Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 10:51 PM   #31  
Empress/Queen

Well, I am back from the hinterland! Just reading these posts tonight reminds me of why I left the snowbelt ... so sorry you guys have to go through all that! Just thinking about all that snow and ice makes me claustrophopic! Blessed Arizona, long may you wave ... pollution, heat, overpopulated cities and all!!!

Kaylets, I love the Shrinking Woman!!! YES, YES, YES, NO EXCUSES! Hooray for her! Those two words alone are worth the click! (If Amarantha wanteth to get Bob and Co. outta here, no excuses be the best motto!) Thanks for posting the site.

Wildfire: Hope all turns out well with thy teen troubles! Have a good night!

I never had my second EAS shake as when I got home UPS had left the "crunchies" I'd ordered from a company I read about in Taste of Home mag. These are sort of freeze-dried fruits and veges ... it's a small company and they claim the dehydration process (which they contract out) does not destroy as many of the nutrients of their organic produce as much as if heat were used. I ordered two kinds of corn, cranberries, and edamame ... and they sent me samples of some berries, which are very good. I also tried the edamame and loved 'em ... all very low in calories. I came out with less calories than if I'd had the shake, so it's looking more and more as if Bob better start packing!

Au revoir!
Old 02-17-2003, 11:36 PM   #32  

Kaylets, we've had approx 27 inches of snow but not as much blowing about as had been expected. Dear neighbors again had us dug out before fellow we've hired got here. He was here once last evening (again after a neighbor had been) and will be back. Neighbor who also has his services called and told him we're open but he should wait to come until after some plowing's been done. Our street looks passable but we really need the truck to take some more away so we can have a bit more room to back onto the street.

Actually, this was the kind of afternoon our neighbors seem to love. they get together and help everybody dig out. Dh had told two of them this morning not to help, thanks, as we had someone coming in to do it. Well, he wasn't here by the time they were dug out so they went at it. Actually, dh and the one fellow share ownership of a very old huge snowblower and it got a workout today. I know they used it in the only snowfall on record that beat what our area had this weekend and that was in 1983. As I said, very old, much repaired.

My big concern, of course, was that dh couldn't get to dialysis today. The center was closed as was just about everything. They called this morning and did say they'd get him in for a short session tomorrow and would call and let him know the time. They finally called this evening and he's just supposed to call tomorrow whenever he's ready and they'll work it out. I have some reservations about him going out but I suspect he"
ll be able to do it. He did say I've been fussing about the snow too much but of course it's him I'm fussing about. I could just stay here till it melts - that would be one way to lose weight.

Exercising was tough today but I got some in. ACTUALLY got on the ski machine upstairs that has not been used in five (?) years. Surprisingly it was easier than I expected (I do a lot of 'cross country skiing' in the water). I didn't stay on it all that long but did some more exercising later. I may not lose any weight but I WILL banish some more leprechauns.

So 'bye, 'bye today's leprechaun (since I'm off to bed) and now we have

Old 02-17-2003, 11:43 PM   #33  

Well, so much for short posts. I guess I don't know what that means. Welcome back from your travels, Empress, and how nice to have a surprise treat waiting for you.

Wildfire, hope DD is in a more accommodating frame of mind tomorrow. I confess one of my little joys is seeing DGD (at less than 7) being like her mother was to her mother. DD says she can't imagine what 12 or 13 will be like and I just smile because I can tell her. And if she turns out as well as her mommy did, life will be good. But I don't envy anyone the teenage years, my own, my daughter's, or my granddaughter's. Hang in.

Can't see more messages from this page, so hi to all and banish those little cute guys.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:54 AM   #34  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Talking And then there were five...

Boy Monday left the premises last night:

We haven't been getting the snow storm here (I'm REALLY sick of snow) and today is supposed to be much "warmer" - maybe up to -7 (19 fahrenheit). I'm suffering from the winter doldrums, but hopefully this will ease up with the better weather.

I'm behind in my work, again (still?) which does not have a positive effect on my mood either, so I am determined to get caught up today, and then tomorrow will have more fun. Nevertheless, I've got to schedule in some "me" time or I'm liable to end up trying to eat my fun. NG

Let's take this day and do the best we can with it. Bye-bye, Leprechauns!

Old 02-18-2003, 07:15 AM   #35  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Smile Day 3

Mornin' dawns! (I think, the moon is still out there)

Banished one little greenie this a.m. Am aimin' for another!!

Kaylets, I work in a small town (BUSY!) library for a larger county library system. I have 12 years senority, and sometimes I feel that all this "training" is job justification for the higher ups! I know how to do this stuff. However they pay me for 3 hours time and I get entertained by the rest of the staff so......que sera I guess. We do book talks, tell stories and show new games and or crafts that correspond with the latest programming kit from HQ. This one is for March Break, imagination is the theme, so it's pretty easy. (The sword bearer steps down from the podium)

Hope you guys on the east coast are all hunkered down! Most of this missed us...we were on the outer "swirl" of it and got a little.

Am off to the treadmill, oatmeal, gym and then the States....gonna visit a friend and have lunch!!!!!!

Will update the greenies et al later.

Ceara
Old 02-18-2003, 07:44 AM   #36  

Smile Tuesday

Hello all!

State of emergency has been lifted but I am not going to work as I am dragging, achy and cranky. DH just negoitiated out after 4 attempts back and forth -- he's got the broom, shovel, blanket, 2 prs of sox, extra cans of blackbean soup ..... If he gets stuck somewhere or has to stay longer because of short staffing, he won't be forced to eat twinkies out of the machines.

As I watched DH fighting his way out to the street, noticed the birds streaking across the sky coming from almost every angle. I walked thru the house and see where they were heading.....my backyard!! That's okay-- When the snow starts melting ( 40 by Friday!!!!50 on SAT!!!) they will have to fend for themselves again.

Anagram: I was wondering about you when watching the news and they were asking for volunteers to get folks to dialyisis treatment. Glad your DH is going today.
Sounds as though your neighbors are true gems!!

We were laughing at ourselves for passing up more than one slowblower at yardsales this summer. Imagine the sellers are regretting putting the snowblowers out to sell at this point!!

My email shows someone else just posted -- let me open another window to see ..........Arabella and Ceara !!

Arabella-- I'm with you!! I've had my fill of this winter stuff!!
Here's to just getting thru it!!!!!

Ceara-- In New Haven, CT, Yale has MANY libraries, specialized by subject or by school. At one point, I was offered a positon ( after a summer of inteviews) and altho the benefits were amazing, just couldnt justify the pay decrease. A family member was "in management" there for a couple years too. And then, in fact, took a position at the MIT library in MA.
Always wondered where the path would've led if I had taken the position. Ah well...............

So forward we go .............

Today's thought is:

"Life begets life. Energy creates energy. It is by spending oneself that one becomes rich"--- Sarah Bernhardt

To today's best choices!
Old 02-18-2003, 09:45 AM   #37  
Empress/Queen

Smile Bob be outta here ...

Yowza! The sky is blue in the Emerald Isle and it is is in the 60s here ... this is not a gloat, I'm really sorry that all the colleens east of me be suffering the ravages of (shudder) snow!!!! Anagram, I was touched by your story of DH and the courage of how he deals with dialysis ... everytime I read about him, I petition a bit that he continues to improve and continues in strength.

St. (?) Amarantha looked early this a.m. around the unnamed emerald location where St. Patricia's Pledge is being filmed and sure and begorra, Bob be nowhere to be found!!!!!!!! Yesterday A. ateth a sensible 1830 calories (exercise was 50 minutes of "aerobic cleaning"). TWENTY-EIGHT IRRITATING s BE LEFT TO LOSE! In the wake o' Bob's departure, Cal be eyeing A with an evil speculation in his eye, muttering things such as: "She's traveling today, so I'll just whip into Walgreen's and stock up the shelves with Maple French Toast Twisters. She likes those and though they be healthy, she always buys two bags and eats them on the way home! I'm sure to earn an exemption from this manuever."

In A's version of the game, any that doesn't depart on schedule is exempt for the duration of the game, so A be girding her loins (not sure what that means either), fixing her traveling snacks and precounting them in order to defeat Cal and thwart his evil intention!!!!

A bientot. The yard man cometh!

Last edited by Amarantha2; 02-18-2003 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:56 AM   #38  

Smile Tuesday again

Empress- you are wise to be cautious!! Take all the "weapons" with you-- !! These "wee folk" ( and you thought all I knew was Erin Go Bragh!) think they can go unnoticed but you are a clever colleen!!!!

Don't forget---- NO Excuses!!

Enjoy the warmth for me today, my toes are numb from cold!

Old 02-18-2003, 11:43 AM   #39  
deleted2

All iced and snowed in again today---may make an attempt to go out tomorrow. If I don't work, I'm not paid! Started doing my more advanced Pilates videos today and boy, am I glad that I mastered the beginners first. If I'd gotten cocky and started with the intermediate I'd never have stuck with it. I LOVE PILATES--have I mentioned?

Punkinseed, I wish that I could go without my food journal. It's a hope of mine to let it go someday. [Or is it? 'Cause there are aspects of it that I enjoy...] It seems that if I'm not vigilant about writing it down then my entire program falls apart.

Wildfire, I'd forgotten that you have a teen. Oh my, when I think back to my teen years....let's just say that I was no day at the park!

Kaylets, I put out raisins and millet for the birds and I look out and there's Jubal [our blue tick hound] eating those raisins for all he's worth. You'd think we never fed him!

Ceara, my husband works at the local library, part of a larger system and sometimes they all get together for training and he always has the greatest stories to tell when all those personalities get together. He always says that a library is the perfect setting for a sitcom!

Amarantha, I don't speak any other languages but am fascinated by the similarities and origins of words. I think that if you find the "rhythm" of a language it might be fun and easy to learn. And speaking of Latin, I received some Hogwarts mugs for Xmas and under the crest is Hogwart's Motto: DRACO DORMIENS NUNQUAM TITILLANDUS and that means "Never tickle a sleeping dragon"! Words to live by, I'd say!

Old 02-18-2003, 02:48 PM   #40  

Like that for my motto, too, Eydie!

Sun is shining here now. Paid help still did not show up to shovel, me or two neighbors across the street. But neighbor was up again to take care of the inch or so we got overnight.

Dh has gone for a slightly shorter dialysis treatment this afternoon and will go again tomorrow. Took his trusty '89 Nissan, front wheel drive and easier to maneuver through the gap at the bottom of the driveway. Walls between 3 & 4 ft at that point, I think.

Not going to tackle anything much more today. A little filing maybe and maybe a bit of reading. Oops and my exercising. So easy to forget but I want to banish #3.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:22 PM   #41  
Is it Friday yet?

I can finally get on the site!!!

I swear, I was having palpitations earlier when I couldn't get the page to load!

I am so sorry for all of you stuck in the snow - and here we haven't had even an inch all winter. I enjoy the snow too, granted, not as much as you all have had, but this winter I haven't had even one 'sit on the couch and read while it snows' kinda' day... maybe next year we'll get it and you all won't!

Amarantha - I think it's wonderful that you're learning other languages! I know a smattering of Spanish, Italian, a tad of French and almost fluent in sign (not really another language, but still...). I have been debating on going and getting certified to be a translator. I'd need some brush up classes though. I used to live across from a woman who had 3 hearing impaired daughters - I'll never forget them, they were such sweet kids, and once they learned their neighbor could talk to them they were over ALL the time! I've heard once you get one language down the rest come easier since most of the words are related (learn Latin first, then you're set!)...

Wildfire - I do not envy your job as Mom to a teen. I hear my girlfriend's all the time about their pre-pubescent hormonal time bomb kids and it makes *me* crazy! I don't know how you Moms do it!

Kaylets - My woodpecker is a very pretty Northern Flicker. Sometimes I'll get a couple of them, but normally just one at a time. I do know what you mean about the birds - I think word gets out in BirdWorld that you have food. At times my back yard looks like a scene out of an Alfred Hitchock movie - then I know I'm the only one with bird food out!
I'd love to see a cardinal.... our most common are the mountain chickdees, dark eyed juncos, evening grosbeaks, !#%&* robins (they poop on *everything*) and my favorites, magpies, ravens and the occasional pheasant (to whom I actually said "what are YOU doing here" when I saw him fly though the yard). Since moving to central Oregon I've also been blessed to see 2 bald eagles! What a sight they are....

Anagram - I'm so impressed (yea, and inspired!) you dusted off the ski machine!

Arabella - Have you tried a sunrise clock for winter blues?? I had SAD *really* bad last year (like, scary bad) and invested in a clock that simulates a sunrise to wake up to and a sunset to go to sleep to. I LOVE it and this year I haven't had one weepy, massively depressed, semi-suicidal, GOD someone please medicate me, moment... WELL worth the $110.

Ceara - Enjoy your mini visit to the States! I always think it sounds so exotic to hear the U.S. called "the States" when they're traveling around - maybe it's just because I've never been OUT of the U.S.!!!!

Eydie - Yea, that's me too with my journal normally - but I've noticed a change recently. This is a test, only a test, and should massive food consumption follow this test you can rest assured we will return to the normally scheduled program (teehee).

Well, guess I should mosey. Gotta go get some directions for my brother before he gets lost in Chino, CA

Terri
Old 02-18-2003, 09:47 PM   #42  
Empress/Queen

Bonsoir Leprechaunless Lassies!!! St. (?) A be mightly struggling with Cal. He seems to have formed a coalition with Ed, Frank, Guy, Hal, Isiah, Jack to trick A week-long binge, but so far she's hanging in. Film at 11.

Punkin: I think thou wouldst make an awesome translator of sign language. That could be a very interesting field ... bears thinking on!!! Re SAD I can also chime (no pun on the clock intended!!) in ... quite by the accident of moving from one of the rainiest states in the midwest to Arizona where the sun be very close to the earth, I discovered that I felt about 300 percent less depressed most of the time ... began to realize that it was the SUN that did it! (Of course, the sun causes cancer, wrinkles, heatstroke and age spots, but one can't have everything)! The last few days have been rather overcast and it's starting to get to me. I think one of those clocks you have would really help anyone with SAD.

Re journaling, I admire thy experiment. I've journaled calories and exercise since I began my original 100-pound loss initiative. I've used various systems but now I do both a paper journal and spreadsheets, not to mention posting here. If I skip a few days, I get antsy. I dunno, I just sort of feel it centers me in more ways than weight.

Eydie: I think thou be right about similarities in languages ... although it is German that comes more naturally to me (I took huge amounts of it in college and my grandparents spoke it). Not much call for German in Arizona, though!!! I do so agree that it be folly to tickle a sleeping dragon, more so a wide-awake one!!!!

Ceara: Congratulatons on thy greenie banishing for the day!!! Hope thou had fun lunching in the states ... I once lived in Michigan and remember how neat it was to have lunch in Canada often. To me, it felt like international travel (guess it was, actually), but closer to home.

Kaylets: Not sure what the temp was today, but I used the AC in car for awhile ... now I have a space heater blowing on me ... I'm not sure thou wants any of this weird weather!!! Thou be right, we must outsmart those wily s! We also need to look ahead to the Easter challenge (my brother always tells me that on the first day of a new job or a new project I should start thinking about the next one) ... not only is this the day, this is the year!!!!!!!

to all ... where is Sennamay by the way (rhyme accidental)?
Old 02-18-2003, 09:55 PM   #43  
Empress/Queen

Hmmmm. Just noticed the post above was sort of me-me-me ... bad habit to always talk about oneself!

So, once again, to all and listen up: THIS IS GONNA BE A SUCCESSFUL CHALLENGE FOR ONE AND ALL, SURE AND BEGORRA! WE ARE GIRDING OUR LOINS, TIGHTENING OUR BELTS, CLANKING INTO OUR ARMOR! WE ARE NOT INTERESTED IN THE POSSIBILITIES OF FAILURE! NO EXCUSES!!! NO SLACKERS!!! WE CAN DO THIS!

Au bientot!
Old 02-18-2003, 11:14 PM   #44  

Mr. Sun was shining a bit today so I had an outside walk - on the street as it was the only thing cleared. Felt really good to be out of doors.

AND enabled me to banish one more of the wee folk - this is getting to be fun. becoming obsessed with the game will help me stay the course.

for tomorrow.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:04 AM   #45  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Angry Four leprechauns left...

I did well yesterday, although what I thought was a manageable indulgence in the afternoon (raspberry-filled Lindt bar - I figured the fat-free liquid content would make it lower calorie, but it turned out to be about 450. Luckily, I had enough points for it)

Didn't manage to get the work finished yesterday, so I'm sworn to leave the 3FC site until I have. DGS is coming over tonight, so I MUST finish! To this end, I'm going to find what I need to finish what I'm doing and then go offline until I have.

Amarantha, I know what you mean about the sun. I've long been convinced that people who live in sunny climes are happier! Dr. Weil one time reccommended that in the winter, we should try to get outside around noon, to get as many rays as we could.

Punkin, thanks for the info on that clock. I will definitely look into it. Do you get a dose of light with it, or does it just stimulate your body rhthms so that you're ready to be awake and asleep at the appointed times?

Our last place was on a river, and we had a bald eagle that flew past my window by the computer every morning at about 10.

Anagram, wish I had a ski machine! I've got a step and a Kathy Smith tape that I just tried for the first time. She said that it's the equivalent of running a 7-minute mile, and I can believe it. Because I certainly cannot run a 7-minute mile. The warm-up and beginner's section beat me. My step is too high for starters I think (about 8 inches) but doesn't go lower. I will be thrilled if I can ever get through that tape

Eydie, I empathize with you, having to work to get paid. How unfair! I also have to be productive to get paid. On the other hand, the commute is never a problem and I can work in my jammies if I want to...

Wildfire, hope that your knock-down-drag-out with DD is all settled (and that you won!)

Kaylets, hope you're feeling better today. I recovered from that cold on Sunday and then Monday woke up with what appears to be a new one. I'm still in the process of telling my body to reject it, though. Sitting here at the computer with a scarf wrapped around my neck because I've got a sore, scratchy throat. Seems to help, even if it might look a bit funny.

Ceara, I'm just beyond where the storm hit too, way on the east coast in Canada. My son and I were looking at the storm in NYC on television, and he said, "What are they doing with OUR weather?"

OK. NOW. I really am going to work. Let's make this a good one!
Closed Thread