General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 08:53 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 200/200/125

Height: 5'4"

Evening all...

Not that anyone asked, but fyi, I'm 27.. and feeling old already

I love your costumes, Aphil... my mom used to make all my halloween costumes when I was young and I wish I could do the same for my daughter but I've never really done any sewing! Every time my husband, who turned 25 a month ago (another fyi), gets a new video game (Final Fantasy mostly) I think about how neat it would be to dress as one of the characters. One of them actually had this really pretty white dress and I was thinking how nice it would be for a casual wedding! (which I plan to do as a vow renewal when i get SKINNY ).

On the Monsters Inc topic, I was really wanting to see it.. so I was thinking of using my daughter as an excuse to rent it but then, it looks really good so I thought maybe I'd just buy it (its only 15 bucks for the dvd at Sam's Club!)...

Maybe I'll try that half butter/half applesauce thing next time I make me some cookies...

I had my in-laws over today and made a tray of cut veggies.. so tasty.. I really need to have this stuff around more often.. yummo! Its just such a pain to cut it all up! (i need me a personal chef.. a CHEAP personal chef )

Anyway, I'm babbling again.. so i'm off...

Christine
Old 09-21-2002, 09:02 PM   #92  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

I am a YOUNG 29 with 4 kids and my wonderful DH! I attend college, working part time at the college just for the heck of it. I always get mistaken for a 20 year old. I wonder how long that will last???? Although my mom is a beauty at 48. She always gets mistaken for my younger sister!

Aphil~~~thanks for your input. One of the medications was an antibiotic and the other was for allergies. I am just crossing my fingers that I am not pregnant not that I wouldn't be truly ecstatic. But I wouldn't want any of the medications to cause any problems in the developement of an infant. You know? It is just a scary thought. But thanks I am excepting my TOM in about another week. So I may look into it if it doesn't come as planned.

Talk later. On our way out to the ranch to visit mom and dad.

Bye. Kina
Old 09-21-2002, 10:44 PM   #93  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hi everyone!

Late at night (for me - yawn) so a quick hello to all, and an answer to Alison - I'm a pastry chef (oh lord, right?!) and have been doing this for 16 years. I work at a private fishing club from early May to late October; then the club closes for the season. Then I have to find other employment for the winter. Last year I worked for a crazy lady in a gift shop; won't be doing that this year! I have procrastinated in looking for my winter job; geez, October is next month!

Oh yes - and until 2 years ago, my husband worked at Ben & Jerry's for 10 years - and yes, employees are allowed to take home 3 pints of ice cream a day. No wonder it was fate that I found this site!!

Good night!

Holly
Old 09-22-2002, 01:32 PM   #94  

Angry

Good morning gang,

I hope everyone is having a great Sunday.

I am taking a quick break from watching the Chicago Bears/New Orleans game. I am just an old die hard bears fan. I love it when we can see the games here in Canada.

Have had a pretty uneventful weekend so far. The rain seems to come and go. Its just an unbelieveable amount of rain we have had. I swear I am going to start marching animals into my house in twos!!!!!!

I have been OP 100 percent and have not waivered once. I have added more exercise and am doing my arm weights. It feels good to be in control. I cant wait to see a noticeable difference when I look in the mirror.

Well I am going to go watch some more of the bears game and make a WW pumpkin cake. Did I ever tell you guys about the crustless pumpkin pie I made??? Not bad.. with some low fat cool whip it was quite tasty and pumpkin is so good for you also!!!

Its coming to that time of year when you start to have those seasonal favorites,, so have to experiment with new WW recipes. And in my house we have 2 Thanksgivings to celebrate. The Canadian Thanksgiving is on October 14th and then of course the US one in November. So need to get busy planning a point friendly and tasty menu now. And no one will ever know its WW !!!

Have a great day Sunday everyone!!!

Nancy
Old 09-23-2002, 07:31 AM   #95  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Hi everyone!!
I am so happy Monday is over with! I had a tough day at work, but I snuck out the door on time (for once)

Daylight savings is just starting over here, I actually made it home before dark!! What a good feeling that is!

WW went well on Saturday. Down 0.6 Kilos or 1.5 pounds or so.... good result! I was so happy!! This week so far is on plan and I am enjoying the menus and the food. Hubby calls it 'food experiments'. I had one last night that I fed to a bikey friend who always rides with us. Even he did not notice it was low fat, just yummy!!

Snowey - I never ate pumpkin until I moved to Aus!!! That was something you cut up on halloween!! I did have pumpkin pie before... and LOVE it. I made a pasta with pumpkin sauce. Pumpkin soup is lovely too. It was something I had to take in small steps. I also make roast pumpkin when I cook potatoes. Very good! And healthy too! Great to hear your WW is going well too! I think you will be seeing a huge difference in NO TIME!

Holly - my bike gear is cordura and kevlar. With body armour in the arms, back, hips, knees and butt. Very flattering?? NOT!!! The second bike is at the shop as it had carbeurator issues coming home. I am a bit sad but it was not good to be out riding it. I really like it tho!! smaller, faster and so smooth to ride!

Alison - I am 30 and was in property management in Canada, when I moved here I worked for a SMALL agent, now I am commuting into the city. Change of pace for me, I am doing Data Admin, and finance for a large property management company. Hoping to get into the software/IT end instead of the lease negotiations and leaking roofs/toilets!!! Hubby is a GEEK!!!

Aphil - you are so talented!! My mom loves to sew and she helped me out a lot when I got my first office job as she could make wicked tailored suits. I hope to fit into some of those suits when I go home at Christmas!! She got arthritis and does not sew as much as she used to.... she likes quilting now... I don't have the patience as the one time I tried to sew a skirt, I threw it across the room and then stomped on it. And that was because a seam was crooked ..... not a good scene!

Kina - how is the eliptical ??? How many miles so far?? Keep up the good work!!

Well..... it is time to make my lunch for tomorrow.....
I didn't stay for the WW meeting on Saturday because I had a hair appointment (a bit shorter, a bit darker.... I am a hair salon sucker) so I am doing a 'make up appointment' tomorrow after work... meaning another day I get to leave 'on time'!

Keep on plan girls!! We can do this!!

Nola.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:39 AM   #96  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Silly me... make up MEETING??? had hair appointment on my mind or something??

Sheesh!!
Old 09-23-2002, 09:32 AM   #97  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone!
Kanola-working in a salon for years, I can appreciate you being a salon junkie-much better than being one who cuts it and colors it themselves, and then comes in to have us try to fix it! It amazes me what some people think they can do correctly at home and have it turn out exactly right what I went to school for two years to learn! (This is actually one of the color jobs I had to repair)
Kanola/Snowey-I have plenty of recipes for seasonal stuff-we will all definitelyhave to start putting the fall and winter recipes up here for everyone to try. I plan on eating the roasted turkey at Thanksgiving with the rest of the family, but I am bringing a side dish and a dessert-and am not going to tell anyone but my grandmother in law, who is also dieting, that they are low fat/calorie recipes! If you ladies have good ones, get them up here!
Silence-I know what you mean about cutting the stuff up-I love to munch on veggie trays or cut up cantalaupe, but I hate cutting it all up! It is best to do it all at once, and then have it there to eat for a couple days! One shortcut I use is buying baby carrots, so it eliminates one veggie I have to cut! Thanks for the costume compliments-my hubby is a video game/Sci-Fi/fantasy type nerd (and a Harley rider, go figure!) and I am in love with the costumes, too. When you get to your goal, maybe I can help you out with something! I learned much from my gram as a child-taught me to crochet and to do needlework, and I have always done artsy things, so I am pretty good with fabric selection and color coordination. That is what is so funny-I think my mother in law is so much a better seamstress than I, but she has NO eye for color whatsoever-she always asks me for help in that department, I wish she would when she repaints her house...she likes pastels, but you have to be careful with the ones you choose for your walls, or a light fresh Martha Stewart pastel green can turn into the shade of you elementary school bathroom if you are a shade or two off! ha ha ha
VermontMom and Kanola-I totally understand the carb repairs and the bike stuff-my husband has totally redone his 75 Sportster to look like an OLD Harley-and he did it all himself, except the powdercoating of the bike frame. Our next door neighbor is a big bearded Harley rider, and he is always over with his diagnostic thingie, or whatever. They help each other out all of the time with repairs. I told my husband you know he is a Harley buddy when he knocks at the garage door entrance to the house instead of the front door!
Alibee-FYI-my husband is an engineer. He works now at a company called Guardian-they make windows and windshields for automobiles, and some of the factories make safety tempered glass for storm doors for homes. Check your windows in your car and storm doors, and if there is a G on them, it is from Guardian.
My husband is the engineer on the tempering furnace-if anyone doesn't know what that is, tempering is the heat process that makes car glass "crumble" if you have an accident, rather than break in big shards like regular glass. So it is safer for the passenger.
He has a pretty cushy job a lot of the time, gets trips and training and lunches and all, until something goes wrong with the furnace-if they do not have time to cool it down completely, he has to get ina big spacesuit looking hotsuit to go in and see what is wrong. Pretty dangerous, even with all of the precautions. I have a very large life insurance policy on him.

Kina-about being mistaken for a 20 year old-I plan on that in hte next year...hee hee hee. I used to wear pretty wild clothes and hairstyles when I worked at the salon, and when I get to goal, I plan on it again! Which brings me back to Christine-you are so right about how great it would be to dress up like some of those characters...you can act and do things you wouldn't normally do, you can really get into the role! I think maybe that is why costumes in "the bedroom" have always been popular-you can act a lot more uninhibited when you feel like someone else...
Well, have a good day ladiesyou are all doing great!!!!
WooHoo!
Aphil
Old 09-23-2002, 12:25 PM   #98  
a little eccentric! :)

Location: Wisconsin, but longing to go home to California soon!

Hey guys!

I am feeling like I am getting ANOTHER cold. I don't get it! Bleh!

VM -- Ben and Jerry's used to make this thing called "frozen smoothie", which was a pint that you could either eat plain or make a smoothie with. The flavor "Chai Iced Tea" was not only lowfat, but so incredibly rich and flavorful that I could eat a pint a day; delish! Then, of course, they discontinued it, so if I want to eat it I have to suck it up and enjoy the high in fat "Phish Food" (YUM).

I hope you all had a great weekend -- somehow I gained 5 pounds! Ack!
Old 09-23-2002, 01:25 PM   #99  

Ben and Jerry's is supposed to have a Cherry Garcia frozen lowfat yogurt version, instead of the regular fatty ice cream one, but I have yet to see it in our local stores...
I get my ice cream cravings out with a few things-Blue Bunny Krunch Lites-sugar free and 90 calories each-we have them at our Wal-Mart,sugar free Fudsicles-45 calories, and Dairy Queen's sugar free fat free bars-the orange cream is awesome. I tend to prefer things either in small pints or in bars like this, so it is sortof already a single serving. We used to have Healthy Choice ice cream in pints, but now our stores only have the big tubs of it-and I tend to want to scoop out too much-so I try to avoid it.
Alibee-shame on you for mentioning B&J Phish Food-I have to totally stay away from that altogether, or I will eat the whole pint, and then lay there in a sugar induced coma for about 2 hours! That carmel swirl does it every time!
Don't worry too much about the 5 pounds-you just started training with weights during your workouts, and this is normal.
Aphil
Old 09-23-2002, 06:51 PM   #100  

Okay, wanna see a recipe for something yummy that I had tonight?

Chicken, Lentil, and Spinach Pasta
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 sm yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
5 oz ground chicken breast
1/2 cu red lentils
2 3/4 cu chicken stock
3 tbs tomato paste
8 oz baby spinach
12 oz shell pasta

Heat oil in medium pan; cook onions and garlic, stirring, until onions are soft. Add chicken, cook until all chicken has changed color. Add lentils, stock, and tomato paste, and simmer uncovered ~10 min until sauce thickens and lentils are tender. Add spinach, and cook until spinach is wilted.

Meanwhile, cook up pasta. Combine pasta and sauce in big bowl and serve!

Makes 4 servings, 6 g fat, 10.8 g fiber, 477 cals.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:09 PM   #101  

That sounds good....
Old 09-23-2002, 07:10 PM   #102  

Hey, it's healthy! No piggie face!
Old 09-23-2002, 08:38 PM   #103  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Good evening everyone!

Kanola, I LAUGHED at the description of your sewing the skirt - flinging it and then stomping it! I am very happy for you that you can enjoy daylight savings time now - of course, on this side of the hemisphere, it now is dark at 7:30 pm...and getting up early in the morning is harder and harder! oh well.

Hi Nancy! Was today your WW weigh-in? I hope you are HAPPY with the results! It is marvelous that you are 100% OP. We're proud of you; hope you are proud of you too!

Hi aphil! I agree with single servings of ice cream treats...my husband would prefer to get a half-gallon of ice cream, but we all know how dangerous that is to have around. With the single servings, once they're eaten they're GONE. Much better.

I looked back again at your costume work - superb. I showed them to my husband, who is a HUGE original Star Wars/sci-fi/geek. I will confess something...where we went for our honeymoon, for crying out loud...was a science fiction convention! Not that there's anything WRONG with that, but just not very romantic.

I LAUGHED at the depiction of the bad color job to be repaired!

And we want to see pics of you when you are at goal, with some wild-girl outfits and hairstyles!!Along with your body mods, you will be a hottie!!

hi Alison! That recipe sounds very good. Yes, and healthy!

I am sure that you didn't gain five pounds of actual fat...as we know, that would mean you had to over- consume 17,500 calories. It must be fluid. Or actual muscle weight, as aphil suggested. Not fat!!

I hope you aren't getting another cold. My anti-cold remedy is lots of hot green tea. Sometimes it works.

hi Kina! I really enjoyed what you wrote the other day, about how well your son is doing, and how marvelously you praised him. When children are loved like that, they will grow to be wonderful people, and it's all thanks to great parents...kudos to you!

Hello also to Christine, tryin'hard, t-girl, and jacklyn! And kewi, whom I remember saying we might not hear from for a while. Remember our gal Sprite? I hope she's doing well. And melisa!!!

I 've increased my leg weights on the days I do weights; instead of me thinking "oh, I wish I had nicer legs" I am going to try my best to do something about it!

Have a great OP night!

Holly

Last edited by VermontMom; 09-24-2002 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:36 AM   #104  

Hi all,
Kanola, I get frustrated about screwed up stitches too...there have been quite a few sewing projects I have wanted to throw in the road and back over and over and over with the car...just ask my husband. I was cracking up, because I feel the same way at times!
Vermont Mom-could I ask what leg exercises you are doing? I didn't know if you had gym equipment or where doing floor exercises, or what. I fyou have gym equipment, what weight are you doing for each exercise?
That is actually cool about your honeymoon...I got the passes, hotel, and invites through a friend's connections to a private party with Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca), and Kenny Baker (R2-D2) all for Jason's Valentines Day present...he was SO excited!!! We have pics with Chewie...out of costume, he looks like a 7 foot tall Alice Cooper pretty much-if you can imagine that!
It was pretty romantic though, I got a great hotel deal through my stepmother, she is an insurance agent for American Family, and travels a lot. We had a fireplace, full kitchen, candy on our pillows, coffee, tea, snacks, and a free FULL breakfast, not continental for under $100 a night...it was nicer than our wedding night hotel room!
We love stuff like that. I am STILL trying to get him to take me to Ohio next month to the huge Renaissance faire for my birthday and our anniversary...
Nancy-hope your weigh-in will be good!
To all you other ladies, keep strong-we can and ARE doing this!
Aphil
Old 09-24-2002, 09:38 AM   #105  

Hey all,

Cold seems to be getting worse -- my lymph nodes are all swollen now I am drinking green tea right now (I love love love green tea -- the best green tea ever is Republic Of Tea's Jasmine Jazz -- it smells like flowers and tastes awesome!) and taking vitamins to try to make it go away. Oh well, if I get sick, that means I get to stay home! Yay!

Last night, my boyfriend and his step-kid were watching the best of America's Funniest Home Videos while I was working out (I ABHOR THAT SHOW and find it a waste of my life). I was feeling uncoordinated, though, and almost stopped 25 minutes into it, but I walked downstairs, and 2 minutes of that show convinced me that I was ready to finish the workout instead of being subjected to the torture of hearing Molly laugh uproaringly at videos that sucked IQ points from my being. So wow, I found motivation in an unexpected place!

Also, at Barnes and Noble, we found a couple of lowfat cookbooks that have meals you can make in under 30 minutes. That's where I got the recipe I posted yesterday, which was actually really yummy. I used ground turkey instead of ground chicken and also upped the turkey content (there wasn't nearly enough, imo, with only 5 oz, so I used about .5 lb) while using only 2 cups of chicken stock and water, and also seasoned it with a bit of garlic salt. It was way yum, and easy to make, which was a relief, since I tend to be the cook of the house.

As for hair color: I used to have purple hair. Now it's reddish but I'm letting the dye grow out and growing my hair, too. I like to change my hair often -- I sorta miss the attention I got with the purple, but now that I work at a more conservative company, I doubt that they'd be happy with me if I dyed it again!

Happy Tuesday!
Closed Thread