Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 10:15 AM   #166  
deleted2

Frogger, it's beautiful!!! You must be so excited! When is the wedding day again? Thanks so much for sharing with us. I love photos!

Feeling very strong and positive today. I'm back, baby! Even collected that all important sticker for being good yesterday!
Bad news is we're iced in again and Garry's birthday is tomorrow and it's unlikely that we'll get out---I wanted us to go somewhere and do something special but I guess I'll have to just think of something we can do here at home.
And I have to make a cake too. A small one! A low-fat something....

Old 02-27-2003, 11:29 AM   #167  
Is it Friday yet?

Happy Friday eve!

I'm computin' today using my new fangled, very cool, 'isn't technology impressive?' new toy - a cordless optical mouse! No more fighting with the cord pulling my mouse off the desk! And the extra fun part? With this mouse you can choose what your little pointer looks like - mine right now is an actual little mouse with a swishing tail - just put his nose on where you want to click.... Hehehehehehe!

I banished a yesterday! One day on program under my belt (so to speak). One foot in front of the other... I can do another day today I think!

Arabella - Hmmm... haven't seen Magnolia!

Kaylets - Yes, it has been a long week! I really liked your thought for the day - it spoke of teamwork!

Scooby - LOL! Whitman's samplers for breakfast! I've done that before! ...and you could tell from your post you were a bit buzzy!
Now, about the seasonal depression thing - it's very real and can be very bad (mine was horrific, no joke, no exaggeration). Since using my sunrise clock last spring (oh, almost a year ago!) I've had NO SIGNS of what I went through last year. Granted, it's been a bit less overcast this winter, but it's the long nights that get me more than anything. It is money very, very well spent. Give it a try...

Eydie - Isn't it wonderful when you need someone like Daisy and voila! there they are? The world works in amazing ways...

Amarantha - I'm with you! Let's officially call it a 3 day weekend - even if we have to work!

Frogger - Your dress is beautiful! It's my favorite kind, long flowing... I had to laugh when my best friend got married she had 3 different petticoats under her dress and it took 2 bridesmaids and myself to hold the front of her dress down when we sat down in the limo!

Ceara - How funny! My Mom's cat does the same thing - takes all her toys and stuffs them under the end tables. Once a week I help my Mom lift them up and take all the toys out. We also find some of our OWN things (mostly chapstick and my good work pens)

Anagram - It's stories like yours that make me wish I had a sister. How wonderful of her to come babysit you like that!
No 'wows' on the taxes - I usually file as soon as I can but because of the stupid Oregon tax ballot (which failed) we had to wait until 1/28 to file. I've only had to pay once ($3 to federal) the year I was on unemployment. This year with paying on the house a full tax year I was really curious to see how it would work out.

For my me-me-me time today, I brought Harry Potter #3 to read (ok, skim, since I want to start #4 for my trip and so I'm ready for #5 in June and I don't remember what happened in 3!).

And yes, Mister Rogers... I grew up watching him and was SO sad to hear he'd passed. I wouldn't watch his show until my Mom let me put on my sweater too! I believe when we die we experience for ourselves the way we've made other people feel during our lifetime. What a treat he must be getting now to experience all the love he gave kids for over 30 years!
"It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood..." has been running through my head all morning. Long live King Friday IIIX!!!!

Toodles for now,

Terri

Last edited by Punkinseed; 02-27-2003 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:16 PM   #168  

Default your post was so beautiful i had to read it to my sister

Hi all,

Still buzzing a bit from chocolate

Pumpkin that ending of your post was so beautiful. You made me and my sister tear! Mr rodgers was a wonderful man!
Have you heard from your ex co worker at all? Equiring minds want to know! I will look into getting the season light for next fall. THats when my depression usually starts.

God do i love cats. My roommates cats knock over my stuff to let me know they want attention. They are just so smart. Luckily not much on my desk to knock of except for water bottle caps. So i find them all over my floor. So CUTE! Cats are just such cute creatures. Sometimes irving, cat,will not leave in the morning. He jumps on my back...when putting on my shoes.

Anagram arent sisters great like that! Im glad your sister took great care of u. Its really important to recognize how special your sister is. Thats awesome!

Pumpkin you can be my sister if you want. However i have 2 two others but im sure they will adore u. I have a brother as well.

Kaylet cabin fever is not fun. I hate feeling closed in. Its funny i can stay in my house all year round except when it snows..then i find a need to get out.

Amarantha, i think its really cool that your a reporter. Your stuff is out there...and i admire that and sometimes burnout will happen..but i hope you get rejuvenated!
Talk to you all later. Hi to arabella, frogger, caera and to all...have a great day. Oh yea and hi tipper..if your reading this post or if not still a hi.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:17 PM   #169  
Is it Friday yet?

Default Thanks Sister Scooby...

I tend to wax a bit poetic when letting a little out about my religious ideas... (a good sign one's found their true path)

Thanks for the offer of sisterhood - I really think all women are like sisters to each other (well, for the most part anyway, but I think moreso than the brotherhood of men). But being an only child does make me wonder what it would be like "if"... My brother (and he is my brother, I left off the "step" part a decade ago) is a gem and I love him to death, so I do have some idea of what it must be like!

Yes, I have heard from "my guy" since his leaving. I emailed him on Monday to ask a question for his letter of recommendation I was writing and we've emailed back and forth a couple times since then... it feels strange.

Skeedaddlin'

Terri
Old 02-27-2003, 08:40 PM   #170  

Smile Thursday evening!

Hello all!!

Am feeling more like myself and scale is beginning to show the TOM bloat is leaving. Its good to know I havent lost my sense of humor, it was just underneath all the water bloat !!!

Another storm due to arrive in about 30
minutes. Which means, more of the same. But, at least I nearly finished the last "backlog" at work from the previous storm.

Frogger, the dress is PERFECT!! You will look gorgeous! very nice taste!!

Empress- This too will pass-- all you have to do is what has to be done - the rest can wait!

Hmmm- Arabella, Cappuchino sounds delish-- tell us more!!

Punkin! Can they put the deck on now or do you have to wait for spring?? This sounds like a new houe maybe, is that why there is nothing out back now??
and you're just telling us now that you've heard from HIM!!! We've been sitting on the edge of our chairs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anagram! Good for you!! And why not! What else are you supposed to do when your recovering? I can't think of anything better!

Ceara- Sleeping like a log is exactly the description of what the past two nights have been like- W/ BenGay and lots of blankets too!! Couldnt even keep my eyes open for American Idol or West Wing although I heard the Marine made the cut on Idol and am glad becuase he does have a nice voice and seems like a wonderful guy.

Scoobysnacks-- Sounds like my Fudgescapade a while back!!
Are the Whitman's all gone? Because if you;re like me, when you wake up Friday........oh my oh my, the Greenies will be waiting and smiling and saying....."You know you want more...".... At least Whitman's are quality-- !!

Who am I forgetting??
Wildfire... are you on the other side of that wing chair? MissWu, can I refill your cup?? Arabella, which music did you listen to w/ the capucchino?? Eydie!!!! what did you decide about Garry's birthday?? Are you polishing your shovel??

I am going to try and get some chores caught up since I am starting to feel more like myself.

Oh, and before I forget.

Sometimes DH and I like breakfast for supper.
You might like it too.

2 containers of egg beaters
1 cup lo fat skim shredded mozzarella
2 Laughing Cow cheeses cut up
1 cup salsa

Pour egg beaters in oven safe dish
Mix well w/ fork
Add cheese and salsa. Stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Bake at 350-375 for aprx 30-40 minutes.

Makes 4 smallish servings for 4.5 pts
We each ate 2 servings w/ some home made wheat bread.

I plan on tinkering w/ this recipe and adding mushrooms, asparagus, etc,

Take care all!
Old 02-27-2003, 09:42 PM   #171  

Ah, well, my afternoon turned out far from leisurely 'til I got prescriptions filled, journalled the dr. visit (the only way I can keep track of all this), made some followup calls, etc., etc.

But we had a great lunch. Some of dh's restrictions have been somewhat modified temporarily so he had one of his "faves" (and it's been over six months since he had it). Let me tell you there was nothing wrong with the guy's appetite today. So, short version, I had a lunch that was not designed to banish a . (It will however certainly serve to confuse my metabolism.)

Then I had a choice. Give up for the day and let #12 win or get it in gear and pull out a "save". With much weeping and gnashing of teeth, I opted for a save. Did some "skiing" and my "dinner" consisted of an orange and some diet Jello. I know I'm going to feel great in the morning that I will have banished another . I know this would not have happened were it not for the Pledge.

So for this week only and to go. (of course #8 and #10 are still hanging around being annoying but they have no power anymore and will gradually just wither away).

Last edited by anagram; 02-27-2003 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:00 PM   #172  

Kaylets, you mentioned leaning on the group the last few days and it brought to mind something I've been meaning to say for a good while now.

As most of you know, it will this weekend be 3 mo since dh had the emergency room visit and 15 days of hospitalization, etc. It also means 3 mo since my life took quite a turn. I've not really had time for lunches, phone calls, etc. with friends (and very little with family other than my kids and the one sis).

But when I've needed friendship (at whatever hour of the day I could find a few minutes), it was here waiting for me. I could be a part of your much more interesting and active lives. While I needed (at least in the first month or so) to focus almost 100% on dh and medical issues, almost every day I at least lurked a few minutes for laughter, diversion and normalcy.

Things are better now but our new "normal" is not yet established. I have not yet driven the hour to see my mother nor do I yet spend phone time with friends or meet people for lunch, etc. But almost everyday and usually several times a day, here I am with the friends who helped me through a rough time just by being their normal positive selves. I'll get back to the other things eventually but I surely will be here "as usual" every spare minute. And I just wanted you to know how much your joy and support have meant to me. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:42 PM   #173  
Empress/Queen

Default Night falleth ...

Yo! Back at last! So much to catch up with here but received my new beading book and will be brief as I need to crash with the book ... funny my horoscope said I would sign up for a class today ... I only saw this tonight but it happened ... I went to one of the towns I cover WAY down south in the state (88 miles from my house) and there's a lady who teaches beading down there and I stopped to talk to her and ended up sitting down and relearning peyote stitch ... which I find quite elusive.

Calories low so I feel sure Len is outta here, although I'm going to eat a bit of cold cereal with the book (not eating the book, eating while READING the book, which is a bad diet habit but I like it!)

Oops, another me-me postie, but I am always so glad you guys are out there.

Anagramatic, thy last post was so touching it made me want to cry! I am glad thy dh be better and had some food he liked today!!! And good job on the "save!"

Kaylets: Thanks for posting the quichelike recipe BTW ... I'm going to try it! And I be totally glad thou hast not lost thy sense o' humor as we all need thee to have it!!! Congrats on the bloat banishment!!!

Scooby: Thanks for saying A's job be cool!! I'd like to lie and sound positive about it, but I just honestly don't have the passion for it anymore. I really want to spend the rest of my life beading!!! But bills keep arriving in the mailbox so I soldier on ...

I do so agree that cats be cute ... thy Irving soundeth a corker!!

Frogger: I can't see thy dress ... I know it must be beautiful and thou wilt look beautiful in it!!!

Punkin: So happy thou be in touch with THE GUY!!! Told you so!!! BTW, where did thou post about thy religious beliefs? I want to read it but can't find it.

I've been singing "it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood" all day, too! I think Mr. R. gave me a gift today because very early I was slogging along on the same old road south to do my interviews and feeling dissatisfied and inadequate as I often do and thinking of my ex-friend (the entity!) who was never a friend and of the newspaper 10 minutes from my house that won't hire me when I know I'm a better reporter than 95 percent of the people they do hire and of the ... you get the picture ... anyhow, NPR was playing old interviews with Mr. R., who I had just heard them say had died, and he was commenting or answering a question on how some people perceived him as a "wimp" because of his gentle manner. He said something to the effect that the best gift we could give to children our true selves and if anyone did not like him as he truly was, that was too bad! It loses in the translation but coming just after I heard he had died, it seemed like a revelation and lifted my heart. This translates to my life, too. It seems obvious and trite, but it becomes profound if you really start to think about it and believe it: If someone can't accept me the way I am, too bad!

Amarantha perceiveth that she be rambling again!!! Probably 10 people have posted since I started typing!

Avanti and au revoir! Congrats to all who banished a leprechaun today!
Old 02-28-2003, 12:34 AM   #174  
Hot Stuff

Bonsoir, mes amies! Comment allez-vous? Pourquoi etre que nous parlons le francais?

Sorry I've been MIA for so long. DD is grounded unti l at least April, until I see passing grades at mid-terms. Her school year is split into two sections, each term is four classes. She only passed one of the four she took last term....Drama. How appropriate! So she is repeating the ones she failed again this term. This is a kid who was an A student until she hit high school and decided she doesn't like it anymore and would prefer to be a social butterfly. So I've cut her off from her world.

So, battling this, and a very busy time at work, I've been away from the computer while at home. Turns out I still have a job at least for the present, 'tho they're switching me from Financial accounting to Cost accounting. Blah. Boring, boring, boring. So, good news is I still have a healthy paycheque. Bad news is I still have to work with those morons every day. C'est la vie.

Castle MacGillivray is overrun with green . Apparently, they multiply in water, and they've been having quite the ceilidh in the castle moat while I've been otherwise occupied. They're everywhere! Under beds, swinging from ceiling fans, hiding behind curtains, using my bubblebath, eating the cats' food....which the cats didn't take too kindly to, and are seeking their revenge as I type. My Sherlock is such a good little hunter.... Hopefully things will be better under control over the weekend.

Frogger, your dress is beautiful! Very graceful. You know we want pictures of you IN it after you're all married!

It'll take me a while to catch up with all the postings, so if I comment or ask a question on something you've all resolved a week ago, just humor me.

A tout a l'heure!
Old 02-28-2003, 05:44 AM   #175  

Smile Fabulous Friday!!!

Honey(ies!!), ITS FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am feeling so much more like myself!!! Even the post I just lost about teenagers does not upset me this am!!
It's Friday, there's only about 5" new snow, I feel so much more like myself and did I mention---- ITS THE END OF MY WORK WEEK!!!

Okay, I'll use my "inside voice" --

Wildfire-- Short version- I can relate. The only good thing from the recession is to make teenagers realize how much an education can mean. And how that's not even a guarnatee but sure is heads above lack of education.

5" inches and still snowing so must be on my way....

Today's thought is:
"What one does is what counts and not what one had the intention of doing" --Pablo Picasso

Did I mention its Friday??
Old 02-28-2003, 06:28 AM   #176  

Wildfire, good morning to you also, friend. I'm well so far today. Because my one year of high school French will take me only so far. And ah, teen-age daughters - when you can turn all that energy, drive and independence in the right direction, they can achieve so much. My own DD was also an excellent student until h.s., also wanted to be a social butterfly, loved all the extra curriculars involving drama, etc. Never failed anything but now admits/regrets she didn't put more effort in. She did finish college magna but she feels she could have put in more effort there as well. She went on to law school and there she felt she really had to work. I still remember well the one conversation where I feel I finally got her attention (about 16, I think). I basically told her that I obviously wished her well but I could not make her do with her life what I thought best. Only SHE held the key to her future and if it didn't work out well, I'd cry for her but I'd know I had done what I could. That MY life would not be changed a lot (ok, maybe I fibbed here), that dh and I would still have each other, a good life, etc, etc, that my friends/family would know we had done all we could for her but only SHE had the power to make her life what she wanted it to be down the road. It wasn't an instantaneous change by a long shot but I think she heard me on that one. Sometimes you have to let them dislike you (and I know she thought I was cold and heartless) and I'm sure a grounding 'til April might do that but you got to do your job. I also remember her being grounded for life once by her father. Actually the moment was sort of funny when he said that, that we all started giggling and broke a lot of tension. Hang strong, Mom.

Kaylets, your joy is infectious. Yes, more snow - you're supposed to get a lot more than we this time. Spring - three weeks! I think our latest snow around here was April 6th or something like that but I'm really hoping the first day of Spring is absolutely the start of a new climate. As soon as I can tromp through the snow, I think I'll bring in some forsythia and see if I can force it.

Amarantha, congratulations on a good food day with all that travel, etc. Difficult. I'm sure the peyote stitch lesson was good for your soul. Life would probably just be too simple if you worked for the paper ten minutes from home.

I've promised myself a more "contemplative" day today when I want serenity to rule. I have a couple of thorny issues to deal with and want so much to not let the annoyances take away from the joy I feel in the morning. I think I learned a lot from Mr. Rogers as well. It's hard to find anyone who doesn't know about him and the Neighborhood, isn't it? Too bad so many don't seem to have understood we're to take the message into our own neighborhoods when we grow up.

Amarantha and Eydie, could you name s for the "friends" and do the banishment thing with them? Sort of a ceremonial ending?

Last edited by anagram; 02-28-2003 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:25 AM   #177  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Good morning all! I've got about 3 seconds that I probably shouldn't be taking from my work today, but just wanted to drop in to say

So much wit and wisdom here! What a wonderful bunch of women! I am so grateful for each and every one of you.

No music and cappuccino yesterday, alas. My day was hijacked by a malfunctioning dryer -- of course, just after DH had returned with several loads of laundry -- I spent the whole of the aft dealing (albeit ineffectually ) with that. And then, I had to go out to buy a new printer because today is the deadline for a literary competition that both DH and I wanted to enter and ours crapped out. So that was my evening, on top of which, because of all the above, I likely don't have time to enter the competition now. Felt like having a good cry, which I may try to schedule in today.

BUT. Not letting any of that put me off course. I'm still doing very very well on this weight loss initiative. GOING to DO THIS!!! I'm just going to make the most of today, do the best I can. That's all we can do, but it's enough! Love to all!
Old 02-28-2003, 08:33 AM   #178  
deleted2

Punkinseed, I loved your thoughts on Mr. Rogers; thanks for sharing them. That and the image of Little Girl Terri having to be in her sweater too! Sweet! You said when you talked to 'the guy' it felt strange, good strange or bad strange?

Kaylets, thanks for posting the recipe--looks great! I love those Laughing Cows; they're such a treat and perfect portion control too! With your last post you were so excited about Friday I thought you were Punkin for a second--then I saw the Thought of the Day!

Scooby, no way could I be in the same house with a Whitman's sampler. Love the maple ones. Hope you're not feeling too hungover from it!

Amarantha, yeah, I'm hip. You just never know when an epiphany will come your way and what wild direction it'll come from.

Yay, Wildfire's here! Sorry for the drama with your daughter. Parenting is such a hard job. Oh, and I loved the image of the greenies taking over and being stalked by cats! Maybe a nice big can of Lep-B-Gone? [Hee hee! Get it?]

Anagram, thanks for your sweet post. We are a tight little group, aren't we?
And about the ceremonial endng you suggested for Amarantha and me to do with our ex-pals---I actually did that about 10 years ago during another big crisis with her! I know, I see the irony there. I've smudged the house and myself a few times, but I don't want to put a lot of energy into it because I feel 'done' with it.

Arabella, sorry you missed out on your cappucino yesterday. We're having appliance issues too---our heater is shutting off so we'll have to have that repaired--SOON! Such is life....

BTW, Made a Boston cream pie yesterday. We figured it's only one layer cut in half, and lends itself well to reducing the fat in some of its ingredients. But oh, the sugar!
Okay, my friends, gotta see to the birthday boy!

Old 02-28-2003, 09:39 AM   #179  
Momma Frog

Good Morning All!

Down 1 more pound this week! That makes 3lbs since the challenge started. Yippee!

But if I keep eating the crap I'm eating, then I've got a problem

Anyway,
Pumpkin-I too loved your post on Mr. Rogers. Let me show my young age. I used to watch the show when I was little.

It's Friday!!!! I sooo need a weekend. I have to go shopping though to expand my wardrobe. Number 1 my pants are too big. When you can zip and button them up and pull them off without undoing them, you have a great problem on your hands. Number 2, no more casual fridays here at work. No more happy fridays here at work is how I see it.

Quote of the day-
"I'm sick of winter. I'm going to kill the groundhog." Carla Gaster-Boy Scouts of America Service Center Nashville, TN
Old 02-28-2003, 11:27 AM   #180  
Is it Friday yet?

Ok, are you all sitting down???

I got up this morning a little early (thanks to one of my evil felines) and did 10 minutes on my eliptical!

Yea, I'm in shock too....

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!!

I rented Banger Sister, BF Greek Wedding and Sweet Home Alabama - light, entertaining, good giggle movies for the weekend.

Kaylets - Glad you're feeling more yourself!
Yep, the house is new(ish) - just over a year old. It's on 5 acres of land that I had to develop (drill a well, bring in electricity, install a septic system) and I'm even on a dirt road. Yes, my backyard is nothin' but about 3 1/2 acres of dirt and junipers. The front is about 2 acres of junipers, looooong gravel driveway (I'm about 300 feet back from the end of our "court") and a limited amount of landscaping I've done. I have a front deck and small side deck that comes off my breakfast nook. The back deck will have to wait until it's warm enough to work - I'm not building *anything* when it's 20 degrees!
Sorry I didn't mention anything about "my guy" - it just kinda seems like a non-event... I really think *if* we maintain contact it's going to just be as friends... it was strange to email him outside of work in a way that going to your first day at a new job feels weird. Not good, not bad, just different.

Anagram - Ya know, confusing your metabolism can be a good thing! Good job on the save - I sometimes tend to have an "well, I might as well mess up the whole day" attitude (not good, I know).
Your post made me smile... I'm glad we could be there for you and were some sort of support while you were going through all you did with your hubby. I'm even happier to see it slowly all come to a close and hear that you're coming back to some sense of normalcy. We're always here for you!

(side note: )
I saw a snipet on a news channel about a poll they did on whether "on-line friends" were the same as "real" friends. Unfortunately I didn't see the results, but personally, I don't see much difference between the two. Granted, we may not know each other if we saw each other on the street - but I don't think that means if we did know what each other looked like, if we were all close geographically, that we wouldn't be the kind of friends we all have in "real life". If it weren't for being online, this world would seem a LOT bigger and I'd know a LOT less people!

Amarantha - My religious belief snipet was the post about my beliefs about what happens after death. Ok, maybe not truly a "religious" statement - but still, it was me sharing a smattering of what I hold true...

Wildfire - I'm fine, how are YOU???? Good to see you again - sorry for the 'teenager from ****' happenings. Good of you to (as my stepfather would say) "nip it in the bud". I'm one of those too that was a really good student until being social became more important. I'm sure your DD will pull through this - sounds like she's got great support (even though she may not see it that way right now!)

Frogger - Congrats on the loss!
I'm sorry you lost your casual Friday! I don't know what I'd do if I had to really dress for work anymore. Wednesday I wore sweatpants... Hey, the only person I see is the UPS lady!

everyone!
Enjoy your Friday, take your 5 minutes of "me time" (I believe Kaylets always has a pot of hot water on) and have a great weekend if I don't "see" you before then!

Terri
(It is Friday, and therfore, I am )

Last edited by Punkinseed; 02-28-2003 at 11:38 AM.
Closed Thread