Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #16  
Kathy

S/C/G: 165/120/120

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
Are you back doing Ideal Protein? I thought you had switched over to the Atkins plan and forums. Did that not work for you? Are you still trying to exercise? What have you come up with for a plan so far?

You said you have 3 weeks to the cruise. All I can suggest, for fastest weight loss, is to drop the exercise and to do the program as you did it orginally. There are no tricks or gimmicks to this.

You also need to realize that a one pound change up is not a reason to stop what you are doing. This plan is not about a fast weight loss and ONLY that. This plan is about a lifestyle change, a health change, and a PERMANENT change and the only way that will happen is to follow the plan and let your body do what it does on ITS time. Every time you make a deviation you take a chance of slowing yourself down or altering the outcomes of the process.

I can't think of any great plan for the next 3 weeks before the cruise other than saying, "get in the game." DO the plan the way you did, accept the results you get, they will be the best out there.

During the cruise, will you be allowing yourself a cheat week or will you be trying to stay on plan in some way. If you aren't on plan, you will set yourself back a little and be starting over on plan when you return. That is fine but, decide if it is worth it now, maybe you would rather just do a phase 2 and try to maintain where you are from now and through the cruise. It will be less costly and if you can maintain, you can comeback pretty well prepped for phase 1 and more loss after the cruise. If you feel you must lose more before you go, how hard will you work to maintain those losses while on the cruise? Those are questions you should ask yourself now, as you make a game plan.

REMEMBER, we need our carbs and less fat on this plan. We get at least 25g net carbs (not 10g or 20g) and we need to keep our fat intake reduce (stick to your 2tsp a day of olive oil) NO CHEESE... NO AVOCADO... NO BACON... NO SAUSAGE.. NO DAIRY (milk, butter, cream) ...NO OLIVES ... NO NUTS...NO YOGURT. Some of those are things that you have become comfortable with again during the 2 weeks on your plan or Atkins (based on your other posts). Keep those out of your diet during the next 3 weeks if you really want to see results.

Use the board. Ask for help. We are glad to see you back and want to see you get the results you always did.

I'm a newbie and my coach said I can go back to exercise now. I was wondering why you said to drop the exercise. Wouldn't more cardio make your body use more stored fat for energy? Sorry to jump in on your old gang conversation.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaipjourney View Post
I'm a newbie and my coach said I can go back to exercise now. I was wondering why you said to drop the exercise. Wouldn't more cardio make your body use more stored fat for energy? Sorry to jump in on your old gang conversation.
Cardio doesn't work the way they've always told us it does. Although there are a lot of posts in the exercise thread, there's good information in there. Elizabeth, username =deinekatze, has posted some guidelines and explanations about heart rates and fat burning zones. Sorry, I don't know the exact post number.

Exercise thread
Old 01-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #18  
JSP
Started IP 10/3/10

S/C/G: 164/129/127

Height: 5'2"

I am so glad you started this thread! My name is Jenny, and I have been on the IP plan since 10/3/10. I average a 2lb weight loss each week, but since December I have only lost three pounds. However, my coach has a very fancy-smanchy scale, and despite my slow weight loss, I have gained muscle mass, about one pound each week. My problem, or I should say my inner struggle, is that I have always been an athlete. I love to work out, run, kick boxing, spin class, light weights. I belong to the local YMCA, and go at least 4 times per week. From the beginning my coach said my 2lbs a week was insufficient, and encouraged me to back off the exercise. Well, I tried that, I tried no restricted foods, I read each and every thread and tried all the recommendations from this blog, to no avail. I never lost more than 2 lbs a week. Eventually I was able to live with that, but became frustrated at not exercising more, especially running. With the weight I have shed, almost 30 lbs, I could move like I have never moved before, especially with feeling so well and being so fit. So in December I increased my exercise to the level I was at before I started IP. It pretty much stalled my weight loss, but increased my muscle mass. Which is great, but I think I did it too soon, because I want to loose the last 10 and go into the final phases. I am sooooooo ready to start Phase 3 and maintenance, I can taste it!! LOL! Darbs, I followed your journey into exercise-land with keen interest, and decided that it was time to put the exercise off for a bit, stick to a strict Phase 1 protocol, and get rid of these last 10 lbs. Honestly, this thread is just what the doctor ordered. Today, rather than the 4 mile run I had planned, I took a 2 mile walk with my dog, and am feeling great.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:03 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
Honestly, this thread is just what the doctor ordered. Today, rather than the 4 mile run I had planned, I took a 2 mile walk with my dog, and am feeling great.
Good for you!

(ok, now I'll put my personal bias back in the cupboard. well, for a few minutes anyway)
Old 01-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 226/172/150

Height: 5'5

I'm disappointed that so many of you feel that you need your own place to get away from the "newbies". I've been here for over a year, so have seen many people come and go but really appreciate the ones that are willing to help the people who are new to this plan-even though it gets repetitive. If I had just come to this site and saw this thread I would not feel welcome, and would most likely miss out on the great information that is shared here. Just my opinion.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #21  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretley View Post
I'm disappointed that so many of you feel that you need your own place to get away from the "newbies". I've been here for over a year, so have seen many people come and go but really appreciate the ones that are willing to help the people who are new to this plan-even though it gets repetitive. If I had just come to this site and saw this thread I would not feel welcome, and would most likely miss out on the great information that is shared here. Just my opinion.
I don't disagree with everything you're saying, but I think the heart of this thread was to be a place where it was okay to express the struggles that we've been feeling as we've gotten further along in the program without discouraging the newbies who still have such enthusiasm.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:07 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 212.5/173/137

Height: 5'7.5"

I'm in. I almost quit IP this week, but I realized I was mostly having problems with the way I feel about the coach, which is kind of a nice term for the weigh-in person. I've been on IP since August, have lost 38 pounds, and am a slow loser with several periods of stalling at key numbers.

I hadn't had a WI for three weeks till today, because of all the snowstorms we had here. And I have not been strictly on protocol either, no excuses, but I was so darn coooold without extra food. It was below zero outside and hard to keep the house warm enough inside.

So my weight was exactly the same as it was three weeks ago. I had actually lost and regained some weight according to my home scale.

Here's the alarming thing. The clinic uses an electronic scale that measures several things, including visceral fat and body fat, two different measurements. In three weeks my body fat measurement went from 32% to 40% with no weight gain. And my visceral fat stayed at 10%. How can that be?

When I asked if it was actually possible for the body fat to increase by 25% in three weeks, all I was told was that I was off protocol, hadn't I said that? Well, yes, but only enough to maintain weight and I don't want to think that when I go permanently to maintenance my fat content is going to sky rocket.

So if you have any ideas about this I would appreciate the input.

One other thing to say - their scale, which is electronic, has been very inconsistent since the beginning of the program. This is not the first time it has had a reading that seemed out of range. I have a mechanical doctor's scale at home, and I trust that one more than the electronic scale. But I am interested in making sure my body composition is improving, not deteriorating.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:32 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 226/172/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich View Post
I don't disagree with everything you're saying, but I think the heart of this thread was to be a place where it was okay to express the struggles that we've been feeling as we've gotten further along in the program without discouraging the newbies who still have such enthusiasm.
Thanks for explaining this more clearly for me I apologize for misunderstanding.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:37 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
I honestly do not think that anyone is trying to "get away" from the newbies at all or exclude anyone. the title is just to let people know what the thread topic is. I agree with Mrs. D ...... at the beginning the losing is much faster and motivating as we get closer to our goal and have less weight to lose, and/or get bored with the food, it gets "less motivating" shall I put it. So just a place to discuss those things we are stuggling with and not discourage those that have just started. Not to mention that it is not locked in anyway anyone is free to open, read and comment.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:23 AM   #25  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaipjourney View Post
Thanks for asking. I see I'm Svelting gave you a great answer and way to look things up.

I said to drop it because, if we exercise too vigorously when on a low calorie diet we can defeat our efforts. We may stall or see weight gain. The key to exercising on this diet is to do slow, steady exercise. You DO NOT want intense or anything the really gets the heart rate up.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:55 AM   #26  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Mrs D was very kind and also right on the money. But I was kind of taken aback. Nobody objected to the Newbies ganging together to post weight, instead of joining the more seasoned people, because like the IP Program itself this forum is a framework, with lots of little frames, even the occasional clique. It's the way people seek comfort and help from their peers.

But here's why I was sad. I've been a mentor for many people, for both men and women, over the past 30-40 years. Most of them have gone on to great success and many have become good mentors themselves. But for some reason people who have been mentored seem to have a kind of blind spot about the process: that it can be a two-way street; and that mentors can also flourish with a little help and advice, too. I'm not altogether sure it's fair to hold us to a different (and sometimes exalted) standard. We're human, too.

This might, then, be the occasion for me to say thank you, and thank you again to all the people who responded [with wonderful, incredibly good help] to my question about hypothyroidism. The beauty of it all is that each new citation you sent has led to others, and then to others, and I still haven't got through the list. The kindness warms the cockles of my heart. (Got anything for cold knees?)
Old 01-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #27  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
I am so glad you started this thread! My name is Jenny, and I have been on the IP plan since 10/3/10. I average a 2lb weight loss each week, but since December I have only lost three pounds. However, my coach has a very fancy-smanchy scale, and despite my slow weight loss, I have gained muscle mass, about one pound each week. My problem, or I should say my inner struggle, is that I have always been an athlete. I love to work out, run, kick boxing, spin class, light weights. I belong to the local YMCA, and go at least 4 times per week. From the beginning my coach said my 2lbs a week was insufficient, and encouraged me to back off the exercise. Well, I tried that, I tried no restricted foods, I read each and every thread and tried all the recommendations from this blog, to no avail. I never lost more than 2 lbs a week. Eventually I was able to live with that, but became frustrated at not exercising more, especially running. With the weight I have shed, almost 30 lbs, I could move like I have never moved before, especially with feeling so well and being so fit. So in December I increased my exercise to the level I was at before I started IP. It pretty much stalled my weight loss, but increased my muscle mass. Which is great, but I think I did it too soon, because I want to loose the last 10 and go into the final phases. I am sooooooo ready to start Phase 3 and maintenance, I can taste it!! LOL! Darbs, I followed your journey into exercise-land with keen interest, and decided that it was time to put the exercise off for a bit, stick to a strict Phase 1 protocol, and get rid of these last 10 lbs. Honestly, this thread is just what the doctor ordered. Today, rather than the 4 mile run I had planned, I took a 2 mile walk with my dog, and am feeling great.

I need to do the same thing...unfortunately I paid for these small group personal training sessions 2X a week in my classroom at school...no getting out of that one. I plan on just taking it down many notches....although the trainer gets really anger...starting with the fact that I am on IP. I need to do what is good for me and losing the last of my weight is that. Congrats on your lose and please check in often. It is so good to hear from those in a similar spot.

Quote:

Absolutely, what Jess and Kim said. This was just a spot to talk about the struggles that occur later in the game....because they are so different and no need to discourage those just started, especially because we all have had such great successes....it is just the long haul that gets well....long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal88 View Post
I'm in. I almost quit IP this week, but I realized I was mostly having problems with the way I feel about the coach, which is kind of a nice term for the weigh-in person. I've been on IP since August, have lost 38 pounds, and am a slow loser with several periods of stalling at key numbers.

I hadn't had a WI for three weeks till today, because of all the snowstorms we had here. And I have not been strictly on protocol either, no excuses, but I was so darn coooold without extra food. It was below zero outside and hard to keep the house warm enough inside.

So my weight was exactly the same as it was three weeks ago. I had actually lost and regained some weight according to my home scale.

Here's the alarming thing. The clinic uses an electronic scale that measures several things, including visceral fat and body fat, two different measurements. In three weeks my body fat measurement went from 32% to 40% with no weight gain. And my visceral fat stayed at 10%. How can that be?

When I asked if it was actually possible for the body fat to increase by 25% in three weeks, all I was told was that I was off protocol, hadn't I said that? Well, yes, but only enough to maintain weight and I don't want to think that when I go permanently to maintenance my fat content is going to sky rocket.

So if you have any ideas about this I would appreciate the input.

One other thing to say - their scale, which is electronic, has been very inconsistent since the beginning of the program. This is not the first time it has had a reading that seemed out of range. I have a mechanical doctor's scale at home, and I trust that one more than the electronic scale. But I am interested in making sure my body composition is improving, not deteriorating.

I am so glad you didn't quit....I am so glad we are all connecting to help each other through this difficult time in the diet...we have all been successful yet have hit a hump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvrod View Post
I honestly do not think that anyone is trying to "get away" from the newbies at all or exclude anyone. the title is just to let people know what the thread topic is. I agree with Mrs. D ...... at the beginning the losing is much faster and motivating as we get closer to our goal and have less weight to lose, and/or get bored with the food, it gets "less motivating" shall I put it. So just a place to discuss those things we are stuggling with and not discourage those that have just started. Not to mention that it is not locked in anyway anyone is free to open, read and comment.
Okay, I wish I saw the thread before I responded to your PM...understand it now.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #28  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

First day awesome...down 2.8 and I was down 1 after 2 weeks off...feeling good.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #29  
Second time around

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/155

Height: 5'5"

I've been having a hard time after being on this plan since late Aug. Looking back, the weight came off very quick and I was very pleased with the results. I am at the lowest weight I have been in over 25 years. I took a break from protocol in December and had big plans to finish this by Valentines day. I'm happy at my weight but feel the need to reach my goal. Get upset that I can't stay on plan and get my mind back into it. I am so close. I think about stopping and being happy at where I am at, but in the back of my mind, I'm not happy. Does that make sense?

I keep thinking today will be the day. But before the day is over, I have a slip or two. Then I tell myself, ok girlfriend, restart a month before the warm weather arrives and finish this up. But, I'm afraid I will gain some by then and have more work ahead of me. I think when I get comments from people who haven't seen me for a while about how much weight I have lost, makes me think I am ok at where I am at. So it's working against me. Another "does that make sense?" I find excuses all the time to not start again. Going to Phoenix for the next month is the excuse I am currently using. I know it's not a good reason. But I know I will be eating great food in all those outdoor cafes that we don't have in Iowa.

Instead of a "panic" button, I wish we had a "restart" button to push.

Everyone take care.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #30  
Loving the Sleeved Life

S/C/G: 267/252/133.5

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich View Post
As someone still new to IP (one month down, yay!), THIS is how I took the start of this thread: Sometimes IP sucks and I need some people who are in the same boat. The newbies (learning from ya'll) are still going to read this thread, because we've got so much enthusiasm still, and we want to see what it's like for the long haul. You all have had such great success, and we appreciate (yes, I'm speaking for all of us newbies, and generalizing) your answers to our questions, encouragement, and especially seeing how successful ya'll have been. I'm sure that if you wanted us NOT to read something, you're all smart enough to PM each other!

Anyway. Enough said. Thanks for so openly sharing about the successes, but also for sharing about the struggles. We will need to learn to deal with that eventually, and this thread can give us some insight. See...READING, Linden, and RESEARCHING! Mad love to you all, and I hope you find the support you're needing here. Please don't stop posting a little in the dailies, though. We like ya'll!
Closed Thread