Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #31  

lydia Adjusting to move house is always such a big upheaval! I guess it's historical..I bet the roman matrons had qualms about moving vesta, the home fire to a different location, because it was their sole responsibility to keep her happy and ensure a happy safe home for the family.

How wonderful about your phone! And it really should not be a big thing to be unvailable 2 hrs each day...you can check missed calls and read text messages at your convenience.

Welcome back Shannon! Glad you had such a great vacay. I keep reminding myself to check out the yoga podcasts, they sound like just what I need to do.

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #32  

Just popping in to say Good Afternoon to everyone! I had a very emotional morning trying on two dresses. The first one I bought a year ago to replace the too small for me dress I bought over two years ago. Well the first one was enormous on me, so big, I couldn't wear in public because I'd be half flashing everyone. The second one I can't believe I just slipped it on and zipped it up, no sucking in, or anything! It's been over two years since I could wear that dress.

I cried for about 20 minutes.
redsox33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #33  
Workin' It

Redsox, that is fantastic!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #34  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Lydia - moving is always tough and I can certainly understand your frustration!

Redsox - That is great Congratulations.

So I'm back from my Crossfit Appointment. We talked a while, he had me do what he called the Crossfit Baseline: 500m row, 40 squats, 30 situps, 20 pushups, 10 pullups. My pushups and pullups were heavily modified Oh my, he tried to have me do a pullup with my foot in a band and with my other foot crossed over. The bar is 10 feet off the ground. Scared the **** out of me. I couldn't do it so he had it so he put a bar in a band and had me pull the bar down. My time for my version was 11:15. He said that was very good.

Anyway, I loved it, he said I'd be a good fit but it is major $$$. Like $$$. They have a 2x/week option which is what I think I'd take BUT it is $145/month for a 12 month contract or $175 month to month I'm going to talk to my husband and if I am interested, we'll go watch a class and I'll ask to see if he'll negotiate the price.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #35  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Nelie,
Congrats! I was thinking about you when I was walking the pooches after work.
I had no idea crossfit is to pricey. I actually did look up a crossfit gym that is not that far from me (although not nearly as conveniently located as my current gym) and it actually looks like it more of personal training style of a gym (unless I am mixing up different places - this has been a while). There was no indication of price on the website.

Mel,
Question for you The Gardening Guru. Would you transplant peonies? I have one bush that is way too to a Waterfall Japanese maple and since the maple is not very tall and the peonies are quite substantial, there is some fight over space (well not yet but soon there will be once everything grows up another few inches).
Also, isn't it soon for hosta-eating slugs to be around? I have a hosta that seems to have some kind of disease, it's all kinda curled up and has holes that looks like something was munching on it. Darn! I think it's Stained Glass and I got it only last year. I had big hopes for it.

P.S.
Red Sock,
Congrats on the dress!

Last edited by Tomato; 05-06-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #36  
Just Me

Alena - Crossfit's are class/personal training based so you have a couple instructors and smallish classes.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:36 AM   #37  
Mel

Nelie Sounds like you did a great job and enjoyed it. That's more that I pay....but you live in a more expensive area. There is an Xfit in King of Prussia about 10 miles from me with similar rates. For me, it is well worth it. Even if you do 2 times a week or every other month, you will take away knowledge of a completely different style of training. The effect on my body, internally and externally has been dramatic (too long to post right now), and that is after training for 8 years.

Lydia- you need a hug too Really- cut yourself some slack. Moving is super stressful, you are almost acting as a single mom, and you are leaving Columbus which has been HOME. Your family is there and you've created a wonderful life there. I think you have a perfect right to be angry even tho it may not be directed at dh or any particular target. YOUR life is being massively disrupted and changed. But I think I know you well enough to predict that you will thrive anywhere and create a new home and life.

RedSox- Congratulations! That can be emotional. I'm so happy for you.

Alena, rabbit, Shannon, Birch, the missing Cheryl, and everyone else!

I lifted late last night...well, late for me, and couldn't face cardio only 9 hours later. I did 10 minute abs this morning and will do
"Elizabeth" tonight:
Quote:
"Elizabeth"

21 - 15 - 9 Rep rounds of:

Cleans (95, 135)

Ring Dips

For Time!

Finish with,

40 Reverse Hyperextensions

You recieve the bar in a "full Squat" position for the Cleans.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:41 AM   #38  
Just Me

Mel - I agree it would be good and I actually sent an email saying it was a little more than I was thinking and wondering if he could drop the price a little. He hasn't responded, I don't know if that is a good sign or a bad sign!
Old 05-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #39  

Good Afternoon Ladies! Thank you all for the incredibly kind works of congratulations.

My back really hurts. I didn't do anything to it, it's just slowly increased in pain and feels like it's on the verge of a spasm. :O(

I hope everyone is doing well today!
Old 05-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #40  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Ice it, RedSox, but not directly on the skin. Have you got a bag of frozen peas?
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #41  

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Ice it, RedSox, but not directly on the skin. Have you got a bag of frozen peas?
Yes... well, peas and carrots, and that's what I've been doing off and on all afternoon. Thank you for the suggestion Silverbirch, that's very kind of you! It's really not giving me any relief though :O(

We have tickets to the theater (I've always wanted to say that with a pompous accent!) for tomorrow night and I just don't know how I'm going to sit in one position for an extended period of time. I have not been to the theater in oh, probably 15 years, so this should be an interesting experience.

What are all of your plans for the weekend?
Old 05-08-2010, 02:26 AM   #42  

Hi all,

Sox - ouch on the back! If it's more like a cramp maybe a hot water bottle can ease it a little? Or some careful yoga? Altough I hope it is over by now!

Mel - that is really interesting that crossfit did you so much good even after 8 yrs of lifting!

Nelie - like Mel said, you could maybe see the cost as a tutors fee and work on from the web wod's once you have mastered the basic moves

Birch hi! How is the work stress going re: proposal? and what are TBs D&V's ?

Lydia - Go Rest This Minute!!! Take a 3 minute meditation...(deep & restful voice) "everything is OK just right now". My favorite part of one of Kabat-Zin"s mindful meditations is the part where after telling us to lay down in a relaxed position, he goes on " and notice now... that you ARE breathing". In all the stress and chaos going on...you have at least this one accomplishment! But seriously... there is a bit of an adventure there, a new world to explore, new gyms to check out, new runs & walks & trails waiting for you to find them. How's the foot holding up BTW?

I'm in for a weekend of yoga, stretching, housecleaning cardio, laundry cardio and gardening cardio. I've worked too much last week (became engrossed in a fascinating but difficult little piece of research, and only got the AHA effect friday afternoon at 1600) so I'm stiff & cranped at the shoulders. Weather is bad sofar, cold & rainy, so I'll start out with experimenting with DIY foam rolling and with the housecleaning. OR with some shopping cardio... I need some new running shoes.

Have a great weekend all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #43  
Mel

Ugh, every inch of me is sore and tired and the mulch truck just dumped 3 more yards of mulch in my drive way. This should be the end, tho!

I'm too sore and tired to go to the regular Xfit, so I'll go to the yoga/pilates class this morning. And mulch

Redsox, how is your back?

rabbit- the type of training is just SO different. The biggest change other than the way I look, is that for the first time in 4 years of medication, I've increased my bone mass by 6.6% over the course of the last year in my lumbar spine and hips. That is a HUGE increase and puts me back in the"normal" range rather than in the osteopenia range. Traditional lifting just doesn't do that no matter what we tell people. Maybe I would have lost more bone mass if I hadn't been lifting, but I'm convinced that it is the Olympic lifts and the jumps that caused bone mass to INCREASE.
Plus, I can get back into my size 4p and 2's. Ah, vanity.

Hope all the moms have a restful weekend.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #44  
Just Me

Well, I'm pretty much decided I want to join CF even if it is expensive BUT... I emailed the guy asking if the price was negotiable because it was a little higher than expected and he hasn't emailed me back. Which I think means one of 2 things.

1) He is thinking about it or...
2) He only wants to cater to those who wouldn't ask if the price is negotiable. This actually happens a bit in this area (from what I've heard). You set the price high enough and you only attract certain clients. He also used to work at another CF that is further away but also happens to be one of the most expensive cities to live in the country.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking things because I think he would've responded fairly quickly if it wasn't negotiable and wanted to let me know that.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #45  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

Hi guys! I hope everyone is doing well today.

Nelie, I don't know how long it's been since you emailed, but I think that it's possible that he's either thinking about it or thinking about the most diplomatic way to say it's non-negotiable. I work at a school of music and we often get requests for discounts or alternate payment methods. Pam and Mike have built some set responses over the last year, but before that it took them a while to respond to the requests because they wanted to stand their ground, but not lose a potential customer because of a perceived attitude in the text. The other thing is that some emails fall through the cracks. They shouldn't, and we are always embarrassed when it happens, but it does. If he doesn't email back soon, I'd call and ask. They have to give you an answer when the convo is happening IRT.

4rabbit--I've got the house cleaning and laundry cardio to look forward to this weekend. Plus the repotting plants cardio.

Mel--awesome bone mass gain!

I have a few questions for you guys. I'm facing my second workout from the New Rules of Lifting for Women book. I loved my first workout. I was sweating and breathing hard, my heart rate was up, and I wasn't bored like I am in cardio sessions. But I have awful DOMS going on. I don't feel much more than discomfort the day after. By the time I'm going to bed I start to feel it, and then the 2nd and 3rd day after is when the real soreness starts. I make faces when I sit in a chair and then when I stand up in that chair. I wanted to do my second workout yesterday (48 hours after the first), but I just couldn't see doing that level of work when I could still barely sit without making wounded animal noises. I love having muscle soreness because I feel like it gives me a sign that I'm working things right, but I'd like to be able to do a workout 48 hours later. Any suggestions? Is there something I can do to shorten the muscle soreness period, or should I have gone ahead and done the workout with sore muscles? Reading online gives you about 800 different opinions on the topics from experts and amateurs alike.

Also, has anyone done the new rules workouts? In Stage I, I feel like it doesn't really work the arms at all. Would it be silly to add in a day of just arm workouts during stage one and then see what stage two brings?
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote