General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 03:39 PM   #166  

Default Do ya' have room for one more??

I'll try not to write a book here! I have posted a couple of times a while back and am back with head hanging low :-( I have tried everything at least once and have always been hungry, had blood sugar problems and ending up eating everything in site and weighing more than when I started. Because of this, I thought Atkins would work for me. I actually stayed on Atkins induction for 10 entire weeks without cheating once. You have to understand, I have never stayed on ANY plan for 10 weeks! I was never hungry, had no problems with blood sugar swings, had mental clarity and energy and generally felt great (if you don't count the achy muscles and the terrible breath!). However, in that 10 weeks, I lost 0, yep 0 lbs! I couldn't understand why I wasn't losing any weight, so I decided to keep track of things on FitDay for a few days. Guess why I was never hungry?? I was eating 2200-2500 calories a day!! I'm guessing I could probably eat that many calories of anything and not be hungry!

So, here I am again. Problem is, now I'm so confused. I've read so many books and tried so many plans that I really have no idea what is right anymore. I don't know why I'm so surprised to find that it really does come to calories in, calories out! All I do know is that I have really high cholesterol and need to lose at least 20lbs. Maybe not much to some people, but it is a lot when your cholesterol is as high as mine is. I also don't feel like myself and fit in no clothes in my closet. I have resorted to wearing my drawstring pajama bottoms everywhere I can get away with it! :-) I know I need to exercise too, and used to do lots of exercise but haven't done it more than once a week for MONTHS.

Help! How do I get started again??? Can someone please help me get on the right track? I belong to a gym, have a treadmill, and 4 great grocery stores within a mile of my house! I have what I need to do this, just need a plan. If any of you can help me through this hurdle, I will be here for you when you need me!

Any advice anyone??

Sorry to whine, LOL, just have no idea which way is up anymore!

Take Care,
Katy
162/162/140
Old 10-09-2002, 04:56 PM   #167  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hello Katy,
Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!
I know exactly the boat you are in right now. I am also losing weight for health reasons, as well as vanity ones...and I know I speak for the ladies here as well as myself when i say that we will do whatever we can to help you through this.
I have been dealing with a friend of mine who had been doing Atkins, and trying ot get him to convert to a more balanced eating plan as well.
What I would suggest is to start small with the exercise at first-make it a scheduled regular part of your life in small amounts, until it becomes part of your dialy routine. So many jump into an hour and a half a day every day workout schedule when they never usually exercise, and they burn themselves out and get frustrated and sore.
Start with 15 minutes a day on your treadmill. Do it as early in the day as possible, to get it done and over with-if you procrastinate it, it makes it that much more of a chore-but if you do it early, you have that sense of accomplishment all day that it is done. Walk on it, jog-whatever you like to do, just do it. In a few weeks, rev it up to 20 minutes.
As far as your eating, I recommend a balanced eating plan-for your weight, start with about 1500-1600 calories a day, balanced out so you are not hungry with 3 meals and a small snack or two.
There are plenty of filling lower calorie meals you can have-a slice of toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter and some fruit on the side for breakfast is much more filling than a Krispy Kreme donut of about equal calories, for instance.
We share lots of recipes here and usually give the nutrition info so if you want a change of pace, write them down!
While calorie counting gives you the freedom to have an occasional piece of chocolate or a dinner out, try to make healthier choices whenever possible-eating "clean foods"-foods as close to their original form as possible-oatmeal and whole wheat bread rather than crackers or cookies, and raw fruits as a snack.
With your high cholesterol, I would wholeheartedly reccomend that you have oatmeal for breakfast each morning for a while, as well as an apple (with skin) each day as a snack. These foods contain the type of fiber that can help lower your cholesterol. You can have any of the flavored instant oatmeals-and they range from about 110-170 a packet, and a small apple is 80 calories.
Also, as far as cholesterol goes, and artery clogging fat-a general rule of thumb is, if it is solid at room temperature-don't use/eat it...think lard, shortening, bacon and meat grease/fat, butter,etc. If you use a small amount of fat in a recipe, liquid oil is best.
I know you have the strength to make these changes for yourself and for your health...and I have a pair of those drawstring pj pants myself...and I can relate to nothing fitting in your closet-I was in that same place before these first 10 came off. I am not in a smaller size, but at least what I have fits!

And yes Katy-we ALWAYS have room for one more...

Aphil
Old 10-09-2002, 05:20 PM   #168  
a little eccentric! :)

Location: Wisconsin, but longing to go home to California soon!

Yeah, Katy, what aphil said. And beware the freakish pictures I like to post
Old 10-09-2002, 06:00 PM   #169  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hi Katy, welcome!

this is a great place to come to for friendship, support, info, and the occasional kick in the pants! Just kidding!!

I came here in early February; I am so happy to be able to say that I now am 30 pounds less, now have muscle tone and muscles due to exercise, and am really enjoying life. I've done it by counting calories and exercising at least 5X a week. It's tough many times, but I relied on coming here and commiserating (sp?) with the great ladies here.

You are already on your way, knowing that you want to make changes; and accepting that we all need support from friends.

Welcome again!

Holly
Old 10-09-2002, 06:02 PM   #170  
Biker Chick!

alibee - top of page 11, Kina mentions a fainting spell...
Old 10-09-2002, 06:11 PM   #171  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Hello to everyone out there. Yes, I had a fainting episode the other day. I don't know why or what may had spurred the whole thing. But it scared my kids and my DH. I think it scared me as well. When I was sitting on the chair trying to gather my wits, I saw my children sitting very close around me and staring into their own thoughts, I realized how much I am the glue to this family.

But I am feeling a whole lot better. I am exercising but I am taking it alot easier than I had been before. I am doing well thank you for your concerns.

I have to get dinner done. I better get going. Hugs to you all!
Corina
Old 10-10-2002, 02:47 AM   #172  

Hello Everyone,

Welcome Katy~~ Glad to have you join us. This is a great group of ladies and so supportive also. I am doing the WW plan and I love it. It is so easy and there is nothing at all that you cant have. Have you tried WW? It is really a good program
I hope that you will post often as having a group like this sure does help. Good Luck Katy

Kina~~ Geesh, you cant be having spells like that. I wonder if you are burning the candles at both ends , with school, work, home and exercising. Are you eating enough? Please take care of yourself Kina,, oke doke?

Today was my birthday,,, lets just say I am 29 again and leave it at that ok??? I went for my 2nd interview for the part time job. Yep I was hired, I start Tuesday(Monday is a holiday here, Canada's Thanksgiving) the job is not one in my field (Im a Human Resources Generalist) but it is an Administrative Asst position for the Manager of our Shopping mall. It will be fine until I can get a job back in the states and move home!!!!!!
I really dont need to work , but need this more for my sanity. I
hate not working...and way to young to be retired (did I mention that I am ... 29?????) But anyway it will be a time killer and give me more money for my Retail Therapy (shopping)
Ok so after the interview it was time to go to WW.. And yes I lost 2 pounds this week I am happy about that , because it is TOM and I feel like a slug!!!! So after my meeting the Dh and I went for my birthday lunch. I picked Pizza Hut and had my usual a Personal Pan Veggie without the cheese I know you are thinking that it sounds weird but believe me I love it!!! And only 6 points instead of 14 points!!!!!
I did not have any birthday cake, but I havent had a birthday cake in years so why start now right? Would rather eat my crustless pumpkin pie with low fat cool whip!!!

So all in all it was a good day,,, new job, 2 pounds down, my new Beauty and the Beast DVD ahhhhhhh, what more could a 47 year old ummm,,, I mean a 29 year old girl want????????????????

have a great day tomorrow everyone.....!
night night

Nancy
198.8/192.4/150ish???

Last edited by Snowey; 10-10-2002 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:57 AM   #173  

Hi everyone,
Snowey-congrats on the 2 more pounds gone forever! I know you are excited about it-I am glad you had a good birthday also! I bought the Beauty and the Beast vid last night since it is on sale everywhere and put it back for Jasmine's Christmas-I like to pick up Christmas gifts all year long, so when Novemeber and December comes around, I only have a few to get...
I also know what you mean about the shopping being "therapy." I have my therapy whenever my kids are gone for the weekend-I usually hit a craft fabric store-you can never sort through that stuff with children or a husband-then I go to our local Goodwill store and "dig." I am a thrift store junkie like Vermont Mom, and also love rummage sales...My best finds this past year were a new Baby Gap sweatsack for my son, a brand new pair of Eddie Bauer jeans for my husband, and a set of vintage Home Interior wall plaques that looked like castle crests/shields-with armor and king crowns and stuff on them for my sons room-his room is decorated in a Pottery barn castle theme, and I painted his walls grey with turrets around the top, and a blue sky with clouds on the top 12" inches of the wall above the turret edge so he could see the sky above the top of his castle walls...
I also plan to hit the Goodwill to get some clothes when I am between my starting clothes, and my goal weight clothes-instead of buying a brand new wardrobe that will be too big in a couple months. Ours has a great selection of jeans-lots of Old Navy, Levis, and Gap.
Yesterday was a good day, I had a good strength training workout...I am up to 5-10 pound weights with my upper body, depending on the particular exercise and body part. I cannot wait to show my arms next summer-I am actually glad it is getting closer to winter-I plan to hide in bulky sweaters and sweatshirts all winter, and unveil it all in the spring-maybe at Easter Dinner or something where I will have a lot of witnesses...
Isn't that terrible?
I ate exactly 1500 calories yesterday, which is good, not too many, not too few...and had 4 servings of fruits and veggies altogether, so I did pretty good.
Katy-Snowey was telling you a bit about WW-it is a good plan, similar to calorie counting as far as being able to choose what you eat, and having the added support of the meetings-they just count points instead of calories for each food. Whichever is easiest for you...
Have a wonderful day all! I plan to!
Aphil
Old 10-10-2002, 09:49 AM   #174  

Default Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Okay, I had a good sleep and I actually feel like I can do this again! Thanks so much for all of your replies. Aphil, you responded so quickly and what you had to say was really helpful :-) For the rest of the week, I have 3 goals:

1) Eat under 1800 calories a day (easy on the starches since I'm coming off of Atkins) I figure I should be able to lose a little on this since I was eating 22-2500 a day on Atkins for 10wks and not gaining, LOL! Once I've got this down, I'm sure I'll need to lower it.

2) Drink my 8cups of water a day

3) Get on my treadmill for 20minutes every day

I think that this is something I can stick to so I'm going to give it my best. I'm trying to get used to feeling hungry again. With Atkins I was never hungry and had to force myself to eat sometimes. Bevlieve me, that doesn't normally happen to me! I have always had blood sugar problems, so I'm trying to figure out the combination of food that works best to control that. It's trial and error for sure....

Nancy, I have tried WW before and it was fun, but I was always starving when I stuck to the points that I was allowed. I seem to be able to hold down 1800 pretty well, so I plan on easing down gradually as necessary. Happy late birthday! I thought I was the only one who ever ordered pizza without the cheese! That always gets me a strange look, LOL!

VM, I saw you picture in your bathing suit, you look awesome, woman! Congrats on the weight loss! I know you must feel like a new person. What types of exercise are you doing? I've done BFL before (body building) but wasn't able to keep it up. Very strict!

Alibee, I love the pix of your puppy! He looks very cuddly indeed :-)

Kina, Fainting is always scary, isn't it? I hope that doesn't happen again. The only time I've ever fainted was when I was very anemic. Hopefully you don't have that problem. It's a wake-up call to see the worried look on the faces of your children, for sure. Rest up, woman! :-)

Well, time for me to get to work. I'm a computer nerd for a software company and have lots to do today that I am putting off! Everyone have a great day!

Take Care,
Katy
Old 10-10-2002, 12:05 PM   #175  

Yes Katy, you should be able to lose on 1800 a day-just about everyone can, even at lower weights, it is just a bit slower. 1800-2200 calories a day will maintain your weight, depending on what your goal weight is,a dn how active you are.
The treadmill is a great starting point for your exercise-I bodybuild, but I would recommend you start with the walking first, and then go on to the next level once you are used to the regular exercise. My weight training is similar to that of BFL-my stepfather is a bodybuilder and we have set up a plan for me together.
Once you are not hungry eating 1800 calories, go down another 100-it will help ease the hungries, and give your tum time to shrink, rather than go from eating a ton of calories and going to a low level-that is why people feel like they are starving when they start a diet.
As far as maintenance, when you get to your goal weight, do the same thing-up your calories 100, and if you go a while and don't gain, or lose a pound, then up them 100 more...until you find the level at which you can eat and not gain any weight back-and continue with your workouts.
With your blood sugar issues, as I have also-I find it is best controlled making sure I eat protein with each meal, rather than all carbs-like no donuts or Pop-Tarts or Fruity Pebbles for breakfast, or I feel lightheaded in an hour. If I have an egg or peanut butter with breakfast I feel much better-and if I have something sugary, I feel best if I eat it right after a meal containing protein, so I don't have the sugar rush and then the "drop" like I would if I ate it on an empty stomach. Complex carbs are also slower to rush your blood levels, such as whole wheat bread over white bread or regular wheat bread, and oatmeal, and regular slow cook brown rice over Minute rice.
Aphil
Old 10-10-2002, 12:13 PM   #176  
a little eccentric! :)

Location: Wisconsin, but longing to go home to California soon!

no donuts or Pop-Tarts or Fruity Pebbles for breakfast

WHAT?! I love Fruity (and Cocoa) Pebbles!

Sorry I've been so quiet lately. I am having relationship troubles; it's made me actually not eat at all. I realized that all I ate yesterday was:
an apple
a rice cake
a veggie dog, Chicago style, w/about 10 fries

Um, not good. Anyway, hopefully things will shape up soon. I'm gonna force food into me.

I hope you all are having a good, OP week.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:22 PM   #177  

Yeah, I love Pop-Tarts and Pebbles cereals too...but I don't like the feeling of going to pass out if I don't eat soon blood sugar drop a couple of hours later...
Sorry to hear about yout relationship troubles...My husband and I have a few issues as well that always seem to rear their ugly head...not to be too personal, but mainly my LACK of drive, if you know what I mean. I mean, I could really care less if it went down to once or twice a year...I know that is terrible, but it is how I feel about it. I love my husband, and find him attractive, but I just do not have a strong drive, and never have-it's even worse now after the kids.
Just know that no relationship is perfect, and that if you really love each other, you will try to work through things-and if for some reason it is not meant to be, then it is only because there is something better waiting for you. Either way you will be fine-I am rooting for you, and always have an ear to lend if you need it.
Take care!
Aphil
Old 10-10-2002, 04:42 PM   #178  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.....SNOWEY! I hope that all your come true! And that all your s are filled with many (hugs). .

May I add I am happy to see the face behind the message. I might be so bold as to add that you look like a very nice lady.

Continued on the next post because this one was just for Snowey.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:08 PM   #179  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Katy ~~~welcome to the thread. I didn't think about being anemic and would you beleive the DR didn't even check that now that I think about it. He really didn't do a darn thing. ugh! DRs what do we pay them for anyway?

Snowey ~~~thank you for your concerns. I know I have a lot on my plate. But really and truly I only have two college courses, work only 15 hours a week, and then family the rest of the time. I figure I am only 29 I really should be able to handle that much if not more. If I knew I could I would work at night but I don't think I can. My mom reminded me of when I was younger I would get really bad headaches and it would cause fainting spells. But it hadn't happened in so long that I didn't remember and that was not the case this time around. I have been eating better but the weight is moving much slower. I have been exercising but very slowly as well. I don't want to over do it.

Aphil ~~~I wish I could understand calorie counting better. I would be interested in the WW but right now I am in a weight challenge and I can't join anything that will aid me in dropping weight. In other words I have to work at losing weight the normal way!

Ali ~~~Sorry to hear about your troubles. There is not a single relationship out there that is perfect. I heard a joke today let me share it with all of you....

warning the joke you are about to read may contain a few offensive words...

A recent study was taken and proved that
about 80 % of women claim that their @SS is too big.
Another 10% of women claimed that their @SS is too small.
The last 10 % said that they didn't feel their was too big or too little but figured they were married to the @SS they would learn to live with it.

Pardon me for not knowing the punch line word for word but it did go something like that.

Oh by the way I love all sweet sugary kind of cereals! YUM!

Okay I have things I must get done and not enough time in my day. Actually I have a math test I must do tomorrow and then I go to work just to work for a few hours. Talk again. Bye.
Kina
Old 10-10-2002, 09:21 PM   #180  
Biker Chick!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NANCY!!!!

Rats, I knew I wouldn't be on time with it! May each successive birthday find you healthier and happier!!!

I'm glad to see your beautiful face as your avatar - lookin' mighty fine at 29!

AND congrats on the 2# down!!!

Hello to everyone else! Katy, I do a few videotapes as my exercise - Gilad's Step and Tone, which I only do 2 times a week, on my two days off, 'cause it's an hour long. The other two routines are more managable - 30 minutes each. One is just low-impact aerobics, and the other is light aerobics/with weights. Early in the spring, I did alot of walking also, but stopped that when I went back to work. I'd like to get back into it, though; every little bit helps, and the cross-training aspect is good.

I admit it too - I love sugary kid's cereals...shouldn't even have them in the house, but it serves as a 150 calorie-ish treat sometimes.

Well, ladies, this Saturday I have two fun things to do. First, Joe and I are going on my first group motorcycle ride. About a dozen others, besides us. After meeting them and returning from the ride should be about 120 miles altogether. Not crazy riding; just doing the speed limit, admiring the foliage.

Then that night, we're going out with friends; and I am going to wear those tighest black hiphugger pants in the universe, a long-sleeved button-down shirt that has spandex in it; so it's super clingy; black leather belt and black leather boots. Can you say "HO"?!?

Everyone have a great night and great day tomorrow; stay strong and focused on your own goals, and be happy that we all have strength to do it!

Your friend, Holly
Closed Thread