Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:24 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution April 2024 Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:

The Complete Beck Diet for Life
and the first book
The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.

The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.

This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If youve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 07:26 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - April Fools' Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - We had a late lunch with the (4 yo) DFGD, DS, DIL, and her parents. DIL had chosen a great Chinese restaurant with superb food. The seven of us sat around a large round table - like knights at the round table. Don't know how they stay in business because there were few other customers. That was good for us because we could hear each other even while sitting at a distance and, best of all, Little Bit ran around a bit in our wing of the place where there were no other customers. The DFGD is still young enough that sitting between her parents works best to keep her occupied and eating something.

Food was too much. I do well when I eat what I order. Here, we passed plates of food around. DIL ordered for the table being super inclusive making sure that she chose everything that had been suggested. One of the ways that I control restaurant eating is to avoid appetizers and desserts. Appetizers of crab langoons and spicy chicken wings both passed around. From the dim sum menu came soup dumplings with pork. Soup dumplings are interesting because they must be eaten from a spoon since the soup leaks out when the dumpling is bitten. A juggling act even using the large, ceramic spoons supplied. All that was starters. At least six dishes followed. CREDIT moi for only eating too much instead of stuffing myself.

Difficult for me was writing an email to a friend to let him know that the Sunday Boston Globe reviewed a book about Isabella Stewart Gardner of the museum fame. 512 pages is more Isabella than I care to know, but he will be interested. I always hesitate not being sure someone needs to be interrupted with my notion of something that might interest them. He was glad to know about it; will certainly read the review.

Silverbirch - Happy Easter Monday on British Summer Time. Like a serious beginning of Spring. Continue to be inspired that your decluttering always includes some shredding.

maryann Good luck executing your Easter around ice and roads requiring chains. Restaurant prices still catch me by surprise. When we got home yesterday, DW tried to guess what I had paid for lunch for the table. She guessed exactly half of what I paid after tax and generous tip. Do hope that the Antarctica Cruise becomes a reality.

curlyjax - A planned lunch at Panera with a bearded orthodox priest in long black robe and gold bling sounds like the beginning of a fantasy novel. Yes, oil changes are necessary even for young adults with many other things on their minds.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 1 The Key to Success

People who struggle with weight loss have a mindset that sabotages their efforts. For example, they often have such thoughts as: . . .
  • I can't resist this food.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 18.
Old 04-01-2024, 12:31 PM   #3  
Green Tomatoes

I made some bad food choices on Saturday, largely a kind of entitlement that we weren't really celebrating Easter, even in small ways because DH's tummy remains tricky. CREDIT for turning it around yesterday when I realized that's what was going on.

CREDIT for meeting my exercise goal in March, in spite of a very slowly healing issues in my back muscles. I feel fortunate that it never hurt when I walked or when I did lower body workouts. I'll get back to full body workouts, eventually.

Exercise: 35, 1815/1800 minutes for March
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM   #4  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Easter Monday

Reasonable weather (mild, light wind, bits of sunshine) encouraged me to be outside most of the day. I walked to the shops and I worked in the garden. Its so lovely having a greenhouse. There are indications of potential challenges (a rodent hole, for example, and slug and snail trails) but I can see some of the plants in pots growing by the day! I ate too much cereal for breakfast, unfortunately, which meant that if I bent down I got indigestion. That hasnt been great. The idea over the last few days has been to eat a little more at breakfast to avoid wanting a snack mid-morning. Its been going so well too!

Bill, Im big on shredding any paper thats not shiny or very coloured as I use it in my composting system (hot bin and other bins). Its also very satisfying. Definitely credit for only eating a lot at the Chinese restaurant! I find it hard when everyone shares too. I seem to be eating more slowly as I get older, though, and that seems to help.

Quote:
I always hesitate not being sure someone needs to be interrupted with my notion of something that might interest them.
I do too, when it might either be of interest or of use to them. I offer you sight of this hasty recent reply from the DD recently:

Quote:
I know this - have already done it
OK

gardenerjoy, oh yes, credit for turning bad food choices round. Backs are so tricky. Credit for accepting yours will take time. You shall go to the full body workout ball!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 07:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Another Holiday went south. My eating was completely reasonable and I did not touch the Mac and Cheese. But Dh and I had a huge fight afterward. I refused to come home and drove right back up to Truckee. I woke this morning with a gaping disappointment over lost holidays. I almost never had conflict free or non chaotic holidays as a little girl and now rarely as an adult. I am so confused. Am I replicating my past or is DH really being ridiculous with his negativity and surly silence. I have never acted that way around his family. Sigh. the black dog has been at my heels all day but I did force myself to go out and ski. It was a bluebird event and I treated myself to the one sit down restaurant at high camp ( ski in and out.) I had a delish salad, creamy chicken soup and homemade soup. I am closing the kitchen at 5:00. So credit for staying in the solution.

I am going to cross country tomorrow and then maybe head down to talk with DH but i am still so angry. I don't know. Long term marriages are tricky. I could still be mad at having to canel the dinner with my friends when he threatened to punch a loos cannon kid of our friends if the boy spontaneously showed up and walked into the house. Now DH has never hit anyone in his life but how am I suppose to process that info. The point being is how to move pass these events. I know food won't help especially as I am at the top of my barely able to snap my pants weight.

JOY: may your back and my neck be healed this new April and Silverbirch enjoy the green house.

maryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 06:01 AM   #6  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Stanley Kubrick's "2001 A Space Odyssey" premieres (1968)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, to get a haircut. She had comment about how long my hair had grown since last visit. The joy of using the same hair person for decades is that you're family. The pain is that family comments on failures, such as dawdling about getting one's hair cut. The temps were brisk for a walk, but that encouraged picking up the speed to make it more useful. Felt embarrassed that a man passed me walking faster even though he was clearly younger.

The (8 yo) DGD posted a picture of herself with dyed blond hair on the parentally controlled Facebook page she's allowed to use, saying, "My parents let me do it." I was aghast. Finally figured out that it was an April Fools' prank. I have to adjust that she's old enough to be facile with a computer. I'll have to find out on Wednesday if she was wearing a wig or using a photo editing program. I'm not ready for my granddaughter to be better on the computer than I am.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Did have an evening snack. Dinner was a stew made with lots of veggies and some chicken thighs. The recipe came from Nutrition Action magazine a long time ago. It's a favorite for nights with cold weather that need warmth. Last time we had it my serving contained a whole chicken thigh. This time the chicken was in chunks. "You deboned it?" I asked. "Bought it that way. My deboning days are over." Apparently a cook can get tired of deboning chicken.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for exceeding your March exercise goal despite a month of difficult weather. So encouraging to hear of eating getting turned around.

Silverbirch - I can imagine a greenhouse being a real treat - even if it has to be shared with more wildlife than desired. LOL at your DD's terse response; how dare you tell me something that I already know.

maryann Totally agree, "Long term marriages are tricky." As well as "The point being is how to move pass these events." When you get a clue, write a book and I'll buy the first copy.

Readers -
Quote:

People who struggle with weight loss have a mindset that sabotages their efforts. For example, they often have such thoughts as: . . .
  • I'm upset. I have to eat.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

My day got away from me yesterday. Easter wasn't great but at least I didn't over eat candy and I have lovely turkey breast leftover. Yesterday morning the exterminator came yet again, and offered up another idea of what to do. This company has been fabulous I must say. I zipped off to work after that and had a busy day. A few staff were out so there were different hats to juggle which was fun. I broke down and had some meatballs at work which smelled so good, but ate my salad for dinner later, and only had one hard candy, so I call that a win. On the way home I stopped at a local park and chatted with DS on the phone. He has found an apt with friends to live in and thought he had found a job, but it turned out to be a dud. I'm so happy about the apt anyhow as he wants to be out on his own.Afterwards I assembled salads for the week complete with an orange juice vinaigrette and sauteed some kale with garlic for dinner as well as spinach for DD. I also tried bathing some berries in vinegar water and then put them in glass jars to see if they last longer. Another glass experiment!
Maryann-I'm sorry about the holiday. Long term marriages are indeed challenging. Would he be open to counseling? Is this a change in his behavior or a longtime issue? I think holidays bring up a lot of stuff for many people. Big credit for not over eating.
Silverbirch-I'm so glad you have the greenhouse, it sounds so wonderful.
Bill-too funny about DGD, she is going to get up to so many tricks. I'm with DW, I don't like cutting up chicken.
Gardenerjoy- credit for turning around the eating. Its hard to not over indulge on a holiday date when you know everyone else is.
curlyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 11:04 AM   #8  

Good Morning, Coaches.

This morning I woke up with a favorite meditation in my head: "grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console, to be understood as to understand, to be loved as to love."

So I called DH even though I was determined to wait until he called me. I know from years of counseling that he is punishing himself and won't call for fear of doing the wrong thing. He was severally abused by an older brother growing up and he constantly has to reprogram his subconscious survival mechanisms of enforced paralysis. Unfortunately, my survival mechanism is to spiral emotionally at the first hint of abandonment. Often our marriage is like a circus act. My heart went out to hear the pain and fear in his voice. So I told my "mature" self and not my "little girl" self: He is replacing fifty windows in the river house for me. I can walk him through a reconciliation.

What are those Buddhist's puzzle called? I looked it up - "koans." Puzzles that must be worked but never solved. My two koans are my relationship with food and my relationship with my husband. Am I making measurable progress even though my weight stays high and my marriage requires constant tending? Here is what I know: When uncomfortable I tend to think I am doing something wrong. The truth is when I am uncomfortable I am often doing something right. So for today: I will cross country and still be the heaviest woman on the slope. It brings joy and peace. I will focus on being the change in my marriage I want. I will not eat through my discomfort.

BBE: Hold on to your horses as DGD makes her journey through the perils of social media. The trick is to continually be open with her about her experiments.
Curly: I was just thinking how pleased you will be in a condo which will never require pest control.
Silverbirch: I love the idea of "walking to town." It looks like that will never be a reality in my life. Enjoy it.
Old 04-02-2024, 12:02 PM   #9  
Green Tomatoes

We had severe storms overnight. Most went north or south of us, but we did get some hail that sounded very large around midnight. I didn't get up to look at the size since it already felt like I wasn't getting enough sleep. The tornado siren only went off once, before bedtime, and that storm went north of us. Not my best night of sleep!

That means that I want to be cautious about using food to boost my energy or my mood. I have other options that work better -- take a walk to see if any branches fell in the neighborhood, read a book, watch the new video by my favorite film commentator on YouTube, play a game.

For distractions, we have someone coming by to give an estimate on roof repair or replacement and it's election day and there are books ready for me to pick up at the library.

Exercise: 60, 60/1800 minutes for April
Old 04-02-2024, 03:17 PM   #10  
in development

Default Tuesday

The main event today was going to my new gymn. I was alone for the first half hour and was then joined by another athlete, aged between 8 and 10, and his little sister athlete aged about 3. The boy had half an hour of serious coaching. The girl did some great work with her dad, in and out of the coloured cones theyd carefully laid out, some running and excellent detailed physics work on the sliding seats on the rowers. All pretty much freestyle. I got on with my workout which is on an app. We all had a good time. More rain this afternoon so I worked on bits of paperwork that have been pending for a while and rectified a few small things around the house. Things are coming together, little by little. Food has been OK except that I bought a smallish bag of boiled sweets to help my tummy yesterday. Ive been eating them all day, probably to keep myself going after a hard session at the gymn. If I hadnt got them Id probably have had a sleep. Interesting.

Bill, I dont really understand how it is that younger people walk more quickly than me. Or that they run more quickly either. Both things are a mystery and have been for some time. Hilarious that your DGD fooled you. It's clearly time to increase your alertness around her!

curlyjax, your food is sounding good. Credit for moving the salad to later on after youd decided on meatballs for lunch.

maryann, much credit for being so willing to learn, develop and take action.

gardenerjoy, I do hope you have a better night tonight. Thats a nice list of options and distractions.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:02 AM   #11  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - First one-person show of the paintings of Georgia O'Keeffe (1917)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The supermarket did not have stacks of discount Easter candy. I'm grateful for that. The store where I shop is one of the smallest of its chain so I suspect that the BOGO Easter candy all got shipped to one of their larger stores. The lettuce was long-dated; the Red Bell Peppers dark red and firm. An easy to make me happy outing.

Class on AI generated images blew me away. OpenAI's app, Sora, creates video scenes from text. Gotta read that again: video from text! This link takes you to several examples, including a video made from the Prompt:
Quote:
A stylish woman walks down a Tokyo street filled with warm glowing neon and animated city signage. She wears a black leather jacket, a long red dress, and black boots, and carries a black purse. She wears sunglasses and red lipstick. She walks confidently and casually. The street is damp and reflective, creating a mirror effect of the colorful lights. Many pedestrians walk about.
Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with evening snacks. No excuse for the snacks; they seem to want to move in and start to live here.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - I do know that walk taken to see what tree limbs are down. The news that leaks all the way to the East Coast says that Saint Louis County defeated all the take-over-the-system school board candidates; Congrats.

Silverbirch - Such a happy notion to be encouraged on by a three-year-old athlete. Am delighted to add boiled sweets to my vocabulary.

maryann Exactly! Comparing a marital relationship to a Buddhist koan - "must be worked but never solved." Such an encouraging thought, "I will focus on being the change in my marriage I want."

curlyjax - You've got me cheering for the exterminator just as if I was watching a David Attenborough video about wildlife. Wish your DS well finding a job in the current market.

Readers -
Quote:

• I ate something I shouldn't. I may as well blow my diet for the rest of the day..
Old 04-03-2024, 07:13 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

My colleague and I got into some giggle fits during our zoom webinar and we both had to hide off camera briefly. The webinar is so boring and slow moving at times. I was much more focused on arranging things for the scavenger hunt/bridal shower next week. I ate my salad then went to my 5 week hip check up. The xray looked good and the NP didn't have much to say other than it was okay to start gentle weight lifting, and I should avoid baths/pools etc for a few more weeks. At home I had a good snuggle session with DD and ate odds and ends for dinner, including a chocolate bunny which was 400 calories, oops. I noticed David Sedaris is coming to Boston next week and I nabbed some tickets for manfriend and myself to see him-manfriend loves comedy and he will drive. I'm so excited, i've never seen him in person.
I have woken up too early today ugh so i'll really have to watch the food. But it occurred to me I could do somethings early like drop off my real estate tax payments and get rid of some smelly garbage, so that will work out. Today would be a good day for a filling egg breakfast.
Maryann-you have written some beautiful wise words today. I love that meditation. I will follow your ideas in maneuvering a challenging relationship situation with my own life as DD and I are like oil and water sometimes.
Gardenerjoy-goodness that weather sounds scary!
Silverbirch-that sounds like a fun workout, to have those little kiddos to watch. Yay for things coming together.
Bill-that AI stuff is kind of scary and amazing at the same time.
curlyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 11:27 AM   #13  

Good morning, Coaches.

I woke this morning with a realization that I totally over reacted on Sunday. I had focused on the moments where DH was not helpful instead of seeing how much of an improvement he has made. When I posted that meditation yesterday, it must have manifested into my morning epiphany. I called DH at work to apologize. It is not easy to admit I was a horse's a#$. I had to stop myself from rationalizing ( Yeah, but you always . . . ) I just closed my mouth and sat uncomfortably while he processed. Food is 3 pounds in Area 54 decade - alien and undesirable. Getting out of the zone is my focus for today. I have a neck massage at 10 and if that doesn't help I need to make a doctor's appt. I am not sleeping because of the pain.

I am still working my way through smoothie fixings and will make a big kale salad for lunch. I am turning the rest of the rotisserie chicken into white bean chili. I cooked up some persimmon bread from the frozen fruit I froze last summer. I am well on my way to using up the last of the old freezer stuff this month. I have a little dream of spending no more than $200 this month on food with a focus on healthy. That Antartica cruise is not going to pay for itself.

Oooh. Excitement is 50 windows are now in the river house. I am going to look at them this afternoon.

Silverbirch: I wish I could join you and your fellow athletes. I need to have some three year olds around me since that is apparently how i am behaving.
Curly: Glad the hip is mending well.
Joy: I have started watching History Channel "Alone". They had a huge gale and were witnessing trees toppling over. I rather tour the branches down.
BBE: That AI class is a trip. I didn't know about the scenes.

Last edited by maryann; 04-03-2024 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:47 PM   #14  
Green Tomatoes

I successfully distracted myself away from excess food yesterday. CREDIT! At some moments, that took playing puzzle games on my computer, but I can live with that.

We're back to cold rainy weather. My indoor exercise has been a little lackluster, recently -- mostly moving while watching a random YouTube video. That's better than nothing, of course, but I work out with more intensity if I follow along with an exercise YouTube video, so that's the plan for today.

Exercise: 40, 100/1800 minutes for April
Old 04-03-2024, 03:20 PM   #15  
in development

Default Wednesday

I had a blinding insight about getting indigestion when bending or kneeling down. I measured the band of my bras (the same size but different brands) and there is a difference of 2.5” between the tightest and the loosest. It doesn’t take a genius to see that the tighter ones are not going to be comfortable if/when my body swells a little, either normally towards the end of the day or if I’m full of wind. Luckily, one of the by appointment to Silverbirch bra shops is in the town so I walked over, discussed the situation with the lady and bought a new one. Let’s see how things go but I’m feeling confident that this will get rid of some of the discomfort.

A nice afternoon in the garden working on how to distribute the grass cuttings between the compost bins, each of which works slightly differently, and starting to clear a few beds for productive use. Then fish and chips for tea as the SO didn’t get going on cooking until too late. There’s a very good chip shop nearby so he just placed the order and, yes, walked round to pick it up.

I also sorted out one of those C21st problems. A financial company I deal with (pension and motor insurance) wasn’t playing ball with me online. The problem was that someone had run my first name and middle name together (for example, not Emmeline Gertrude Smith but Emmelinegertrude Smith) and this confused everything. It's now cleared up and they can continue to charge me large amounts for car insurance which pleases them rather more than it pleases me.

Sleep was all right but could have been better. Food has been all right but finishing off the bag of boiled sweets was sub-optimal behaviour. Exercise has been good: walking and gardening.

Bill, credit for choosing a small supermarket without BOGO Easter candy in 2024. A win! Thanks for despatches from the AI class. They flesh out my meagre knowledge so I can listen carefully (I hesitate to say ‘intelligently’) to the SO when he’s talking about job applications.

curlyjax, it's always great to hear you reporting giggling sessions! How long is this webinar going on for? You seem to have been doing it for ages.

maryann, I'm sorry to hear you’re not sleeping because of the pain in your neck. That has to be affecting how you’re feeling in other areas of life (I speak as someone who’s wedded to the concept of large amounts of sleep as essential to sane functioning). I hear what you're saying about behaving like a three year old but there are some great things about that age that perhaps you're not doing. Hopping is very good. Also sitting quietly doing the same restful and repetitive thing over and over again, possibly humming or singing. Running and flinging your arms out. PerhapsBill's DFGD could run a course for us all.

gardenerjoy, I’ve just looked at your weather forecast and it’s all over the place! 48F today and 78F on Monday? Whether this happens or not, cold and rainy isn’t nice for spring. A YouTube exercise video sounds just right to keep the blood flowing.

Last edited by silverbirch; 04-04-2024 at 07:30 AM.