Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #1  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Default Clip on weights?

I have a couple exercises in the gym I am just stuck between the 15 and the 20 and really need 17 or 18. I can't make the jump. I've tried going up in reps on the low weight and trying again, I've tried drop sets, I've tried small range, I've tried varying the angle of attack on the muscle group. Short of totally breaking form, I think I really just need 17 or 18!

I've seen magnetic 1-2 lb weights for dumbells but our weights have a thick curved rubber end and I dont think the magnets will stick.

Are there any that you can clip to the handle or over the end of a dumbbell?
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #2  
Roly-Poly Jock Girl

S/C/G: 342/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I haven't seen anything like that. Maybe you could try wearing 2-3 lb wrist weights for added resistance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
I have a couple exercises in the gym I am just stuck between the 15 and the 20 and really need 17 or 18. I can't make the jump. I've tried going up in reps on the low weight and trying again, I've tried drop sets, I've tried small range, I've tried varying the angle of attack on the muscle group. Short of totally breaking form, I think I really just need 17 or 18!

I've seen magnetic 1-2 lb weights for dumbells but our weights have a thick curved rubber end and I dont think the magnets will stick.

Are there any that you can clip to the handle or over the end of a dumbbell?
BluCypressLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #3  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

The ones you have seen at the gym are called Platemates, and are pretty expensive for what they are. I asked my very handy Hubby if he could make me a set and he said getting a good, big magnet, strong enough not to slide off in use would me just as expensive as buying the Platemates. http://www.theplatemate.com/products.htm
ETA: I didn't realize they used three smaller magnets to hold on the hex weights. I was thinking big round 'hole in the middle' weights from speakers.

I use 1.5 lb donut wrist weights, or weighted gloves, both of which work fine.

Last edited by patchworkpenguin; 05-27-2010 at 03:22 PM.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #4  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Would it hurt your hands too much to hold the 15 and a 2 or 3 lber together??
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #5  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

ennay,
no clue about the clip-on weights but perhaps you can try the weighted gloves like what people use for Turbo Jam etc. I saw them at Home Sense so I am guessing that maybe Target or TJ Maxx may have them. Oodles of them on eBay, such as these.
A slightly different model here.

Prices vary wildly so research carefully.

Last edited by Tomato; 05-27-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddc View Post
Would it hurt your hands too much to hold the 15 and a 2 or 3 lber together??
yeah, I have tried, I have tiny hands and a weak grip as it is. I'll look for wrist weights or weighted gloves.

I was looking for something to suggest that the gym buys themselves so I didnt have to haul it around. I know I am not the only one who struggles from 15-20. Its the only time you have to do a 33% jump. The platemates wont work on the weights at our gym because of the rubberized ends and they are the only thing I have found.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

This is why I love my Bowflex dumbbells and why a lot of gyms have 2.5lb increments instead! 15 > 20 is a large jump, especially for upper body exercises.

For barbells, the jump is easy (washer plates at 1.25lb or 2.5lb), for dumbbells, not so easy. As ridiculous as it may look, I know some people put 1.25lb weighed "sacks" of sand or ankle weights onto the handle of the dumbbell. Aside from that, I'm not sure what else you could do.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

No answer either. My gym has similar DBs but there is a 17.5# one in there. But after 20# they go up by 5# Grrr.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Maybe I should just buy a set of 17.5's and donate them. :P
Old 05-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #10  
Mel

What exercises are you trying to do? I've held a weight and a band which I hold down with my foot or tie to the bottom of a squat rack and it makes a lighter weight a LOT harder to use.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Bicep mostly. Bicep annoys me. I can stop lifting weights for 4 years and I start at 15. I can lift weights religiously and I stay at 15. I'll probably do it on the cable machine for awhile where I have more options.

It's just always the biggest jump though and I see a lot of people get stuck there. For whatever exercise they happen to use 15 for. My friend cant get past 15 on dumbbell presses. I keep trying to move her over to another chest exercise but she is tough to shake out of her routine to do different things.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:32 AM   #12  
Mel

ennay- the bands with a weight work really well for biceps, triceps and seated shoulder work. Or do the weight that you can do, then do a burnout set with bands only- you'll get stronger quicker and be able to move up. Agreed- a 5 pound increment is HUGE for women.

Or do what I do and forget about doing isolation work. Do enough pull ups with different grips and push ups of various sorts, close grip bench presses, dips (try ring dips...just try!) and you'll never do another bicep curl or dumbbell kick back. You can engage your whole body and get a great arms shoulder and back workout.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #13  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Oh yeah, I do all the rest of that (well except bands and rings because our gym doesnt have either) I usually end my workout with one isolation exercise. Its just become a nagging THING to do a decent set at 20. I mean seriously. How can I be this much stronger everywhere else and my biceps are so wimpy.

Of course today was one of those days where I couldnt even do a decent set @ 15. NOT a strong day.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:28 PM   #14  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Ennay, if they won't freak, take two strips of athletic tape and tape a 2 pound db handle-to-handle with the 15. If the ends line up, so the handle of the 2 pounder is not in your way, you can then grip the 15 as normal and voila, 17 lbs. Otherwise, you could buy some big flat washers from the hardware store or foist some .5 kilo plates and tape them onto the ends of the dbs. With the rubber, you'll have to experiment with what tape doesn't leave glue behind. Just for the record, I second what Mel says about the iso work not being necessary, but I know it's pretty common practice, and sometimes just plain fun to do, so I hope you can figure a solution.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote