Old 11-25-2015, 04:11 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 203.8/135/135

Height: 5"2"

While I was out today, i decided to stop in at the GNC here. I have been getting the Quest stuff I've been using from Nashua, but decided to check prices here (exchange rate is over 30%!! ). I was hoping to find some of the Quest powder singles, but they don't carry them
BUT, they had the old Quest bars, quite a few different one. Buy4/1free. $3.49 CDN, which converts quite favorably to Nashua's price.
So I got 5 to try them. Checked them, no soluble corn in ingredients, and cal/fat/carb seem OK

So my question:
Are all the old flavors OK to use? Any not? favorites?
I may go back and scoop up a few more.
blueskiesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:28 PM   #107  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskiesahead View Post
While I was out today, i decided to stop in at the GNC here. I have been getting the Quest stuff I've been using from Nashua, but decided to check prices here (exchange rate is over 30%!! ). I was hoping to find some of the Quest powder singles, but they don't carry them
BUT, they had the old Quest bars, quite a few different one. Buy4/1free. $3.49 CDN, which converts quite favorably to Nashua's price.
So I got 5 to try them. Checked them, no soluble corn in ingredients, and cal/fat/carb seem OK

So my question:
Blue - these are the guidelines to know if an alternative product is P1 compliant...
Rules to use to determine if alternative product is IP Compliant:
at least 12 grams of Protein
Calories between 70-160
30% or less calories from fat (take calories from fat x 3 which must be less than total calories)
No Aspartame (you can search product sites to filter on this criterion so that you only get those products that does not contain this.
Unrestricted = 8 or less net carbs (Net Carb = total carb minus dietary fiber)*
*to be safe, do not subtract out sugar alcohols - this is a bit controversial to be to totally safe, I would follow the above
Restricted = 9 -16 net carbs (Net Carb = total carb minus dietary fiber)**
You can only have 1 restricted item per day.
Super-Restricted = 17 or more net carbs (Net Carb = total carb minus dietary fiber)***
*** 1 or 2 times a week, max
If you want faster results, do not allow Super-Restricted while on Phase 1 and limit how many days you have Restricted.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #108  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

Some of the older Quest bars were okay on net carbs and fat, but the calories were high - in the 180 or 190 range, which makes them okay for protocol, but restricted.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 300/294/175

Height: 5'5

Hi everyone! I am thinking im going to try a mixture of alternative products and IP products, so I have two questions.

1. What are your favorite alternative products?
2. Do you still lose like you would if only using IP Products?

edit:
one more thing!
is like 3 grams of sugar ok

Last edited by Rayasaurass; 12-04-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Rayasaurass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:26 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 212/125/140orig/130 chgd 9/5

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayasaurass View Post
Hi everyone! I am thinking im going to try a mixture of alternative products and IP products, so I have two questions.

edit:
one more thing!
Ray I will speak to what I know, I recently (within the last 6ish weeks) delved into alternatives and I have to say I am glad that I did- my pocketbook has thanked me - though I have had to be a bit creative as to why I am not buying as much as I used to from the clinic. Right now, my favorite product is the Quest Peanut Butter powder. In fact, right now, I am enjoying cookies made from Janevas cookbook- I added a little WF chocolate dip to the batter- I'm eating Reese's right this minute!!
I also like the Proti Diet bbq crisps. Quest chips are good, I like all the flavors- though the sourcream ones are my least favorite. You'll get a lot of GREAT feedback here. Read back through the threads. Lots of answers to things you've yet to think about.
Destony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:15 PM   #111  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskiesahead View Post

So my question:
Have you ever ordered from the low carb Grocery store? It's Canadian. Quest bars and powders, eas shakes and low carb pancake mix. Gum too. Spend over 100 and free shipping. They used to have a promo if you liked them on Facebook too.
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:11 AM   #112  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayasaurass View Post

edit:
one more thing!
Hi Ray - my favorite alternatives are as follows:
- Quest protein powders as they are great for baking and a variety of flavor so to switch things up as well as ability to make bread with multi-purpose one. I only recently learned about using a waffle maker to make bread and waffles so this has added even more variety and enjoyment using these so I make cookies, muffins, bread, French toast, pudding, ice cream and waffles with these powders. My next favorite is Healthsmart Hot Chocolate (aspartame free) and I also like Healthsmart oatmeal - I will make oatmeal, muffins, and cookies with the mixture.

2 - my losses the 2nd time doing IP, where I incorporated alternatives and macronutrients tracking/meal planning, has actually been slightly better than the first time doing IP, where I did IP products only and did not do macro tracking/planning and just strictly followed protocol with no deviation. I have lost 8 more pounds at this stage than 1st time at this point having lost 50 pounds with 10 left to goal.

Sorry, I can't answer your last question as it is a bit out of context. Not sure what you mean by 3 g of sugar. I don't know if you are talking about total macros in a day having 3 g of sugar or if you are looking at a single product whose nutritional label reflects that. If you elaborate we should be able to help you.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:48 AM   #113  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDip View Post
Have you ever ordered from the low carb Grocery store? It's Canadian. Quest bars and powders, eas shakes and low carb pancake mix. Gum too. Spend over 100 and free shipping. They used to have a promo if you liked them on Facebook too.
Thanks chip - when I started adding alternatives, I looked at some Canadian suppliers, but even with the exchange rate it's still cheaper to order from US. I have a US mailing address so that helps. But thanks for the link, I'm sure there are more of us Canadians here, so maybe someone else will be happy for the info.

(ETA: the reason I got the Quest bars at the Canadian GNC is that they still had the old formula ones, all the online places only have the new formula)

Ray - I've only recently added alternatives, but have tried a bunch; agree about Quest, so versatile and tastes good, either as a shake, but as Ro said, great for baking.
I also really like Proti-thin drinks/puddings (choc and caramelcafe)- order from Nashua. What I did was order a bunch of different samples from Nashua, I'd reccommend that to see what you like.

Now, I have to qualify my answer about losses, since it's only been recently that I've added alternatives, but I haven't noticed any difference to losses since adding them. Lots of people here have used them successfully.
Good luck!

Last edited by blueskiesahead; 12-06-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #114  

Just wondering if anyone has tried making their own protein soup with the Quest MP? Thinking you could make it with chicken or beef broth, whatever veggies you want and the Quest MP. Maybe add the Quest MP when you are ready to have a serving?
mamacitaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:37 PM   #115  

Just in case anyone was wondering, I used the Quest MP in a broth soup and it was ok. It made the soup look like a cream soup vs a broth soup and I didn't add it until I was ready to eat the soup. I did not add it when cooking the soup. The flavor wasn't quite where I wanted it with the soup, so I'll pay closer attention to that next time.
mamacitaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:03 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

mama - glad you are experimenting with that and it sounds like it was semi-successful...I've never been a big fan of soups unless I'm sick...chili is a different story
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:12 PM   #117  

Default Ideal Protein - Phase 1

Hello all!
I have a few questions that I am hoping I can get some help with...
I am currently on Ideal Protein, Phase I. However, my job takes me to various places, and I basically live in my truck or motels. I have completed 1 week of IP (after a longish hiatus), and am down 5 pounds. However, I am in a community with no IP services, and have ran out of food. Is there any protein drink or powder out there that I can substitute for the packages? I have some Premier Protein premixed drinks that have: 160 calories, .5g saturated fat, 340mg sodium, 280 potassium, 6g carbs, 30g protein.Would this be an acceptable replacement until I can get some more IP?
Since I am all over the place, I also have no IP coach (no coach seems to want to help me since I am not 'committed' to their facility), so I may be posting lots of questions!
allibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:16 AM   #118  

S/C/G: 212/125/140orig/130 chgd 9/5

Hi Allibum-If you read through this entire thread, along with the ones prior you will find all kinds of information as to what you can and cannot have. I dabble in a limited amount of alternative products but there are others on here who have done the entire diet with only alternatives. They are the experts who will be able to provide so much more information to you than I can- but a couple of quick tidbits- be VERY careful od Quest bars- most all now exceed P1 guidelines-except the lemon one I believe (unless you can find old stock) I use the Quest protein powders for shakes- they are delicious and their chips are also P1 compliant. I wish you lots of success!! Again, read through the thread- you will find everything you need ☺
Destony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:14 PM   #119  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by allibum View Post
Hello all!
I am currently on Ideal Protein, Phase I. However, my job takes me to various places, and I basically live in my truck or motels. I have completed 1 week of IP (after a longish hiatus), and am down 5 pounds. However, I am in a community with no IP services, and have ran out of food. Is there any protein drink or powder out there that I can substitute for the packages? I have some Premier Protein premixed drinks that have: 160 calories, .5g saturated fat, 340mg sodium, 280 potassium, 6g carbs, 30g protein.Would this be an acceptable replacement until I can get some more IP?
Since I am all over the place, I also have no IP coach (no coach seems to want to help me since I am not 'committed' to their facility), so I may be posting lots of questions!
Ro22 shared info re a virtual coach who sells product online - coaching seems reasonably priced - I have not checked the product prices yet but here is her holiday deal. - maybe you and I could reach out to her together and get the deal..... Private message me if you are interested and I will give you my phone number so we can coordinate. Here is the info on the deal. You can check the website for more info.

Happy Holidays -- For You and a Friend

Refer a friend between now and December 18th
Your friend will get $50 off the Initial Consultation*
You will receive $100 credit toward Ideal Protein products and supplements**

*Your friend must pay prior to December 18, 2015 for the protocol and book an Initial Consultation for a date in January 2016. NO REFUNDS! This is a rock-solid commitment!

**You receive $100 credit good between January 2 through January 31, 2016.

Call Coach Joyce at 617-666-1122 or email [email protected]
www.TotalWellCoach.com

Also I find the Quest chips and a bagged salad to be a good portable P1 meal. I make up some apple cider vinegar dressing (equal parts vinegar and water) with stevia and seasonings, no oil. I have small ziplock containers that are Air tight to haul around the dressing. All this goes into my backpack for those days when I am out and about. You can buy the chips by the case at GNC for a good price if you are a GNC member.

Linda is right about the quest bars - but it seems they are doing some more work on reformulation based on all the outraged feedback we gave me re the fat and calorie increases. Maybe we will get a good P1 alternative back on the shelves before too long.

Lemme know right away if you want to go for the holiday deal - gotta call and sign up by Friday 12/18!
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:35 PM   #120  

Quote:
Originally Posted by allibum View Post
Hello all!
If you can't get the IP products, there are lots of good alternatives. A good online source is nashuanutrition.com. Or GNC stores if there are any near your travels.
My favorite alternate products are the Quest powders and Proti-thin skakes/puddings. Also Syntrax nectar powders. You can get these from Nashua - they also sell single sample sizes, which is great if you want to see if you like them. GNC has the Quest powders. And some people like the EAS Carb Advantedge shakes - these are in Walmart, grocery stores, lots of places. The Quest powders are very versatile - they are good as shakes, of course, but you can also use them to make bread, muffins, cookies, pancakes, all easy to take with you on the road.
Hope this helps

Oh, I almost forgot- the premier protein you mentioned is OK, except it is very high in protein; if you have 1/2 to 2/3, it would be Ok.