3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Dieting with Obstacles (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles-14/)
-   -   diabetes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles/23924-diabetes.html)

roundybean 01-18-2003 10:50 AM

diabetes

Hi, I'm new here. I have diabetes, type 2. I recently joined Weight Watchers and have lost 7 pounds. My sugars are doing great, but I am having problems with occassional low blood sugars. I feel like I have to monitor all day to keep sugars in the right range. If anyone else has these problems, I'd like to hear from you.

novie2 01-24-2003 10:37 AM

Hi Roundybean, I too am new and just joined WW, haven't had my first weigh-in
yet.....Congratulations on losing 7lbs. that is wonderful....

Yes I am Type II diabetic also, and playing a balancing act with my blood sugars and meds.....Don't know any way
around it myself except checking the
blood sugars throughout the day...My problem is the Diabeta I am on....the
glucophage doesn't seem to cause a problem but Glucophage alone isn't enough....so I am constantly titrating the Diabeta up/down depending on BS.
Hoping that by losing some wt. I can drop
the diabeta all together and have the Glucophage enough to keep BS stable
Sorry I can't be of much help....What meds are you on.....novie:wave:

roundybean 01-24-2003 02:03 PM

Hi novie 2,

I'm glad you responded. I take glucophage, avandia and amaryl for my diabetes. I've had to eliminate my morning dosage of amaryl unless I know I'm going to be eating something with a lot of carbohydrates. I had my second weigh in but I only lost a half of a pound. Hopefully, my next weigh in will be better.:)

novie2 01-24-2003 02:26 PM

That is what I do with my Diabeta, but
I usually have to take at least half pill at night or my BS are high in the morning....
Doc tried me on Actos, I couldn't tolerate
it.

Congratulations on that ..5 lb. gone,
thats another half pound you don't have to worry about......
:cp:
I just purchased a Gizelle glider from
Ebay, can't wait til it gets here to start
some exercises......I have a treadmill
but it really bothers my knees, even if
I wrap them with ace bandages.......

Good luck at your next weigh-in....my
first weigh in-will be on Wednesday....
Novie::df: :

fluffy4now 02-06-2003 06:34 PM

Diabetic too!

:^: :) Hi Roundybean,

I am new here also, I am a type II diabetic and 70 lbs to lose.
I am thinking a rejoining WW again. I was trying to do the
low carb diet but I think I need a more rounded lifestyle diet.
When I was counting carbs my blood sugars were doing
great. I am only on Glucophage so I am not to troubled with
low BS. How is your weight loss doing? How is Weight
Wachers? Let me know.

fluffy4now:smug:

roundybean 02-07-2003 09:19 AM

Hi fluffy,

I'm doing good on weight watchers. My sugars have been great. I quit taking one of my medicines in the morning because of low blood. I've lost 11.8 lbs so far. The first week was the hardest for me, but now I've gotten used to it. I was worried I would be eating too many carbs on ww diet, but I eat less carbs than I did before. I think my doctor will be happy. Give it another try and let me know how you're doing. :)

BlackPowderTom 02-11-2003 09:54 AM

I am new to this board, started SB about 3 weeks ago because of my type 2 diabetes. Doctor said need to lose weight and control blood sugar. I am going to lose about 80 pounds, to get back to my fighting weight. I was nationally ranked in Karate. About a hundred years ago when I had hair and a waist.
I am currently on oral medication for diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I had lost 19 pounds, but put about 4 back on after this last weekend. I’m sure most if not all was water. I could use all the help I can get, so if anyone would like to add me to his or her buddy list please feel free. I need someone to keep me honest.
Thanks for listening:)

roundybean 02-11-2003 02:30 PM

Hi Tom,

I also take medication for diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. My doctor also wants me to lose weight. I started weight watchers about a month ago. I've lost approx 12 lbs. so far. Blood sugar is doing great. If I don't keep my bs down I'll get put on insulin, so I am really trying. Hope you are successfull with your efforts.

BlackPowderTom 02-11-2003 03:44 PM

Your post sounded like I wrote it.:) Same message from my doctor. Congrats on your lost. Good luck, I'll be around
c ya
Tom

Ramey 02-15-2003 11:26 PM

Hi All, Iam a type II diabetic and have been for over 20 years. I take Glyburide, 5 mg daily. I have been following the WW Points Program for almost 2 years now. I have to watch for Lows too. My BLS was 96 this morning which gives me problems when that happens. I operate best at about 120 there abouts. I have lost 25 lbs. with WW. I also have Hypothyroidism which makes it hard for me to lose weight, especially when I like Carbs. That makes it hard, but if I don't eat enough carbs, I'll end up on the Floor someplace. It is a balancing act as was stated earlier.

BlackPowderTom 02-16-2003 08:38 AM

Welcome Ramey,
Congrats on losing the 25 popunds. I just weighed myself yesterday and I was down 24. I feel much better. My wife has Hypothyroidism, so we are just learning about that. The proper foods and such. If you get a chance, maybe you could post some info about it? Thanks in advance.
Tom

Crazy4Homer 03-02-2003 12:43 PM

hello

Geez, I just read this string of messages and it seems like we're all experiencing the same problems.

I'm a newly diagnosed diabetic, also type 2. I've been battling trying to keep my sugar up as well. I've found that I HAVE to have each snack between meals, hungry or not.

I take Glucovance...it's a combo drug of glyburide and metformin. Anyone have any experience with it?

I've been considering asking my Dr. if I can try and manage the diabetes without the pill. Any input??

BlackPowderTom 03-02-2003 04:31 PM

Have not heard of those drugs. I have lost 28 pounds since Jan. 14th and all my blood work is much much better. I asked dr about cutting back on the meds. he is doing a new work up and will get back to me this week ( I hope) Good Luck
Tom

Crazy4Homer 03-02-2003 09:28 PM

Good job with the weight loss.....I've lost 36 since Jan03! Feels good to finally feel like you have a little control!

Niffer 03-03-2003 01:08 PM

Hello All!

I am new to this board, although no others here at 3FC. I was told on Dec 30th 02 I have Type 2. Here's what I am doing:

Body for Life - I eat 6 times a day - a portion of carbs, portion of protein, and veggies w/ at least 4 meals a day. I workout 6 times a week as follows - cardio 3x a week for 20 mins that's it :lol: not anymore than that! Then, I weight train the other 3 days. Building muscle is crucial for burning fat - and that is what we as diabetics must do - lower our body fat %. It really does not matter WHAT we weigh (throw the scale far far away my new found friends!) we must concentrate on lowering BF% and gaining muscle which helps to keep our BG in check.

The reason I eat 6x day is this - it provides a constant stream of food which tells the body it's not starving and keeps the metabolism up ( a GOOD THING!) and you do not risk BG going too low or too high. It has also kept me off meds. (I had a little bout w/ this a few yrs back too and was on meds eating the same way and my bg went too low, so we stopped the meds and all was fine) Long story but my previous doc went straight to the meds and never addressed the food issue - so when I changed the way I was eating PLUS the meds, BG went too low. My doc now (I love him! ;) doesn't work like that. His said we are going to go at this naturally first, and if you can't control your bg with food, exercise and supps THEN we will have to go to meds, but not before. So far, it's working. And working very very well!

I look forward to posting here and seeing everyone's progress. If you'd like to know more about Body for Life, check out the forum here under bodybuilding (don't let that scare ya! :lol: ) (helping another person a day is a personal goal I have!)

Niff