Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2001, 09:57 AM   #226  
Give Peace A Chance !

Hi everybody,

THE TREADMILL SAGA IS AT A CLOSE!!!!

I BOUGHT THE TREADMILL!!!! It is a Pro-Form 755 CS
I got it at sears, it has all the bells and whistles and I can't wait to get it delivered. It will be here on Sat. I really wanted it to be delivered friday on my birthday but no such luck. I will get my money's worth out of this piece of equipment and thats for sure.

I'll check in a little later, I need to get going for now.

HAVE A GOOD ALL!!!
Old 10-16-2001, 09:57 AM   #227  

Default Hey

Liz- I know you are going to do this too. Don't think about it ,just do it. You will not be giving up anything, just doing things differently.
Hello Michaela- However you do it ,it should be the same results.. I counted calories on the WW eating plan and found they averaged out to around 1200 cal per day. That is concidered a losing plan. Go for it. Your friend and you can help each other a lot. Let us know how it works out.
Hello Tazmani- Lynock. How are you?
I walked 3.5 miles yesterday.That seems to be my limit.. My knees start hurting. I have already had one knee replacement.
See you all later...Joanne
Old 10-16-2001, 03:38 PM   #228  

JoanneD, ooof I screen alot of patients whom have just had an ORIF in their knees. It's painful, but most say they are glad they got it, cause without it..they couldn't walk at all. but any surgery is scarey!! Here's to healthy knees. It's got to be alittle frustrating to be so close...and not get it off. Because I was in a little rut there...the nutrionitst I go to, suggested replacing at least on of my meals (either breakfast or lunch) with a liquid meal replacment, just to get me over the edge. I haven't done it cause, I dislike them, and I love to eat, and don't want to start losing on a liquid diet...then have problems switching back. But it may just be the push your looking for.
Good Luck on the treadmill Taz. I've used mine yesterday...it's harder on that then walking. I walk about 4 miles in the morning, with getting SOB, I did .5 miles on the tread...and my heart was pounding!!! It's hard!! I don't have to use the arms, and I don't, but it gives you a work out.
Old 10-17-2001, 09:42 AM   #229  
Give Peace A Chance !

Good morning all,

Just poped in to say Hi, I'm on my way out to walk now. It is dry out side and the sun is out. it is cold but I'll bundle up real good.

Hope everone has a good day!!

Last edited by Tazmani77; 10-17-2001 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-18-2001, 08:18 AM   #230  

Good chilly morning all!!! It's 34 degrees at 6:30am this morning. With all my layering, gloves, and earmuffs..didn't phase me. I enjoyed my walk this morning! As long as there isn't snow on the ground...I'll do fine! Weigh in last night...I gained .2 pounds...but I think I really stayed even...we'll find out next week. Last week, I had on a light t-shirt and shorts....this week, long pants, and a turtleneck...so I'm ok with that.
How is everyone? My husband and I are suppose to go to Niagra Falls at the end of the month. We are thinking of just staying home, and cleaning out the attic...so vacation vs. cleaning??? The attic really needs cleaning...and we never have the same days off, except Sundays..and we usually do something fun (not clean the attic) We have been living in the same house for 14 years...and most of the stuff in the attic, was moved there from our last place of 10 years...and has never been touched. I'd like to just throw it all out.....but my husband says he has important stuff!!! (he hasn't seen it in 14 years...but it's important..LOL)Any one else got a spouse that's a pack rack???
I actually did one mile on the treadmill yesterday. I have found a pace that I can breath/and no heart pound with. I'm sure it takes time to adapt to it. It is not the same as walking!!!
Good walking everyone
Old 10-18-2001, 02:53 PM   #231  

Default Hi ladies

It is a little cooler in Florida these days. It is in the 50's and 60's nights and early morning. The afternoons are absolutely beautiful though. Currently it is sunny with a cool breeze and the temp. is 76. It is the perfect walking weather for me.

I've been getting some serious power walks lately. This morning I walked 4 1/2 miles. First thing this morning I walked my dog at her stop and sniff pace for 20 minutes. I considered that my warmup. I took her home and drove to the grass track I love to use. I walked 3 miles in 46 minutes and then 1 final mile much slower as a cooldown.

I use a heart rate monitor. It lets me know when I need to speed up my pace enough to burn fat, and when to slow down to keep from over exerting my heart. They sell them online for up to $300. They are probably more for professional athletes. I bought mine from AVON through their wellness catalog for about $70. Since then I've seen them at Wal-Mart for $40.

Joanne, I'm 32 years old. To break through the plateau you will have to shake up your routine a bit. Your body may be getting used to what you have been doing. You are apparently getting enough exercise to maintain your current weight. You will need to move your body in a different way to get it to drop more pounds. Try adding yoga, pilates, low impact aerobics, or light strength training to your current amount of walking for at least a month and see if that does the trick. Good luck.

My weight loss efforts are showing again. 2 more pounds gone since last Friday. I must be doing something right.

Take Care Everyone!
Old 10-19-2001, 08:37 AM   #232  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TAZZ!!!! And how are you going to celebrate? An extra walk? Some no pudge brownies? A new outfit? Celebrate!! I usually take myself somewhere nice..and spend time just for me. Like a massage!!! Yum

I threw away the rest of the lowfat snacks!!! Had too! Temptation is too great just to eat the whole bag. I do wish I had more control...but!! I hate to see anything go to waste!!

I've decided I like walking in the colder weather. My cheeks get so pink!! The walk feels much more relaxing...I'm walking at a faster pace..but I'm staying cool..no hot sweaty sticky...you all know.

I have a friend who is trying to get motivated to start walking...but she says she's always so tired when she gets home from work. Do you all find, that even if your "tired" from work, that you walk gives you more energy? On the days that I don't walk in the morning..I find I'm more tired. Is that weird..or do you all find that too?
good walking..chat with you all on Monday.
Old 10-20-2001, 05:33 AM   #233  

Default Hi Lynn

Tell your friend that I work on my feet all day and work out immediately after work before sitting down or winding down every other day and the pounds are jumping off me. If I try to rest first, I may get lazy and skip the exercise. If I'm truly tired I go to the track anyway start out walking slowly and usually get motivated to move faster later. She doesn't have to run a marathon. Tell her to start with a very short walk and get used to fitting exercise into her day. She will gain endurance, speed, and energy as days go by. It is only 7 weeks into my plan, and now I just exercise out of habit. I haven't missed my exercise day in nearly a month now. I started out walking 1/4 miles slowly and now I walk 4miles, 3 of them quickly.

Once she exercises regularly she will gain energy. I am far more productive at work and at home since becoming more fit. Yes, I do get a burst of energy during and after working out tired. I am opposite of you on the other question. On days I exercise in the morning it takes me longer to recover than in the evenings.

Take Care
Old 10-20-2001, 09:20 AM   #234  
Give Peace A Chance !

Good morning,

Thanks Lynn for your wonderful birthday wishes. I did have a wonderful birthday and it was all about me. My kids made it a special day for me and I really loved that.
I know what you mean about the snacks. I can't have anything around that isn't on my food plan. It is just too much temptation for me to sabatoge myself.
I feel much better when I get my walk in everyday too. It just feels like something is missing all day long when I don't get to do it. once your friend jumps on the band wagon there'll be no stopping her. Keep encouraging her and leading by examlpe. she join in.

My treadmill comes today............OH BOY!!!!

I'm getting a personal trainer on Monday. Between the two of them and my food plan by my birthday next year I should be in the shape and size I want to be. Fingers crossed as we speak.

Well I'm on my way out to walk, so I'll talk to you all later.
Have a good day.
Old 10-22-2001, 09:06 AM   #235  

Default Hey There

Vivica- Where are you at in Central Fl.?? I live in Tarpon Springs. We could be neighbors.
Tazz- I have been in North Fl. for a few days and so much has happened. You had a birthday.. HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!Birthdays are always special.
Lynock- Now I have to get back into my routine! It has been a fat weekend. My G/Daughter turned 20. I am like everyone else.Control means out of sight for me too.
I hope you girls enjoy your treadmils. My son just bought a new fancy one. Mine is old but still works . I use it when I can't walk outside.
Got to get busy. Talk to you all later..Joanne
Old 10-22-2001, 10:04 AM   #236  

Hey gals! Snow on the ground here in Canada....now I really have an excuse for not walking I haven't lost hope.......anyhow have a good week everyone! liz
Old 10-22-2001, 10:30 AM   #237  

Good morning everyone
It is time for me to get seroius.The last couple of days have been pretty good but they could have been better.
I hope everyone has a great day.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:13 PM   #238  

You have to love New England!!! Last Friday when I as walking..it was cold enough to snow...Yesterday it was 74 out, and will be in the 80's by Wednesday..but will cool down a bit for the weekend low 70's...shessss!!
JoanneD...love that "fat weekend" as a description!!! I find I have real control during the week, and the weekends...can only be described as your "fat weekends". but this weekend I was in control. I know I'm going out with friends on Wednesday night...so I'm not having a problem sticking to the program this week. I've also seen that I'm walking whenever I get a chance..and not using the car!!! They are on program too, and Wednesday is weigh in...so we are going to go out after. I have a gift cert. that was given to me by my boss for my birthday in June....haven't used it as it's for 50 dollars...thats a lot of food at this Italian rest. So the four of us are going to us it...what ever is over they all can pay!!
Liz...snow isn't an excuse...it's a reason!!! How about some tapes? In my neighborhood (city) we have to shovel off our sidewalks or get fined. So the first day after snow...I'm not expecting to be able towalk...but after that..it should be ok.
Micheala...another day...another new start!! You are too serious...you sound like your beating yourself up!! One of the girls at WW started kick boxing as her exercise...she loves it...she gets to kick a dummy....hey an idea!! Now where is that husband!!!
Good walking all!!
Old 10-24-2001, 09:34 AM   #239  

Default Hey There

Lynock- Kick boxing huh! There are times I could use my hubby as the dummy. I probably would throw my back out. I have been trying to get back on target. At least I am still at high goal.
Liz- I thought all you guys who lived in the snow countries were experts at walking in the snow? No excuses now.. Set a goal till the end of the year.
Michaela- I agree ,it is time to get busy.. I just don't know what else I can do. I walk 3 miles every evening and never seem to stop for a minute during the day. I write down everything I eat and slip only once in a while. Any ideas?
Hello Taz- did you get on the tread and forget to get off?
Hello Vivica.. Where are you...
Bye You All...Joanne
Old 10-24-2001, 11:12 PM   #240  

Cut me some slack....first snow fall always throws us Been busy for sure, haven't sat for more than a couple moments in the past several days...looked over my points, wentdown in points 3 lbs ago and haven't changed my eating enough, thinked I figured out why I have been at such a stand still.....we will see what a difference it makes..........also have been struggling with a cold and haven't felt much like drinking water but still managing about 1500 mls of water. Anyhow I shall carry on, keep on keeping on everybody Thanks for the support and the occassional kick in the butt Liz in Canada
Closed Thread