Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 02:42 PM   #136  

Hi.
Welcome Kina. I'm just doing the walking right now too. It's something I can actually do and I'm walking farther and faster now than when I started. I'm curious to know what others are doing too. I keep telling myself I'm going to work in some muscle toning/building excersizes. Muscle helps burn more fat, we all know. Can't seem to get up and start doing it, though. I have a Total Gym I bought from a TV ad a few years back, but it just sits in my room collecting dust! I thought I might just start with some basic ab crunches though.
Jacksonmom, I posted to your walking challenge thread. It sounds like a great idea to me!
Congratulations to everyone who lost this week and those who didn't, congratulations on showing up!
I'm home from work today with my 10-year-old daughter who isn't feeling well. Poor thing. I'm feeling guilty about missing work. Isn't that ridiculous. My first job is to be a mother, isn't it? Anyway, she's fast asleep and I'm fighting like crazy not to raid the fridge! I can hold out until lunch time, but I'm afraid I'll go nuts then. I can just feel that kind of eating wanting to happen. Any suggestions?

Jen
238/233/140 (I might change this, I like Kina's mini-goal!)
Old 06-17-2002, 02:49 PM   #137  

Talking Hi ALL

Well I weighed myself Sat Morning and I'm staying the same. I am very happy with this since I met my goal for this month My family is at the airport picking up more house guest. My mother in law has been here for a week and now my sister in law and her daughter will be here for a week. By next Sunday they will all be gone and I can get back to my diet and working out. I will try to post more often once the house settles down. Well I best get some more cleaning done before they get back home.
Old 06-17-2002, 03:15 PM   #138  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Hi Jen519. Thanks yes I am new here. Communicating with alot of nice and friendly people. I have been very active in the SlimFast online community. I have made great buddies there as well.
I have been walking as a part of my own weight loss including my daily workouts with Denise Austin. I work the abs and buns area with various recordings of Denise Austin. I have lost the most weight that I have ever lost in just this one month. It is a constant battle but since making this routine a daily part of my life it has become easier to stick with it. Including the fact that I feel awful about myself if I don't get the workout into my day.

Somehow you need to give yourself pep talks when you just can't get yourself going. Tell yourself why it is best.

Thanks for mentioning my ultimate goal. Yes, my goal right now is get to 200 then go from there. Because I tried setting my goal at 150 a long time ago and just got discouraged that it never would happen. And now that i am so close to 200 I would just like to see that number on the scale and go from there. I would certainly like to get way past that but to say I want to weigh 125 pounds is just to far away for me to get motivated.

Kinarina
Old 06-17-2002, 03:50 PM   #139  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Default Here I am again

Jacksonmom where can I find your thread on the walking challenge? I looked under walking but I didn't find your name. Let me know when you can. Or if someone else can point me in the right direction that would be nice.

Hey Gennel I came across your before and after pictures...Way to go Cherrio! I showed my little girl (11years old my personal trainer). She said your after picture looks like it could be your sister. She doesn't believe that the after picture is the same person. She said you look GREAT. If I had 3 thumbs I'd give you 3thumbs up but since I don't I'll give you 2 thumbs up.

JacksonMom let know about the walking thing.

Bye.Kinarina
Old 06-17-2002, 05:08 PM   #140  

Default walking challenge

THe walking challenge is under exercise thread. I didn't know there was a walking thread oops. Anyway it starts today 6/17/02 and ends 7/17/02. THat gives us 31 days. I will still be doing this challenge I just needed the extra boost to get me exercising. You don't have to walk you can do any type of exercise. Hope y'all will join me. Can't wait till Thurs to post and begin the next wt. loss challenge. It has helped me so much to be accountable and get the supoort from all of you even though I won't make goal. I at least lost something. Talk with you later.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:28 AM   #141  

Default Sister's Gastric Bypass surgery

Sorry I havent posted an update ! Well sister here in FL had her gastric bypass surgery on Monday morning. This surgery takes 2 -4 hrs depending on height and frame of person. We expected a 3-4 hr surgery since she's very short. The doctor walked in the waiting room 1 hr and 30 min later to let us know the surgery was a success and it was over! She should be going home by tomorrow. Let me just say for anyone who might be considering such a drastic option for weightloss or if you know of anyone considering this..... It's more of a sacrifice than people think!!!
If you thought that losing it the old fashioned way of eating healthy and exercise was tough . Then you are in for a rude awakening! She will be on STRICT clear fluids for 3 weeks,after that creamy fluids,jello and popsicles.Meats will be added months later. Right now poor thing is drinking 1-2 ounces of water every hour or so.

Gen
Old 06-19-2002, 11:45 AM   #142  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Hi Gennel. Well here's wishing your sister a speedy recovery. I hear you about the sacrifices she decided to make. Not first hand I am too chicken. That is why I have been trying to loose this extra weight the old fashioned way(I guess you could say). Anyhow I am glad to hear your sister made it through the surgery and hope to hear she will make a speedy recovery.

Good Luck, Kinarina
Old 06-19-2002, 11:53 AM   #143  

Default Tomorrow! Final Challenge Day!

I'm sure you all know that tomorrow is the LAST day of the challenge!!! Since my Free Gym Pass was over Idecided to check out a Gym closer to my house that has NO Contracts! So I think this is the place for me. They have olympic size pool,aerobic room,spinning room(room for special class of stationary bikes)
tons of cardio machines!, weight room, nice locker room with showers and a day care for cheap! Well its gonna be 2 weeks this week that I've been going to Gym and I am seeing big results on the scale folks! I've lost a few since saturday so I am hysterical that I will pass my goal for this challenge! I'll post my final weigh in tomorrow morning...every ounce counts!
If anyone is wondering what has worked for me these past two weeks. I would have to say 2 things. Elliptical machines give you a TREMENDOUS workout!!! And Bally's Lowfat Protein shakes are the best. Ive been drinking these in the mornings and for lunch this week since Ive been toooo busy! Dont ask me how but Ive been waking up at 5 AM so I can be at the Gym by 5:30 AM!
I dont know where this motivation came from ,I am the "Queen OF sleepiness!" I have no choice now with the kids home for summer vacation , I dont want to drag them out of bed in the morning when they've been waiting for the day that they can wake up late ! lol
Hope to hear from you folks tomorrow

Gen
Old 06-19-2002, 12:11 PM   #144  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Question

Gennel, Can you explain more on the Elliptical Machines. I can't imagine what that is. And are those Bally protein shakes flavorful? Does it come in flavors? I have been drinking Slim Fast. But it seems I may have hit a plateau. I need to jumpstart my weight loss before I get discouraged and give up.

HELP, Kinarina
Old 06-19-2002, 08:38 PM   #145  

Default Shakes and Elliptical Machines...

I have done Slim Fast in the past as well! UGH, sorry but I hated the gritty sand,vitamin taste it had! I did lose weight dont get me wrong! But I had to drink something Ihated ! These shakes taste like smoothies. They come in Strawberry,Vanilla and Chocolate flavor (like slimfast) but that's where the similiarities end. One serving is 190 calories andyou DONT need to add milk ,only water. Trust me when I say it tastes like if it had milk! You can add fresh strawberries, fresh pineapple.... I just have the shake the way it comes, I do add 2 tsp fp Splenda sugar. These shakes are very low in sugar and fat is only 0.5 fatgrams! What I do is , make one shake at 5 AM using half of envelope ,6 oz of cold water,4 icecubes. Once you stick this in the blender it thickens alot and makes about 14-16 oz. Then around 10 am I have the second half of envelope in another shake. At 12 or 1 PM I have another. I have apples,tangerines,watermelon and my water in between these shakes. Then I make my usual dinner.Actually each shake is 95 calories since I make 2 from each envelope and I make about 2-3 of these a day plus my dinner. I've lost a few pounds since Saturday's weigh in so its working! lol I will not be drinking these yummy shakes because I'm afraid of a serious plateu so near my goal!
Ok now about those Elliptical Machines, go to google.com
and type in Elliptical machines and you can see exactly what they look like. You get an entire body workout with these as if you were running in the air or doing high impact aerobics but with very little strain on your feet.You burn double the calories that you doing fast walking . You average about 600-700 calories per hour. Today I managed to do 43 minutes on that monster.I think its still easier than a step climbing machine.

Gen
194/ ?surprise/130
Old 06-20-2002, 01:44 AM   #146  

Thumbs up

Hi,
I have lots to talk about!
I'm back from my visit with my in-laws. Bad news. My father-in-law, who is 85, is in the hospital. He has had complications following eye surgery. Not from the eye itself, but from being under general anethesia for five hours. He was very badly constipated and also has problems with his kidneys. He is OK now, but we were really scared for a while.
Just as I feared, I gained back my meager 2 pound weight loss, although I was good today and hope to save face by tomorrow.
When-ever I visit with my in-laws or my own mother I am reminded of how important it is to exercise!!!! I am convinced that movement is to key to longevity. And a healthy diet couldn't hurt. My old folks are missing out on alot of good times with the grand children because they can't be on their feet, much less walk for any length of time. My grand mother lived to be 101 and she walked, walked, walked!
And I hate to be critical of something that is helping everyone lose weight, but I wouldn't touch Slimfast or any of those other "diet" or protien shakes with a ten foot pole! I'm a bit of a health food nut/granola chick and I think it's healthier, not to mention cheaper, to make your own shakes with soy milk or yogurt. A banana, a blob of yogurt or some soy milk, some orange juice, a few frozen strawberries or rasberries swirled in a blender. Yum. And with my father-in-law having problems with his kidneys, that makes me especially wary of all that pre-made stuff. Pop a vitamin pill too, if you're worried about
that. And keep all of that artificial crap out of your body!!
Whoa! Thanks for letting me vent. It's "to each his own" when it comes to weight loss. The fact that you are dropping pounds is way healthy too!
Okay, it always helps to get a load off. Sorry, and thanks for putting up with me!!!
Old 06-20-2002, 07:58 AM   #147  

Angry Morning All

Stormy rainy day here, but i am still motivated...the scales FINALLY got below 130...On Saturday was the first day i saw 129~~~
Feels wonderful ...only 9# from goal now. Slow going but it's happening. So, GENNEL~~Put me down for another pound of F@T lost and gone 4-ever!, thank you!

~~Appleblossom~~ Sorry to hear your FIL is so ill. I'll send an angel over your way to help you and your family during this stressful time.
And it's fine to vent on here, in fact i think that is what makes the boards better. We all have opinions on things and it just might help another person. I won't take slimfast again, but i had a bad time with that, plus the fact when i tried to eat again, i had not learned a thing. Right now a shake as a substitute meal could work for me. And i have tried new things like the soy milk and found out i LOVE it , even on my cereal in the a.m.! Wish it were less expensive,but i still have it occasionally.
So when i make a shake i would probably try it w/that.

Well, gang can't stay on here long, weather is not good. Have a great OP day, and let us know the details on the next challenge, Gen.

bye for now,
thinlizzie
166/129/120

Old 06-20-2002, 09:29 AM   #148  

Hi folks.
I got on the scale this morning and I DID lose another pound. I don't have a digital, so I can't tell exactly. I probably look really funky, but I always move this way and that on the scale to see what's the highest it will get. If I do that each time, I figure I'm getting a more accurate weight or at least it's consistent. Anyway, I didn't make my goal of 8 pounds for the challenge, but I lost 6 and that's enough to get me going. I"m going to set a goal of 8 pounds for the next one too and this time, I'm going to do it. It probably sounds silly, but I can't wait to see the scale go below 230.
As far as the shake thing goes, I figure whatever helps me lose this unhealthy weight is good enough. Unless I'm going to start eating completely organic foods with no junk, I'm not going to let the fact that it's not as healthy as eating right stop me. I can't stand slimfast, but I can't believe drinking my Carnation Instant Breakfast in the morning is worse than my old way of skipping breakfast and then heading for the snack box at work for a Snickers or something around 10:00. Since I'm a single mom who is away at work from 7:00 A.M. til after 5:00 P.M. anything that saves me time is good. Sorry, Appleblossom, but I just can't see myself whipping up a shake from scratch in the A.M. or during any of those precious moments I have with my daughter in the evening! I agree with you, the best thing for our bodies is to eat right, avoiding preservatives and chemicals and eating those foods nature provided us with. I'm working toward that, but I've been a junk-food addict my entire life, though, and I'm taking baby steps.

Jen
238/232/140
Old 06-20-2002, 12:00 PM   #149  

Hi Everyone
I'm super happy that I finally get to blurt out my loss since saturday! I am positive the going to Gym everyday ,elliptical machines have giving me great results! I lost another 2.5 lbs so finally below 150.5 now at 148!!! Sorry to sound too excited but I am ! I will try to start the new thread challenge tonight or tomorrow. Im on my way to see my sister who is finally home after her surgery. If there are errors or I missed someone's final loss PLEASE,pretty please let me know and I will edit it ASAP:

Thinlizzie..Goal 8 lbs..Loss ( -2.2 lbs)

Gennel...Goal 9 lbs...Loss( -9.5 lbs)

Emaleyth..Goal.6 lbs.. Loss ( )

Boating..Goal..7 lbs.. N/A

Cj55....Goal 9 lbs... N/A

Grizzlyshick..Goal..10 lbs.. Loss( -14 lbs) Past her Goal!!!!
Lanaii..Goal..8 lbs..Loss ( -6 lbs )

Kermie..Goal..8 lbs.. N/A

Apple Blossom..Goal..7 lbs.. Loss (-2 lbs )

Wisconsin Woman..Goal 8 lbs... N/A

Manatees..Goal..8 lbs... Loss ( -9 lbs )

onedayatatime..Goal 7 lbs... N/A

Runnergirl..Goal 6 lbs.. (+3.5 lbs )

Sweetpea0407..Goal7 lbs.. Loss (-2 lbs)

Jacksonmom..Goal.10 lbs... Loss( - 4.5 lbs )

Jen519..Goal 8 lbs... Loss (3 lbs )

Msbillie..Goal 8 lbs... ..Loss (6 lbs)

cfblues Goal lbs... Loss (2 lbs)

munchieface..Goal 5 lbs... ( Just Joined )

Gen
194/148/130

Last edited by Gennel; 06-20-2002 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:16 PM   #150  

I stayed the same which is better than a gain. My total loss is 4.5 . Gennel put me down for 8 lbs. next mth. Just having a baby (4 mths. ago) by body hasn't got back to normal and it seems I'm always retaining water and having my TOM. Eventually it will get back in wack. But next month i will be exercising regularly so that should make a huge diffence. Gennel congrats on getting below 150. Congrats to all who lost weight .
Closed Thread