because of him
It is! I made her a signature thats related to the books her and I read.

OMG! Don't ! I'm actually eating a healthy breakfast and lunch! *gasp*

I went to the store last night and actually bought healthy groceries, so I'm eating pretty decent today. I had told Melissa I was going to start buying 2 things of Milk and special K and taking one set to work with me so I'll stop eating So that's just what I did!

This morning I'm having:

3/4 cup of Special K Protein Plus with 3/4 cup 2% milk
1 mini bagel with lowfat cheese
1 banana

I need to get my potassium back in line cause I've been waking up with charley horses in both legs a lot lately.

I'm going to post the rest of the stuff I have packed for today on FitDay.

Not too much else planned for today... the is supposed to come out and it'll be 80 today. Shame I have to sit in this "office" all day.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:27 AM   #178  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Hi Nori--Its great to be back. KLS is a bit over the top for me but lately I've been into perfumes. I love SJP's Lovely. My BF loves it so he keeps me stocked. He actually smelled it first and that made me want it. I also have Mariah Carey's M. So next is KLS' Fabulosity. I guess I'm on the celebrity perfume kick.

Kelly--I think I have two goals for the challenge. Although we need to weigh in weekly I want to not obsess over the numbers bc my main goal is a healthy relationship with food. If I lose .2 that is great. Also I need to do more exercise.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #179  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by taragettingthin View Post
Hey! you play WoW? What server are you on? I haven't been playing lately because I don't have time and I didn't renew my membership..but my bf plays and I'm on his char time to time, too...and I am planning on renewing it soon. hehe.. =)
I have all my characters on the Turalyon server.

My main is a 70 Blood Elf Paladin named Mornaria... you should come back and play! I can't get enough of this game.

btw my armory link is: Mornaria
Old 04-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #180  
Made of Starstuff

My fiancé and I play WoW, too. As does my roommate. The roommate and fiancé play rather consistently, but I go hardcore for like 2 months at a time, and then don't play for 2 months... It is very addictive