Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 10-12-2003, 10:01 AM   #226  

Thanks Bella I will let you know how I do.Pat
patb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 06:47 PM   #227  
VOW
Vegan for Health!

To patb4

Quote:
It was really my own fault as I did not stick to the right way of eating although I realize diabetes is a progressive disease.
Hon, DON'T waste another moment beating yourself up over that thought! Diabetes is progressive, and you don't necessarily suffer the progression through your "own fault."

An EXCELLENT book for all Type 2 Diabetics is by Gretchen Becker, "The First Year Type 2 Diabetes: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed." Even though you've had diabetes longer than a year, there is a LOT you could get from this book. One of her very first chapters is, "It's Not Your Fault."

Peace be with you,
~VOW
VOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:22 AM   #228  

Thanks WOW I will look the book up. I must try not to blame myself we have enough think about without worrying about what caused this. Pat
Old 10-20-2003, 03:47 PM   #229  

Hi ladies - I see some newbies have joined us; welcome aboard.

Sorry I've been AWOL lately. Just haven't been to the library in a few days (for all the newbies, I don't have a home computer, I use the computer at the library).

I'm in a funk right now. I have not been watching my diet. Emotions are taking over and I'm using food as a release valve. However, my blood sugars have been normal. I have gotten into trouble here because I have found that with the medication and eating sweets my blood sugars aren't going up which makes me think "hey, it's okay, no damage done". This is not good and I need to get a new mind set going.

I just noticed that Lisa and Venetia live in the same city; that's great.

Hope you all have a good day.
dixiedarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 03:09 PM   #230  

I saw my dr Mon; my blood work was fine and my blood pressure was fine. My weight was up 6 lbs, but I'm not down about it cause that is over a 3 month period. I was expecting more. So back to the drawing board.

Hope you all have a happy and safe Halloween.
dixiedarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 10:09 AM   #231  

Dixiedarlin Thanks for the welcome. Sounds like you had a good report from your Dr. Congratulations on the weight you have lost.
Pat
Old 11-03-2003, 07:58 AM   #232  

Hi all!
Thought this would be a good place for me. I have type 2 diabetes, since 1999. Was on SB and it worked real well for me, though when I fell off wagon, it has been terrible. And I am still struggling now, 3 years later. I am on glucovance, until last week when test results for my liver came in and the alt,ast were double recommended levels...It has scared me and so I stopped taking my meds. I have worked even harder with my dieting. My weight is 248, 5.4" and I desparately want to lose weight and be healthy again..it seems so long ago. My Dr. wants me to go on WW and I noticed many of you are on WW with success. I have 12 grandchildren and I want to see them grow, get married and have families and just be healthy and feel good. My mom has diabetes type 2 and is 83. She does pretty good. I have another alt,ast liver test in 2 weeks and just praying for better results and success/strength to get control and be healthy. It is really such a gift, our health, and I know God wants me to rely on Him for strength to manage my body.
Thanks - your encouragement is very meaningful.
Soastitch
soastitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 01:11 PM   #233  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default introducing myself

As a person who has lived with diabetes since 1969 (diagnosed as type 2) and is now suffering the consequences of being out of control for 30-something years, I just want to say to those of you being newly diagnosed, whatever you need to do to get yourself in control, DO IT. Even if it's not fun, hard work, or whatever. You cannot imagine how you will regret it 30 years from now if you don't take care of it now. It has taken me that long to get serious about what diabetes is doing to my body, and to try to get some control in my life. My biggest problem is being about 75 lbs overweight, and having to take so much insulin to keep blood sugars in control that it is almost impossible to lose weight. I have finally (at age 58) started a regular exercise program, and actually have been able to lower the amount of insulin I take, especially on the days I weight train (altho I tell my trainer that I weight train every day, just by dragging this body around ). I am glad to find other diabetics here on this board - I check it every once in awhile, but have never seen posts by diabetics before. Then I realized I had it set to only show 2 days of posts. Duh!! I am looking forward to keeping up with you guys, because trying to lose weight with this condition IS different than just trying to lose weight, because of having to juggle the bg thing along with the food.
soiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 07:07 PM   #234  

Very well said Soiley !! I was diagnosed at age 29 as type 1 it's a difficult disease, and having seen family members suffer through complications it's also very frightening.I'm happy to hear you are trying to get healthier, it's sounds like you're doing a wondeful job. Good Luck and check in often.
bella1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 06:45 PM   #235  
T2 Diabetic since '99

I am a T2 diabetic since 1999. I was on oral meds (glucophage, glyburide) until last Nov. when I was converted to insulin. My experience tells me the only way I will ever have blood sugars approaching normal is by following a low carb WOE and practising tight control. I recommend 2 books to diabetics who are struggling with weight loss, "Dr. Bernstein's Diebetic Solution," and "Protein Power."

Take a look at my control page in the link below. I am getting these numbers thru diet, exercise and insulin. Since going low carb 5 weeks ago I have completely discontinued use of lantus insulin and lowered my doses of Humalog by more than 60%. I have virtually eliminated after meal spikes in blood sugar.

pasted from off thread post
I don't know about Sugar Busters...but it is a myth that sugar alone will spike your blood sugars. Every carbohydrate you eat will be turned into sugar. And carbohydrates are not all created equal. Some will spike faster than others, some are fiberless, others are slow spiking choices with fiber. If you are not on insulin yet you will be sooner or later if you continue to post those kinds of numbers.

You can read Dr. B's book online at this link http://www.diabetes-book.com/readit.shtml

Good Luck......And Keep Posting...Diabetes is a fearsome enemy and no one should have to fight it alone.
IceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 09:55 AM   #236  

I am a type 2 diabetic. I have tryed everything. I found If I eat anything I want but not much of anything, I do better. I have lost around 19 pounds from 197 to about 178, depends on what scales I use. Doc's or mine.
Have a great day
Shirl
Shirl2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 09:08 PM   #237  

Hello all, I am also new here.
I am a mom of 2 and adopted my grandson last year so now have three. I to have diebetes, not sure what type, just take the oral meds.
I take glucophage, glucotrol, and a pessel of others but have I eleminated most already in just five days.
I took the protein diet aproach,and started my diet this week ( saturday) at 310 pounds.and have lost 10 already. I am still eating fruit some and vegtables ,but have uped my protein much higher.
I have done so well my diet that my blood sugars are below 100 and 99% of the time in the 80 to 90's range.
I like your info iceman, I plan to go read some more on the site you gave.
I purchased soy, and also whey to add to my protien drinks. The whey will also be added to my eggs. I feel better, more energetic and way not hungry when I uped my protein.
I have protein shakes first thing in the morning as it helps so much and It makes it much easier to go til lunch.
I always buy very low carb protien drinks, and very low fat.I then add the whey and some wheat germ , strawberrys ( just a few) and ice. I tell you ,one cup fat free milk and all the other stuff and you get 2 nice glasses of this stuff and its pretty good tasting!
I have tried many times to lose weight, after all I am or was 310. but for the first time I relized that the higher the protein I had the better I feel.
Last night I had roast beef and potato's and carrots, diet jello. I felt as if I had a meal at the kings table!
I also remember to take lots of vitimins, some people do not believe they work, well they do and not just to keep a cold away.I went to the doctor and he said to many people think they get enough from foods, and really miss out on good health because they do not research vitimins and see the effects they have on our bodys. He also stated minerals are so important. I plan on getting ont to ebay and finding some good sales on liquid minerals .
Also to find a good logger.
Glad to be here and see other diebetics! Good night **Karla ( doozerdo)
doozerdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 02:20 PM   #238  

Default New Diet Start and a Diabetic

Hi Suechicklet here I just started Southbeach with the family. I am type II which I call the fat diabetic. I take insulin Lantus 100 25units at night and I take Avandia in the morning. When following a diet I am awesome in the Blood Sugar levels under 100 in the morning and under 140 before bed time. Southbeach is OK the first phase is difficult. I am Italian and love my bread and pasta. Ended up in the hospital one year a go today with over 800 blood sugar and that is when I was put on insulin. Not as bad as I thought it would be it doesn't even hurt. It hurts more to poke the finger than it does to give yourself a shot. Anyone else out there who is working at the control thing and on insulin. I would love to have a diet buddy
suechicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 09:18 PM   #239  

Hi Sue, Ladyrose here. I am new here too. I have been a diabetic since "93. I use to weigh 320 about ten years ago. I was down to 260 about two years ago and through diet and exercise I am down to 210. I was taking insulin and metformin two years ago. After I lost weight my doctor took me off insulin and I only take metformin. It is great finding a forum just for us, I have been to other places and found lots of nice people but if you don't have this disease or have a close family member with it, you just don't understand how it all has to work together. Especially when insulin is involved. Work close with your doctor to adjust insulin if you are exercising with your diet. Walking is a great way to start. You can email me if you want. Put re 3fatchicks in the subject line please. [email protected]. Good luck.
ladyrose1333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 01:21 PM   #240  

Default I'll try this thread again...

I had tried this thread a while ago but not much response. Sounds like I have some common issues. I am also type II (fat diabetic) that is why we are diabetic. Anyway its been 10 unsuccessful yrs with ups and downs with BS numbers and weight. I am currently on metformin and glipizide. Also take several other meds related to digestive, thyroid, HBP and chol. Currently I am a mess. I wanted to start a liquid protien diet (medifast) but my doc was completely against it. (though he's okay with weight loss surgery, but I'm not)
I need to buckle down because the next option is insulin. I was on insulin during one of my pregnancies and it was pretty awful. (of course I was 17 and everything was awful) but I would rather work towards getting off meds than to go on insulin. My morning # have been low 200's so I've got to improve that. But I have over 100 lbs to lose and it's like climbing uphill with 2-50lb bags of cement on your back, in the mud. I just don't know how I can do it. I try to look at it 10 lbs at a time but haven't even accomplished that. I do well for a few days and WHAM, flat on my face. No big binges, haven't done that in a while. Just bad choices. Well Hope you don't mind my jumping in and rambling. It sounds like some of you are really moving in the right direction and it's so encouraging to here
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote