Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-21-2003, 05:06 PM   #136  

Congrats Ali...
poohbear_411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 01:19 AM   #137  

Smile ALI

Congratulations Ali !!!!!

dixiedarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 12:01 AM   #138  

S/C/G: 340/240/155

Height: 5'3"

Smile Finally

Hi Friends
I finally did it, I am below my new years starting weight with my loss of -3.25

I also talked the nutritionist today and told her about my lowcarb WOE and my low blood glucose. She suggested I divide up my allowed carbs into the meals and snacks. She was so impressed with my food diary program, and my b/g tracking which is all kept on my laptop computer.
I realize now that this WOE is working, and I am going to stick with it as long as I can.
I wish for you all continued success.
joe anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 12:46 AM   #139  

CONGRATULATIONS ON REACHING YOUR WEIGHT LOSS GOAL JOE ANNE

Old 07-23-2003, 10:33 AM   #140  
One day at a time..

Smile Goal...

That's wonderful Joanne. Dosen't it feel great to reach a goal!!

I had my weigh in yesterday and got myself a Gold Star and a Bookmark for 5 lbs gone.

It felt so great to be in the weight loss celebration.So I know how you feel.

Venetia
Palm Bay, Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 01:21 AM   #141  

Hi ladies

Just a quick post; I'm doing good with food and blood sugars are normal. I have an appt with my doc Mon - hoping to have lost 5 to 10 lbs . I am supposed to have a fasting blood sugar done also. I checked my blood pressure at Wal-Mart this past weekend - it was 114/69. It hasn't been that low in a long time; of course, the machine could be wrong, but I hope it isn't. I'm hoping he will take me off the blood pressure medication. I have tried to get in some exercise this week.

Venetia - love your picture; congratulations on 5 lbs gone

Linda - WHERE ARE YOU??? GET YOUR BUTT IN HERE!!!

Joe Anne - so glad your program is working for you; hope you have continued success.

To everyone else, hope you all are having a good week so far.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:35 AM   #142  

Hi ladies

Just a quick post; I'm doing good with food and blood sugars are normal. I have an appt with my doc Mon - hoping to have lost 5 to 10 lbs . I am supposed to have a fasting blood sugar done also. I checked my blood pressure at Wal-Mart this past weekend - it was 114/69. It hasn't been that low in a long time; of course, the machine could be wrong, but I hope it isn't. I'm hoping he will take me off the blood pressure medication. I have tried to get in some exercise this week.

Venetia - love your picture; congratulations on 5 lbs gone

Linda - WHERE ARE YOU??? GET YOUR BUTT IN HERE!!!

Joe Anne - so glad your program is working for you; hope you have continued success.

To everyone else, hope you all are having a good week so far.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:36 AM   #143  

Default Whoops

Sorry, I accidentally submitted the same post twice.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:09 AM   #144  

Angry

Hi all, I am new here also. I need to lose 150#, have joined WW once again. However, this time it is serious. I need both knees replaced, am type 2 diabetic, take Amaryl and Avandia, have high BP, with meds for that, naturally. I am not young, and have tried every diet known to mankind, was successful on WW when it was so strict, but I did very well.
I, as probably all of you do, know every diet by heart as well,
This time, however, I am having hard time with my BS dropping to low , at work, when it is impossible to just stop and eat something.
So far, the best "breakfast" for me, has been 2 low fat slices bread, with 3 ozs. fat free turkey, and Miracle Whip, then also eat fat free yogurt, 1% glass of milk. That seems to hold me until time for lunch, which can be anywhere between 11AM-2PM. If I do find I am "getting into trouble" I just excuse myself, call my manager and tell her I am on my way to the lounge for some milk. Usually that will tide me over.
Just wanted to say howdy, , Janet
MEEJAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 03:42 AM   #145  

Welcome MEEJAIN (I just love your user name)!

I am a type 2 diabetic; I take Glucophage (two tablets a day) and have been limiting my carbs to up to 4 exchanges at every meal (which comes to 60grams) and then two snacks (30grams). This is what my diabetic educator suggested and so far I have lost at least 14 lbs (last weigh in was in March; my highest weight was somewhere above 350) and my blood sugars have been running normal. Of course, I occasionally get in more carbs than I should, especially if I miss a meal or I'm really tired.

Do you get an hour for lunch at work??? If not, do you get two 15 minute breaks every day. You may not be getting in enough carbs at each meal. I usually have milk and a pack of peanut butter and crackers at my break (they come to about 30carbs). This seems to work well for me.

Like you, I once lost 88 lbs on WW when it was very strict (this was in 1980), but starting gaining when they started adding more food to the program.

All of the ladies are really great. I hope you will continue to post on this thread. Have you checked out the "300+ and ready to try again" thread on the support forum? I post there also. They are a nice group of ladies.

Hope everyone else is having a good week. Linda I hope all is well with you, MISS YOU IN HERE
Old 07-25-2003, 11:43 AM   #146  

Thank you for your encouraging letter. No, we only get 30 minutes, if that, for lunch. Many times lunch consists of grabbing something while waiting for your next case to start. That is why I said lunch is anywhere from 11AM to 2 PM, cafeteria hours. I have carbs and protein at every meal, but since I have become more active with exercise and then the diet, I still get that "crashy" feeling, which I hate, and causes me to just throw anything in my mouth if Milk is not handy. As far as control of the big "D" I am in total compliance, was a 5% on the AltHgb scale and that is considered "normal, if diabetic controlled". 250# is the hightest my weight has been, a couple of weeks ago when I joined WW. However, I have only lost 2 pounds! I am so distressed over this, they check my journal and everything. I know I am doing it correctly, not cheating, because I am so serious about this now, I have become stressed out at not losing. A person my size should lose 10 pounds the first 2 weeks!
Old 07-25-2003, 01:08 PM   #147  
Just having some fun!

Default Hi - what do you know! 2 posts in 1 week from me!

Hi All - and a great big welcome to Meejain!

Have any of you taken adderan? My doctor gave me a sample month of this to control my appetite. I was reading up on this med and they give it to ADD children. I have only taken it for the past 2 days. I don't feel jittery or anything...thank goodness.

However I did notice that my sugars are dropping way low. (my dr warned me of this - she said to stick to the sugar buster diet - meats and cheeses, veggies....and just take my regular bolus of insulin from my pump, but not to take extra for a meal.)

Has anyone had any dealings with this med? Any suggestions?

Ali
Ali Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 06:16 PM   #148  

HI Ali, nope haven't heard of the drug. But, everyday I hear of differant drugs for diabetics. I take Avandia and Amaryl, and for a long time I thought I was the only person in the world that took this combination!,

Good luck.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:21 PM   #149  
One day at a time..

Talking Welcome Meejain..

Very pleased to see someone close to my age here. I am not diabetic but am on this thread because I lost my sister to diabetes a couple of years ago and I am fighting to keep the monster away.

My blood sugar goes very low when I don't eat every couple of hours and the Drs say that hypoglycemia can turn to diabetes very easily. My sugar is usually about 135 unless I go without food for too long then I get cold sweats. weakness and just sick all over then as you said I am ready to eat anything .

I also am going to WW and I have only lost 5 pounds in 7 weeks. But I don't let it get me down too much. I did Atkins for a year and didn't lose so I don't complain too much, Noone looks at my journal and I would not like it if they did. WW is suppose to be private. Like you said, I don't cheat and what I eat is my business as long as I use the point system which I do.

Well I do hope you enjoy our little group. Talk about anything you like. We are all here for you.

Venetia
Palm Bay, Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 07:37 PM   #150  

Angry

HI Venetia, you sound like I used to be. "Hypoglycemic" but it was really diabetes. It took them 18 months to diagnose me finally as diabetic, and as most diabetics will honestly admit, we have been diabetic for many years before finally being "officially diabetic". I have many, many glucose tests, blood tests. I was to the point of being literally "bone tired", feeling like my bones were ready to fold, sleeping when not at work, when at work constant nausea. The only thing that prevented the nausea was Orange Juice and crushed ice. :duh:

I would sip on the OJ/ice all night. One evening a fellow worker told me I didn't look so snappy. I felt as if I was walking in a cloud, that my glasses were "dirty" when in fact they were so clean because I kept taking them off and trying to clean them!

We checked my BS on the glucometer and it wouldn't accept it. I went to the lab and as a favor to an old timer the tech drew a BS and it was 555!!!

That was the day I was finally diagnosed as a diabetic. I guess the point of this whole message, is that so many we diabetics are misdiagnosed or just take a long time to diagnose because we are adults and everything that happens to us as we get older is just life as a "woman" and "old age", most excuses given to us by our docs.