It may be hard to know if your fitness workouts are burning enough fat. If you are working out, you most certainly are burning fat, but when is it enough to lose weight? Research has shown that aerobic activity takes about 12 minutes to start burning fat. If you can increase your workout to 30 minutes or more, you will begin burning a larger percentage of calories from fat.
There is still some disagreement in the fitness community as to whether it is better to have a longer duration of exercise at a lower intensity, or a shorter duration at a higher intensity. If you have limited time, higher intensity can maximize your benefits in a shorter time, but if you can work out for longer at a lower intensity, you will lower your chance for injury.
If you are not losing the weight that you want, experts recommend doing 4 to 7 days of cardio workouts or other physical activities for 30 to 40 minutes per session.
Try these fat-burning activities to get the weight off if your current routine is not working for you:
- Step aerobics : burns up to 400 calories in 30 minutes
- Bicycling: burns 250 to 500 calories either with stationary or outdoor biking
- Swimming: full body and low impact workout that burns 400 calories in 30 minutes
- Running: great cardio workout that burns 300 calories in 30 minutes
- Walking: non strenuous and burns 180 calories in 30 minutes when done briskly
- Elliptical trainer: great for endurance building and burns 300 calories in 30 minutes
If you engage in these activities, for an adequate amount of time, your body is sure to burn fat, and help you reach your desired weight!