Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 09:38 AM   #571  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning from Atlantic Canada . . . sorry to tell you this but we are having a beautiful, sunny, warm (almost 50) morning. Never fear we'll get some of your cold stuff in a little while . . . thanks to the movement of the jet stream, we never seem to get to send our weather to you guys.

Have to admit, I've never heard of using radishes in place of potatoes. Think I'll have to go cruising the recipe sites, too. Afraid I really have a weakness for cheese . . . but not the low fat stuff, there is simply no comparison . . . oh, wait, I'll take that back . . . I honestly don't mind the FF cheese slices since all the slices taste like plastic anyway, guess you might as well eat FF plastic. Hmmmm . . . coffee-maker noises. Wonder if vinegar would help?

Congratulations and a great big for everyone who has reported a loss. And another great big for everyone who has lost but doesn't know it yet.

Have a great day, gang.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:19 PM   #572  

Red face

Hello Chickies - I'm B-A--A-ACK!! Had a great time in San Diego. I made dinner 2 nights in a row for my daughter and her friend and fiance... so it was pretty low calorie and everyone liked it. I made a split pea and barley soup one night, and a vegetable soup another night. I also made this wonderful salad with NO OIL from Cooking Light (a great magazine that I am now going to subscribe to. Here's the recipe:

1 15 oz canned pears (drained)
1/3 c. drained juice
1/3 c. white wine vinegar
3/4 tsp. salt (I think??)
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 tsp. vanilla

Toasted Walnuts
Greens of choice
Red Onion Slices
Goat Cheese (optional)

Smash pears and mix all until smooth. Pour over salad and toss!!

It is very cold here in Sacramento - 39 degrees - but it is sunny.

Thanks Jill for the recipe – cauliflower, huh?

Good for you LilyGrace – we all fall off. Now that I'm back home now - I don't want to exercise. Boo on me - i MUST EXERCISE - RIGHT?? I know, I know, i know.

Oh, I couldn't find low calorie recipe forum either - i checked out WW.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:53 PM   #573  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Chocolate Meringue Kisses
2 egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1/2 cup Splenda (Granular)
2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (sifted to remove lumps)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Fat Free Cool Whip (1 Tablespoon per sandwich)
Instruction:
TIP: MAKE SURE YOUR BOWL IS COMPLETELY DRY AND CLEAN OF GREASE OR THE WHITES WILL NOT WHIP UP ENOUGH.
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a clean bowl or electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Whisk at highest speed until whites form soft peaks that hold their shape when you lift the whisk. Add sugar substitute, 1 Tablespoon at a time; whisk until whites turn glossy and form stiff peaks that hold their shape. Do not underbeat. Whisk in cocoa and vanilla until blended.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Fit a large star nozzle into a pastry bag, fill pastry bag with meringue. Pipe 20 meringue kisses onto prepared sheets. Bake 30 minutes, until crisp and dry. Turn oven off, let cookies cool in oven for 30 minutes.Remove from baking sheet. Sandwich pairs of cooled cookies together with whipped topping. Makes 10 cookies
19 calories per sandwich cookie
1 total fat (1 g sat)
0 mg cholesterol
2 g carbohydrate
These are HEAVENLY, try them!
Bobbi
Old 02-16-2006, 06:49 PM   #574  

Hey Cheryl ... I'd like to have the taco soup recipe too! Sounds great! And in the next two days here in the Chicago area it is supposted to drop temperatures dramatically. It's pouring down rain today and I wish it were snow ... it is so pretty ... and this is just messy. Anyway, I'm leaving for San Diego on Sunday so what am I complaining about?

I don't know where you all get the enthusiasm for cooking but it sounds like you're finding some good recipes out there. I've never tried shepherds pie but my husband and I tried the SB "I can't believe it's not mashed potatoes" recipe (mashed cauliflower) and, well, I'm sad to say that we CAN believe it's not mashed potatoes. Oh, well ... maybe we don't have much imagination.

Bobbi, I think I know only too personally what you mean by the "coffeemaker noises" ... so that was really really funny. I needed a good laugh. Thanks!

Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement. You're the best. Joan
Old 02-16-2006, 09:16 PM   #575  

S/C/G: 188/169.5/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me
Hy, You've been on Atkins for 15 days already! You've proved to yourself that you can do it! Got a good book already picked out? I'm reading the new Stephen King "the Cell" right now. Starting out good, but you know how weird his books can get!

Freda

Thanks Freda Now on day 16 and still plugging along. I've stayed strict or "on" or whatever you call it. As long as I'm prepared ahead of time I'm OK - why I had to hit the grocery store today - all out of my Induction proteins.

You know I haven't read any of Steven King's book since I think "The Shining"!!! He's a great author but The Shining was so frightening to me I don't think I ever read him again -what a big weinie I am -lol!! I'll have to check out the back cover of "The Cell" and see if a scaredy-pants like me could handle

Hyacinth/Hy
Old 02-16-2006, 11:54 PM   #576  

Default Taco Soup

Chicken Taco Soup

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 onion chopped
1 (15oz) can chili beans in sauce
1 (15oz) can black beans
1 (15oz) can corn
1 (8oz) can tomatoe sauce
1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 pkg taco seasoning

In a large pot add chicken, season with salt and pepper,and cover with water, bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer till chicken is done. Remove chicken and cut into bite size pieces. Measure out 4 cups of chicken broth, return to pot with chicken and remaining ingredients. Simmer for 30 minutes. Season to your taste.Serves 6 to 8 Weight Watcher points is about 4 to 5.

Taco Soup

1 bag of Morningstar soy crumbles
1 onion chopped
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (15oz) can black beans with chilies
1 (15oz) can corn
1 (15oz) can chili beans in sauce
1 (8oz) can tomatoe sauce
1 tsp olive oil

Saute onion in olive oil till tender. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 30 minutes. Serves 8. 1 cup equals 4 points

It will be soup eating weather here for the weekend. At 6 tonight, we were -25, with wind chill it was around -50. tomorrow's high will be around -12, but with the wind it will feel like -30.

Joan....Enjoy San Diego...You lucky lady you!

Cheryl
Old 02-17-2006, 07:54 AM   #577  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning All,
Did any one else get that wind storm last night? We're still getiing some but I thought the house would blow away last night. We just got the huge tree beside the house cut, and maybe just in time! I had to sleep on the couch with my baby, benny dog! He's afraid of storms but he's fine if you're beside him. OK, I know he's spoiled, but he's my baby!

Some of you were looking for the Low calorie recipe forum. The low fat has all the calories listed. I think some of the others do too. And they are fun to look through! Don't know if I would make EVERYTHING but some of the things look interesting!

Linda, I like a lot of the low calorie things but I know some just aren't the same. Like the cheese. Sometimes it's better to have the real thing, just not as much. I've made it a point not to eat anything I don't like. If it's not worth the calories I won't eat it!

Surf, I love Cooking Light magaine too. I used to subscribe but let my subscription run out. I get too many magazines. Now I just pick up a copy at the library. Lots of good articles! Have you seen Tast of Homes "cooking light"?

Bobbi, The recipe for the chocolate kisses sound doable and yummy! My ideal of baking usually starts with "take 1 box of cake mix". But I think I can do this and coca is very beneficial. It's the good chocolate we're supposed to eat!

Joan, Are you packed for your trip yet? Surf just got back and said it was pretty cold. Dress warm, have a good time!

Hy, If you don't like gorey books I wouldn't recomend this one either! It's a traditional Stephen King book! I think the only one of his that wasn't was "The Green Mile" and Shawshank redemption, or is that shankshaw? Which was one of my favorite movie's ever! Made me see King in a new light!

Cheryl, Thanks for the Taco soup recipes. I made a lot of soup in the winter time and these are definateally going into my recipe file! Anything with those ing. has to be good!

Everyone have a good day, Freda
Old 02-17-2006, 08:36 AM   #578  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning all you wonderful, happy bunch . . .

Glad you had a fun visit in San Diego, Surf . . . Cooking Light is a great mag and your recipe would sound good . . . if I liked pears Don't know why I don't. I love almost every other fruit.

Now, your recipe, Bobbi, sounds really terrific. No pears . . . and chocolate is definitely better than any fruit.

Lilly . . . our temperature is about to drop drastically, too. Predicted high today is +10C (about 50F). Predicted high tomorrow is -10C (about 14F). I know, it's still pretty balmy compared to what some of you are experiencing.

I think almost all of Stephen King's books are scary, Hy. I love them. As a matter of fact I didn't much care for the one or two that aren't . . . the ones that Slim mentioned (The Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption). Guess I just like the gore . . . me and my warped personality.

I'm beginning to think you should have your own TV cooking show, Cheryl. Your Taco Soup sounds great. I'm going to try the one with the soy protein since I have a package hiding in the freezer waiting for a good opportunity to get out.

Well, I guess I'd better get on about my business while it's still mild (and, unfortunately, raining). When the temperature starts to drop, the radio is saying it will probably all freeze up pretty quickly.

Have a great day, everybody. See you soon.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:17 AM   #579  
Bobbi

Good Morning Everyone!
I guess I'm not the only one freezing my butt off (I wish). We're going to be 35 - 40 below zero today with the wind chills. Bruce just went out side to start the snow blower, we had lots of snow yesterday. Just wait LINDA, you'll get our Minnesota weather with the wind currents. You don't like pears huh? Yesterday I made a simple Sugar Free lime jello, added pears and pineapple and it tasted wonderful. You really can't taste the pears , they taste like limes. Maybe you just don't like the gritty texture of them but they are so loaded with fiber. CHERYL, I'm going to try your Taco soup recipe but will use TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) instead. Have any of you used TVP? I'm definitely not a vegetarian, we live off of wild game all year. Elk, Caribou, deer, etc. We proceed our own meat and don't add fat to our ground meat so I could use that too.
LILLYGRACE, glad you liked my joke! Today's joke: I'M GETTING INTO SWING DANCING. NOT ON PURPOSE. SOME PARTS OF MY BODY ARE JUST PRONE TO SWINGING.
Have a good one.........Bobbi
Old 02-17-2006, 10:36 AM   #580  

Default 58 year old female here and...

Im very frustrated because I have tried almost all the diets and haven't found one that suits me or works. Ive done WW, lowfat, lowcarb, calorie counting, you name it, and I probably have tried it. My problem is I do ok for awhile and then I get upset about something or maybe I don't lose so well and I ditch the plan and start another one. I switch plans to much. I just don't have the motivation, but I do want to lose weight. Well you can't have it all hey lol? Well I like this forum and would like to get to know you gals and get some motivation. I am one that never gives up and very stubborn lol..barb
Old 02-17-2006, 10:47 AM   #581  

Morning to all of you!

Well I think I spotted a polar bear in our lower pasture!! It's that cold here. We were all ready to leave for Fargo for shopping today and Jim had the car warming up for 15 minutes and it still felt like a freezer inside the car. Decided to stay home and see if it get's up to -12, and then we will go. Right now we are -20 and with wind chill -47.

Freda...The wind howled all night and my babies; Ozzy and Princess were cuddled in bed with us. Poor Ozzy didn't even want to go out and do his business this morning and I couldn't blame him!

The soup recipes are really good. I will post one later on today for Chicken Chimi that are really good.

Have a good one, and for those of us in cold country, stay warm.

Cheryl
Old 02-17-2006, 10:58 AM   #582  

Barb So happy to have you join!! Look forward to getting to know you better. I'm doing Weight Watcher, and I have lost 11 pounds since Jan 4th. Everyone here is so supportive, and I couldn't do it without them. So find a program that will work for you and we are here for you.

Cheryl
Old 02-17-2006, 11:51 AM   #583  
Bobbi

How does everyone get the colored ink on their posts? Can you copy and paste on this site?

Bobbi
Old 02-17-2006, 11:51 AM   #584  
Bobbi

How does everyone get the colored ink on their posts? Can you copy and paste on this site?

Bobbi
Old 02-17-2006, 01:24 PM   #585  

S/C/G: 188/169.5/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee
I think almost all of Stephen King's books are scary, Hy. I love them. As a matter of fact I didn't much care for the one or two that aren't . . . the ones that Slim mentioned (The Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption). Guess I just like the gore . . . me and my warped personality.

Yes, I think I might have to pass on the scary ones - I have a vivid imagination To put it mildly...

The one book I got is The Red Hat Society presents "Acting Their Age" and we'll see - I've never read any of the books. Just a guess, but I doubt they feature blood pouring down a hall or ghosts in the bathtub (I hope not anyway!!! )

Big

Hyacinth
Closed Thread