Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #151  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

No taste to unripe banana. I love spotty bananas. If you think that banana is ready for banana bread you should see what I use! Ha, ha.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:01 PM   #152  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Just got back from the dentist -- remains to be seen how the mouth feels when the freezing comes out; but so far, Phase I of the Root Canal process was absolutely, positively, pain-free . . .
Old 04-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #153  

Height: 5'1"

Hi, I just read in prevention that over ripe fruit has more nutrition. They contain disease-fighting antioxidants called nonfluorescing chlorophyll catabolites. Good new to everyone who likes fruit very ripe and a good excuse not to get rid of that slightly over ripe banana!
Old 04-08-2008, 03:43 PM   #154  
Isabella

That's good news about over ripe fruit. I often buy the bananas that have been marked down as baking bananas but we eat them as that's how we like them (except my son who is in the less ripe category).

Anywho, what I actually came on to write about is that I have taken an official "before" photo. I thought it might be nice to have something that shows me as I am so I have on running shorts and tank top. I struck a jaunty pose and had my son snap away. As both are quite stretchy I should be able to document the weight loss in the same clothes for quite a while.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #155  

Height: 5'3"

Interesting about the over ripe fruit! Esp in light of the fact that I have heard fresh vegetables that sit in the fridge 3 or 4 days tend to lose a little nutritionally so they are about the same as canned vegetables then. But maybe fruit is different? Sometimes I don't know what to believe any more. I love fruit and veggies though and very little is wasted around here.

Went to the doctor this morning for routine visit...my A1C was 6.7...still good but the highest it's been. I think it's because after we got a new scale and it weighed me 6 lbs higher than I thought I was, I got very discouraged and started just eating anything I wanted...esp snacks and my bs was high about 2 out of 3 tests, but now I'm back to watching what I eat and it's been better so hopefully next time it'll be down again. And surprisingly the doctor didn't talk about medication...he has mentioned the possibility many times even though my A1C previously has always been 6.2, 6.3 or 6.5 and I have always declined as don't feel I need it yet. He is really into preventative care and thats good but sometmes I think he goes to the extreme.

About the new scale...was looking forward to this doctor weigh-in as wanted to be sure our scale is right with doctors. Well, it was a little confusing...my dh weighed (just like he would at the docs) about 30 min. before we left home; I weighed just minutes before we left. At the doctor's office I weighed 1 lbs more than I did at home, but my dh weighed 1 lb less than he did at home! Strange...so now I still don't know exactly how they compare..guess I'll just figure for me it's 1 lb more and not worry about my dh's difference.

Last edited by maryea; 04-08-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #156  

Default About Exercise

I like the very ripe bananas also. They're actually better for you, more vitamins, than the less ripe ones. More flavor too!
I never liked to exercise. Probably the biggest reason was I didn't have any energy left over to expend on physical activity. Now, my health has improved so much I have energy to spare, thanks to ********. I also only do exercise that I like. I like to walk, I rarely like a treadmill. I do about 6 minutes on the treadmill at work but I walk at least 20 minutes a day. I also like to lift weights, I started out with 5 lbs and worked my way up. I think strength training is one of the best things you can do. It has helped me greatly in my weight loss efforts. Lately, I have started dancing. I dance in my own home to the stereo or whatever for at least 15 minutes. I just love it and I lose weight even faster. I have to say the best exercise I ever did was walk my dog but he passed away a few years ago so I've had to improvise. Best of luck to everyone on their weight loss efforts.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #157  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning Chickies . . .

Another day with double digit temperatures -- getting spoiled. Rain in the forecast for tomorrow, though.

Still no pain from the tooth and the scale took a nice little downward blip this morning. Unfortunately the BGL blipped in the other direction -- oh well, can't win 'em all, I guess.

Better get moving and shaking We are going to do the great mall-crawl today instead of tomorrow because of the weather. See you later, gang.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #158  
takeitoff&Keepitoff

I never did experience the rush of the fabled endorphins~ even when I was a runner, many, many moons ago.

It is the very sweet taste and undesirable (to me) texture of over ripe fruits that I don't like.

Besides, over ripe fruits have higher glycemic index which is not only bad for diabetics or any one watching their BGL, but for everyone.

I've been exercising 30mins. for 5 days now, and somehow it is starting to be a breeze.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #159  
Onward and Downward

I'd settle for "breeze" . . . who needs endorphins.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #160  
Isabella

Hello everyone, another mild but not sunny day here and the snow is taking a "cutting" as we say here. I keep looking at my street and know I could start running back and forth the length of the street and eventually get in 5 km. I think the street is about 300 metres long so if I ran a full loop that would give me 600 metres and doing the math if I ran 8 1/2 times I'd have in the 5 km. Hmmmm....I can do this if I can drag my body out the door. I did it in a gym every day for several months before I retired so I know I can do this in my own neighbourhood. I just don't know what the neighbours will think of me going round and round, ha, ha. Maybe I'll get some of them to join me.

Must go measure that distance with the car....

Oh, yes. I've got my weight tracker. Now, there's incentive to get that little flower moving to the right side of the page. Go flower, go flower, go flower.......

Last edited by retiredone; 04-09-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #161  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning,

Isabella, Good idea, taking a picture now so you can compare. I'm afraid i don't have any. I think when I was overweight I would always try to hide behind someone or something when pictures were being taken. Who cares what the neighbors think? Get out there and get your exercise. maybe some of them will join you!

Mary, Try not to focus too much on the scale. Body weight changes off and on during the day. Just use your own scale and weight at the same time. I know weighing at the Dr. office is a must, just don't let it bother you if it's not exactally the same.

Linda, Glad to hear that you got such good results from the dentist. The weather here has been really nice too the last few days. And isn't the new LIGHT wonderful? The longer days seem to give me more energy. So nice to get off work and it is still daylight outside. I get off at 7:30, so just a couple weeks ago i was going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark.

Take care, Freda
Old 04-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #162  
Onward and Downward

Old 04-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #163  
takeitoff&Keepitoff

Well "breeze" comes with the message to up the duration and effort of the exercise.

So I could actually use some of these fabled endorphins to keep it more interesting.

Last edited by girlieyorkie; 04-10-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:38 AM   #164  
Onward and Downward

Sorry about going missing yesterday . . . the weather took a turn for the nasty and so did my body -- went into full blown migraine-mode, complete with upset stomach.

Today, the weather is still pretty dull, but I feel quite a lot better.

Other than a little grocery shopping; nothing very exciting for me. Better set some more beans to soaking -- I really overdid it on homemade bean, barley, vegetable soup yesterday (to the tune of 2100 calories); but that's the only thing I wanted to eat.

Have a great day, everybody . . . see you later . . .
Old 04-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #165  
Kathleen

S/C/G: 308/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4-1/2"

Hope you are feeling better today. I hate not feeling good. But since I have been on low-carb, I seem to feel generally pretty well. Migraines are no fun.

Other than the psychologist, I don't plan to do much except work on trying to clean up this messy place a little.

Have a lovely day.
Closed Thread