Old 04-10-2008, 10:52 AM   #136  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkglenn View Post
Maybe I should just get the regular one to start off then move up to the weighted ones? Can you get them from a sporting store?
Actually, Melissa (Hun.E.B.) made her own. She's having a rough patch right now and I don't imagine will be online much. I'll search through the RED team posts and see if I can find her instructions for you.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #137  
Trying it again....

S/C/G: 237/237/145

Height: 5'4"

ksk-I would really appreciate it if you could find it for me. thanks
Old 04-10-2008, 10:57 AM   #138  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

What's all the hula hoop talk about? The last timeI tried to use one, it didn't even fit around my waist
Old 04-10-2008, 11:22 AM   #139  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun.e.B View Post
How I made my hoop:

I used 100psi 3/4" black poly tubing that they use for irrigation. I got it at Lowe's in a roll of 100 feet (yes I have lots of tubing left over! LOL) you can get heavier psi and you can get up to 1" tubing but they tend to get alot more expensive.

I cut about 10-11 feet of the tubing and connected the ends with a 3/4" insert connector found right by the tubing.

Use a blowdryer to warm up the tubing so the connector fits in easily.

Then I duct taped over the areas where the connector is so the whole tube is smooth. You can decorate your hula with colorful electrical tape but I didnt see a need to spend more on it.

You can kinda see my hoop in my video blog on Danielle and my MPMU site. It was taken several weeks ago but you can see my technique on how I keep going at it.
I believe that one reason she made her own was to get the right size. I believe that when it is resting on the floor it should hit you mid-ches to be the right size. (edit: maybe at your belly button?) I know Melissa posted that somewhere but I can't find it right now. I looked at the kids section at Target and most of them didn't even come up to my crotch. I think the size around is related somehow to your height.

You can also find instructions to make one at http://www.hooping.org

Last edited by ksk571; 04-10-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #140  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

Good Morning All

WOW survived some nasty storms here last night! Thunder, lightening, strong winds, tornados reported in areas all around me but none where I live, we do have some down powerlines and trees, many people without power but thankfully I have power and no serious damage at my house!

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 04-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #141  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Sorry your DH is so sick, Melissa. How tough. I haven't been following here, so not sure what happened. Anyways, I'm close to Seattle - Covington/Maple Valley area. It is supposed to be gorgeous weather this weekend - near 70 and clear on Saturday - so at least you can enjoy that part of your visit. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Last edited by Nori71; 04-10-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #142  
Trying it again....

S/C/G: 237/237/145

Height: 5'4"

thank you so much, i think i'm gonna try it.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #143  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 207.5/179/140

Height: 5'6

Popping in to say hello Today is day 11 OP for me!YAY! It's going to be stormy here all day, and I don't really mind I like a nice stormy day every now and again..as long as my power doesn't go out I'm cool. My meeting went well last night and I made it to the gym. Felt good to be back in the gym. I'm going again today for cardio and lower body. Hope your all doing well~
Old 04-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #144  

Hi Everyone....It's almost lunch time, can I get away with not doing personals? Ok, just one:

Hun.e.B....I work in downtown Seattle, I can see the hospitals on "Pill Hill" from my office window. Thankfully, I haven't had to avail myself of any of their services since I moved out here, but I am sure your DH will be attended to very well at VM.

Does anyone else who has moved from where they grew up have the same problem that I have? Whenever anyone asks where I am from, I tell them Kentucky....I live in Seattle. It's been 10 years, and I still can't call WA State "home".

Enough with the NWL4W stuff....I am a fitness/nutrition book junky...you guys are making it sound so good I want to go buy it.

This morning I was listening to the Jillian Michaels podcast of her radio show from two weeks ago (sorry about that poor sentence structure)...and she was talking to Dr. Grundy about his book "Diet Evolution". The ONE thing that jumped out at me was about skin tags and hair loss in women. LONG STORY SHORT - changing to a more healthy diet caused his and many of his patients skin tags to fall off. I reached up to my neck, and noticed mine were gone also. I didn't have a ton of them, and a month or so ago they were still there. My diet has been changing all year, but around the first of the year I made a conscience effort to eat more healthy, not just less food.

Did that make any sense at all? Bottom line, my skin tags are gone and now I want to buy his book too.

I'm going to lunch........
Old 04-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #145  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanetta View Post
LONG STORY SHORT - changing to a more healthy diet caused his and many of his patients skin tags to fall off.
Ooooo, I find that exciting. I have a ton of them and HATE them! I hope mine fall off, too!
Old 04-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #146  

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie. Well, to the TBL challenge at least!

I've never watched TBL (I don't have TV), but I think I get the gist of this challenge! I'm excited to participate, I think this is the best kind of challenge - it doesn't put emphasis on losing a particular amount of weight by a set time, just however much you can over a set period of time. For me, I hate the "lose 10lbs by May" or whatever ones because I never end up making it and they just discourage me. So this appears to be the way to go.

Curiously enough it's also scheduled perfectly to coincide with my forthcoming trip to Brazil...... For which obviously I want to lose as much as possible beforehand! So this should work out to be a great thing for me to participate in.

Anyway. Here I am. I look forward to chatting with you all!
Old 04-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #147  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Hi all,

Thanks for the hula hoop instructions.

Vanetta - I can relate to what you've said. I've been living here 3 years now and where I'm at will never be my "home" either. Just a place that the job brought me to temporarily.

I don't know if it's true but I heard a while back that sometimes skin tags are an indication of too much cholesterol in the diet. I noticed myself that they seem to appear when I'm lax with the diet plan and go away when I'm eating healthier.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #148  

Welcome Judy!

The skin tags being related tp Cholesterol levels would make sense for me since I just found out that my levels are way too high. Interesting thought.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #149  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 202/163/120

Height: 5'1"

A dr. told my fiance the same thing about high cholesterol and skin tags. Maybe a healthy diet lowers the cholesterol and therefore the skin tags go away?

Judy. Wow, a trip to Brazil sounds awesome!

Tina: Great job being OP and working out. That's great!

Vanetta: Where or should I say how does one listen to a podcast? I'm electronically/technologically challenged. I would like to hear Jillian's radio show.

I did an hour and a half of planting flowers today and a one mile walk outside. I didn't plan to count the gardening as exercise, but when I was done my heart rate was up and my legs were wobbly from the constant squat position.

Tonight we have passes to a sneak preview of the movie "Prom Night". I'm not to much for scary movies, but hey, it's free!

Last edited by hope4me; 04-10-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #150  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope4me View Post
Vanetta: Where or should I say how does one listen to a podcast? I'm electronically/technologically challenged. I would like to hear Jillian's radio show.
You can listen to them on your computer or you can download them and put them on an MP3 player. Jillian is 09:00 - 12:00 Sunday mornings on KFI in LA. Sometime Monday they take out the commercials and post her show on their website (along with the shows of their other on-air personalities). You can find them here:

http://www.kfi640.com/pages/podcasting/

if that link gets broken, just google KFI 640, go to the "On Air" tab, click on Jillians name and it will take you to her page at the radio station. Her last two shows can be reached from there...keep poking around and you can find the shows from last September to Current.

Don't feel bad about being electronically/technologically challenged...some days I wish I knew less about all the dang things.