Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 08:03 AM   #1  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Default SUGAR BUSTERS APRIL/MAY/JUNE 2002 SECOND QUARTER RECIPE BOARDS

This is the SUGAR BUSTERS APRIL/MAY/JUNE 2002, SECOND QUARTER RECIPE BOARD

When posting a recipe, please make sure all ingredients are SB LEGAL. If there are any ingredients that are NOT SB LEGAL, please post a note with an alternate ingredient that may be substituted in it's place.

If you would like to view any of the old recipe boards, please click on any one of the links below, and they will take you directly to that particular board:

JANUARY/FEBRUARY/MARCH 2002 FIRST QUARTER RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=12046

DECEMBER 2001 RECIPE BAORD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...839#post133441

NOVEMBER 2001 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...threadid=10560

OCTOBER 2001 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=9786

SEPTEMBER 2001 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=9038

AUGUST 2001 RECIPE BOARD:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=7953

JULY 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=6987

JANUARY-JUNE 2001 RECIPE BOARDS:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=13439

YEAR 2000 RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=12700

If you find a bad link to any of the recipe boards, please take a moment to let me know so I can fix the problem. THANKS!

Old 03-28-2002, 12:32 PM   #2  

Default Easy Asparagus

This is an easy and quick side dish to make.

1 bunch of fresh asparagus, cleaned
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp of olive oil
1 tsp of butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter with the olive oil. Throw in the asparagus. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until desired doneness. I like to leave mine really crunchy, really just heated through. Pour in the lemon juice. Saute about 20 seconds longer. Eat and enjoy.

You can vary the seasonings if you like, adding garlic or fresh herbs. I like to add some cajun seasonings.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:34 AM   #3  

Stone Ground Whole Wheat Bread For The Bread Machine

Recipe By : Sweet Talk Board
Serving Size : 24
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 Cup Water
1/4 Cup Old Fashioned Oatmeal

3 3/4 Cups Stone Ground Whole Wheat Flour
3 Tablespoons Vital Wheat Gluten
1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
4 Tablespoons Splenda
1/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts
1/4 Cup Sunflower Seeds

1 1/2 Cups Milk -- Warmed
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Package Active Dry Yeast

Put the oatmeal into the 1/2 cup of water and set aside.

In a bowl, place all the dry ingredients (flour, wheat gluten, salt, Splenda, walnuts, sunflower seeds). Mix together.

In the bread container, put in the milk and olive oil. Add the soaked oatmeal then the dry ingredients. Make a little well in the flour mixture and put in the yeast. Set the machine on dough. When the cycles are completed, take the dough out of the container and knead until springy. Place in a greased 1 1/2 pound bread pan and put in a warm place to let the dough rise again for about 1 hour. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. The bread should sound hollow when tapped if it is done.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : 3 tablespoons of powdered dry milk ( not instant) and 1 1/2 cups of water can be substituted for the 1 1/2 cups of milk.

The walnuts, sunflower seeds and oatmeal are optional. If you decide not to use the oatmeal, however, be sure to still use the water or substitute milk.
Old 04-04-2002, 12:45 PM   #4  

Default Jamaican Beef Patties

I got this recipe from a dear Jamaican friend. I have made them with white flour for years, and decided to try to adapt them for Sugarbusters last night for dinner. I expected my picky kids to complain about the ww flour crust, but no one even noticed! Ask your butcher for the suet. Trim any meat off it, and partially freeze, then coarsely chop it and put into the food processor. When it resembles coarse meal, stop. Don't over process, or it will get too soft and the consistency of crisco. I put it in a ziplock bag and keep it in the freezer, measuring out what I need.

Filling:

2 pounds lean ground beef
1 T thyme
2-3 scallions minced
2 scotch bonnet peppers
1 t salt
1 cup ww bread crumbs

Mix the beef, salt, thyme and scallions. VERY carefully mince the peppers, discarding the seeds and webbing. DO NOT touch your face, mouth or eyes until after you have washed your hands thoroughly, as these peppers are really really hot! If you don't like spicy, use only one, or a habanero instead. Mix the minced pepper with the beef. Cook over medium low heat without water or grease until meat is cooked. Add breadcrumbs and cook about 20 minutes more. Remove from heat and cool.

Pastry:

1 1/2 cups finely minced suet. (partially freeze and put in a food processor)
1 t salt
1 t paprika (for color)
4 cups sg ww pastry flour

Mix well, then add:

2/3 - 1 cup ice water

Mix until it can form a crumbly ball. If too dry, add more ice water. Put in an airtight bag in the fridge until ready to assemble.

To assemble:

Roll dough VERY thin. Cut into about 6 inch circles. (I use a lid to a small saucepan, and it works great!) Put about two tablespoons of the meat mix on one side of the round. Use a bit of water on the edges to help seal. Fold over the meat to bring edges together, and press with a fork to seal. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 35 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes about 36, or make 4-5 dozen smaller cocktail size (four inch circle).

You can also make these with chicken. Use a bit of curry powder with the chicken.

Last edited by Ellen; 04-04-2002 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-11-2002, 11:16 PM   #5  

Ok. Is it not totally the perfect time to grow some basil and make some pesto? So summery..

This is from Somersizing:

Basil Pesto

1 or more garlic cloves
3 tbls. unsalted butter
1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
pinch of nutmeg
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cups loosely packed basil leaves, stems removed
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, stems removed
1/4 extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper

To a food processor fitted with a steel blade, add the garlic, butter, white pepper, and nutmeg. With the processor running, add the parmesan, then the basil and the parsley. Trickle the oil into the processor until the sauce is smooth. If necessary, add a little hot water to the sauce in order to reach the desired consistancy. Then add salt and pepper to taste. Toss with whole wheat pasta.

optional: add walnuts and pine nuts
Old 04-16-2002, 06:33 PM   #6  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Storm's 2 minute Salsa recipe
Did I send out this salsa recipe already? I better do it again, just incase. Its too yummy to miss!
Slice up jicama like potato chips to dip in it! Heaven!

Salsa:
Mix in blender:
one bunch cilantro
four tomatoes
5 green onions
pinch of Cayenne powder
3 tablespoons Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt

(Substitute celery for tomatoes for green salsa!)

ENJOY

BOB
Old 04-17-2002, 10:08 PM   #7  

Default Asian Asparagus Salad

1 lb fresh asparagus
1 T soy sauce (dark if available)
2 t sesame oil
1 t red wine vinegar
dash of splenda, or agave

Snap hard ends off asparagus, and slice diagonally into 1/2 inch pieces. Put asparagus pieces in boiling water for 1 minute, remove and rinse with cold water. Mix rest of ingredients together thoroughly, toss with cooked asparagus. Serve cold.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:14 PM   #8  

Default Chinese style Ribs

2 pounds country style pork ribs
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 quarter size slices of ginger
2 cloves garlic, peeled
water to cover

Put ribs in big pot, add rest of ingredients, just covering with water. Bring to a boil, let simmer 5 to 10 minutes. Cool.

Grill sauce:
1 T hoisin sauce ( the brand I get has 3 grams of sugar per serving)
1 t agave
1 T grated ginger
2 cloves garlic crushed, or grated
2 T soy sauce
2 T sesame oil

mix together well

Grill ribs over medium fire brushing lightly with grill sauce.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:18 PM   #9  

Default Japanese Ginger Salad dressing

1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
2 T chopped celery
1/2 cup peanut oil
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1 T lemon juice
2 T grated ginger
2 T sugar free ketchup
2 T soy sauce
1 t agave
pinch of pepper

Put all ingredients in a blender jar and process until smooth. Serve on salad.
Old 04-18-2002, 06:43 AM   #10  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

BOB sent this to me in an e-mail from a site on the web-though it was worth posting on the board, sounds good, and easy!!!

GRILLED PERSIAN BEEF KEBABS

1 1/2 pounds Beef Tenderloin or Sirloin -- fat trimmed off
1 medium Onion -- cut in 1" pieces
3 tablespoons Lime juice
3 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon cracked Black Peppercorns
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter

Cut meat into 1" cubes; then cut each cube in half. Slide beef
squares onto skeweres through the 1/2"-edge of the meat; place on a shallow non-reactive platter.

Puree onion in food processor or blender; pour puree over kebabs, turning to coat both sides.

Douse kebabs with lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper, again turning to coat both sides. Marinate up to 1 hour at room temperature while grill is being prepared.

Grill kebabs until cooked to taste: 1-2 minutes each side. Transfer kebabs to platter; rub each with a little butter. Serve at once, using a pice of lavash (flat bread) to protect your hand as you slide the beef off the
skewer.
Old 04-21-2002, 08:31 AM   #11  

Smothered Cornish Game Hen

Serves 8

4 Whole Cornish Game Hens
4 1/2 Tablespoons Butter
4 1/2 Tablespoons Flour
3 Cups Chicken Broth
3/4 Cup Sherry
Salt And Pepper

Prepare hens by cutting them in half and removing the skin on at least some. Place the hens in a baking dish. In a skillet add flour to butter and stir well. Slowly add broth and sherry. Cook until slightly thickened, blending and stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the hens. Cover and bake 350 degrees F. for about 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Uncover the last few minutes if you want more browning.
I turn the hens once during the cooking period and ocassionally baste them.If I want a really low fat meal, I skin the hens before cooking and also prepare the sauce without the butter.

Serve with cooked brown rice.
Old 04-21-2002, 04:47 PM   #12  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Guacamole Dip

2 very ripe avocados
2 Tbsp. onion, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 red pepper, cut fine
1/2 green pepper, cut fine
1 medium ripe tomato, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped fine
1 Tbsp. lime or lemon juice

Halve the avocados, remove pits and scoop flesh into a glass container. Mash with a fork and blend in remaining ingredients. Serve as quickly as possible. Serve w/ fresh veggies.

BOB
Old 04-24-2002, 05:45 PM   #13  

Default LEBANESE RECIPES

Makmoora

1 savoy cabbage thinly sliced
1 large onion sliced
1 large leek thinly sliced
5 spring onions finely chopped
2 cups burghul (bulgur wheat)
3 cups chicken stock
1 tsp mixed spices (see recipe below)
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tbs ground cumin
2 chillies finely chopped
3 tbs olive oil for cooking
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs worcester sauce
Salt & pepper

Fry onions and leeks until soft. Add mixed spices, cumin, chilli, cabbage. Cover and fry on low heat for 10 mins stirring occasionally. Add burghul and stir in well. Add chicken stock, salt, pepper, worcester sauce and lemon juice. Stir. The stock should just cover the burghul. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 10 mins. Check to see if the juices have evaporated. If burghul is not yet cooked, add 1/2 cup of water to it and allow to simmer for 10 more minutes. Switch off heat and leave to stand for 20 mins. Serve warm with salad.

Lamb Shawarma

1 kg boneless lamb shoulder
1 cup malt vinegar
2 tsp mixed spices (see recipe below)
1/4 tspn. ground cardamon
1/4 cup yoghurt
Salt & pepper

Cut the meat into small thin slices. Marinate using all the above ingredients for 4 hours or overnight in the fridge. Put the meat with the marinade in an oven tray and bake covered in a hot oven for 1 hour, stirring once. Uncover and put back in the oven for 10 more minutes, or till the meat is well cooked. If desired, pour out the fat for a healtier option. Serve with sliced tomatoes, onions, and chopped parsley, rolled in a pitta bread topped with Taratour Sauce or Hummus. Serves 4 - 6.

Chicken Shawarma

8 chicken thighs
1/2 cup malt vinegar
1 tsp mixed spices (see recipe below)
1/4 tspn. ground cardamon
1/4 cup yoghurt
1 tbs oil
Salt & pepper

Slice the chicken. Marinate using all the above ingredients for 4 hours or overnight in the fridge. Put the chicken with the marinade in an oven tray and bake covered in a hot oven for 30 mins, turning once. Uncover and put back in the oven for 5 more minutes, or till the chicken is well cooked. If desired, pour out the fat for a healtier option. Serve with sliced tomatoes, onions, and chopped parsley, rolled in a pitta bread topped with Taratour sauce or Hummus. Serves 4.

Lebanese Mixed Spices

Allspice
Black pepper
Cinnamon
Cloves
Nutmeg
Fenugreek
Ginger

Mix together 1 tspn of each of above spices and store in covered jar.

All recipes from the following website.

http://www.lebaneserecipes.f9.co.uk/Lebanese.htm

Last edited by Rosalie; 04-24-2002 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-25-2002, 10:25 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Finally got around to typing these recipes. Hope you like them

Strawberry Jell-O Salad

2 C ground pretzels
1 ½ sticks of butter (melted)
2 8 oz cream cheese
2 C sugar (I used 1 cup agave)
1 carton of whipping cream
2 3oz package of strawberry Jell-O
2 C pineapple juice ( I used apple juice)
2 pkg of frozen strawberries ( I just used individual frozen strawberries and filled up the bowl). Do not thaw

Mix pretzel and melted butter. Press in a 9x13 pan. Bake 10 minutes @ 400. Cool completely
Mix cream cheese and agave. Spread over pretzels.
Whip cream, sweeten to taste with Splenda, etc. Spread over cheese.
Dissolve Jell-O in 2 C of boiling apple juice. Add strawberries. Stir until Jell-O becomes almost set.
Spoon Jell-O and strawberry mixture over whipped cream. Refrigerate.

[COLOR=blue]
Old 04-25-2002, 10:43 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Here's the Oven-Fried Chicken that I thought was so good.

Oven-Fried Chicken (from Cooking Light Magazine)

¼ C low-fat buttermilk (used skim)
2 chicken breast halves (about 1 pound skinned)
2 chicken drumsticks (about ½ pound skinned)
2 chicken thighs (about ½ pound skinned)
½ C all-purpose flour (used sgww)
1 t salt
½ t ground red pepper
¼ t white pepper
¼ t ground cumin
Cooking Spray

1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag, seal. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning occasionally.
2. Preheat oven to 450.
3. Combine flour, salt, peppers, and cumin in a second large zip-top bag. Remove chicken from first bag, discarding marinade. Add chicken, one piece at a time, to flour mixture, shaking bag to coat chicken. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour, lightly coat each chicken piece with cooking spray. Return chicken, one piece at a time to flour mixture, shaking bag to coat chicken. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour.
4. Place chicken on a baking sheet line with parchment paper. Lightly coat chicken with cooking spray. Bake at 450 for 35 minutes or until done, turning after 20 minutes.

1 serving = 1 breast half, or 1 thigh and 1 drumstick.
Calories 263, protein 38.4 g, carbs 14.9g, fiber 0.8 g, chol 11-mg, iron 2.2mg, sodium 754mg, calc 73mg.

I did not have any buttermilk nor the time to marinate to I put the ckicken in a bowl of skim milk while I prepared the flour mixture.
I did not have red or white pepper so I just used black and increase amount. I doubled the flour and used 3 breast halves and 6 drumsticks.

Hope you like it.
Closed Thread