Old 01-24-2006, 01:59 AM   #106  

Holly-- Great list... indeed life IS sexually transmitted. Too bad the religious right can't get around that. Hmph.

CeeJay and Happy... it was cloudy all day yesterday, but it only drizzled. I don't think there was a serious dent made in our drought. OK. to be honest, i haven't listened to the weather... but we certainly didn't get more than an inch, and were about a foot behind.

for what it's worth, there was a news article that said Monday (the 23rd) was mostlikely to be the saddest/worst day of the YEAR for most people... something about post-Christmas bills coming, short days and long nights, defeated new year's resolutions... etc. It was a real study from Cardiff/Wales. Mind wasn't so sad.

Mailed a cheer up care package to a friend in Estonia, some pre-read books to DD... and had an actual SV today.... two pounds from last week.
I hope it keeps me on track.

That's my best news.
The other is that I have a couple of new clients. Job security.
PainterWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:49 AM   #107  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Evening all,

I seem to be getting later and later with my posts. Still I am posting so you all know I am still living.

Happy - you could use any combinatin of vegetables with that recipe. I have a feeling that the acorn squashes may be to watery, however you could try something else like carrot or parsnip or eggplant may work and as many herbs as you wish. Mushrooms could also be okay. Yes a griller is a broiler as you so rightly surmised. Not sure if I put the Kj or Cals in the information - 1 serve = 125cals. 9g Protein, Carb 10g, Firbe 3g, cholestrol 90mg.
You are right, you can't cut everything from the diet. String cheese and v8 juice?? who'd a thunk that.
Left to themselves, men wouldn't even think about half those things.

Madcat - It was more the cigs themselves than the dancing stuff Madcat. I was having a go at you for posting a picture of the salubrious narcotic. Didn't even think about Linus giving up. Sorry Linus. Any decisions on the dress? Painter likes gold, I'm pitching for silver, so was someone else. You'll probably wear royal purple just to fool the lot of us!

Mel - do you have anyone in mind to get organised, engaged to and wed on the same day? Pray let us in on the secret - you've not said anything about this to us previously?
If you can't have normal bread, will you be allowed to use flat bread - as in lavash, pita or pide, naan etc?? I'm lost without something to wrap stuff in or without the doings for a sandwich. Can you eat rice paper wraps or nori (seaweed - it makes good wraps for fillings)?

Holly - I hear you on the high cost of feeding a family these days. Time to try to sort out some ways of cutting the bills. Buying in season is definitely one of those. Do you do preserving (aaah sorry - canning) or anything like jam making or pickles. Do you have a vege garden (in the summer of course, can't imagine anything growing in your impossible temperatures).
Glad to hear the DH is getting less scratchy! Thanks for the giggles.

Ceejay - good going on organising the exercise. 45 mins per day is not bad going. I think tho' you may need to think about a rest day to let the body recover. I have two rest days per week. I work out for an hour for 4 days and I have 2 hours on the other day. I have scheduled this into my day. I find I can not do 7 days and sometimes 6 are just too much.

I have just had the man from the door shop around to quote me on a new front and back door. The old doors are not in good shape and the locks are inadequate so I have ordered two solid maple wood doors with safety glass panels - they should look okay. They should arrive in a couple of weeks and be fitted and have new locks etc. I have to paint them then. I'll be happy when they are done. Another job off the list.

Java, if you wish to let us see the ring, I will send you my e-mail address and put it on the thread for you. You can put it on yourself if you do the following.

1. Click the Go advanced button on the bottom of the Quick Reply field at the bottom of the posts.
2. Scroll down to the Additional Options field and click the Manage Attachments button in the Attach Files area.
3. This brings up a box asking for a file name and path to be uploaded. If you have the picture on your computer choose the first box. Click Browse to go to your computer and find the picture file. Double click the required file to select. The path will appear in the field of the 3FC box. It will look something like C:My Documents/My Pictures/ Turtles rocks! Now the size is important doing it this way so if your picture is too big, the file will not upload.
4. Click Upload when the file appears in the field. If the picture is too big, then it will tell you at this point. If you can resize, then go do that and try again. If not - email the picture to me or Mel (who will send it on to me) and I will put it up for you.
Hope that is clear enough. You can see the size of the picture in your files by right mouse clicking the file and then clicking Properties from the menu. The subsequent dialogue box will tell you the size of the file. It can only be 50KB and no bigger than 500 x 500 pixels.

Painter - leave the best to the last - 2lb down. That is wonderful and two new clients to boot. Is two the lucky number or something.
Sorry you didn't get much rain. For all that we had last week, the dams are still not above danger level. Do you get the impression that the dams are in the wrong places???

Gotta go. The electrician just popped his head in the door. He will have some spare time to talk to me next week. Now I HAVE to think lighting and power!!!! Drat. I just wanted a night in front of the TV. Doors, lighting, security - what next?
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:20 AM   #108  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Good morning everyone

Congrats PW on your gain (new clients) and your loss (of pounds)! Continued success on both fronts. I have a friend who lives in North Texas. Said as soon as the bit of rain they got dries up, they will be back to fire danger again. What little they got didn't touch the deficit. I guess we are way under on rainfall too.

New doors sound lovely Shad. Pity that we have to feel the locks are inadequate. When we first moved into the apartment down here there was only one door and the lock was so flimsy that even I could have broken the door open. I was nervous every night - guess that's why we only stayed in the apartment 3 weeks - we may have even moved out on January 23 and let me tell you that was NOT a sad day for me.

My SIL's birthday is January 23. I will have to tell her she was born on the saddest day of the year. I know in years past when I have way way overspent on Christmas, seeing those bills fly in along with no holidays to look forward to until May made for a dreadful February.

Anyway I digress as usual... Shad you have done so much with the house, it must be nearing the point of completely rebuilt. Will you ever be done? Guess not as there is always something to do, eh? What's this about lighting and power - is there rewiring to be done?

Holly, those were great quotes, I had many a laugh thanks for sharing them. Hope the DH has gotten out of his funk, I've had to deal with that for many years, it's no fun for those that have to be around them.

Poor Mel, off to get poked and prodded and squeezed and filtered take care Glad to hear that you are beating back the path of those lingering at your door You are welcome to stop by any time Mel. I notice you did not say anything about leaving the at home - you're not thinking of trying to sneak them in here, are you?

Ceejay, after my uncle developed diabetes, my cousin as a show of support started to follow the diabetes diet. She was very successful at weight loss whereas before she struggled. I think that's a fine idea of yours. Will help direct you to and away from the proper foods. 3FC has a great database of nutrition, I thought it had the glycemic index as part of the food stats but I was wrong - it's the calorie dense index. You are right to get a jump start on this before it becomes a bigger problem.

Ok, well I had gotten up extra early as I have to get to the office early and that won't happen if I'm sitting here in front of the computer so I'm off to put on a fresh pot of coffee and get ready to face the day. Have a good one all...
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:46 AM   #109  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Painterwoman--congrats on both the new clients and weight loss.

Mel--good luck with the catscan. I've never had one and if I did they would have to sedate me. I don't like to be in that tight of a space.

Holly--Thank you for the laughs.

Shad--I'm going to try your recipe. Sounds easy enough for me--I'm not a good cook. I don't mind the exercise. I will cut down on the "toning" part.
My muscles are getting sore.

Happy--I hope that once the bls is stablized by diet that I too will loose some pounds.

I've started on my ediets plan but they have a lot of salads. I like salads but to much is not a good thing for the IBS. The one thing I like about this sight is that there recipe's are simple and basically for one person and that's perfect for me. I hate left overs. I have also found that bread products does play a role in making my bls rise,especially hamburger buns etc.

Today is my busy day at work so I don't have much time to spend here.

Hello to the rest.

exercise 270-35=235. Slowly but surely I'm getting there.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:14 PM   #110  

Default now where was i ????

oh yes i remeber sorry i just sort of left his royal highness woke up screaming and didnt really stop he had a bad cold and every time i laid him down he creid until i realised all the gunky stuff was making it damn hard to breathe when he was flat on his back bad mummy
the stopping smoking is horrendous i wont tell you how many sneaky ones ive had but my best freind has said shes gonna stop with me so hopefully itll get easier its the middle of the night ones i miss the most and i dont think shed like me calling her at 4 am most mornings somehow
MADCAT the dancing fags are brill sort of looks like dreams i keep having i meant to ask if you were leaving straight from the wedding to your honeymoon ,if so please remember and get someone who wont be inebriated to to take your wedding gifts and cards home my sister-in-law didnt and i got a frantic call to go to the hotel and collect everything including her Ł2000 wedding dress and her wedding cake and over Ł1000 in cash shed gotten as pressies as m.i.l had the kids for her and her bridesmaid who was supposed to be doing it was so hungover she couldnt walk
JAVA many many congratulations i hope your marriage will be as happy and as long and as fruitfull{well maybe not }as mine is
MEL so your going to go and get touched up AGAIN my goodness woman your turning scarlet
right folks the dreaded ironing is calling again but before i go i must just say the reason its always the british that come up with all these sad day things is because its still bloody raining
bye for now
kirsty
linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:48 AM   #111  

Default Evening all,

Still running late right through the day - it is probably because I haven't been getting up so early and am therefore behind before I even start - although that hasn't worried me too much either since I've done a lot of reading over the past couple of weeks.

I meant to post another recipe tonight, but I have run out of steam and it is time to snooze again.

Today was last day at gym for the week. I notice that I always seem to be tired on the last day, that things don't go quite so well. I always manage to finish the course but there is a lot of self talk and driving force to complete some days. Today was one of those. It annoys me somewhat, but I guess we all have our days.

Raced around and mowed the lawns tonight after the sun had gone down. Too hot to do them in the middle of the day. Ran the lawnmower over the pruning saw too. That caused a fair amount of strife I can tell you. New pruning saw coming up - my own fault entirely. Tomorrow, since I'm not going to the gym will be early sanding, sealing and painting in the dining room and then some way overdue gardening.

Happy - new doors are necessary because the old ones were really getting old and tatty. They were not good doors to start with as they are hollow core doors. The new ones are solid timber. When this house was built, it was built down to a price and not up to a standard. So the locks were fairly simple stuff. The original key can no longer be copied because the lockman says it is too thing and I really don't remember ever having a key for the back door. I suppose there was one, but where it may be is anyones guess. Well overdue for a change.

Ceejay - I know what you mean about recipes for multiple quantities. I usually freeze the remainder serves, but you can't do that with salady type things and there is stuff that doesn't freeze well. If I leave it in the fridge for tomorrow, I am inclined to eat it today.

Linus - a good tip there for Madcat. It's often little things like that that get forgotten. Sorry to hear that you are having a tough time getting shot of the dreaded weed. But at least you are trying.

Not many of us in today. We had such a huge bunch in earlier too. Now they all seem to have disappeared on us. Leaving us all alone again. Aaaagh well. They are welcome back if they want to come. If not, well we have to think of Happy's friends for a season, friends for a reason mantra.

Time for bed. Times a movin' on. Catchya
Old 01-25-2006, 08:46 AM   #112  
Smackin' into a Wall

Just a quick drive by entry Work has been crazy busy so I haven't really had time to do much more than read the forum. Hey, it's sometimes one bright spot of sanity in an otherwise crazy world. I have 15 before I hit my first meeting of the day... painless extraction of information from SMEs my specialty. Have notebook, will travel.

I have a co-op meeting tonight but I’ll try to get back later.

Everyone have a great day!
Madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:21 PM   #113  
Radiate self!

Hi, the computer guys are laying new fiber optic cable and my internet is very unstable, should be up and functional by the weekend. It is very wet here, the snow is melting fast. I've done 4 miles. Had a run in with some brown sugar glazed ham so far the chocolate has been silent.

Hi everybody
Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:39 PM   #114  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Meadow--glad to see you even if it's for a few minutes.

Madcat--I don't usually have meetings but this morning there was a meeting about our 401k plan.

Hello to the rest.

As mentioned before we had a 401k meeting. I'm not pleased with the switch in companies. I've been looking at altenatives and for myself because I'm thinking of opting out and taking out an Investment Retirment Account, IRA. The amount I deposit each month (up to 4,000 dollars per year) can be deducted off my income taxes. I think it is a much better investment. I've lost money in the stock market these past couple of years and even though the employer is matching what I put in the 401K now it will not with the IRA. From my perspective I think that the amount deducted will probably be the offset. The new company will be strictly stock market.

Exercise 235-40=195 minutes left

Last edited by ceejay52; 01-25-2006 at 03:45 PM.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:15 PM   #115  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

Quick note: Ceejay - please rethink the 401K - the match is essentially like an extra bonus, if you think about it. Overall, if you leave money in the stock market for 10 years, you will be ahead. Is there a financial investment course at a junior college close to you or does your company offer a class? Your mix on your stock may not be diversified enough. Also, you can still put money into an IRA yourself in addition to the 401K. If you can take a class you can get better and more professional retirement money advice than from an old lady runner on an internet forum!!
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:54 AM   #116  
Choose your hard

Ceejay - I agree with Tig on the company match part. Even with a Roth IRA you will still decide where to invest your money - although I admit to investing mine in a mutual fund that's been doing well. I am a nervous investor - spent 7 years in the financial industy - watched it boom in the early 80s and bust in 88 and again in the late 90s. So I can fully understand your apprehension about investing in stocks again. At one point I told DH we should just stuff it in a mattress - at least we weren't losing it. The stock market is finally starting to rebound a bit, although it is still shaky. You might want to check some local junior colleges or community education classes for a class on investment planning. Heck, we all know we won't have any social security checks to depend on and we're not getting raises so we have to save money for our old age somewhere. frustrating.

Linus as a cigarette junky myself, I hope you can dig deep and find the strength to just say to the smoking. There will always be a good excuse to grab a smoke and by sneaking them, even if it's only one or two a day, you are still giving yourself permission to smoke. I know, it's SO HARD, geez, I'm just one cigarette away from smoking again myself. In fact, we are joining a billiards league in February - more for DH to get out than anything else and I am very nervous about being in a smoky pool hall. A shame they come up with patches and Zyban and all those things and nothing really helps the overwhelming mental desire to have a smoke. They say that if you don't quit by the 4th week on Zyban, you're probably not going to be too successful. Cut a drinking straw in half and inhale on that when the urge hits you. I imagine it must be hard, CJ cries, you're sleep deprived and life is trying it's best to annoy you. I'm still pulling for you tho. You will quit when you are ready.

I find myself in a rather foul mood lately. Everything is bugging me. That usually happens when I have nothing to look forward to. So I guess I'm going to go hunting to find some joy in my life. I don't have to have things perfect but I do have a difficult time accepting that things are stupid and that's the way they are and you just have to deal with it. Argh.

Mel, I hope your tests went well and that they didn't keep you waiting at the docs for too long. Meadow, hopefully the new cable will improve things immensely. Make up a "thank you" bag of chocolate and brown sugar ham for the cable guys

Madcat, it is a talent of the truly special and truly few who can extract information from Subject Matter Experts who can either 1) yak incessantly for hours or 2) have a head full of information that they just can't put into words for us non-SMEs. Happy interviewing!

Ow Shad, now the pruning saw? This is not your month for tools - stay away from the really big stuff

I am getting off my game here - slacking on the food logging, exercise and water - and I've started back with too much TV time. First thing tomorrow that changes. No wonder I can't lose anything.

Ok, so what's with this funky site that keeps thinking I am not logged in? This is how you lose posts - but I know how to cut and paste... gotcha Internet germs.

Last edited by happy2bme; 01-26-2006 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:58 AM   #117  

Default Happy Birthday, Australia

Today is Australia Day here, another public holiday. I have been fairly busy and haven't seen the news so I don't know what went on around the country. No doubt there are fireworks on the river tonight too.

I've been plastering. I think I got all the bits. But I guess I will find out on Saturday when I paint. Tomorrow is sanding day and plastering the bits I missed on the walls. I jacked up the ceiling today and put a few more screws in it to ensure it will not fall down during dinner. Nothing worse than all that insulation floating around in your soup. Discovered that the builder has put nails in places that don't contain any wood! Had to get back up into the ceiling to find out that there is nothing there where 3 of the nails were.

More bad tools story - I can't get the edge trimmer to start. I will have to see if I can get DS2 around tomorrow to have a look. Otherwise I will have to take it to the Mower Place - and yes it is full of fuel!

Can't advise on superannuation Ceejay. Have no luck with the stock market myself and it seems neither does my superannuation invester! So I can't afford to retire. I will just have to keep working until I keel over. I have two superann accounts. This year they made some money. The last several years they have lost. I am very unamused by both joints. I should love to think about retirement.

Happy - I am so with you about getting off my game. I am so unmotivated about weight loss myself I feel like jacking it all in. Nothing is moving despite workouts and eating right. Sure I am healthy enough but the object of the whole thing was to move some of this flab and nothing is happening. After all 3kgs in two years is nothing to be excited about, even if I have managed to keep it off. I really feel disheartened about it. So much so, that I am inclined to think about fasting. If feeding the body properly isn't doing it, maybe a bit of abuse might just start something!

Anyway - to bed with me. I'm taking my stiff neck and aching shoulders to the shower and then to sleep. I must be getting old.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:36 AM   #118  
Choose your hard

Happy Birthday Australia!

Ooh Shad, nails where there is nothing to secure them? Are you tired of shaking your head at the things you find? - a mini head workout

Thinking of fasting are yah? I don't know. I just relate fasting to confusing the metabolism. Not sure I'm willing to go there. I confess to being at a loss as to what to recommend to you. You certainly are doing all the right things. Perhaps you should just take a pause for a bit. Eat healthy, watch portions, keep up your gym habit and stick to that cutting/mowing/hammering/sawing routine around the house. Don't even weight in for a month and see what happens. I can feel your frustration all the way here --- perhaps your "set point" is really SET.

Hope that a night's rest and a nice morning shower got you limber again. I'm off to indulge myself and then another fine day at the office
Old 01-26-2006, 09:13 AM   #119  

Is life all about one conflict resolution after another?
Major conflict resolution from Thurs-Mon with DH,an huge somewhat emotional meeting on Tues at the school to mediate a conflict, major trauma and drama with a 5yo girl I babysit with serious accusations about my dd.I investigated yesterday and got to the bottom of it all and it was a lie. A big hurtful lie about my daughter’s character. The conflict was well managed and resolved by all parents involved, but, man it uses up a lot of energy. Hours and hours of communication and dialogue and double checking the “story” it involved 3 teachers at the school, 3 5yo girls and their parents.
What will be todays conflict to resolve? YIKES!!!
My weight is the same. My body is so out of whack. Going to the DR today.
Spose that’s it!
HUGS!!
Hollyhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:16 AM   #120  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

Talking

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY!!!

SHAD~ I AM GOING TO ASK ABOUT FLATBREADS AND MATZOHS AND RICE CAKES. GOTTA HAVE SOME KIND OF SANDWICH MAKING INGREDIENTS! sO GLAD TO HEAR ABOUT THE DOORS AND NEW LOCKS. SORRY ABOUT THE TOOL PROBLEMS THOUGH. wERE THERE SPARKS FLYING WHEN YOU MOWED THE PRUNING SAW?! :yikes" THANK GOD YOU WEREN'T HURT! SOUNDS LIKE LIGHTS, ACTION, CAMERA OVER THERE NOW WITH THE ELECTRICIANS....CUTE? INVITE THEM IN!!!

PW~ IT WAS NICE TO READ GOOD NEWS ABOUT YOU THIS MORNING. GOOD FOR YOU WITH LOSSES AND GAINS!!! GREAT COMBINATION. POUNDS AND CLIENTS

HAPPY~I WAS ALSO GLAD YOU WERE ONLY IN THAT GOD FORSAKEN APT FOR 3 WEEKS. NOW YOU ARE HAPPILY ENSCONCED IN A LOVELY HOME. *YOU CAN FIND JOY IN THE LAND OF OZ! I AM OFF MY FEED ALSO. NOT A LOT BUT A BIT. TIME WE GOT DOWN TO BUSINESS AND DECIDED WHAT IS REALLY IMPORTANT TO US. IF WE CAN TAKE THE TIME OUT FOR OTHER'S NURTURING WE SHOULD BE DOING THAT FOR OURSELVES TOO!

CEEJAY~ CANNOT ADVISE ABOUT MONEY CAUSE ALL I KNOW HOW TO DO IS SPEND IT!! ON THE BREAD AND BSL....JUST REMEMBER THAT BREAD, PASTAS AND STARCHES ARE TURNED INTO MSUGAR BY THE BODY AND THUS STORED. MOST DIABETIC DIETS CALL FOR 1 SLICE OF BREAD. WITH THE IBS YOU MIGHT ALSO DO BETTER WITH WHOLE GRAIN. THEY SOMETIMES HAVE LESS SUGAR IN THEM AND MUCH MORE FIBER. GOTTA READ THE LABELS. GOOD LUCK!

LINUS~ MY DEAR FRIEND JUST STAY AS POSITIVE AS YOU CAN DURING THE 'QUITTING OF THE FAGS'. SOUNDS FUNN Y OVER HERE CAUSE FAGS DOESN'T MEAN THE SAME AND IS A HOMOSEXUAL SLUR. ANYWAY....I KNOW YOU CAN DO THIS. KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE PRIZE AND TALK TO YOURSELF. IT'S NOT EASY AND TAKES STRENGTH AND COURAGE. BE STRONG MY FRIEND. IF IT WAS EASY THE CIGGIE COMPANIES WOULD BE OUT OF BUSINESS AND CROWING WHEAT!!!

MEADOW~ NEW CABLES? NEW CABLE MEN? ARE THEY CUTIE PATOOTIES? I'LL BE RIGHT THERE
GLAD TO HEAR THAT SILENCE REIGNS FROM THE FREEZER. HAM IS ONE OF MY TRIGGER FOODS FOR 'LET'S SIT DOWN AND CHOW DOWN' NICE DAY YOU HAD....EYE CANDY AND HAMMIES!! YUM!!

YESTERDAY DID NOT GO WELL. THE BLOODWORK AND URINE WERE INSUFFICIENT FOR THIS DR TO PERFORM THE SCAN. HE SAID IT WOULD BE REMISS OF HIM TO INJECT ME AND FIND OUT MY BODY CANNOT GET RID OF THE "GLOW JUICE" PROPERLY. SO I WAS O TO BLOODWORK AND OTHER PLACES. THE BW PEOPLE WERE NICE ENOUGH TO TAKE ALL MY SAMPLES. KEPT ME FROM HAVING TO RUN FROM ONE BLDG TO ANOTHER AS WINTER HAS FINALLY COME ONCE AGAIN TO NJ. I THINK WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF OZ AS THE COLD WEATHER COMES AND GOES SO QUICKLY 'ROUND HERE. I WAS ALSO NOT TOLD "NO FOOD AFTER 12" SO I COULD NOT HAVE HAD IT ANYWAY. AND I WANT YOU TO KNOW I CALLED THE DAY BEFORE TO ASK AND TOLD THE DR SO!! IT WAS A COMEDY OF ERRORS YESTERDAY AND THE DR SAID "AREN'T YOU UPSET". WELL LIKE YEAH BUT WTF CAN I DO ABOUT IT ALL NOW. SO I HAPPILY TROTTED ME ARSE OUT OF THERE AND GOT ON WITH THE DAY. SEE? I'M LEARNING!
HAPPY THURSDAY/FRIDAY
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote