Old 06-23-2013, 12:17 AM   #136  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 251/248/150

Height: 5'8"

Hello, I saw this thread and knew it would be great for me .

I've regained lost weight twice, and this time I want to lose it for good. The most weight I've lost is 50lb, and I'd never felt so good as when I hit that 199 mark last year and the energy I felt was amazing. I need to do it again! I need to lose 101lb!

I can't wait to get to know some of you and help motivate others into kicking *** and losing weight ^^.
Loch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #137  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Hi guys.

I am so burned out on being on a "diet." I feel like there is smoke coming out of my ears. I already changed my lifestyle soooo much:

no sodas, ever
drinking tons of water
no fast food
almost no grains
almost no sugar
decaf coffee only, no creamer, black in the morning
walking daily
not adding salt
eating a lot of fruits and veggies
NO more binge eating

I mean, I changed all those things permanently. I think that is the only reason I have been able to keep off 60-70 pounds for years.

BUT, those lifestyle changes are not enough to get MORE weight off, so I feel like I have to "diet" meaning restrict. Not horrible restriction, just... enough to see regular losses, whether it is calorie counting, carb counting, exchanges, whatever. I just wish there was a way to lose the weight without so much focus and attention. It gets kind of old doesn't it? Especially second time around.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #138  
One Day At A Time

It does suck, especially after you hit a plateau, because we try so hard and then something just...makes it stop.

The thing is, no matter the diet, or the change, or whatever you do, it all boils down to a basic science: burn more calories than you consume.

It's fantastic to start by cutting out all the bad foods, however, you may very well be eating so many of those good foods that you're maintaining your weight. If you haven't gone down OR up, that's what could be going on.

Look at ways you could burn off 500 calories a day for your height and weight. You could go for a walk, or bike, or do things around the house. If you don't want to restrict your current food intake, exercise is a great way to get off those extra pounds.

Or, you could start counting your calories. Did you know that a handful of nuts is 100 calories? Just 2 teaspoons of sunflower seeds unshelled is 100! Fruit is packed full of carbs, and sugars.

Take a close look at what you're eating, and consider how hard you wanna push yourself to meet your goals. It's tough, it'd be nice to just eat and lose weight without thinking, but then we'd have to really starve ourselves lol.

I know a couple good sites for tracking calories, and what activities burn what calories, and google also helps .

Hope that helps!

I just wanted to add, I've been counting calories so long that I remember what has how many calories, so these days I barely have to think, I just measure and go.

Last edited by Loch; 06-23-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #139  

Thanks Loch! I appreciate your suggestions!

I do think a lot of it has to do with lack of activity. I am just coming off a year of sitting in a recliner most of the time because I had severe plantar fasciitis and achilles tendonitis that did not respond to any treatments. It was HORRIBLE. One step was so painful I almost had to crawl. Finally it is getting better (cortisone shots) and this week I have been walking a couple miles a day. It is wonderful. I am trying to bike as well... hard to find the time but I am working on it. Hopefully it will make a difference.

Last edited by Lyn2007; 06-23-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #140  
One Day At A Time

Another good thing is to measure yourself rather than weigh. Sometimes we gain muscle, especially if you do walk daily, or do an activity. Scales can throw us off, and we should never take them too seriously, because there are so many factors toward how much we weigh.

I hope you break that plateau and get back to losing! I'm sure it'll happen for you .
Old 06-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #141  
Funky

S/C/G: 238/223.5/200

Height: 5'3"

I have been off plan for the last week. Back on track today. I have been counting calories and I am maintaining but I have not lost for 3 weeks, just up and down the same 3 pounds. So frustrating.

Everything you guys write hits notes with me. Keep up the posting it helps me so much. I can never put what I am feeling into words but then I read your posts and you are saying what I feel. It reassures me that I am not alone. Thanks.
LoseToAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #142  
One Day At A Time

You're never alone LoseToAll. There are millions of people in the world struggling to get healthy. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change, and you'll get there!

If you find that the weight isn't budging, really think about what you're doing, and what you can change. Also, if you're exercising, remember that muscle weighs more than fat does! If you're gaining muscle you're going to be affecting the scales. That's why a lot of people measure themselves too.

If you use salt, cut it out as much as you can, sodium makes us retain water. Also, drink lots of water! So many people forget this, but water helps flush out toxins and also helps us stave off hunger. Sometimes we're thirsty, but we mistake that for hunger.

If you need any further help, feel free to message me

You can do it!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #143  

Going on and off is so hard, LoseToAll, it is the main reason I haven't gotten to goal in 5 years of effort. Seems like once I am off plan, I get up each morning and start off good and then by lunch I think "well I really want xyz, I will have it and then have this other food I was craving for dinner, and THEN I will be ready to start again tomorrow!" and that goes on for weeks or months. So hard.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #144  
one day at a time

Hi everyone, I'm brand new on here. Hoping to find some support and friends to help me through my journey. I have about 50 lbs. to lose. I am definitely an emotional eater. I'm going through menopause and have packed on the weight. It's so hard for me to just eat one cookie.....I eat the whole pack! I hope I can do this. I have a long way to go, but today I started my diet and I hope to get motivated from all of you.

Last edited by 1chunkychicken; 06-24-2013 at 05:29 PM.
1chunkychicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #145  

S/C/G: 152/152/132

Height: 5' 2"

Hello - I'm joining this thread too. I've always been overweight and 2 years ago I was able to just push myself and exercise regularly. I did the 10k too for the first time ever and then everything went down after that. I've gained almost 20lbs and it's as if I self-sabotage... I don't want to binge eat but I want to too because it's as if there's this other voice that says 'that's all you'll ever be, you'll always fail so might as well start the fattening up now'. does anyone else feel that way or could it be just me..? sigh. anyway... I'm starting again...trying to..
kairyudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #146  
One Day At A Time

I feel that way all the time. I think to myself, who cares what anyone thinks? They see I'm fat already, I may as well just eat this junk food and be done with it.

But that's no way to live. You just have to keep reminding yourself that life is worth more than shoving cake in your face. Embrace health, and look toward a better you !
Old 06-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #147  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Wow, I didn't log on here for a few days and missed lots...

To all the emotional eaters, I get it. This is my demon. I think we have to start all over and readjust our thoughts about food. Unlike an alcoholic or a drug user who quits and quite possibly never touches alcohol or drugs again, we have to keep eating food. I have to continually tell myself that the purpose of food is to keep me alive - not for enjoyment or to make me happy. I do want to be healthy, so I need to eat healthy food.

I lost 17 pounds in the first 2 weeks of this month and now have been bouncing around up and down a pound or two. In the past this is my pattern also. I let go of large amounts of weight and then sit tight for awhile and then another woosh. I can tell my shape is getting smaller, so expecting a scale drop anyday now!

Last edited by Nori71; 06-25-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #148  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by kairyudo View Post
Hello - I'm joining this thread too. I've always been overweight and 2 years ago I was able to just push myself and exercise regularly. I did the 10k too for the first time ever and then everything went down after that. I've gained almost 20lbs and it's as if I self-sabotage... I don't want to binge eat but I want to too because it's as if there's this other voice that says 'that's all you'll ever be, you'll always fail so might as well start the fattening up now'. does anyone else feel that way or could it be just me..? sigh. anyway... I'm starting again...trying to..
In the past 2 years I have listened and bought into the negative self-talk going on in my head. I really never thought I'd be someone who would "let herself go". But, it happened and I just have to rise about it now. I'm not sure why I had to hit 300 pounds before getting angry about it. But, the bottom line is I want to be healthy. For myself and for my family. No one can do that for me except for me - and it's not a quick fix. It's doing the right thing and then doing it again and again and again. It's also good to do positive affirmations!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #149  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

I was just reading back through some old posts of mine, from about 10 months ago, when I was at my lowest weight and contemplating the transition to maintenance - before the regain. It's hard to believe that I was really in the mid-150s, 20 pounds trimmer than I am now. I am miffed about this regain but also thoroughly determined to undo it.

I've been back on plan for one month. I just booked tickets for my second trip to India, in late October, just about 4 months from now. I am determined to stay on plan between now and then. I would love to be back in the 150s again when I leave.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:17 AM   #150  

S/C/G: 152/152/132

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nori71 View Post
In the past 2 years I have listened and bought into the negative self-talk going on in my head. I really never thought I'd be someone who would "let herself go". But, it happened and I just have to rise about it now. I'm not sure why I had to hit 300 pounds before getting angry about it. But, the bottom line is I want to be healthy. For myself and for my family. No one can do that for me except for me - and it's not a quick fix. It's doing the right thing and then doing it again and again and again. It's also good to do positive affirmations!
So true. Doing the right thing and doing it again and again... and yes to positive affirmations too... i am horrible at that but i'll be working on it! Going for a walk NOW. haha
kairyudo is offline   Reply With Quote