Old 12-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #181  

S/C/G: BF% 37.6/see sig/BF20%

Height: 5' 9"

Morning All,

DH is taking the afternoon off and we are off to the sporting goods store to shop for equipment! Yea! I almost finished the NROL, midlife version. Now I need to see if it's more cost effective to buy the equipment for home or join a gym.

@ OLECAT: I'm not sure yet on equipment! I'm eyeballing a cable/pulley system thing. I could go to the Y but I hate to wait for others to get off equipment - or watch folks sweat all over everything and not wipe it off.
I guess I am extra lucky - no kids at home, DH has a great job so I don't have to work (I haven't for a year now - sorta semi-retired) and we have a big old Victorian house with a full sized walk-up attic that I have turned into my 'home gym'. The floors are all padded, I've got an elliptical, treadmill, 2 spin bikes, weight bench, stability ball, bands and freeweights. I get bored easy. I have ZERO excuses for not working out, though!

ZUMBA: After the divorce: Just picture how much he weighs and figure you lose at least that much when it's over!

MrsT

GUAC:What Zumba said...and what you said to her!

KELIJPA: Yep, saw the hobbit. DH loves that stuff!

SeeMyFeet: Just realized you are tall like me! Well, almost - gotcha by 1/2 inch. And you have a fairly low goal weight, too. Folks keep telling me that 140-145 is too low for my height. But - just cause I'm tall doesn't mean I'm big. My 'frame size' is small. It figures-the one time I would like to be large. My goal is really about body fat %. I want to be about 13-15%. So if that's 150 - so be it. I started out with a high weight of 258.... I'm nosy - How did you pick 130?

To all: I went looking for before pictures of all of me at the HW of 258- only found one. Not surprised, really. It seems whenever I am 'heavier' there are pictures of me from the neck up.... So I spent time with a camera and a full length mirror today taking some 'before I started lifting weights' photos. I had no idea what by back side looked like. Sigh. I think it's supposed to be higher than that. But the front probably is supposed to be higher, too Definitely starting with weights!
2FatCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #182  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Wow oh Wow so much to catch up on.

Zumba - I am sorry you are going through such a tough time right now. I know what you mean about getting desperate and depressed about your weight, I am right there with ya. Keep trying or telling myself this is it but keep failing, getting very mad at myself.

MrsTrying - I am so sorry you are still waiting for an answer on getting medical assistance on your husband. As for the pacemaker, my FIL has had one for many years and hardly knows it is there. I really hope things work out for you my dear.

Guac - I am like you, it has been over a year since I lost my weight and here I sit a year later up 8 lbs from where I was this time last year. I am so embarrassed and afraid to gain it all back. Ugh, wish I could divorce myself sometimes.

2Fatcats - I too have several pieces of exercise equipment at home. I have a weight machine, wielder pro and I really love it. I'm with you on going to the gym, much rather do it in the privacy of my own home. I hate waiting for machines or people staring at me while they are waiting for the machine I am on.

This week has been HORRIBLE for me foodwise. On Sunday I actually had fast food, not subway but fast food hamburger and cheese burger. I have eaten pizza and a slice of pie. I am so disgusted with myself I just cannot believe how out of control my eating has become.
I know that I cannot promise to be perfect over the next week. My daughter's 21st birthday is Friday and we are having a big todo. Sunday we are going out to dinner with my FIL for Christmas and then there is Xmas eve and Christmas day.
I am going to do my very best to make reasonable food choices and behave when I am not out. After the holidays, I am cracking down on my eating and exercising. I have got to get this weight off. I feel like a cow!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #183  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

NE......it is the holidays plus you have your daughters bday.....it is unrealistic to think you won't indulge a little bit......try and make good choices. That's all I'm doing for the rest of this year. I only have one dinner out on Friday and then that's it for temptations until Christmas.....I want to bake cookies but I'm wondering if it is a good idea.....
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #184  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

NEMom - Happy birthday to your daughter! Thanks for relating to how I feel. I suppose it says something about our commitment that we are still here posting, even if we are not happy with how we are progressing. At least we are still fighting.

2FatCats - Weight training is supposed to make a big difference in your appearance! Congrats on the new equipment. Like NEMom, I also like to work out with weights at home. However, I have no equipment except some 5lb free weights. I was doing weight training at a local gym, but their equipment wasn't the greatest and I also don't like being watched while I work out.

Zumbachica - I always read on here that sometimes a binge takes a few days to show up on the scale. Is the the one pound due to one day on nutrisystem, or a few bad days of eating? Since you already bought the food and can't return it, maybe hang in there and stick to it until you have used up your supply. Maybe you will be pleasantly surprised? I have no experience with nutrisystem, so I am not trying to push the diet - just trying to save you money!

I went for a 2 mile walk today and have been on plan so far. I really felt down yesterday because I again went shopping for a formal dress for an upcoming wedding and found that some of the size 12s I tried on were feeling snug. That really scared me! I really do believe in vanity sizing now, though. When I went shopping a few days ago at Nordstrom's, Lord & Taylors, and Macy's, I was fitting into 8s and 10s. Yesterday I went the discount route at Marshalls, Ross, and JCPenny, and 12s just fit me.

Good luck today, everyone.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #185  

S/C/G: 183/159/128

Height: 5'6.5"

Hello Ladies -

I think we have a consistent theme here - THE HOLIDAYS ARE HARD! UH!

I am also eating "off plan" - every evening is a "let's have a holiday drink" - which is usually accompanied by fattening, high carb FOOD!!

My goal over the next two weeks - MAINTAIN. I don't plan on losing any weight - but I sure don't want to gain any either! That said, as difficult as this is, as soon as I finish this post - despite completely NOT being in the mood - I'm going to run on the treadmill for 30 minutes which will hopefully turn into a 40 minute run (my 5K) - but I'll be satisfied with 30 - - at least I know I'm undoing SOME of the damage! It also helps with those "guilty" feelings - LOL

Okay - "Do the Time Sheila" -- only 30 minutes - - in the grand scheme of things it's just one "SpongeBob" episode!!! LOL!

Alright - I'm motivated by you ladies now - - I'm off to run - or even if I have to walk - but I have a meeting with my treadmill!!!!! I'll check in after I'm done!

Sheila
Sheila22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #186  

Okay - I didn't do 5K, but I ran for 30 minutes and am dripping with SWEAT!! (what I refer to as "fat crying"....LOL). Feel MUCH better! Well worth the small time investment - DO ME!

Now my evening is free to RELAX. I'm eating carbs through the holidays, but trying to be smart about it. So I'm having an Ezekiel muffin with veggie cheese for dinner...and maybe a little of this bean salad I bought at the health food store deli...

And I haven't been weighing myself daily because I know I've been "bad" lately....decidedly, I really do need to weigh in daily - even through the holidays - just to keep my goal top of mind - not that I'm not going to enjoy the holiday fare, but simply to be more aware and maybe instead of two servings of those cheesy potatoes, if I know the scale is sliding up, I'll only have ONE helping (and a smaller portion at that). I just don't want to get on the scale January 1st and have 5 additional pounds to lose!!! I've worked to hard to get those off! LOL

I will feel better knowing that I am CHOOSING to either "Maintain or Gain"....:-)

Well - off to wrap presents - I am SO glad I'm done shopping!!! Still have to stop at the drug store to pick up a few stocking stuffers but nothing significant left to purchase - WHEW!

Hope everyone has a great evening! We can do this!!! Only a couple more weeks until what I am referring to as "Bootcamp"....LOL

Last edited by Sheila22; 12-19-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #187  
NewB'day:27Jun16

S/C/G: 233.4/231.2/199

Height: 5ft 3in

Good words from you (cough) all today (cough). I have the voice of Nene Leakes (cough) in my head. She's (cough) sayin: "Why the HE## did my scale go up 1/2 lb today when I only had 500 calories yesterday??? Can somebody PLEASE explain that to me?" (cough).......I'm sick of being sick already.

You ladies are dealing with a lot right now. Just hang on for a little while. Find some relaxing moments four yourself...hot cup of tea....warm blanket....(icy drink for Lizzz).....and reflect on all you've accomplished already......some of you are really close to goal.....feel free to gloat that you're not in MY position right now......just getting started and a long way to go......just look at you guys...trying on fancy dresses.....making fun plans.....You're out there, even if you don't feel at the top of your game.

MrsT--I don't know what to say. I would be so upset if my TH were facing such health problems. Listen to everyone...he'll be better after the surgery. My uncle had pacemaker problems since his 30s and he's in his 90s now. Even way back then, something could be done to help.

Shiela22--30min run! jealous! Ugh....I cannot breathe today. Would LOVE to make my fat cells cry today.

2FatCats--I should measure myself. I never felt comfortable being tall, and I swear, it feels like I've grown a couple of inches the last few years. Probably because everyone I know 50+ is shrinking, including my TH. I'm big framed, by wrist size, and weighed 127 when I got married. My highest pre-pregnancy weight was 137. At 137, I could wear things from size 8-12, bigger sizes for long arms/legs. So 130 is ambitious. We'll see..... When were you at 258 and how long did it take to get down to 180??

Hey---I was remembering a weight loss fad that was going around when I was a girl. You could go to a dentist and he would wire your mouth shut! No choice but liquid diet. Anybody remember that???

Well, my DS is gangnamming me, so I'd better pay him some attention. (working farmer style....too funny)
SeeMyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #188  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Wow, this thread is smokin' can't miss a day, by the time I read everything, I forget what I wanted to say...lol

Zumba~we bought a juicebullet at bed, bath, etc. it had a recipe book with it so tried some of those, it started because DH watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and then had me watch it. so they have this website reboot with a bunch of recipes and plans, if you download the pdfs you'll see it's not all just juice, but salads, veggie soups, there was a lot of talk about micronutrients in vegetables, so we just started eating more veggies/fruits and threw in a juice fast to try it. One of the guys i work with has some kind of juice for breakfast every morning, he eats regular food for lunch, but has his carrot, apple, and whatever juice in the morning. I'm curious about the NS you bought, are they meals or shakes?

Speaking of diet fads, I do remember the jaw wiring fad! I remember wishing I could do that...now I can't imagine...when Oprah went on that liquid diet I remember lots of people talking about that and using slimfast like that, or slim fast for bfast and lunch and then some kind of weight loss dinner, I feel like I'm babbling...

So, DH had a tooth that's been bothering him off and on for a couple weeks that he didn't mention, just seemed not himself a few times, but then was back to himself, then yesterday was in lots of pain, to the point he called me at work, which he never does for something like that, so of course we haven't been to the dentist since we moved here, so had to find one, he was miserable, I had TOM so I was miserable with that and worried about him, so to make a long story even longer, ended up taking him to dentist, she pulled the tooth, one of his wisdom teeth that had been filled, patched, etc. so now he's like the tiger who got the thorn removed from his paw, coming back to himself, tired from the rough few days, but so much better. I felt better too, relief that it wasn't worse than it was, so got out for a good walk with the little dog, even ran some on each lap, first time for that, so feeling pretty good.

Tomorrow is work xmas lunch, hopefully won't be too bad, but I'm thinking it might be...I'm really wondering how the xmas eve, day, dinner at my parents the 27th, man what am I going to be looking at coming out the other side of that week...the scale will be crying for mercy...lol

sorry I couldn't answer everyone, and if I ran on too long, I so enjoy this thread, you ladies are great, you really pick me up when I'm down, thanks for that and hopefully sometimes something I write picks you up

best to all
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #189  

I have personal experience with "jaw wiring" - broke my jaw and was wired shut for 12 weeks years ago....yep - lost a ton of weight...but I sincerely felt hunger for the first time - real hunger...and after I was unwired, my metabolism was so messed up I gained it all back and then some! LOL not worth it...

....funny I've been talking to some friends tonight - they are struggling this week - I am too - - I think everyone has "holiday fever"....everyone is just ready for a break. I know I am!!! :-)

We all need to start gearing up for our New Years goals soon!!!! Just think about how far we have all come and how far we will go next year!!!!!
Old 12-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #190  
NewB'day:27Jun16

S/C/G: 233.4/231.2/199

Height: 5ft 3in

OMG! Shiela22--how awful!! Sounds like a baseball/softball injury??????

My worst medical experience was a retinal surgery....I had to spend 3 weeks with my nose to the floor...day and night...no moving....while that was awful (especially from midnight to 6am) the jaw wiring sounds worse......12 weeks....aaaaaiiiiiieeeeeeee....

Hey--I had another memory from childhood (sorry, this cold is making me delirious)............jumping rope at recess........double dutch and all those fun tricks......why, oh why, did we outgrow this?????

Last edited by SeeMyFeet; 12-19-2012 at 11:01 PM.
SeeMyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:09 AM   #191  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/185?

Height: 5'6"

I'm just popping in to let you know I'm hanging in there, I think. Kind of an emotional day...found out we probaly will not have an answer for H's medical financial assistance for at least a month probably more. I feel like I spent all night crying & worrying for nothing...I slept maybe 3 hours then had to work.
Yes, I do know that a pacemaker will make all the differnce in the world. My maternal grandma had one for at least 15 yrs. for the same reason. I'm just frustrated & worried because I don't know WHEN he'll be able to get it. And will it be before too much damage is done? Or worse?
I have been able to keep on track. Helping to keep H on track is helping ME stay on track. I refuse to let sweets, food high in fat or sodium in our home. I just cannot & will not allow it. We aren't depriving ourselves...just if we want something sweet we buy just a serving each of it, NO taking home a box/bag/dozen/case.
We had a beautiful walk together this AM. It was nice to get out in the icy coolness & just be together without having to make phone calls, go to appts or pick up medications. With that, I'm spent mentally/emotionally/physically. Good night. I'll see about catching up with you all tomorrow. I have a day off & far as I know...nothing to do but rest, clean & laundry.

Cyber-hugs to you all! BE GOOD! BE HEALTHY! HUG YOUR LOVED ONES!!!
MrsTryingAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:42 AM   #192  

me i am doing okays..still fighting the cravings..sweating my arse off (and i hope literally)..lol..lol.. stopped walking in the mornings...but doing hydro everyday despite TOM..walking at night is just bearable in this heat and humidity...sigh...tis one extreme to the other i suppose...you guys are shivering in your wellies and i am sweating buckets..darn it!!...oh well need to do lots around this house to get ready for going away and christmas etc etc etc..hope you all are doing okays and keeping well and safe!!

mrs-my heart goes out to you and hubby..i bet you are scared and worried silly...i would be!!...i am keeping all of my appendages crossed for you and my eyes too!!

zumba-yes feeling soo much better..i swear sometimes my uterus feels like it weighs and tonne and when things start happening i feel like 10 kgs lighter..sigh if only that were true!! yes and my thoughts and
best wishes for you is this trying time!!..i soo hope you feel better soon..your TOM is coming and perhaps this is why you feel soo yucky at the moment!! yeah i thought about baking biscuits too but decided not too...the dough is tooooo much temptation for me!!

moving- happy birthday to you dear lady!!

nemom-you are doing soooo well with the ciggies...just one step at a time hun...your meal planning will come back soon and you will feel soo much better without the smokes as well..yes i knows what you mean.. christmas and new year are going to be a big challenge for most of us i think..and i know i am going to go off plan!!

sheila-hey there girl you are doing great!! i figure if you are being active then thats half the fight.. the food is the other and besides we are in the dreaded silly season and i think we can excuse ourselves for a few naughty things!!

see-i soo love your sense of humour hun!! keep on dishing it out..i love it...thanks for the cool drink i soo appreciate it...tis bloody hot here!! yeps i am there with you..just started myself and doing a bit of struggling but trying very hard even so!

kelijpa-hey my dh did the same thing with a bad tooth...he finally complained and had it pulled too...MEN!! oh well at least he got something done about it in the end...now i am faced with getting him organised for a sleep test...i know he has bad apnoea...cause i have it too and use a cpap machine...he needs to as well but is putting it off and off and off...but i am determined to have him done in the new year though
wether he likes it or not!!
lizarddau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #193  

I think I'm already mentally on holiday vacation....LOL

I have absolutely NO desire to get ready to go to work this morning! To make matters worse, I woke up thinking it was Saturday - (it's THURSDAY)...UH!

But tomorrow is FRIDAY!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!
Old 12-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #194  

S/C/G: 155.2/150/149

Height: 5'2"

Wow, yeah, can’t miss a moment around here, lol. Must whine again, because that’s what I do after I am foolish enough to weigh myself in the middle of this holiday stuff.

1. I weighed myself this morning, even knowing this was foolish. See, I had made gumbo last night and it turned out not so great (usually it’s one of my signature dishes) and overly salty AND so I know the sodium was out of the roof. But I was really hungry after I made it and had like two bowls of it. Blech. I also had like a glass and a half of wine. I’m also on the last few pills of my birth control pill cycle (I take them to stop my periods since my periods are so bad) and I always bloat up a little those last few days, almost like PMS. Anyway, the weigh-in was grim, and it was about what I had suspected, at about 144.
2. I haven’t gotten back into exercising. I got sick over 2 weeks ago. I’ve had a lingering cough and chest congestion. It threw my routine completely out the window. Plus, I’m being indecisive about what I really want to do for exercise. So many people are telling me to throw cardio mostly out the window and do heavy lifting. But I don’t really know where to start with the heavy lifting or how to do it.
3. The weather is promising to be atrocious today and tomorrow with possibly our first snowfall of the year coming. So I have no plans to go to the gym.
4. I made soft toffee last night. I don’t like the hard stuff at all, so I purposefully don’t cook the butter/sugar nearly as long as you’re supposed to and so it’s very soft, melt-in-your mouth and beyond delicious. Why do I sabotage self like this? But I did show some self-control at least and only had one piece instead of eating the whole pan as I would have wanted to do.
5. Today is our holiday luncheon at work. I don’t know what to do about it. On one hand, I would rather save all the extra calories for Christmas Eve/Christmas, but on the other hand, I don’t know if I’ll be able to resist it today. I have no strength.

Okay, that felt good!

@zumba – wow, that nutrisystem doesn’t sound good at all! Those packaged meal plans seem a little scary to me, frankly. Who knows what sorts of preservatives they have in them. I think you will feel better on a lower carb. I know I always do. It’s like it makes me feel light and energetic. I’m going to be moving into doing Paleo/primal (which is similar to Atkins in a lot of way, only there’s more fruit involved) after the holidays. That always makes me feel good is to eat real food and fewer carbs. I only wish I liked meat a little better than I do.

@2fatcats – I have a gym membership but I feel so self-conscious when I’m there. I wish I had a full gym at home!

@NEmom – I feel the same way..it will be hard to be perfect the next week or so!

@guac – I sympathize with the buying clothes thing. A few months ago when I was at my high weight I went looking for some jeans, thinking I’d be a size 8 (am usually a 6 when I’m in the mid 130s), but I was horrified (for me) that I had to get a 12. I almost cried right there in the dressing room. And it wasn’t just one brand. It was multiple brands that I tried on. Now I’m probably closer back to my 8s (I can wear a size 8 that I have already), but maybe not now after a few days of major bloat. :-p

@sheila – go you on the running! I also need to get back to exercise, but this time of year I can barely make myself go ANYWHERE aside from work (when it’s cold and nasty outside) much less to the gym or outside to run. Fat crying! I love it. I’m with you. I have two more days of work this week and really am having trouble getting motivated to care. I won’t even have to do that much the next few days, lol. Mostly just planning for January.

@Seemyfeet –yikes, feel better soon! That sounds really miserable! Oh my gosh, my dad had that retinal surgery some years ago and that was awful, especially because it never healed properly and he ended up losing permanent vision in that eye.

@kellijpa – am so tempted to buy a juicer!

@MrsTryingAgain – oh, man. *hugs*
olehcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #195  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

hi everyone....have to make this quick because I'm taking a good friend to chemo today..talk about putting things into perspective! She's a great person and this is the second time she's going through chemo, the first was years ago. She's a fighter and she's doing great.

anyhoooey.....I dropped that nutratshitsystem to the curb. I was starving the two days on it and the sodium was making me gain weight. Yesterday I did a full day of Atkins and wouldn't you know it I already lost some bloat and I didn't feel hungry last night. (Night time eating is a big issue for me). I think I'll be sticking to this for a while to get my binging under control and then come the new year switch from atkins to BFC and then eventually just have a low carb lifestyle that I can keep forever.

After chemo I'm getting a massage (found a gift certificate that was going to expire!!!) and then out to eat with friends. I already told them I can only have meat and veggies, so no italian places where i"m going to want pasta.

I'm off like a rocket, I hope you ladies have a good day.
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote