Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Old 08-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #121  

Good afternoon Sugar Busters... Just had a great peach. Eating has been good today. I hope I can do well at dinner. I've thawed out some hamburger to make patties out of. Think I'll have it with baked sweet potato and maybe a salad or cauliflower with it.

Solly- That stinks about the 10 lbs. Sounds like you need a new scale. I can't believe you still have the shingles. Ouch.... I hope you get to feeling better soon. Guess I must have just pulled my back out. But I think these awful pills are working. LOL

Guess I'll go and have a cup of tea.
Toni48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #122  

Hello Ladies!

My mother in law had to cancel her trip up here due to the death of a family friend. She was in Nova Scotia on a trip a few months back when the husband died, so she was not going to miss the wife's funeral. She will reschedule at a later date.

I had some good numbers in my blood sugar levels yesterday...I am hoping for a repeat today. I can't tell you why...its just weird. I will wait a few more days, and if it is not improving at least some, I am going to call the doctor.

My grandson is sick with some kind of flu. Poor baby.

This morning it was pouring rain, but my neighbor and I walked with umbrellas! Aren't you all proud of me? I felt so dedicated! AND it was fun!

SOLLY: I hope the shingles start to subside soon... ((hugs)) You have so much going on! Sounds to me like you need a vacation.

TONI: Mmmm...I want some fresh peaches!

COUNTRY: I love beans! I don't digest them all that well...but beans and rice is SO good!

I am meeting Tom for lunch today...first time in months and months! ...I better get off here and get going! I think we are going to a Thai place.

Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #123  

Its a beautiful day here in Missouri. For a change we're having wonderful weather for Aug. Can't believe fall is almost here. We're deciedeing whether to bring our wood stove in for the winter or try to just burn propane this year again. Its so expensive now and we can get wood for cheap. But its so messy. Anyway eating has been so so. It could be better. Right now I'm having a cup of hot tea and its so good. Thawing out a pork tenderloin to put on the grill tonight.

Ellen- Woopie for you to have better numbers..... I remember when you and Tom had lunch lots. Thats so neat. Hope your Grandson is better.

Hope everyone is having a great week end....
Old 08-29-2009, 08:20 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 170/170/130

Height: 5' 2"

Wink Hello to all. I am new

Hi girls. I just signed up for this web site. First I want to Thank all of you for all of your inspiration that you have already given me. It is funny how you can sometimes get it in your head that you are the only going thru certain eating battles. I do struggle with eating too much sugar and too many carbs. I constantly struggle with making the right choice. I always seem to be convincing myself that I deserve a treat. I think, when I was a kid someone was always making my decisions as to what to eat. Now that I am a grown up, I don't want anyone telling me what to eat. I want to eat whatever I want. But I have finally realized that I need to grow up and start making the right choices. I know it won't be easy giving up sugar especially, but I REALLY need to do it. I can totally feel the changes in my body when I eat sugar and carbs. I feel like junk. I know this, but yet I keep punishing my self. For instance, just today, I ate about 3/4 a sleeve of girl scout cookies. I now have a headache. And how dumb is it that you are satisfied for the 5 - 10 minutes while you are eating something, but yet you can suffer for hours afterwards. Not a very smart choice. Anyways, I look forward to kicking this sugar/carb habit with the support of your girls. Thank you in advance for that.
Juge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #125  

Hi Juge- Its good to have you on board. You will feel so much better when eating right. Hang in there and posts lots and ask questions....
Old 08-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #126  

Red face

Thanks Toni. I think this support group is EXACTLY what I need. I have realized that eating right, working out and making the right choices are really up to me. Yes you can have support in these areas, but I am the only one that can put something in my mouth or get out and get moving.

But this support group I think will be different for me. I have tried to have support groups with family and friends, but we were all too easy on each other. I think that this support group is something that I have decided to do on my own. And I feel like I can be completely honest with everyone here. Maybe because no one knows me. I have nothing to hide.

My first question for everyone is; What does everyone eat for breakfast. I feel like that is the hardest meal to eat well. For lunch and dinner, I can eat a salad, meat and vegetables. But breakfast is a stumper for me. I have been eating eggs, that come in the pour carton. They are 99% egg whites. I don't mind them, but I just don't want to eat them every morning. So I would love suggestions from anyone.

Have a great day.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #127  

Juge- You're sure right its your choice what you put in your mouth. It does really help to have a group of people that know what you're going through and are going through the same thing. Sorry the board is slow on the week end. But there's a bunch of great ladies here.

I eat oatmeal, cereal, fruit, yogurt, eggs, 100% whole wheat toast or english muffins for breakfast. Today is a 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg omelet with salsa and lean ham in it. Along with a piece of toast and a peach. Sometimes I'll eat leftovers from dinner for breakfast.

I try and follow the Sugar Busters book. No white flour, white rice, sugar, lean meats, plenty of veggies and whole grains, and fruit. If you don't have the book try your library or ebay. I've found it used at Amazon. Its a good way of eating.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:25 AM   #128  

Morning! After a sleepless night, I can't in good conscience add the good in front of that. Too honest!

Not sure what all is up today. I do have a friend coming over tonight to learn how to make tamales. We had a tamale party yesterday and all the kids were over. It was fun...they are not legal on Sugarbusters, so I eat them very sparingly...but they are pretty good, and great for freezing for the guys to eat.

One thing I intend to do today is make a batch of low sugar peach jam. I think making jam is SO easy! And fun! I use the no or low sugar pectins, and cut the sugar from 8 cups to 2. They taste fantastic! Nice and fruity instead of syrupy and sugary!

Juge! Glad to have you here! I eat cereal, eggs, oatmeal, or leftovers for breakfast. One of the best I have had recently was chicken and brown rice. Do you use the carton eggs for omelets? You can make frittatas with them too. I like making them because you can just toss in anything and let it cook. I usually put the pan in the oven or toaster oven (depending on the time of year...no oven in the summer is our policy!) to cook the top. I use cheese and mushrooms, and whatever else I have on hand that I feel like tossing into it. Turns out pretty good!

Last edited by Ellen; 08-31-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:47 PM   #129  

Darn I wish I were at Ellen's for a tamale making session. I've always wanted to do that. Well instead we're having spaghetti with pesto and Italian sausage and a green salad. Probably garlic bread for the hubby. Got beautiful weather today. The high was 72. You just can't beat that.

Ellen- You'll be tired tonight. Hope sometime you get to take a little nap.

Juge- Hope you're having a good Monday.

Solly- How are the shingles and foot? Guess you must be busy today....

Crystal- Hope you had a good week end....

Well need to start my spaghetti....
Old 08-31-2009, 07:18 PM   #130  

Height: 5' 7"

Default ((Everybody))

Howdy ya'll! My computer went down and I'm finally getting up and running again. I sure missed ya'll. The scales are still up...about 186 give or take a pound..errr But that's that happens when you aren't eating right. I'm about 50/50 on eating right. Some days are GREAT and others are not so good, not sweets but white rice or hashbrowns..those kind of things.

Welcome Juge! These ladies are the best. They have been with me through my downs and my now ups. Breadkfast around here can be very non traditional. We eat a lot of different veggies combinations. The other day we had asparagus, pepper, onions and eggs.

Toni...we are going to use a wood stove this year. Trying to keep up with the propane is a hassle and the stove that we got has a glass front so you can watch the fire and a blower to help spread the heat. Our friends have one and it works really well with very little wood compared to their fireplace. We are hoping to get more heat at a lower cost.

Ellen...hope your day is getting better. Those tamales sound wounderful. My hubby doesn't eat them so we rarely have them in the house. Me, on the other hand love them. My daughter's mother in law makes them every Christmas. I just need to figure out how to get on her list..LOL

Solly...hope you are having a great week. How is your foot?

The pressure cooker is done so I'd better get in there and finish dinner.

Ignore the poor spelling...the spell check won't load...LOL Now I'll have to look closer for typos.

God bless,
Crystle

Last edited by CountryMom4Him; 08-31-2009 at 07:22 PM.
CountryMom4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:58 PM   #131  

Hi Ladies. You sure do sound like a fun group. Thank you for all of your help with breakfast. I find it interesting that some of you eat leftover dinner for breakfast. I think I might try that.

I have a question for each of you. What would you say is your favorite legal sugar busters meal for dinner? I am trying to put a group of great dinners together. I really want to eat right, but it needs to be tasty.

I made an awesome taco salad for dinner last night and had leftovers tonight. It was completely legal.

I really need eat right this time. And I think I can do it if I put forth the effort of finding/making tasty meals.

I do have the sugar busters book. I need to dig it out and wipe the dust off and read it again. About 7 years ago my doctor recommended it to me. Dummy me, I went to the doctor back then in the beginning of December and was on put on the sugar busters diet for a month per doctors orders. Which made Christmas very, very hard. Anyways I did it. I lost 10 pounds in a month. I didn't cheat one time. But every since then I have pretty much been selfish with my eating habits.

Ellen I love tamales. There is this little hole in the wall in Indianapolis called "The Tamale Place". They have been making really authentic tamales for over 60 years. It takes them 2 whole days to make a tamale. They are out of this world. Yum. Totally not legal, but I will eat one every once in a blue moon.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions. Have a great day tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #132  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Good Morning

Sitting here with my first cup of coffee. The is usually just one cup but this may be a two cup morning it taste so good. I have a success to share. Last night I made himemade not from a box chocolate cake that didn't have the texture of sand and I only ate two bites. Now the frosting that's a different story. I did have a few licks, but overall a success with goodies staring me in the face. Supper was london broil I had put in the pressure cooker with crushed tomatoes, onions, peppers, jalapeno, cumin, chili power, garlic and salt served over brown rice with a side of corn/black beans with peppers and onions. It was all very tasty. There wasn't any meat left over so I'm gonna the left over broth and cook a small batch of beans in it for another meal without having to add extra fat for flavor.

I hope ya'll have a super day.

Love and hugs,
Crystle
CountryMom4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #133  

Hello! The tamales last night with pork were the best yet! I need to stop making them because they are NOT legal! There is no way around that corn meal! Honestly though, since I check my blood sugar regularly, I find I get less increase from corn then I do from wheat!

I am tired today...but I got up this morning and walked at 7:30 with my neighbor. It helps SO much to have a good, persistent walking buddy! Most mornings, if it were not for the threat of her ringing the door bell soon, I would NOT get up and dressed and out there! She has applied for a job, and its perfect for her so I hope she gets it. But then, I selfishly hope she doesn't!

Not much going on around here today. I need to go to the bank, so I better get moving!

Old 09-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #134  

Having my first cup of coffee too. I forgot to start the pork roast in the crockpot so guess it will be a tomorrow meal. Maybe tonight is leftovers. Has to be easy cause my Big Brother comes on and hubby gets home at 7 for his work break. I'm out of most of my fruit and need some so bad. Our little store in town didn't have anything that sounded good to me. Guess I have to wait till this Friday when we go shopping.

Crystle- Good for you. Resisting homemade chocolate cake is really something. You're getting stronger. Keep it up!!

Ellen- Oh no I hope you don't lose your walking partner. You're doing so good. I'm in total tamale envy.

Juge-Wow I love taco salad. I love chicken breast cut up on a salad too. Of course I love anything Mexican. Can't think of what my favorite meal is but I'll keep thinking.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #135  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Hi ladies, Sorry I have MIA Lots going on.
We have been busy here and then Sat my aunt passed away and that has been a fiasco. So glad all that mess is over. She is at peach and pain free so I am happy for that. Eating has been crappy to say the least. I start off good and then something comes up and out to eat we go and it's down hill. Plus this mess has had me down and that just adds to it all.

Toni, yes I still have some pain from the shingles. They are better but I believe it flares up when I wear a bra. So I try to go w/o as much as I can Hope your back is better.

Ellen, yes I am so proud of you for walking in the rain. I hope you don't lose your walking buddy. Sure hope your GS is better. That is so hard on the little guys. You are going to laugh, but the only tamales I like come from a can. I don't like the ones in the Mexican restaurants. And yes, I DO need a vacation.

Crystle, Beans again? WTG on passing up the cake. See, we can do it. Foot is the same. I go back to the doc on the 12th and we will see then. I sure hope I can ditch this boot.

Judge, Welcome to our group. It sure is a great group of ladies. Some of us have been around for many years. If we are not losing weight, we have formed a great friendship. I'm thinking on that favorite dinner yet. Ditto on the breakfast foods what everyone else said. I never cheated whn I started this WOE and I lost over 100 lbs. I gained some back during chemo and since then have never got back on the straight and narrow again. So my advice, don't cheat, it becomes to easy once you do.

We have yet another bid today, so I must run. Have a great day.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote