Old 03-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #1  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy Struggling to get back on track...

I've been having a hard time getting back on track since I went on vacation 2 weeks ago. Before I left I was thinking how great calorie counting is and how well it's working and how it's become a habit. Then I go on vacation, get the flu, come home still not feeling 100%, and now I can't seem to get on track.
I plan the day and pack a healthy breakfast and lunch for work. Go to the gym after work, then the trouble starts. I decide I don't want what I planned for dinner so I'll just grab something on my way home. End up getting something not so healthy and end up eating more when I get home. I think I'll just again tomorrow, then the cycle starts over again. This was the same thing I used to do. I need to break it!
Anyone have any advice or words of wisdom?
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 205/168/150

Height: 5'4"

Even though I live in Nebraska I read the Orange county register - I can't post links yet so you will have to follow me the best you can. If you go to the Orange country register site then go under LIfe then health and fitness. About half way down the page there is a guy named Ron Baer. The last article he has posted is

"This year, I will reach my health and fitness goal!
Personal Trainer: Think twice before talking yourself out of that resolution."

its a great article about why people get off goal and he offers a free magnet to put on your fridge. I emailed him and he mailed me one out (I just love that guy!)

but its like this:

See if you have ever said, "I don't care this time, because … "

1. I deserve it.

2. I am stressed.

3. I am depressed.

4. I am too busy.

5. I am bored.

6. I am angry.

7. I am sick.

8. I am celebrating.

9. It tastes good.

10. I'll start tomorrow.

If you have ever used one of these justifications (and I know you have) try this: The next time you reach for that little something you shouldn't, or you decide you're not going to get up and go exercise, ask yourself which one of the reasons am I going to use and is it "really" justifiable this time.

Chances are you will say "No, maybe not this time."

IT helps me ALOT
Goldm00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

Those are some great suggestions. I don't really have any words of wisdom because I battle on a daily basis. I live alone so I don't really have a problem cooking healthy when I get home as I have no other influences. I'll just say, be strong! You can do it! And think how good you'll feel when you've lost the weight. Being fat is no fun, so we need to do something about it!
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:25 PM   #4  

Even though I live in Nebraska I read the Orange county register - I can't post links yet so you will have to follow me the best you can. If you go to the Orange country register site then go under LIfe then health and fitness. About half way down the page there is a guy named Ron Baer. The last article he has posted is

Quote:
"This year, I will reach my health and fitness goal!
Personal Trainer: Think twice before talking yourself out of that resolution."
its a great article about why people get off goal and he offers a free magnet to put on your fridge. I emailed him and he mailed me one out (I just love that guy!)

but its like this:

Quote:
See if you have ever said, "I don't care this time, because "

1. I deserve it.

2. I am stressed.

3. I am depressed.

4. I am too busy.

5. I am bored.

6. I am angry.

7. I am sick.

8. I am celebrating.

9. It tastes good.

10. I'll start tomorrow.

If you have ever used one of these justifications (and I know you have) try this: The next time you reach for that little something you shouldn't, or you decide you're not going to get up and go exercise, ask yourself which one of the reasons am I going to use and is it "really" justifiable this time.

Chances are you will say "No, maybe not this time."

IT helps me ALOT
Old 03-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #5  

well shoot i try to fix the quotes and i end up posting again SORRY!
Old 03-04-2008, 01:46 PM   #6  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Switzie,

If you find yourself buying that take out food, here's a trick, take half or 3/4of it off your plate or tear half of it off and put it in the trash before you take one bite. If you can't stand to trash it, then bag it up and put it in the trunk of the car or where you can't smell it, then put it in the freezer when you get home. Go ahead and enjoy the rest of it, then go home and eat your planned dinner or a healthy snack and drink some water. It helps me to think of the calorie and sodium content in take out food, because there's hardly anything you can get that's less than 500 calories and about a 1000+ mg of sodium. That's going to bloat you up like, well, something bloaty , and you don't want that water weight showing up on the scale!

Another trick is to make a date with yourself, say your next day off, or your next payday weekend, you'll take yourself out for your fave dinner and maybe a show, maybe invite a friend, and live it up, but you can ONLY keep that date if you stay on plan the week before, and the morning of, eat lighter so you still make your calories, even with that dinner.

You may find that a protein snack before or after your workout will help avoid that feeling of hunger and keep you going until you get home. Sometimes, I'll eat a piece of bread, along with some lunchmeat or a little PB, to tide me over. The bread gives me that quick boost and makes the hunger go away, then the protein gives me the slow burn that keeps me going a few more hours, without blowing my calories for the day.

If you don't like those ideas, then how did you start off, at the very beginning? Look back and find a place in your personal plan where you feel you can "jump in" and start from there. It might be a step back from where you were before vacation, but it's a step in the right direction. You can do it, Switzie, just take it one step at a time, and you'll catch back up to where you were!

Cheryl
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195 / 147 / 145

Height: 5'9"

Perhaps you can plan three different and varied meals. Then, one is bound to appeal to you. For instance, you could have chicken thawed and be able to make fajitas, grilled chicken or Jamaican jerk chicken. Or, you could use your freezer to have meals nearly ready to go. I can make dozens of meals for dinner without leaving my house. My freezer is full of meals where I've made quadruple batches and frozen the extra. I also have tons of frozen raw meat in serving portions, frozen veggies, etc. So, if you initially plan to have grilled chicken and Mexican strikes you as good, have the fajitas! And, of course, lots of veggies, always.
LessEveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #8  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Can you leave your money and cards at home? That would at least force you to go home and eat or get money and go back out.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:10 AM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I like Gina's suggestion about leaving the money home.

You are sabotaging yourself every day, and the only way out of that is to stop doing it, make it hard or impossible to do it.

Step away from the take-out window!

Unconsciously, you may be thinking that you've been "so good" that you deserve "a treat." That kind of thinking will have you gaining weight in no time, never mind not losing!

Plan what to eat, and eat what you plan! Don't play this mental game...

Good luck! Hang in there!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:15 AM   #10  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

That's for the support everyone! That is why I love this site so much. I have my meals planned out for the day so now I just have to stick to it! If I have a moment of weakness I'll just get back on here!
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:56 AM   #11  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Goldmoon - nice post. Last night those blasted BBQ chips were calling my name -- and they had a megaphone folks -- and I remembered your post. I asked myself a different question from the ones you posted though. I asked myself how was I going to feel afterwards. I already knew the answer -- crappy. The scale's been stubborn for me the past 2 wks and just stopping and thinking about it helped me walk away. Thanks.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:28 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 177/134/132

Height: 5'5

Switzie, if you really need to eat something different because of the same routine, know how many cals it has beforehand. You can look on the internet under nutrition for most fast food places. See if it's worth it. I've noticed the food I really craved didn't taste that good afterall (for the amount of cals I've eaten) and didn't leave me satisfied for a long period of time, like a regular meal does. In other words, I'm hungry an hour later.

But a trick I use to avoid a problem situation, is to focus on something else. (Usually the problem arises when you're in an emotional situation... like you're unhappy or just plain tired and hungry.) Drive another way or get out of the kitchen and do something else. Have a list of things that would help you get away from a disasterous situation.

You are right on track about planning your menu. That's what I do, and when I need to, I substitute something else with the same number of calories.

Hope this helped. I've been there lots of times!
Hugs, Dena

Last edited by [email protected]; 03-06-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Den@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:38 PM   #13  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 235/194/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switzie6 View Post
I've been having a hard time getting back on track since I went on vacation 2 weeks ago. Before I left I was thinking how great calorie counting is and how well it's working and how it's become a habit. Then I go on vacation, get the flu, come home still not feeling 100%, and now I can't seem to get on track.
I plan the day and pack a healthy breakfast and lunch for work. Go to the gym after work, then the trouble starts. I decide I don't want what I planned for dinner so I'll just grab something on my way home. End up getting something not so healthy and end up eating more when I get home. I think I'll just again tomorrow, then the cycle starts over again. This was the same thing I used to do. I need to break it!
Anyone have any advice or words of wisdom?
Wow!!!! you sound just like me...before I got back on track!! I too went on vacation for 1 month, although I did my best to not eat a lot while vacationing...we were in Italy...its traditional where my hubby is from to eat pasta for lunch and dinner!!! You can imagine what that did to my body...OH man...the cravings...so when I came home from holidays (canada)...i had a very difficult time getting back on track...with eating healthy...bcs all i wanted was the bad stuff... It took me a long while to get back on track...the only thing that brought me back...was my memories of how good i felt lighter...and how good I felt eating healthier....bcs I really was starting to feel rundown and not good...eating anything and everything...SO...its taken me some time and ive been counting my calories again now for about 12 days...so far soo good!! I do a weekly meal plan and only buy the food in the recipes...and there is no unhealthy food in the house!! PLUS...bcs we dont eat out, fast food, junk etc...we are saving loads of money...and that money is going to go into the bank for a trip!! Thats our big treat! I say our...bcs my husband is trying to eat healthy too...although he is damn lucky...he can eat all the fast food he wants and not gain an ounce....BUT...he knows he feels better...I wish you luck and will be thinking of you!!! Id love to keep in touch!! You can do this...i know you can...if I can...you can...i binged for 6 months and gained 20lbs...i even convinced myself when I was gaining weight...maybe i was pregnant!! LOL haa haa haa...see....our mind works in evil ways...i wasnt prego...just gaining weight!! SOOOOOO>...yeah...im feeling for ya!! GOod luck today..and just take it day by day...with maybe a weekly plan...its working for me...and its not so daunting....week by week...day by day... Anyway...i can chat forever...sorry!!! Hope your day is going good!
mamac is offline   Reply With Quote