Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #166  

S/C/G: 182/146/130

Height: 5'3"

I have changed my ticker! If I am stuck at the last 10(ish) lbs then I guess I should lose more! Does that make any sense at all!
Old 02-05-2011, 05:44 AM   #167  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegsi View Post
I have changed my ticker! If I am stuck at the last 10(ish) lbs then I guess I should lose more! Does that make any sense at all!
It does to me. Kind of convoluted mind fooling, but if it works. . . .
Old 02-05-2011, 05:50 AM   #168  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Thanks to everyone. I'm OK, honestly, or I wouldn't have written. And today's x-rays showed no infection. That would have been the last straw.

And even discounting the fact that I always seem to do things in the most dramatic or extreme fashion, I really wanted to write to you all as a warning, epecially because some of us here have been on IP pretty strictly for a long time. Even when my coach told me to take a break, I never ate anything that wouldn't have worked for phase two or three, and always in small portions.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #169  
CBG

S/C/G: 196/163/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs7 View Post
I JUST ABOUT DROPPED TO THE FLOOR...THE SIZE 8 JEANS THAT I PURCHASED TWO WEEKS AGO (NO STRETCH AND NO GIVE) WENT ON FLAWLESSLY.

The clue to try them was the 10's I been wearing are falling down as I walk. I posted the new picture for you to check it out.
That has got to feel good and you are looking good too!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:55 AM   #170  

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepeterson View Post
I was pretty sad this am when I got on the scale as it said I am up 2lbs. Not sure what that is all about since I have been 100% compliant, but I will not let it get me down. I feel like I have lost some inches so that is a bonus. Here is to having a great day everyone!!!
You are doing great. Be proud of your hard work! You are inspiring. I am a one day at a timer!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvrod View Post
NSV...........after feeling that I have plateau'd, perhaps permanently. Last night I went out for dinner and drinks with friends that I have not seen since new years really. I was asked to stand up and twirl they were so happy for me and the weight I have lost. felt really good!
Good for you!!!!
Quote:
I JUST ABOUT DROPPED TO THE FLOOR...THE SIZE 8 JEANS THAT I PURCHASED TWO WEEKS AGO (NO STRETCH AND NO GIVE) WENT ON FLAWLESSLY.

I know I need to step it up. I am finally getting rid of my size 20's. I am happy will my pokey pace. Of course if I actually follow the plan, I'll loose faster. Some days I go with " the first step to loosing weight is to stop gaining".

I am thankful for all of you and for the support this board offers.

Have a great day! And today.... I will stay on plan!!!

The clue to try them was the 10's I been wearing are falling down as I walk. I posted the new picture for you to check it out.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #171  

Height: 5' 7"

That was my first multiple post. I couldn't find the end using my iPhone. So my post added to darbs. Oh well
Old 02-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #172  

S/C/G: 223/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Good morning my IP friends!
I'm trying this morning to catch up on reading, but I love to come to this thread first! As many of you have said, I connect more and get more motivated for whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvrod View Post
NSV...........after feeling that I have plateau'd, perhaps permanently. Last night I went out for dinner and drinks with friends that I have not seen since new years really. I was asked to stand up and twirl they were so happy for me and the weight I have lost. felt really good!
I love it! Having to twirl is very good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlasherea View Post
I am a size 10 with an occasional 8, but I like my clothes to lay nice and not be too snug. I'm pretty chesty , so I still wear a size large top, but medium's work too. I have to dress up everyday for work and then a lot on the weekends for church too, and dress clothes need to fit different than jeans. I can wear 8 jeans, but have to have my dress clothes in a 10 and sometimes even a 12.

On a side note, I started Phase 1 again yesterday and am already down 2 lbs (pretty sure its water weight) I feel so much better when I eat this way. I have the "Winter Blues" and don't want to gain any weight. My birthday is exactly 1 month from today and my goal since June was to weigh exactly the same on my b-day as when I started Maintenance. I think now, I'll be even less!!!!!
Thanks for the info and congratulations on your success in maintenance! I too am wondering about my final goal weight and what size I'll be end up at. I really have a ton of shopping to do as my closet is getting pretty bare. But I don't want to spend too much money until I am done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
And the rest of this is a cautionary tale. You know how people talk about going off plan and feeling sick the next day. Well last night I went out for dinner with the family to an Ethiopian restaurant. I thought I'd be safe because I've eaten Ethiopian food for years and know how to work around it. Well this ersatz African restaurant had food choices that resembled nothing much that I could eat let alone Ethiopian. After a jacama and white radish salad (weird) minus the carrots, I just picked stuff out of what others were eating -- like zucchini and cooked spinach with the typical German overlay of 2 tablespoons of salt. Long story short, I woke up last night throwing up. I guess it was a combination of the food and the cold congestion but I thought I'd aspirated and couldn't, I mean could not, get my breath except in short gasps. I woke my son and daughter-in-law at 1:30 and they got me to the emergency room. (You know, travel is broadening. See new places; meet new people.) X-ray confirmed my fear and I go back tomorrow tomorrow for another one to see if there's infection.

I don't know when I've ever been so scared. Even though I ate very little, it just wasn't right after doing IP for so long. As I said, this is a cautionary tale -- the only reason I'm sharing.
Linden, what a terrible ordeal! I am so glad that you are OK. I have to admit that I've been worried about this kind of thing for when we go on vacation to Mexico. As I've mentioned, I'm going to phase off and I just don't know how my body will react. Obviously a cautious approach is best.

Quote:

That is FABULOUS darbs! But, someone help me out. I just don't understand sizes. For many years I was up in the (gulp) 20s (up to 24 at the worst). So it's been an awfully long time since I've shopped for regular sizes.
I went shopping for dress slacks for work this week and got 2 pair that fit nicely in a size 14 - they were the smallest size in the Plus side of the store. I also was looking for some kind of jacket and tried one on in the 'regular' part of the store were the sizes are odd numbers, but even a 15 was still too small on me. I am currently approximately 184 lbs.
Now, I thought the general rule of thumb was 1 size for every 10-15 lbs? If that's true, once I'm down to 160 I'll only be into a 10 (maybe). But I've read so many times here of girls getting into 8s and 10s at higher weights, but still approximately the same height as me?
Just trying to understand how this size thing works so I know what to look for. Do you think sizes are different in Canada? Thanks for any insite you can give.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #173  

Good Saturday morning, y'all!.. like kaarin, I've got in the habit of checking this thread first...

Linden!!!.. my word, what an awful thing for you to have to go through!.. I'm so glad to hear you're okay... & thanks for posting your warning, we never know when the same might happen to us...

Pegsi, your strategy makes lots of sense to me... go for it!!!..

darbs7, on sliding into those size 8s!!!.. you're doing great!..

kaarin, the sizes confuse me too... I wore a size 8 on my wedding day, 38 years ago (not still married, but it was that long ago) at 118 lbs. & now at whatever weight I am (since I never weigh, I'm guessing 150), I'm in a comfortable 10 on the verge of a tight 8... what's different?..

It feels so great being back on protocol, not struggling with this like I did for over a month... I love seeing those little red hearts lining up on my calendar!.. & seeing another quarter inch off my waist this week... my apple shape is disappearing, I can actually see my waistline now... now to get rid of that darned tummy pouch below my bellybutton... it's being stubborn, my last stronghold of fat... but, maybe it's my imagination, but it did look a little less "hangy-down" this morning... I hope, I hope!..

hugs
Old 02-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #174  

Linden Really really glad to hear that you're ok.

darbs on those 8s! Looking great, you are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaarin View Post
ut, someone help me out. I just don't understand sizes. For many years I was up in the (gulp) 20s (up to 24 at the worst). So it's been an awfully long time since I've shopped for regular sizes.
I went shopping for dress slacks for work this week and got 2 pair that fit nicely in a size 14 - they were the smallest size in the Plus side of the store. I also was looking for some kind of jacket and tried one on in the 'regular' part of the store were the sizes are odd numbers, but even a 15 was still too small on me. I am currently approximately 184 lbs.
Now, I thought the general rule of thumb was 1 size for every 10-15 lbs? If that's true, once I'm down to 160 I'll only be into a 10 (maybe). But I've read so many times here of girls getting into 8s and 10s at higher weights, but still approximately the same height as me?
Just trying to understand how this size thing works so I know what to look for. Do you think sizes are different in Canada? Thanks for any insite you can give.
Here's what I've been able to figure out:

The smallest size in the "fat girl," "plus," or "women's" stores, 14W, is close to a 16 in "regular" or "misses" sizing.

Often the odd # sizes indicate a "junior" cut, intended for slimmer builds. I have an aunt who wears a size 9 Tall, figure that out!

I purchased some pants in a 14W petite to get the right fit in the rise. I bought them for a beach vacation so the fact that they were short in the leg was not a problem.

I'd been wearing plus sizes for 12-15 years. Something's happened with regular women's clothing sizes in that time. An {8, 10, 12, 14} ain't what it used to be. At least, it isn't where I shop. Maybe today I'll put out my favourite suit, the first one I bought with my earnings from my first professional job, to test my suspicion.

There is no such thing as standard sizing in women's clothing. I tried on a 12 in an suit jacket -- it fit perfectly except for the sleeve length -- and yet needed a 16 in a blouse IN THE SAME STORE with clothing from ONE manufacturer!

Kaarin, I don't know how much help that is for you. I've decided to just go into stores, tell the clerk that I've lost a fair amount of weight, and that I have no idea what size I am. Then I let them do the work of figuring it out and selecting things. Just dress in a way that makes it easy to try on lots of things ... neutral-toned underthings and hosiery, tops and bottoms that are easy to change into and out of. I've worn panti-hose under jeans (ick) when I've gone to try on dresses or skirts and also taken pumps/shoes with a heel. (I usually wear comfy, stylish-to-me flats.)

You're probably like me, i.e. have a habit of wanting to be invisible in clothing stores. Two words: STOP THAT! Have some fun -- Let the clerks do what they love to do ... help you find things that make you look and feel FABULOUS. Because, well, you are fabulous!

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 02-05-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #175  

S/C/G: 212.5/173/137

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:

You look terrific!
Old 02-05-2011, 11:51 AM   #176  

S/C/G: 223/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Thanks Svelting, it IS helpful! You've given that advice before. I'm afraid I'm not a really good 'shopper'. I like to go into a store, get what I need, and GET OUT! But perhaps that's because it's hard to have fun shopping when you're bigger, there's limited selection, and you hate how you look in the mirror.
I was mostly curious about the whole 'junior' and 'misses' thing. I always thought that just meant style for younger women And then there was the odd and even sizes thing. Thanks for answering that.
Right now to buy inexpensive 'interim' clothes I've been going mainly to Reitmans and Winners, where the sales people really aren't terribly helpful. Once I'm down another couple of sizes I intend on going to Laura and some other shops where I'm sure I'll get better help. I have a gift card for Lulu Lemon too.
I really MUST go shopping before the end of the month for Mexico. I have absolutely NOTHING to wear for hot weather. But I'd like to be down another 10 lbs so that (hopefully) I can stretch those clothes into the spring/summer here.
Oh well, all good problems to have!
Old 02-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #177  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaarin View Post
Right now to buy inexpensive 'interim' clothes I've been going mainly to Reitmans and Winners, where the sales people really aren't terribly helpful. Once I'm down another couple of sizes I intend on going to Laura and some other shops where I'm sure I'll get better help. I have a gift card for Lulu Lemon too.
I really MUST go shopping before the end of the month for Mexico. I have absolutely NOTHING to wear for hot weather. But I'd like to be down another 10 lbs so that (hopefully) I can stretch those clothes into the spring/summer here.
Oh well, all good problems to have!
I agree about the Winners stores, but I've had an okay time at Reitmans, probably because I went on a snowy weekday evening. When I was shopping for my trip to Aruba in late Nov/early Dec. I found some great stuff at a Laura Outlet store (where they ship clothing from the stores to make room for the new lines.) I don't know if they've got one on Vancouver Island, and then how convenient it would be for you. I've also done well at a Jones New York "Factory" store. I only see JNY outlets on the lower mainland, not on the island though.

Do you have any consignment stores near you, especially near or in nice neighbourhoods? They're often a good source of good quality interim clothing at a great price.

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 02-05-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #178  
Started IP Sept 20, 2010

S/C/G: 160/123/125

Height: 5'3 Size 4!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Thanks to everyone. I'm OK, honestly, or I wouldn't have written. And today's x-rays showed no infection. That would have been the last straw.

And even discounting the fact that I always seem to do things in the most dramatic or extreme fashion, I really wanted to write to you all as a warning, epecially because some of us here have been on IP pretty strictly for a long time. Even when my coach told me to take a break, I never ate anything that wouldn't have worked for phase two or three, and always in small portions.
WOW Linden!!! Incredible!! So very glad that you're OK!

Quote:

Darbs - You look Mahvalous!!! Good for you!!! YAY Well Done!!

I agree with everyone here - the shopping is confusing to me too! I have to go shopping too because I need dress slacks again. My husband said "You shrunk out of your new ones??" Hahaha!! Sorry dear!! Gotta get some new ones that don't slip down!! That's the thing about dress slacks, they do slip down if they don't fit!! God knows where I'll shop and what size I'll be!!

Good weekend everyone!!
Old 02-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #179  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Shopping is different in all stores. I don't change sizes until I have tried on pants in at least 5 different store to make sure that I am in that size. I stay out of the juniors section...just because the clothes are young.

I have always carried my weight well. At least 5 different people in different circumstances this week commented that I shouldn't get much lower and that if I get in the 120's or 130's that is too low for me...they clearly don't know my true weight.

I also had a tummy tuck 6 years ago after losing 40 pounds (believe it or not I was even heavier...a size 24). That makes fitting into pants much easier..tummy is very flat on the bottom half (hips sticking out flat). But the top half is a little puffy still.

I wear a medium top in all 20 stores I have shopped at recently, if I need to get a number for a jacket or dress it is either a 10 or 12 depending on the cut. I went from a 44DDD bra to a 38C cup. I went from a size 9 undies to a size 6.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #180  
Second time around

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/155

Height: 5'5"

Been off of the boards lately and catching up with all the postings.

Linden, so glad you are ok! What a scare you had. I found out a couple of nights ago that I really have to watch what I eat too. Woke up in the middle of the night with a very upset stomach. I had slipped from program and I felt terrible. Lesson learned by me.

The size thing has me puzzled too. But, I like my pants to have some room in them. I weigh a little over 150 and am 5'5". I wear a 10 and they aren't as loose as I would like them. Wearing my clothes a little loose makes me feel thinner. If they are tight I feel like a chunk.

I cleaned out my closet of summer clothes the other day during a snow storm. Trying to think positive for spring to arrive. Found that I have no shorts for summer now and just a few tops. Bagged them all up and took them in for my mom to go through and what she doesn't want will be taken to goodwill. I'm headed to Phoenix in a couple of weeks and now have an excuse to go shopping

Last edited by iowahawkeyemom; 02-05-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Closed Thread