General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 10:56 PM   #196  

thanks aphil for the welcome and the information. i think it would be a good idea to eat small amounts of calories throughout the day. maybe i wont get so hungry towards the end of the night because that is my real weakness. night snacking. i am going to try to start my new "lifestyle" tomorrow by getting up and eating a healthy breakfast and taking a walk. is it better to eat first or walk first? you also mentioned buckwheat pancakes. i havent had those in years and that sounds so good. would you happen to have a recipe on how to make them homemade? or do you just use a mix? thanks for the info and i will let you know how i do tomorrow. it will be nice to have someplace to come and talk about how my days go. it will definitely give me motivation. thanks!
Old 10-14-2002, 08:53 AM   #197  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi,
Aimee-I use the buckwheat pancake mix made by Hodgson Mills. I make the recipe for 6-8 pancakes, and instead of 1 tablspoon oil, I change it to 1 teaspoon and 2 teaspoons water to lower the fat and calories a bit. The serving size on the box is 1/3 cup dry mix, and it takes 3/4 cup to make that batch, so I multiplied the calories in 1/3 cup by 3, to get the cals in 1 cup-then wrote down on the box side how many calories were in 3/4 cup so I wouldn't have to figure it every time. I figure the recipe by adding the cals in the mix, the egg (70), the milk, and the 1 teaspoon oil (about 35). Then you divide the total of the recipe into how many cakes you made out of it, to know the calories per pancake. It sounds a lot more difficult than it is...figuring out the calories in recipes takes a couple minutes, but it is worth it to be able to cook and eat things with your family.
I would eat before you walk if you are walking first thing in the morning-you need to have some energy after a nights sleep/fasting.
I just finished my abs and calves/thighs/butt...whew! Now on to my fave-upper body! I realy worked my thighs today-they were actually shaking a bit after I got off the leg press, and I was really gritting my teeth after that last set! (I do 3 sets of 24 reps, with a few seconds rest in between on the leg press) I am doing 70 pounds resistance on the leg press now. I am really hoping to have nice quadriceps (front thigh muscles) by next summer. I want to have that nice little indentation/muscle line in the sides of my thighs...and wear cute shorts!
I have started doing my abs first in my training, because I hate doing them, and I can just get it overwith.
Well, I better get going so I can get my upper body done!
Aphil
Old 10-14-2002, 11:42 AM   #198  

wow aphil.
sounds like you have a pretty good exercise regimen going on. i dont have many resources as far as weights and stuff. i have some videos and i can walk. lol. thats about it. thanks for the info on the buckwheat pancakes. i think i will get some. i started weight watchers points today just to have a guideline on how much to eat each day and i am getting ready to take a walk. i picked a bad day cuz it is freezing here!!! but i am gonna go anyway. maybe once i work up some body heat, i will be fine. well better go for now!
amy
Old 10-14-2002, 02:17 PM   #199  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hi aimee, and welcome!

I'm Holly, and I hope you find this place as motivating and helpful as I have.

You are fine with videos, and being able to walk! And just having the desire to get better. When I was starting to exercise, and wanted to use free weights, my husband had big honkin' ones, like 8 pounders; WAY too big for me. So I started off with soup cans! Then worked my way up to 1# weights; now I'm using 3.3 pound weights for my routine. Even a small-sounding dumbbell of 3.3 pounds has given me cool definition in my arms (after 6 months, however).

You had a good start with your desire to try the Slimfast, but no one can drink that forever...and we all have to find something we can live with for the rest of our lives. So we have to learn to eat regular, healthy whole foods, but in modest portions.

Definitely space your food allotment throughout the day. That will keep you from getting famished and "blowing it". And about that "blowing it" term - we all slip up, many many times. Don't beat yourself up about it! Just accept it; and get right back on track.

I owe all that I've been able to accomplish to the ladies here - and I'm so proud of it, and of them! I just glanced through my journal, and here are some of the important dates:
Feb. 4, 2002 - Weight 176; wearing size 14 . Started eating 1600 calories a day and exercising to videos and/or walking at least 5 times a week.
March 6 - 170
Apr. 11 - 166
May 15 - 164
June 15 - 162
July 19 - 152
Aug. 12 - 145 - into size 8 jeans by now!
Oct. 14 - 143 - have two pairs of jeans that are size 6 that fit. Never would have thought it possible!

As Aphil has reminded us, it is when you lose weight but also have been exercising, especially with weights that people notice and comment big time!

Notice the big jump down in weight from June on - that's because I was learning to ride my motorcycle; and was so consumed and preoccupied with that, I just did not think about eating. And if I did, I was so motivated to wanting to look good on that bike that I was able to make the right decisions! I was also feeling so much better physically and mentally, that it was alot easier by then to make the right decisions.

Geez, didn't mean to bore with this long post!!! But wanted to say hi, and welcome, and it just takes the desire to want life to be better for yourself and commit to some changes...and we're here to help when you're feeling discouraged/hungry/frustrated/mad/glad/whatever!

Your friend, Holly
Old 10-14-2002, 05:00 PM   #200  

Hi,
Holly-great post! I liked seeing your dates/weights thing! I keep track of my weight on the fridge on a sheet of paper, weighing in once a week and watching it slowly go down.
Aimee-doing the WW points is great-it is similar to calorie counting, just counting the same thing in a different way. I have a Slim-Fast now and then if I am out hte door in a rush, but Holly is right, it is hard to do something like that for a long period of time. It is really the same thing as calorie counting, eating the low calorie meals 2x a day, it just takes the math out of it. I would rather count and eat some oatmeal or some eggs and toast-and not be starving in 2 hours.
I have aquired my equipment over time-I got my exercise bike almost 4 years ago, and slowly began to collect videos, and I bought 2 pound weights, and then 3, and then 5, and so on. Slow as I needed the equipment. I really don't use the 2 pounders anymore, but I use the 3's now occasionally when I do exercises for very small muscle areas-like the rotator cuff of the shoulder, and some tricep exercises. For larger muscles, I usually do larger ones now-5's and 7's for biceps and lying chest exercises, 10 pounds for lying down chest/lat pulldowns-it is much easier to get them as you need them, and not all at once. I can do more on machine/gym weights-but I do most of my workout with free weights/hand weights. I got my leg press a year ago, and the rest of the leg and bun exercises I do on the floor, or with a chair for balance. You will do fine with what you have right now-do your walking, and if you have or buy a toning video that uses weights, you can get 1-5 pound ones at target or Wal-Mart pretty cheap.
Don't be afraid of weight though ladies-women cannot get bulky and gain the mass like men because of our female hormones. The no boobs she-man bodybuilders have to workout 6 hours a day and take some sort of steroid (male hormone) to get like they do.
Extra weight for us just gives our muscles a more defined look and makes them harder.
A key for weight training is to go up a size when you notice that it is starting to get easier-or every 6 weeks to a couple of months, depending on you personally.
Well, I have been starving all day long-it is getting close to TOM-of course, our trip is this weekend. Always seems to happen that way...weddings, trips, vacations...here she comes!

I at least have identified the problem-and am making a concieous effort to stay out of the kitchen and allowed myself 200 more calories today just for that reason alone. The planned 200 is a lot better than a binge!
Well, I bette go-I need to get some things done-and the the kitten away from the kids before they kill her.
Aphil
Old 10-14-2002, 05:08 PM   #201  

Default Hi All!

I can't keep up with everyone, LOL! I guess it will take me a while to get used to all of the different people posting :-) I just wanted to check in and let everyone know that I am still reading and still on track. I have been riding my bike with my son for cardio. I was very discouraged the first time we went out because I got tired way before he did. It seems like every time I can go a bit farther though. He really enjoys it when I go with him, so that is incentive to keep it going. I also picked up the Joyce Vedral book, Weight Training Made Easy and have started that workout. I am telling you, that is a real workout. I started with 5lb weights because I didn't have any 3lb weights around and I could really feel it the next day. She has you do four different exercises for each muscle for a total of 12 sets per muscle! Those muscles really get worked so I am expecting to start seeing some muscles pretty soon. I really am enjoying the workouts in the privacy of my own home. I always dreaded going to the gym and using the little dumb bells. I always felt like such a light weight!

VermontMom, your weight loss really inspires me! You have done a great job! If you don't mind my asking, what was the "click" that made you just do it this time? (I'm assuming that you had failed attempts before like me, if I'm getting too personal, just say so)

You are all a bunch of really inspiring women. I hope everyone is having a great day!

Take Care,
Katy
Old 10-14-2002, 09:21 PM   #202  
Biker Chick!

Hi Katy! You can ask anything, weight-related! I also, all my life, have started/failed on attempts. This winter, I was so tired of having all my clothes so tight; tired of the shame I felt at myself; you know, the usual! But this time, I was able to keep at it because of the support here. Really. I knew what had to be done, but felt I just couldn't do it on my own. And I had no close friends who were ready to make a change. I feel so blessed to have found this site!!!

And once I knew I was committed, I had the incentive of the dream of learning to ride a motorcycle...then when my husband bought a brand new one for me for Mother's Day, well, how's that for keeping to my plan to be fit and muscular, to ride that baby!

Hooray to you for the exercise...you will improve each day, and the successes will keep you going!

Have a nice night!

Holly
Old 10-14-2002, 09:23 PM   #203  
Biker Chick!

Talking Wonder Woman outfit!

quick note to aphil - OMG, my husband would also love to see me in that get-up!!! Golden lariet and all!!!! except I would need heavy-duty implants to fill out the top part!
Old 10-15-2002, 08:24 AM   #204  

Hi,
Katy-you will be really happy with the results from Joyce Vedral. I much prefer strength vids by serious fitness pros like her and Rachel McLish, and Denise Austin-Kathy Smith has some good ones too. I try to avoid for the most part celebrity workouts like CIndy Crawford and Cher...the only celeb I would like to see make a video is Madonna-that woman is CUT! She could be a personal trainer herself!
For those of you with limited access to videos, if you have Lifetime (cable channel) Denise Austin has two shows on in the morning, the first one is my fave. Theya re on at 6 am here-so check you times. The first is a combo-yoga/Pilates and some aerobics. It is a great morning pick me up. The second is more of a streneous workout, some days step aerobics, some days weights-but the first is my fave.
Body Electric is a great strength training show also-it is on PBS-or the Sesame Street channel at 6 am here also. All it requires is weights and a kitchen type chair. This woman is in her late 50s! She shows great form also...
Well, today is a busy day-sewing to do, it is cardio day-and I have to start getting things ready for our getaway this weekend. I am really excited. I will have to get some pics up here of us in our garb.

Be stong, and have a great day!
Aphil
Old 10-15-2002, 12:40 PM   #205  

I'm still reading, just busy. I am an RN and am starting a second job, probably just one shift per week. Aphil, very good advice about weights. When I began weights in Feb. I started with 5 lbs for bicep work and am now up to 12 lbs. Also, just for curiosity, I tried to do girlie push-ups when I started weights - barely made 5 and had to rest for 15 sec or so in between each one. I am proud to say I can now do 2 sets of 12 girlie push ups with 30 seconds rest between sets. Pretty good, huh!? And I have some pretty good biceps that are starting to really show, even through my too fat arms. I LOVE the strong feeling I have. And I just turned 56 so it is never too late. Fat loss is slow but going the right direction and I feel good. I recently reduced my carbs somewhat and added more protein because my research revealed I wasn't eating enough protein to support my lean muscle mass, which is growing as I lift. Everyone sounds like they are very motivated. Holly, you are my hero for attitude and reveling in your success. And so you should!! Nancy, congratulations on your determination to stick OP and on your success. Loved your new picture - you are a knockout!!! kewi
Old 10-15-2002, 12:54 PM   #206  

Hello everyone!! It's been a looooong while since I have posted. I have to shamefully admit that I fell completely off the wagon for a while. I have somehow managed to regress back to my unhealthy eating habits. I had to take some time away from posting because it got to the point of....okay, okay, today will be the day I stay on track...only to blow the diet again.

But I am back now..ready for a fresh new start. My husband and I are planning to join the local gym tonight, so that'll get me up off the couch in the evenings, at least.

I am trying not to beat myself up over this and move on to many new successes! I have continued to read posts (even though I was not contributing) and it sounds like everyone continues to strive toward their goal. Hopefully I can join you!!
Old 10-15-2002, 01:33 PM   #207  

Hi,
Jacklyn-so glad you are back! That is a good idea your husband going to the gym with you! it is a great motivator-for you to puch each other into going!
Kewi-great job with the weights and pushups! Even starting with soup cans like Vermont Mom did is a start-and now she has progressed over the months! Even though you may have felt like you weren't doing many girlie push ups-each day you got stronger! Good for you! Now you can do those sets!
That is such an important point! No matter what point we are starting at, or how far gone we feel we are-if we keep it up and have patience, we will be stronger every single day we eat right and work out. Every day is a gift, and we only have one body-let's cherish that and take care of them.
Patience and dilligence is the key-we don't look into the mirror while we are being lazy and eating badly, and say "Geez, why I am I not getting fatter any faster?" We had plenty of patience getting that way-we need ot apply that same patience into doing good for our bodies, and over time they WILL respond.
Oh-and I agree-Nancy IS a knockout, and she will be even more so every day she commits to this!
Aphil
Old 10-15-2002, 11:10 PM   #208  

Good evening everyone,,,

Jacklyn~~ so glad you are back...good to see you!!! Stay with us.. we all have are ups and our downs so just shake it off and
"Fah get about it"

Kewi~~ glad to see you post also!!! You are doing good with your weight routine also.. I just need to have someone give me a good kick in the behind to get me moving.
I dont know if you read my post from a few days ago , but I have a mental block when it comes to exercising. Amy, along with everyone else are working to get me motivated. I need discipline!

Holly~~ You have come a long way baby!!!! I am so happy for you!! 30 pounds gone, muscle tone, a new motorcycle and confidence to boot!!!!!! WAY to go!!!

Amy~~ How did your hair color turn out?
I sure wish I had a home gym of some sort. I know I would be more apt to do exercise then. What so you think of Curves for women? DO you think it can really tone ? We have one that just opened here. I am thinking of checking it out. DO you have any input?

Well today was day one of my new part time job. It went fine. It will be a nice filler for the long winter ahead. And of course the money will go for my Retail Therapy !!!

I am really, really homesick today, and when I get this way its hard to shake the mood.

My eating had been completely OP and I am proud to say that is one thing that I am so disciplined with ,, and I know once I start adding a daily routine of exercise along with it, my weight will come off faster. Tomorrow is WW so I will post and let you all know how I did.

Well I think Ill try to go for a walk , and maybe I can shake off the homesick blues.. (Keeping fingers crossed that I dont run across any bears)!

Have a great tomorrow everyone! Keep smiling!

Nancy

Last edited by Snowey; 10-15-2002 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:14 AM   #209  

Hello everyone! Well I am proud to say so far so good. I stayed on track yesterday with eating and joined the gym last night. Walked for about 30 minutes on the treadmill and did weights for the legs. I'm a little sore today but plan on going back to do some cardio again tonight. It feels good to get back into the swing of things. My husband is motivated as well so that makes it so much easier!! I also slept like a baby, yet another bonus from exercising! Well, I've got to get to work, I'll check in later!
Old 10-16-2002, 09:26 AM   #210  

Hi,
Nancy-we have a Curves here in town. The only thing I don't like about it, is that it kindof reminds me of musical chairs...I like to take my time and think about my form while dong the exercise, and don't want it being timed on each machine, and they tell you can come every day, but some of the machines are resistance, and you need to wait 48 hours between strength training a body part-except for abs, they can be worked every day.
I think you would get better results from the right tape and doing it on your own-not to mention cheaper. (Aphil lights fire under Nancy's booty to get her motivated and getting her equipment together)
Well-I am officially the bad big sister. My 16 year old stepsister is being a total you know what. My stepmother and my dad got together when she was only 1, and my stepmothers ex took her son, who was then 4-I was about 12 at the time. In all respects my dad raised her, and my stepbrother turned out good-he has his mother's personality-in spite of his waste of space father. Brittney has recently rebelled and moved in with her dad, and lies to her mom all of the time. She called Saturday and told her mom she wasn't coming to my dad's for his birthday because her dad and herwere in the car on their way shopping out of town. I find out from someone else last night that he was takingher out of town to sign for her to get a tattoo underage.
Well, I have tattoos-but I was of legal age to get them, and if my mom would have agreed to get me one, she would have had the decency to tell my father-even if they didn't get along. I think he did it on purpose to spite my stepmother and stick it to my dad. So-I have royally told her off, and blew the whistle on her to her mom.
It really made me mad that he was in the car with her while she lied to her mom, and was basically encouraging it-and that he decided to take her on my dad's birthday to boot. He is a real jerk-he is one of those 40 something guys that goes to clubs and tried to be cool with all of the young people-like a forever midlife crisis-he cheats on his new wife, drinks all the time,etc.
We'll see how it all pans out.
Today is strength training day-I need to get up and moving. I have to finish Jasons pants for this weekend also, and get my dress "Dryeled".
Aphil
Closed Thread