General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 11:20 PM   #181  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Wink Gosh... Friday Already!

Hi girls!! Just a quick post, I just finished my subway salad and diet coke and have a few mins before I hit the stacks of paper beside my desk. Where has this week gone?

Happy Birthday Nancy!!

Good to hear you got two good pressies, weight loss AND a job!

Holly, you are so going to love the group ride. We do 90% of our riding with a group and i LOVE it.

I am booked for a track day on Nov 19 sponsored by the motorbike police. It is on high speed cornering and will be on a real car/bike race track. There will be a speed limit that day to 110 km (65 miles I think). I am so excited about that! Just call me Valentino Rossi!! Hubby gets to go too because we have 2 bikes now. It is going to be a good day.

Katy I also do WW here in Aus. I love it and weigh in is tomorrow. I hope there is another loss!

I am taking a friend to WW tomorrow. She is my biker friend (she is a geek during the week!) and has done WW before. I hope it will be a positive move to bring her along. She better be serious cause I sure am !!

Just thought I would quickly check in and say hi..... I will post more later this weekend!

Take care everyone, stay on plan and eating healthy!!

Nola.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:07 AM   #182  

Thank you everyone for the birthday greetings!
Did I tell you all that I am 29?????

Have a great night everyone... I 'll post more tomorrow....

Night Night

Nancy
Old 10-11-2002, 09:35 AM   #183  
a little eccentric! :)

Location: Wisconsin, but longing to go home to California soon!

Happy b-day, Nancy! Woo!
(Sorry I'm a day late.)

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. The @ss joke cracked me up. Hee hee.

TGIF! I need a vacation! ::sigh::
Old 10-11-2002, 09:50 AM   #184  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Kina,
What did you mean when you said you were on a weight challenge, and had to learn to lose the normal way?
If you were not wanting to try Weight Watchers or counting calories because you were afraid of not understanding it or it being a "diet" don't worry.
It is losing weight the most normal and natural way there is. I guess us calorie and points counters because it is such an old system just assume everyone knows what it is all about-I guess I'll get into a little more detail for those that don't understand as well, and for the newbies.
A calorie is a unit of energy-like a measurement-just like an ounce or pound, except it is a measurement of energy, rather than a measurement of length or weight.
Your body burns so many calories each day just going through everyday life-walking, sleeping, digesting food, everything your body does takes energy. When you exercise your body burns off more than usual.
Everything you eat has calories, or the units of energy to fuel your body. If you take in about the same amount as your body burns, you maintain your current weight. If you eat more than you burn, you gain. If you eat less than you burn off, you lose.
It is the basic science of how the body works. Any doctor or nutritionist will tell you this. If you eat more calories than your body burns over a period of time, you get overweight-which is pretty much what happened to all of us.
All we do is count the calories of what we eat and keep track of them, to make sure we are eating less than we are burning. For most of us, that is somwhere between 1300-1900 calories a day.
The majority of people have no idea how many calories they eat-my mother in law, for instance, does not eat large portions of food, but she drinks about 4 Pepsi's a day-there is 600 calories right there in soda pop-1/2 to 1/3 of most of our daily diets-but most people do not know where the hidden calories are in what they eat.
This is one of the whole reasons I started this whole thing last year-there are so many low carb, no carb, take this pill, get a prescription, eat cabbage all day type of diets, that people want a quick fix-and the whole scientific and doctor approved approach to weigh loss is swept under the rug...and we are all living proof that it works. Slow and Steady wins the race. (How many people have you seen on the 48 hour diet commercial that have kept that 10 pounds off once they were past that 48 hours? )
Calorie counting helps us ensure that all of our daily calories are right out there, written down, so we know each day exactly what goes in our bodies. If I have a 5 calorie glass of Crystal Light-I write it down-5 may not be much, but if I have a tootsie roll midgie and a bite of my daughters cookie, and so on, those little calories can sneak up on you. This is where the "I don't know why I am fat-I don't eat that much!" comes into play...they don't realize how much they HAVE actually eaten.
It's not a diet plan, nor does it control what foods you eat-it is your decision. All it does is KEEP TRACK of how much you consume each day, so you know for a fact what you are taking in.
I hope this is helpful to any of those who are new, or who lurk at this board, and are afraid of counting calories, because they don't understand what it is-most diets nowadays call for eating this and that at a certain time of the day, and none of those, that you never know what you are signing up for...
Today is weight training day eveyone-YIPPEE!!! For all of you ladies who are interested in weight training past lighter pound dumbells and want some serious curves and muscle definition-I recommend you go to www.joycevedral.com-it is the only site where you can get weight training videos for women that show you how to do the workouts with such intensity and exactness-such as someone said in an earlier post about the instructor talking and 2 more reps becoming 4... Take a look at this woman-she is in her 50's! She is the reason I fell in love with weight training a few years ago, and I have corresponded with her on a few occasions-she is very gracious. Her videos are a bit more expensive, but they work that much better...I also recommend theweight training video by Rachel McLish if anyone wants another weight training challenge. I think Rachel is about the sexiest muscled woman on the planet...you can get that one at Collage video or Amazon online.
For those of you who have read my journal, I am not aiming for the mass of a female American Gladiator, but more for the lean muscle of Sarah Connor in Terminator 2-the scene where she was working out in the psych ward is forever etched in my mind...women cannot gain large mass unless some sort of "help" is involved, but with larger weights and the right training, this is more of the physique that is attainable.
That reminds me of a story...my mother is a very petite size 6, and she has been working out with weights, and at my daughter's party last month, my husband's best friend, who is a big guy, was talking about weight training with me, and I told him that in women the "pumped up effect " isn't really there unless you just finish a workout, or flex it on purpose-that you just have nice tone and firm shape. I called my mom over, and had her take off her blazer to just her tank top, and flex-her arms and shoulders...you should have seen his face! I beleive what he said was. something like "I am going to have to watch what I say to her...she might kick my ***!"
I cracked up.
Vermont Mom-your going out outfit sounds great...put those black pants to use woman!
Hey, I wanted to start a topic here to talk about a bit...when you get to your goal weight, or to your next mini goal weight, what are you going to do to reward yourself? When I reach mini goals, I usually have a haircut or buy a nail polish or something like that...but when I get to my goal weight, it sounds silly, but I'd like to get all new bras and undies...nothing too wild, but cute matching ones...and the more expensive matching ones like Bali...and look in the mirrow when I put them on everyday, and prance around a bit before I finish getting dressed.
What would all of you like to do for yourselves? I'd like to hear your ideas...
Aphil
Old 10-11-2002, 01:40 PM   #185  

Default Can I be saved????

Amy~~~

I love reading your online journals. I think it is a great idea to post daily menus on here. I know it helps me along the way when I read what others are eating to stay on program.
Your enthusiasm for exercise should be commended !!!!

I am so committed to losing weight but I am totally slacking when it comes to exercise. I really do have a mental block. Let me explain. For so many years I have been suffering from pain off and on in my chest. I have been through tests of all kinds and they have not been able to find anything wrong. So instead of believing the doctors, I still think that if I really exert myself physically, Ill end up having a heart attack. This is has prevented me from doing anything except walking and the occasional little arm weights. So after years of being over weight (at one time 304 pounds) I am the "Queen of Flab" I hate my arms and my thighs. I also have a mental block when it comes to toning. I figure there is no way in **** I'll ever get this body into shape. Am I a mess or what????????

Even though my face is still looking young and has no wrinkles,(thanks to 25 years of Oil Olay , purchased in 55 gallon drums)
its my arms that look like so awful (it would be ok if I was a flying squirrel) and my thighs could really benefit from a "Suzanne Somers Thighmaster surgically implanted into them"

SO,,,, I am desprately seeking any kind of advice that would help me shake off this mental block that prevents me from exercising.

Do you think that maybe the pain in my chest from time to time, is due to lack of muscle tone?
Do you think that surgery would be the only way to go to change my arms and thighs?
Do you know any personal trainers that would want to move up to the Great White North and help a flabby middle aged (oops I forgot 29 yr old) find the muscle tone that she lost back in 1971?????????
Do you think that I should be a guest on the "Dr Phil " show???
OR would I be better off on the "Jerry Springer" show titled,,,,, "Loose Skinned Women Gone Wild"

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do I start???????

Nancy

Last edited by Snowey; 10-11-2002 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:57 PM   #186  

Hello all,
Nancy-I just wanted to say YES you can be saved!!!! The great thing about weight training is that uless you are doing the moves very quickly, you are not getting your heart rate up like you do when you are doing joggin, aerobics, etc. so DO NOT WORRY about the chest pain.
Walking, jogging, dancing, aerobics-all are to burn calories and to get your heart rate up to strengthen your heart and lungs-while weight training does elevate your heart rate like that-what it does is firm up your arms, firm your chest-uplifting the breasts, pull in those poochy abs, and firm those flabby thighs! If you are scared to do anything strenuous because of your heart, then just continue with the walking, but definitely do the weight and resistance training! Weight training also prevents osteoporosis by strengthening the bones-they have started telling women if they haven't already, to definitely start doing it when menopause is knocking on the door...
While the upper body, and some leg exercises are done with weights, usually abs and buttocks are not, you use your own body as resistance, such as with crunches.
If you want to "be saved" and firm up-then I will get you going! It is amazing how much of that flab can get toned up!
I want to start you on sort of a beginners program-get online and order Denise Austin's Get Fit Fast Tapes-there are three-one for the upper body, lower body, and abdominals. You should be able to get them at Collage Video, or you can get them at www.denise austin.com. The reason I recommend these for you is because they have three workouts on each tape-the first level is for beginners, and after you feel comfortable and can do all of that, then you go up to the intermediate level, then the third is the final level. The workouts are only 10-15 minutes for each body section, so they are time savvy. Do each one twice a week, you can do them all two days a week, or you can do one every day for six days a week-like upper body on Monday and Thursday, abs on Tuesday and Friday, and lower body on Wednesday and Saturday, for instance-whichever works best for you. In a a month or so, you will really start to feel more toned in your biceps and shoulders, and in 6 months with continued weight loss, you will feel like a new woman.
I also wanted to ask you if you are under a lot of stress, or if you are "high strung." The reason I ask, is because I have anxiety attacks, usually if I am tense or have a lot going on. It doesn't usually happen, say, right before an event, like public speaking, but more like later on. I get chest pain and strong fast heart palpitations, and it last for about a minute or two-and then just stops. Sometimes lightheadedness also happens during, or a sweat.
Something funny happened since my last post-Joyce Vedral emailed me! She told me how happy she was that I was taking control again, and wants me to send her my before and afters when I am at goal, and actually urged me to send some "durings" because she is impatient!
She puts lots of befores and afters in her books and on her site...wouldn't that be awesome to actually be a before and after in a book! So there's some extra motivation for me...
Well, I better go-I have to rinse off this hair color-I wasn't kidding in my journal when I said I was painting my toenails red and my hair the same color today!

Aphil
Old 10-11-2002, 04:00 PM   #187  

Just letting you know I am cracking up at the flying squirrel thing...you CAN get that body into shape!!! You can!!!! Look at Richard Simmons, Jared the Subway boy, Mrs. Jim here at 3FC-all of these people have been severely overweight, and have GREAT bodies now!
Old 10-11-2002, 09:37 PM   #188  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Whoo-eee! I can just FEEL the inspiration and excitement crackling here!

Nancy, you are SO humorous when you poke fun at yourself; but I agree with Amy, exercise is the way to go. I can totally understand your trepidations with the chest pains; but I would say that as long as you are under regular doctor's care, and have had those concerns checked, you are safe to go ahead with weight working. I can only forsee good things happening with strengthening muscles.

In my oh-so-humble opinion, I would be scared of surgery...I have read of folks going that route once they have lost weight, and exercised, and had no other recourse to take care of lots of loose skin...but it just seems so invasive. But it's something so personal only you could decide...

But I am psyched to have Amy take you under her muscular wing and give you guidance and advice! And I will cheer you on also!!!

Amy, great info on calorie/energy info. And girl, we BOTH admired Sarah's arms in T-2, I guess! I remember thinking how sexy and strong she appeared in that scene...

I have seen Joyce V.'s site, but long ago...I'm going to check it out right now and get re-inspired! I owe alot to the tapes I have been doing, but variety would help, too.

Kanola, COOL that you get to do a track day!!! The closest one to me is in New Hampshire, which isn't really terribly far, but would be a long day trip. Hooray that you've got the second bike! It is so great when married people can do fun things together like that. The weather is looking "iffy" for the ride tomorrow; as long as it's not actively raining or misting, I still want to go. I think I'm going to wear my hot pink fleece neck warmer, which with the all black leather outfit is the only "flag" that I'm female, I think...

Alison, sorry that I didn't respond to your post about the relationship problems... I hope that things are working out for you.

Amy, I liked the story about your mom! Congrats to her for working out, and looking great!

Hi Kina, hope that you have not been feeling overwhelmed lately! It seems that is ALWAYS is the female in the family who is the glue that holds it all together...very big responsibility, isn't it. I hope you are taking good care of yourself.

Let's see, I have rewarded myself with...suggestive and slinky underclothing!! Actually, husband has picked out lots of things from the Internet, and they arrive in the mail, and it's a total surprise for me to open them and find...ready?...(WARNING - suggestive stuff here!) fishnet body stocking (your b**bs stay up in place! cool!), black lace bras, halter tops, lacy thongs...hmmm, see where this is going? I must say, feeling good about myself has also translated into more desire into the intimate realm...which makes husband delirious. Wow, yet ANOTHER good side effect of eating better and exercising!

A big hello to those we haven't heard from in a while - the expecting Christine; tryin'hard; jacklyn, Latisia, and our long-lost Melisa. Hope you're all doing well! Say hello!!!

Well, wish me no rain tomorrow!

Have a nice night.

Your friend, Holly
Old 10-12-2002, 01:11 AM   #189  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

What a change of pace from flying squirrels to lacey thongs...hmmm. The picture of the two just don't add up other than a mess of something I don't want to think about. LOL. Just kidding all but if someone were to just skim over the reading material I think that is the picture that would come to mind.

Snowey~~~I'm sorry to hear of your discomfort but if the DR could not find anything medically wrong I would think that simple 2lb hand weights would be a great start for you. I have the same problem with my underarms. But I think I caught early. Since my highest weight was only 225 and am really cracking at it now. I think I may have hope.

Holly~~~Ooo La La! My husband would love for me to get that daring but I am just not that comfortable in my skin. Although he reminds me constantly that I wore all those things while I was pregnant. But I remind him that I had a reason for being over weight and having a Santa belly hangy every which way. Now such is NOT the case. Maybe if I go and buy something sexy I would be more inspired to continue my efforts. Now that is something to think about...? Well enjoy your new toys!

Aphil~~~Lots of information coming from you lady. Thank you! Oh about the weight challenge thing. Well it is a weight challenge my family has going on and we have rules set that we are not allowed to join a gym, seek the proffessional help of a DR for prescribed diet pills, no surgerical weight loss, and no joining of WW or Jenny Craig. They were just the rules that were set in order to inspire everyone to get down the basics and do it the healthy way of regular exercise and just eating right but with no help from anything other than your own willpower. It has been a great journey. Now see if you were to tell me what to eat and how much then I wouldn't be paying you nor joining any kind of weight loss system. So that would be okay. The challenge will be ending soon I don't think that I will have lost so much. We will see.

Ali~~~Glad you liked the joke. I hope you are doing well. We haven't heard from you as much as we have in the past. Take care!

Nola~~~How are you holding up? I hope everything is going well.

Okay well it is quite late and I think I am headed for bed. I just wanted to say a quick hello to everyone. I have many things coming up and I am looking forward to all of them with bright shining eyes. Don't you just love air? Do you ever think of the simple things? Like finding a very quiet spot and just let your thoughts take over but the rule is to only allow positive thoughts? Do you ever just stand up from where you're at and then do some silly dance because you just love your life? I do those silly things alot. Look in the mirror at yourself and just give yourself a HUGE smile...and watch and see how that will change your day. I do that one a lot also. Okay enough of life's simplistics. I will let you all go now.
Many hugs to you all; until next time.
Kina
Old 10-12-2002, 06:08 AM   #190  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default Saturday Night!

Not tool time either!!

It was 'update the stats time' cause I lost again this week!! 0.8 Kilos or 1.75 pounds. Wow.... must have been those classes at the gym. It rocked this week. I am so motivated and upbeat and ready to face another week.

You guys are so great. What a place for positive words.

Nancy - You can be saved. Just a few weights and you are on track to the toning. Once the weight starts coming off, you will in no time see some results. In today's meeting, they talked about doing weights. There are so many positive reasons to get out there and 'pump' it up! I would take Holly's advice and get ahold of some videos.

Holly - you go girl with the hot outfit. You are going to be stopping traffic!! Wooohoo!! I agree with the effects of exercise and healthy eating translating into feeling better about yourself and that working its way into relationships. Although, try spending up to 8 months on different continents.... that is a major problem!! You will never have a 'headache' in your LIFE!!!

Aphil - you always have the informative posts. I wish I could contribute as much knowledge as you do!! Thanks for your posts.

Well... I must head off to bed..... I am exhausted after a day on the bike, an hour long walk and hubby is out with the boys playing computer geek games..... so I am going to put a movie in, probably fall asleep with a kitty cat and wake up when he comes home around midnight.

Take care everyone, have a good weekend!!
Old 10-12-2002, 09:56 AM   #191  

Good morning everyone!
I have just finished breakfast, and am getting ready to go out of town to see my father for his birthday, and to go with my husband to an 1812 war reinactment. I ate a pretty large breakfast for me-eggs and whole wheat toast and some fruit-I did this because I wanted to pack a meal replacement bar in my purse for lunch at the reinactment festival. I am taking charge in avoiding all of the festival food-which I am sure will be fatty and terrible for you.
I will get a lot of walking done today while I am there, so that will be my exercise!
Snowey-I agree you should start with the light two pound weights, and slowly go up from there when they sart to get too easy. The chest pains could also have been contributed to your weight if it was at a higher level-you said you have been close to 300 pounds-and now you are MUCH less...and I neglecte to mention there is also another beginners video that would eb good for you, besides the Denise austin ones-It can also be purchased at collage video-it is called Getting in Shape with Weights for Dummies. It is just like the bright yellow Dummies books-and while you are doing the workout, it goes through what a rep is, what a set it, and how to use proper form, and what body part each exercise if for-very good information for beginners. They not only show you what to do, but explain why!
You know-talking about the negligee...hee hee-my husband also bought me a black body stocking once...it was like wearing a full bodysuit of black lace pantyhose! Very comfortable, but I felt like an idiot! There just must be something about those that men love-they all seem to pick those out of the Fredericks catalogs! Those and thongs...I am more of a red satin spaghetti strap chemise type of girl, or a bust enhancing corset...more of a Victoria's secret type-but my husband seems to have more of the taste of M's husband! We were in Fredericks one day, and he saw a Wonder Woman suit-red bustier, blue panties with stars, the wrist cuffs-even a rops! He thought it was the greatest thing ever! I said no way-EVER. Men.
Well, I better get going-I have to get the kids and myself ready to go! Have a good day everyone!
Love,
Aphil-BIG HUGS TO ALL OF YOU!!!

Old 10-12-2002, 02:35 PM   #192  

Hi Everyone,,

Thanks so much for the feedback on the exercising. I know I need to do it and I need to START NOW...
I will find the videos that you have all mentioned and I will transform my body.. I will get muscle tone !!!!!

Nola~~ Way to go on more pounds down!!!!!

Amy~~ Have a great time today! Will you be my cyber personal trainer?

Holly~~ I hope the weather is good for you so you can cruise around in your leathers !

Alison~~ I hope things are better your way and that you are feeling good.

Kina~~ I love your outlook on life. Will look at myself in the mirror today and smile also!!!

Katy,Kewi, Jacklyn, Latisia, Tryinhard, Melisa, Christine and everyone else I may have missed ...come back and say hi!

Well , am off to finish making crustless pumpkin pies,, we are going to SIL for Canadian Thanksgiving dinner... am going to stay totally OP .. I also made a great Broccoli, Cauliflower salad that is only 1 point per cup. No reason for me not to stay OP,, with the good stuff that Ill be bringing.....

Have a great day everyone....
BBL

Nancy
198.8/192.4/150ish?
Old 10-12-2002, 11:00 PM   #193  

Boy it is getting late...I am really tired.
Today was a great day-I walked about 2 miles at the festival today-and can you beleive it, I found some "settler food" I could eat-so I go tto ahve lunch there with my husband. While my husband ate fatty stuff, there was a guy there who made a big kettle of stew over a fire-it was meatless. It was pretty much a peasant stew made of wild rice and potatoes and carrots, served in a small bread bowl. It was really good, and I estimated the cals by what it was made out of.
I had a great time with my Dad today, we got a kitten from his house for the kids, and his birthday present went over really well. He didn't say much about it, but I could tell. Before my grandmother passed away almost 2 years ago, she made my dad a from scratch german chocolate cake with homemade icing-really rich. It is sortof a secret family recipe-and it was his present for his birthday every year. Well, I decided to keep that tradition going. I got hold of her recipe, and when he saw it-he knew exactly what it was.
Well, better get going now-have a good night everyone-and yes, Snowey, I will be your trainer!
Amy
Old 10-12-2002, 11:36 PM   #194  

hello everyone. i am kind of new to this site, although i started out with slim fast and posted over there. however, i dont think slim fast is my thing. at first they were yummy (or at least thats what i was telling myself) but then my other side started screaming " i cant take it anymore!" i am so tired of spending money and trying all of these different things. i think this is the thread i need to spend some time on because i want to concentrate on just eating better and exercising. just a little about myself, i am 210 and 5'4. my pre-pregnancy weight 5 years ago (lol) was 140. i am just gonna hit small goals first and start with walking and eating healthier, smaller portions. not to mention that it is alot cheaper. reading the posts here everyone sounds so nice, i cant wait to get to know you guys. by the way, any tips on controlling your appetite? i know that skipping breakfast is a big no-no, but it seems like when i eat in the morning i am hungry the rest of the day. but if i dont eat breakfast, i can go until suppertime without being hungry and i know that isnt healthy.
thanks for listening!
amy
Old 10-13-2002, 05:11 PM   #195  

Welcome Amy!
I am the other Amy! ha ha
My first advice to you would be to definitely spread out your food intake throughout the day-making sure you eat breakfast and lunch, and a small snack each day, as well as your dinner. When you fast until dinner, your body goes into starvation mode and starts conserving calories (burning them off at a slower rate) because it thinks you are starving and is trying to save your life. This goes back to olden times when there were hard times and famine.
To avoid the hungries, make sure you have a little protein at every meal-such as meat/poultry/fish, peanut butter, an egg, yogurt, beans,cottage cheese, or soy. Having only a bagel or muffin for breakfast, even a large one, is pretty much only carbs, and it won't stay with you as long.
For your height and weight-I would recommend you start out eating about 1600 calories a day. This should enable you to lose about 2 pounds a week without starving. I recommend if you do not have one, a book that has the calorie content of foods-while most prepackaged ones have them, foods like veggies and fruits and some restaurant items do not-so it helps out to have one. Also, if there is a fast food place you like, check out the nutrition info here on this site or on the chain's website, and find the lower calorie choices.
Try to split your meals up evenly, rather than hoarding calories all day and having a huge dinner-example:
breakfast-300 calories
lunch-400 calories
snack-100 calories
dinner-700 calories
snack-100 calories
total:1600 calories
After you do it for a while, you can switch it around a bit to better suit your needs, say if you like lunch to be your largest meal, or if you are not a snacker.
I recommend at least one of your snacks be fruit. If you need ideas for low calorie meals, just holler-we all have our favorites and we will throw a few your way!
Since you are a mommy, the easiest exercise for you may be walking with your child in the stroller, or doing a video at naptime. I know it is almost impossible for me to join a gym, so I walk with the kids, and get up early before they wake up to do my workouts.
Today was a good day! I went shopping, and bought a new weightlifting book, and two new tops. I got up and made whole wheat/buckwheat pancakes for breakfast for everyone, one healthy thing my husband will actually eat.
Oh-Snowey-before I forget! That weights video I recommended to you-Shaping up with weights for Dummies-is on Ebay-(new copies) for cheaper than in the store-I checked today-if you are an Ebay member! It normally sells for $9.99 plus shipping, so maybe you can save a couple bucks.
Well, I better get going-I have to get dinner started!
Aphil
Closed Thread