Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #286  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

I'm not sure whether Rexall Drugs is coast to coast in Canada? or whether their marketing/sales 'deals' are applicable at all locations, or decided locally, BUT - when I was at my local Rexall drugstore this afternoon I checked the protein bar counter and found they have a 2 for 1 sale on boxes of ProtiThin protein bars. Each box has 5 bars, so you end up getting 10 bars for $10.99 which is a very good deal. I got Caramel & Peanut Fusion which is very yummy. Remember to check the nutritional values - a couple are a bit higher in net carbs than the others. I believe Caramel & Peanut Fusion was the lowest net carbs. I love it - I've found a new favorite.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #287  

S/C/G: 182/136.4/130

Height: 5' 5.5"

Good afternoon. For anyone who is purchasing the ProtiDiet food in Canada, where are you buying it fro? With ProtienWell no longer in the picture I'm worried the shipping fees & Custom fees will be quite expensive
Old 01-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #288  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin4me View Post
Good afternoon. For anyone who is purchasing the ProtiDiet food in Canada, where are you buying it fro? With ProtienWell no longer in the picture I'm worried the shipping fees & Custom fees will be quite expensive
We Canadians are definitely going to miss proteinwell.ca. I keep hoping that it's just some sort of website 'revamp' but can't see why they'd liquidate all their products in order to do that.

I'm probably going to occasionally at least buy some soups and oatmeals from my local Dr. Bernstein's Clinic. They also sell RTDs. I'm trying to wean myself off of sweet stuff like the puddings and bars anyway, so will just rely on the ones that I know are ok and available at my local drug stores and Popeye Supplement stores. I'll use my chocolate tofu mousse recipe occasionally as a substitute for the puddings. I'm also going to experiment with making home-made 'vegetable protein' soups, by adding unflavored protein powder (which I buy from my local health food store) to a vegetable based puree. All in all, I think I'll gradually move into more of a Phase2 eating plan until such time as I phase out.

If you look around www.thelowcarbgrocery.com and www.lowcarbcanada.com you can find pancake mixes and cereals that are decent substitutes. Just thoroughly compare the nutritional values to those of the IP item that you're replacing.

Other than that I guess we'll have to resort to paying those shipping and customs fees and buying through www.nashuanutrition.com and the other American sources.

Last edited by evepet; 01-31-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #289  

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
We Canadians are definitely going to miss proteinwell.ca. I keep hoping that it's just some sort of website 'revamp' but can't see why they'd liquidate all their products in order to do that.

I'm probably going to occasionally at least buy some soups and oatmeals from my local Dr. Bernstein's Clinic. They also sell RTDs. I'm trying to wean myself off of sweet stuff like the puddings and bars anyway, so will just rely on the ones that I know are ok and available at my local drug stores and Popeye Supplement stores. I'll use my chocolate tofu mousse recipe occasionally as a substitute for the puddings. I'm also going to experiment with making home-made 'vegetable protein' soups, by adding unflavored protein powder (which I buy from my local health food store) to a vegetable based puree. All in all, I think I'll gradually move into more of a Phase2 eating plan until such time as I phase out.

If you look around www.thelowcarbgrocery.com and www.lowcarbcanada.com you can find pancake mixes and cereals that are decent substitutes. Just thoroughly compare the nutritional values to those of the IP item that you're replacing.

Other than that I guess we'll have to resort to paying those shipping and customs fees and buying through www.nashuanutrition.com and the other American sources.
Thanks for the info, I was counting my packs to see if I could make it without getting more but with the slow weight lose it looks as though I'm short and will have to find a different resource
Old 02-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #290  
Restarting IP 100%

S/C/G: 272/see signature/165

Height: 5.6

Yeah! It sucks that proteinwell.ca no longer sells anything anymore

Anyway, I ordered from Nashua a couple of times before but indeed, by paying duty it get a little more expensive then from proteinwell!

I looked into the Low Carb Grocery site and I took time to compare the products, and while there isn't as much choice as Nashua, I was able to find some nice alternatives and here I am posting my findings to make it easier for everyone to look them up if interested:

Smaps All Natural Soy Cereal Sweet Maple
Sugar Free Pancake and Waffle Mix
ChocoRite Protein Powder - CAPPUCCINO
Hi-Lo Cereal Strawberry
Nutlettes All Natural Whole Soy Cereal

So most of these products are breakfast item, and to me this is when I like to have my restricted item!

I also found some good soups on this site, the Pro Energy soups, except that the price for me was not good, it comes out to about $3 per soup, which is still less than IP but with me on EI for now looking for a job, I'd rather keep my packets preferably between $1-1.50 to a maximum of $2 if I really like the taste.

Also, all the Walden Farm products.

Hope this helps.

If anyone can share what they buy from http://www.lowcarbcanada.ca that would be great.

Thank you everyone.

Last edited by sandralosingweight; 02-02-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #291  
Restarting IP 100%

Quote:

Hi,

Can you please share with me how you prepare your chocolate tofu mousse recipe please?

I will share how I prepare mine: I use the non flavoured gelatine packs, I prepare the gelatin as described on the box: sprinkle the pack over 1/4 cup of water then add 1/4 cup of boiling water and dissolve, meanwhile I prepare my protein whey powder into a shake, I do two portions cause the gelatin is good for two cups, I add some flavourings such as orange essence, vanilla, or else and lately I tried to add a little bit of cocoa powder since I don't like the taste of my chocolate protein whey powder that I have (not sure if it is IP approved to add cocoa powder though, so you can skip this), I add the protein shake to the gelatin and let cool in the fridge till it is firm, and that's it.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #292  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandralosingweight View Post
Hi,

Can you please share with me how you prepare your chocolate tofu mousse recipe please?

I will share how I prepare mine: I use the non flavoured gelatine packs, I prepare the gelatin as described on the box: sprinkle the pack over 1/4 cup of water then add 1/4 cup of boiling water and dissolve, meanwhile I prepare my protein whey powder into a shake, I do two portions cause the gelatin is good for two cups, I add some flavourings such as orange essence, vanilla, or else and lately I tried to add a little bit of cocoa powder since I don't like the taste of my chocolate protein whey powder that I have (not sure if it is IP approved to add cocoa powder though, so you can skip this), I add the protein shake to the gelatin and let cool in the fridge till it is firm, and that's it.
The recipe is on my blog - link below. Also, you ask in an earlier post if we'd be good enough to share what we've bought from thelowcarbgrocery.com. That info is also all on my blog. I've experimented with using gelatin in it too, but find it faster and easier to use the version I included in my blog post. Just look under the tab 'Ideal Protein Diet Recipes' and scroll down - it's called 'Tofu Chocolate Mocha Mousse' there.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #293  
Restarting IP 100%

Quote:
The recipe is on my blog - link below. Also, you ask in an earlier post if we'd be good enough to share what we've bought from thelowcarbgrocery.com. That info is also all on my blog. I've experimented with using gelatin in it too, but find it faster and easier to use the version I included in my blog post. Just look under the tab 'Ideal Protein Diet Recipes' and scroll down - it's called 'Tofu Chocolate Mocha Mousse' there.
Hi,

I just looked at the recipe, it seems delicious, do you think I can do it with the normal tofu instead of silken tofu, I believe it is way less expensive than the silken one?

I asked for Ipers to share what they buy from http://www.lowcarbcanada.ca not from thelowcarbgrocery, I just shared my findings from thelowcarbgrocery, but was wondering if anyone who buys from http://www.lowcarbcanada.ca can tell me about their findings.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #294  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandralosingweight View Post
Hi,

I just looked at the recipe, it seems delicious, do you think I can do it with the normal tofu instead of silken tofu, I believe it is way less expensive than the silken one?

I asked for Ipers to share what they buy from http://www.lowcarbcanada.ca not from thelowcarbgrocery, I just shared my findings from thelowcarbgrocery, but was wondering if anyone who buys from http://www.lowcarbcanada.ca can tell me about their findings.
At my supermarket the normal and silken tofus are the same price. I've never tried it with the normal, so don't really know.

Sorry - I misread your earlier post. I did order a few things from lowcarbcanada quite a while ago, but can't even recall now what most of them were! I do recall getting some of their 'Cup O Meal Chili' and 'Cup O Meal Spaghetti'. It was ok - not great. I didn't reorder. It was best when I mixed it with some cooked peppers, celery, onion, etc. Kind of bland on it's own. They substituted a few things in that order with other items that weren't a good as good a 'fit' for the diet, which I found disappointing and irritating. That turned me off of them, and I stuck with thelowcarbgrocery for the rest of my orders.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #295  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for sharing these great ideas. I found at the Rexall EXTEND bars for diabetics and the carb count IS pretty high BUT it says it has 3gNET carbs because they take off the fibre, sugar alcohols, glycerine and uncooked corn starch. I WANT to be a believer, as that would be SO awesome -- a non-restricted delicious bar. I know they can't advertise if it's not true. BUT the skeptic in me says "if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is"

So I keep them for a restricted treat. They're like an EATMORE chewy bar
Old 02-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #296  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
Thanks for sharing these great ideas. I found at the Rexall EXTEND bars for diabetics and the carb count IS pretty high BUT it says it has 3gNET carbs because they take off the fibre, sugar alcohols, glycerine and uncooked corn starch. I WANT to be a believer, as that would be SO awesome -- a non-restricted delicious bar. I know they can't advertise if it's not true. BUT the skeptic in me says "if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is"

So I keep them for a restricted treat. They're like an EATMORE chewy bar
Really? I LOVE eatmores! Do you mind providing the ingredient listing -carbs, proteins, etc. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #297  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I went down to rexall. The bars I found are actaully calle ProtiLife.
Not sure if that is the same as Protidiet or Protithin but they also come from Quebec. As I look more and more at the nurtional info I am being to suspect that the proti products, Dr B and Ip are all coming from the same source in Quebec.

I picked the ProtiLife Chocolate Crunch Cereal bars and came home and looked on the IP restriced list. I looked at the carmel peanut IP numbers. They both have 160 cals. The protilife ones have a gram more of prtein at 16 grams. At first glance it seemed the protilife was higher in carbs at 19 carbs but it has more fibre at 4 grams so that brings it to 14 grams of carbs. The surprising thimg is that the protilife is lower in fat at 4 grams.
So I will keep an eye at Rexall and try more of these. I don't know about the taste yet because I have had my restricted for today already but I'd be surprised if they are different from Protithin.

Oh the bars were not on sale, just one pack for $10.99.

Last edited by patns; 02-02-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #298  

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
I went down to rexall. The bars I found are actaully calle ProtiLife.

Oh the bars were not on sale, just one pack for $10.99.
Thanks for the info Pat, how many are in a package as protidiet has 7 for about $14, course detour bars from costco work out to 99cents and are more filling

Bet it was a nice walk along Jasper today though - we had nice big fluffy flakes all day but warmer yet at -6
Old 02-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #299  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Really? I LOVE eatmores! Do you mind providing the ingredient listing -carbs, proteins, etc. Thanks!

cal 150 fat 3g, carbs 21g, protein 11g, fibre 5, sugar alcohol 6g

It SOUNDS scary at 21g carbs, but the box says when you subtract the glycerine, uncooked cornstarch etc. it's ONE g NET CARBS and that it helps control blood sugar for up to 9 hours.

See what I mean about "too good to be true"? LOL

The other bar I'm enjoying is an ISOFEMME bar from Shoppers.
cal 140 fat 4.5g, carbs 13g, fibre 1, sugar alcohol 10g, protein 15g

Last edited by IP43; 02-02-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #300  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Thanks for the info Pat, how many are in a package as protidiet has 7 for about $14, course detour bars from costco work out to 99cents and are more filling

Bet it was a nice walk along Jasper today though - we had nice big fluffy flakes all day but warmer yet at -6
They only have 5 in a pkg. I do use the Detour bars a lot but find they have a strong protein aftertaste. I also use the Premier Nutrition RTD chocolate shakes. I really like the taste of those and are very filling.

Jasper was quite sloppy underfoot but -6 was much better than -30!
Closed Thread