Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #16  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Checkin' in.

Crazy Crazy busy here. I just received a call stating someone wanted to walk through my house....they were sitting in my driveway. UHG. I have a playdate for my kindergartner and just returned from the gym. Thank goodness I'm a neat freak. Seriously.

This is the first week where it looks like I'm going to be in the gym for five consecutive days. It feels so freaking good to be able to play with my workouts a little bit.

Alena: The house on the pipestem was a different property. It's a mute point now, both have sold. The houses seem to be moving really quick. Not uncommon for them to be on the market less than a week. If it sits for two or three weeks then I begin to wonder what's wrong with it. It's such a contrast to the market I'm selling in. Here...the houses seem to be listed for a least a month if not more. No matter, I have not control over this and the fact is...it just takes one buyer.

Nelie: I've been thinking of joining CrossFit Fairfax after I relocate. Really depends upon which area I settle in though.

Eumie: Welcome We are at all different levels here so feel free to jump in!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #17  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My inlaws are selling their house in Burke, VA and it is going fast. Basically, they live in a good neighborhood for services and transportation and someone heard that they might be selling and next thing you know they have a buyer without ever putting their house on the market. They are just working out the details.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #18  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Glad to see everybody is still alive and kicking.

The pool didn't work out yesterday, there were people in my pool so I had to return to work. I did 50 minutes on the treadmill instead.

Better luck with the swimming today, but that will be my only exercise for today. I have to run to the grocery store and cook because my fridge is completely empty.

My good news for today (well, good for me) is that I approached my gym and asked about possible adjustment of my membership rate. My reasoning was Zumba now has to be paid for separately (on top of the reg. membership); a lot of classes I used to take are not available any more and on top of that, I am eligible (- a new perk of from my employer) to get membership at a gym located in the technotown where I work. It is the most modern and expensive club in town, with annual fee of something like $720 (I suppose they assume we all get CEO’s salaries) and now it's being offered to us for $320 per year.

So, I stated all this to back my request at the gym and I got an email today that they will lower my monthly membership fee from $45 to $31. So of course, I am doing a very happy dance. (I had to plans to switch to the other gym even if my gym membership rate remained the same – it is not convenient for me and I love my current gym. But I was hoping that perhaps they could offer me monthly fee of $40 or $39, I never expected $31!

Not to mention that in July the stupid harmonized tax will kick in and it will affect my monthly rate (a translation for non-Canucks: instead of 5% tax I will be paying 13% tax). Disgusting.

Eumie: welcome! Don't worry about level - we are all over the place.

Now, where is Shannon in her red carpet dress?

Alena
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #19  
Just Me

Alena - There are 3 gyms near me and each of them cost $70+ per month Crossfit are more around here but I don't know how much the one is that I sent an email to. I imagine it is around $100.

I actually had a question about Crossfit. Why is there a main Crossfit WOD but then each individual gym also has its own WOD? That seems confusing to me. I guess nothing wrong with it but I think they'd want most workouts to be consistent.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #20  

Can I join in? I just counted my workouts that I typed into dailymile and I have done 37 since April 12! Granted, some are very short, 10-15 minutes of pilates for example, but some are a lot longer. I was a complete couch potato until mid/end of February, so badly I couldn't even walk for more than 15 minutes.

You all seem like a great group!

Thank you in advance :O)
redsox33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #21  
Let's salsa!

Red Sock, hi!
(Consider yourself warned - I quickly rename everybody!)
By the way, we have a new thread each month. So if you want to learn more about us, you can browse the previous threads. The APril's thread should be still on page 1 of this forum (April Is The Cruellest Month).

Nelie,
But I am guessing that your gym must be swankier than mine, or perhaps prices are higher due to close proximity to D.C.? (Please excuse my ignorance - I am only guessing from our talks here that you're close, I haven't checked the map).
I love my gym and it has the basic equipment but I wish we had stuff like a rowing machine (one or two Concept machines would be nice) and kettlebells. Hard to believe that such a hard core gym like this one doesn't have kettlebells.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #22  
Just Me

Hi RedSox

Alena - The one gym I went to visit was part of a health care facility, tons of cardio machines, pool, a (machine based) weight training circuit, weight machines and a fairly small free weight area (big turn off!!). They had classes and I think maybe a raquetball court. I think they quoted me $79/month. I haven't visited the other facilities with similar pricing but I imagine they are similar in amenities.

I think.. I may have an appointment at the Crossfit gym tomorrow Am I crazy!?
Old 05-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #23  
Mel

Nelie- I'm EXCITED for you!!!! Crossfit is very scalable and I absolutely love it. It is more expensive than a gym- I pay $129/month for unlimited sessions of any type (we have regular Crossfit which is what I usually do, Crossfit stregnth bias that I manage to get to occasionally, a new class they are calling Crossfit Stretch but which is really yoga and pilates, and A boxing class called Fight to Be Fit). Considering that the "coach" to participant ration is usually around 6-8/1, I think it's a good deal.

Tonight's WOD was
Quote:
"Randy"

75 Power Snatches (55, 75)

For Time!

Randy Simmons, 51, a 27 year LAPD veteran and SWAT team member was killed February 6, 2008 in the line of duty. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Officer Simmons' wife and two children.
We have been doing hero and named WODs for benchmarking every other day for the last 2 weeks. I did Randy tonight 2 minutes faster and with 10 pounds more than I did it last November. My form was ugly at the end, but I did it with the proscribed weight.

Welcome Redsox and Eumie!!!! Always glad to see new folks

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #24  
Just Me

Mel - I'm so nervous!! I have to pack my gym clothes for my appointment tomorrow afternoon and you all will hear about it. Part of me wanted to include in the email that I'm fat. Am I really so self conscious right now? It reminds me of when I was heavier and felt I needed to almost apologize for my weight. "Hi, I'm coming to meet you at your gym tomorrow, sorry but I'm also fat, hope you don't mind"

He also mentioned that he'll evaluate where I need to be, I mentioned in my email that I inconsistently do kettlebells but worry about my form overall. So I'm hoping he doesn't think I'm more fit than I am. Not sure I need an evaluation other than stick me with the beginners
Old 05-06-2010, 07:54 AM   #25  
Kallos Sthenos

NELIE

I CAN'T WAIT to hear about your appointment. I can understand your feelings of being self conscious. But seriously Mel claims this is scalable. And...you are paying them for a service. You will go in there, work hard, and take with you what you need to grow and learn. Money well spent once you get through the first five minutes of feeling awkward...remind me this when it's mine turn okay?

Alena:Nice job with the new fees! Love that.

Gotta go. Morning rounds to make. And...I have to rescue my iPhone from the gym....can't believe I left it there yesterday. They didn't call me. DH had to GPS it last night from VA. I'm such an idiot. Losing one of those things is like losing a diary...sigh. Fortunately I was able to remote lock it.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:08 AM   #26  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

all!

Lydia - can you slow down a touch? Foot off the gas for a moment? There's nothing behind you, you won't get shunted.

I am struggling with the DB's D&V and a sudden invitation to make a business proposal. Not good timing with regard to weights, or cardio, or even eating. Or sleep. Just as I was getting into a rhythm.

Good luck, nelie! I'm keen to hear more.

to Eumie and RedSox.

I think Shannon and DH are holed up in a cabin somewhere. I don't think they are on the run but she wouldn't have said, would she?
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #27  
Let's salsa!

Birchie -
Looking again at your avatar, I am wondering if the young woman has lace sleeves or if she was ahead of times and got herself a nice tattoo???
Who knows, maybe she was Kat von D's great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother.

Nelie -
No worries, you will ACE appointment!

Lydia -
How's the foot doing?

Mel is now carrying Cheryl's torch, working on converting us all into crossfitters.

My back is somewhat worse today. I have a feeling it is a result of the treadmill session. Is jogging bad for lower back?

We a brief, but intense, downpour last night.

Alena

Last edited by Tomato; 05-06-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #28  
Workin' It

Good morning! Back from my little vacay in the mountains, ready to pile back in at work. Ate pretty well while we were gone, did some yoga every day, no other formal exercise. The little break was nice.

Alena - I am currently using a lot of 20 minute yoga podcasts from yogadownloads.com, I also use some videos from exercise tv sometimes.

Back to comment later. Welcome to the new folks! Good day all!

ETA - Alena, just saw your question about jogging being bad for the lower back. I find that sometimes I lean too far forward on the treadmill, which results in lower back and shoulder pain. Doesn't happen to me when I run outside.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 05-06-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #29  
Let's salsa!

Thanks Shannon. Nice to have you back!
Old 05-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #30  
Kallos Sthenos

Silverbirch: Thank you. Just at this moment I feel myself downshifting. Not five minutes earlier I was feeling pretty uptight and well, just downright angry. I really don't have any reason to feel REAL anger. Not really. This move is a great thing for DH and the boys. I'm sure its because I love what I created here. There have been times through this year when the idea of not returning to this house and the gym I refer to as my home a way from home seems like something I just can't do. I've even thought about keeping my membership active so that I can return when I visit family for the first year. It will take me that long to readjust. But anyway, thanks Silver, after reading your post, I feel better. Weird. Guess you gave me permission to see how I'm allowing circumstances to run me. BEST of luck with your proposal! I'm certain it is frustrating to have it interfere with the rhythm of your workouts and eating. Sigh. Life. Right?

Shannon: Glad you had a great time. The 20 minute podcasts are wonderful!

Alena Foot still hurts. I tolerate it though and workout around it. More lifting than cardio. Jump rope put away. No running. Even shortening the elliptical workouts. I'm throwing in Ashtanga yoga sequences and step ups on a bench in between my lifting sets to increase my heart rate. Not exactly steady state cardio in the traditional sense but its better than nothing. I see a doc on the 18th.

I have RETRIEVED MY IPHONE. What a a relief. A very big cosmic thank you to whoever may have found it and was honest enough to turn it in. It was a little doubtful at first. I KNEW its location because DH did a GPS search on it. Unfortunately, no one signed it in the book as found and it wasn't at the desk. One of the directors found it in the safe in the back offices. So grateful to have it back. I've decided that I'm just too distracted at the gym to have it with me. I'm going to be unavailable for two hours each day. Not such a bad thing really.