Old 03-02-2004, 04:19 PM   #241  

Hi All, It is nice to see other Canucks up here!

Igave myself a gym memebership for my birthday last summer. I was at 247. I have been working out and am at only 224. But I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroid. So it makes losing weight extremely difficult. It also explains alot.

I have been doing the Gi Diet for 4 months and only lost 20 pounds. But, everyone else has dropped more! Ain't it the way?! But I have gone from needing to stay at level one at the gym's cross trainer machine. Now I can go to level 15. So, some of the weight is now muscle. It has to be because I have lost more than 30 inches over all.

SO I focus on eating right, playing well and girls night out at the gym....

But, I am trying to give up coffee...the GI Plan vetoes it out right...and i do LOVE it so

Deborah
Deborah17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:50 PM   #242  

Hello Deborah!

Contrats on the 20 pounds loss! That's great!

What is the Gi diet?

M.
MeRoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 06:46 PM   #243  
A Mom

S/C/G: 227/206/147

Height: 5' 2"

Deborah, congrats on your loss, that is wonderful. What can you do about the hypothyroid thing? Can't you take medication for that? Jsut wondering. I'm also wondering what a GI diet is
Diana
DewCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:51 PM   #244  
northernclipper

Hello ladies

Deborah17 It seems like we all want to know what the GI diet is? Bravo on the 30inches that's great. Keep up the great work.

Trixi I glad to hear your still losing (slow and steady wins the race)

Krystal I weigh-in at ww"s on Thur or Sun and Mondays every fourth week I have a body measuring.(to see if I lost inches) I can't think of spring cleaning yet that will mean painting and rearranging furniture. But that sure is great exercise( the spring cleaning I mean)

I have had a great day today no weigh loss but I got into a smaller size pair of pants and they were alittle baggy. I couldn't stop smiling all day I must of looked pretty goofy I have been at a stand still for 3 weeks no weight loss so to fit into those pants earned me my goofy look.

I hope this week turns out great for all of us so cross your fingers and stay op.
northernclipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:02 PM   #245  
"I'm working on it!"

Default I'm Here!

Oh my gosh, I've been MIA from here for quite a while. I haven't had time to go back and read all the posts but WELCOME to all the new comers!

Well, my exercising is going GREAT! I registered myself and DH in a half marathon in May. I'm going to be walking it (13.1 miles). I've been on my elliptical almost every day for the past few weeks and have now started to train outside. Hopefully the nice weather will stay.

My eating has improved too. I think the exercising curbs the appetite. I have made a few slip ups but don't dwell on them. I had a treat of chips and dip the other night. Only ate a few chips, but the rest back in the bag and then grabbed 2 grapefruits to snack on. The chips didn't taste that great to me.

My weight has stayed the same, but I'm sure I'm losing. My watch and rings are getting big! I had to check my watch the other day to make sure I hadn't put it on the wrong hole cause it had twisted around on my wrist. Nope! same hole as always, so i guess my wrist is smaller And the rings I had to get made bigger a couple years ago are very loose. I did measurements today and I've lost a few more inches. So I don't believe the scale too much. Tape measure and the Pants-o-meter are a better way to see if I've lost weight.

DEBORAH--I'm hypothyroid AND have PCOS. Double whammy for losing the weight. I take meds for the thyroid, and ironically, losing weight will help eliviate the symptoms of the PCOS. I'm finding that exercising is helping. I try to eat similar to the GI diet. I stay away from "white" stuff and processed/refined foods. I 've been eating a lot of pineapple lately tho, and that's supposed to have a high GI rating. I figure it's better than chips. I won't give up my morning coffee tho! 30 inches is awesome--keep up the good work.

MeRoMo--Glad you liked your trip to TO.

Ok, gotta go. Just thought I'd better check in here!
Zanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 11:52 PM   #246  

Zanne: Great to hear from you again!!!. Who cares what the scale says if the clothes and rings get looser!!! Great Job on the exercise.

MeRoMo: The Sheraton is a four star Hotel that has great service and it is smack in the middle of downtown. I worked there for 8 years and my ex-MIL (like her, can do without her son) still does. Its a great place to stay. Its attached to the pathway which is an underground walkway that you can pretty much shop till you drop and takes you all through downtown from underneath the city (wow that sounds very total recall like) and I take it everyday.

Welcome Deborah!!!! All us Canadians are starting to finally crept out of the woodwork. This has been a great thread for me and hopefully you will find it helpful as well!!! Just like Zanne all those inches gotta mean something!

I was a really good girl today I came home and exercised, made dinner, showered, got the laundry ready for tomorrow, fed the aminals, baked a cake with my daughter and even had time to eat my own dinner of chicken soup with brocolli, onion, tomatoe, mushrooms (no carbs for me today) I am so glad that I cooked all my meals on Sunday it makes it so much easier to stick to my food.

I am tired and I know why today. Usually I am to beat to even think about doing that stuff never mind actually getting it done.

I have heard of the GI diet and thought about trying it but my body just hates carbs and there are too many on that diet for me.

Seems the week is getting better for everyone!!! Have a great night all!

Dale
Trixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 01:17 AM   #247  
A Mom

S/C/G: 227/206/147

Height: 5' 2"

Northern Clipper, you have every right to be smiling!! That's exciting about the pants.
Zanne, you're doing wonderful keep it up. pants-o-meter, I like that, and it's so true.
Wow, Dale, you sure were busy today! Hopefully that will be me tomorrow.
Goodnight,
Diana
DewCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 01:44 AM   #248  

Wow, Thanks for all the congrats. I am amazed by the friendliness. But then we Canucks are a friendly bunch.

I read the GI [Glycemic Index] Diet Plan book, by Richard Gallop, a Canadian, who was the president of the Ontario Heart and Stroke Foundation. Basically it touted a stoplight theory of eating. Foods in the Green light zone you can eat to your heart's content...you fill up long before the calorie count kicks in.

The yellow lights are things light banasa anad peanut butter that you can have sometimes

Red light items should be avoided at all costs...special occasions not withstanding.

There really isn't very many carbs, if you portion out your carbs properly...I spent two weeks measuring 1/2 to 2/3 of a cup, by measure not weight, onto my plate until I could do it by sight...I know because I check myself every once in a while....

You eat portein and carbs in tandem. This is the diabetic part as the glycemis index was created as a measure of a food's relative sugar, the 100% baseline is sugar itself, only maltose is more at 105%.....

and it is 4 oz of protein and 1/2 to 2/3 cup of whole or multi grain pasta, slightly undercooked, or basmati or brown rice. and salad fruit etc. the ratio Rcichard use it 1/4 of your plate should be protein, 1/4 should be carbs, and 1/2 should be fruit and veggies.... You eat evry 3-4 hours to keep your blood sugar levels even...again the diabetes thing....

My biggest thing was the pasta...I was eating 3-4 servings at supper with the day care kids! The next worse is the fact that you aren't supposed to drink or eat caffiene and I love my coffee...so this week I am finally going to decaf..... You can drink all the tea, clear, that you want.

Sorry if I sound like an encyclopaedia but I just finished an article on this very thing...It came out on Sheknows.com the same week the Diet came out in Woman''s World.... I am doing another on Low carb cheeses for them later this month.

I hope this helps with some of the questions you all had from my original post

and it it great to see you all

Deborah
Deborah17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:24 AM   #249  

Good morning all!!!! Its Wednesday and I am down one more pound!!!! Yay me!!!. glad I got the exercise in last night makes me feel if I don't do it in the morning (takes to long to wake up) than I can do it at night.

Going to be another busy day today and I must do laundry tonight or I will be going to work naked tomorrow and face lets face a one pound loss is not going to impress the commuters!!

Have a great day!

Dale
Old 03-03-2004, 12:54 PM   #250  

So I tried the "do you give a special rate to airline employees?" at the Sheraton in YYZ and was given a price of $199!! OUCH!! Don't think I'll be staying there!
Old 03-03-2004, 02:52 PM   #251  

I am sure I can get you a rate of at least half of that. I will make a general inquiry to my MIL and she what she says.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:32 AM   #252  
Gym'll fix it!!

Hi Everyone and Welcome to the newbies

Got home last night around midnight but seeing as we left England at 10am the "real" time was 8am it is such a drag i'll probably need a few days to recover and get everything back to normal..went out today for groceries will sort all the laundry out tomorrow and then discovered that i'd got that WORM BAGLE virus on my computer so spent most of the day getting rid of that i am so cautious about opening anything so it must have been from someone i know so now i'll be doubly cautious in other words i'll probably not open anything too tired to write much now so will see you in the morning.
cat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 09:20 AM   #253  

Angry

Welcome back Cathy! How was your trip?

So I was at the Ryan Malcome concert here in Halifax last night, and I've decided that I'm going to be the future Mrs. Ryan Malcolm you're all welcome to stand at our wedding!! Anywho...I was able to get some great pictures if anyone is interested...Also, Gary Beals opened for him so there's some pics of him too.

http://ca.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...bum?.dir=/4dba

Cheers,

M.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:14 AM   #254  

Just a quick note to say hi!! Todays scale said I was down 2 more pounds since yesterday.....I am feeling so motivated!!!!

I hope everyone has a great day and I will try to post more tonight after I exercise.

Dale
Old 03-04-2004, 11:17 AM   #255  

Way to go Trixi!!! Thats my goal for next week....2 pounds! I'm thinking it might be tough b/c lately its only been something like .4 loss each week...but its still a loss!!!