The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 10-25-2006, 08:56 AM   #961  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Hmmm, kiwi marinade sounds interesting. I never thought of that but it sounds good.

Girls I am right back on the food plan but exercise is lagging this week. Having some extra stress this week due to friends and family not behaving themselves. Don't they know they need to behave so I can function normally?!?!?!?

Anyway, Twinkle I hope you are feeling better. You are doing great. Angel, I understand how starting a new job gets you all worked up but you will be fine.

Man Gina, I always shake my head when you talk about back day. I enjoy front day more. I feel more limited as far as exercises on back day, I always wish for more machines when I am working my back because I end up doing the same exercises over and over.

Let's all hang in there. I am really trying to damage control BEFORE the holidays set in. From 11/20 which is my birthday, through 1/1 it seems that I lose all control. I am really going to try not to do that this year. But FIRST I have to get back to my workouts!
Old 10-26-2006, 10:25 AM   #962  
Chick

Morning Jillian's girls!!! How's it going? I just wanted to hop on and tell you that I just finished a great workout. The first three weeks of this month I did beautifully. Friday through yesterday, not so good. No - I didn't abandon every aspect of everything I do to lose weight. But I did abandon exercise some days, controlled eating other days. It was really helpful to me this month to record what I was doing each day from Oct. 1. Boy it felt awful when I started messing up to have to write that down. And, I think it is what pulled me back so quickly. Instead of letting this go for 2 or 3 more weeks - I let it go for 6 days. And oh what damage can be wrought in 6 days of only semi screwing up. It doesn't seem fair does it? Twenty-one days being canceled out by 6 days. Perhaps not totally, but nearly. I only hope that in the remaining 6 days of this month I will come out ahead on the scale. Because you know what - I'm sick of this pattern. I want to scoot off this perpetual bump in the road that is me trying to reach a goal - darn it. I mean really....

Last edited by ledom; 10-26-2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:27 PM   #963  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I just ate a hugemongous kiwi....they were on sale! I'm having decent luck with logging what I plan to eat for the whole day in the morning instead of waiting until after I have eaten it...of course it has only been one day... LOL

Workouts have been good, Xbike yesterday. For the first time I was able to stay up for the parts where they give you a choice of pushing thru or sitting down and pedaling. Yay me! Today is regular spin class, I like switching back and forth. I have a different instructor each day of the week - M-Thur. Hey this one even looks like me...hat and everything!

twinklegirl - hope your weigh in went well..sending : vibes! The one time when nausea might be a good thing? Sorry that's bad.

nikkii - rocking the workouts, girl! calamri with kiwi sounds pretty good, I'll have to try it. Did the 8 yo know what he was getting? I can imagine it might have been a hard sell. Sorry about your mom and stepdad....family drama is so stressful.

ledom - 3 weeks outta 4 ain't bad, girl!! If you can get it down to maybe 3 days a month...as DH always says "closer than ever".... You will get to your goal - we all know you can!!!

angel-eyes - you are prolly having big fun in your new job!! Hope you are getting some "You" time into your new schedule.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:13 AM   #964  
Chick

Morning-Gina, your plan of writing out your daily food in advance sounds like a good one. You know how everyone talks about how keeping records, writing out, counting up, etc., etc. is very helpful. I don't write out my food but I do plan it out just the same (most days.) I meant to tell you I borrowed my friends bike over the weekend and road a couple of miles. It is a really nice bike and I enjoyed it a lot. It sure got to my quads super quick. I know I would like to have one but not sure I could use it enough to justify the expense. Anyway, good for you to have increased your ability in XBike. That had to be such a rush!

So yesterday went very well. Thank god. I did weigh this a.m. and am less than a lb. over where I was last Friday. I'll take it and do as you suggest - try for a better average next month. The writing down of the weight daily and also a daily log which briefly states if I ate on plan and exercised on plan was so helpful and kept me honest with myself and I believe I'll continue doing it.

Though I felt totally undeserving, yesterday was one of those days when the compliments just rolled in. I liked my outfit and I give it the credit. I was wearing my size 14 levis and by the end of the day they were sagging and that surprised me. I also went to a sporting goods store yesterday and bought some winter paddling clothes. All Columbia women's sizes. I bought Xlarge pants and a large jacket. Not so long ago I had to buy mens gear because I couldn't fit into the womens. I also have this pair of 501 levis that I bought last year around this time hoping to wear them on my birthday and just feeling they were too tight for comfort to wear them. Well b'day is just around the corner again and those jeans have been retired to the too big pile. So looking at those things make me feel better.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #965  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hello everyone - I've been lurking here for months, so I could read Ledom's posts, and she convinced me I should just join in. She and I go way back to when we were both doing BFL, and doing well, but then I got into a relationship, got cocky - thinking I didn't have to workout anymore, and now here I am, nearly 2 years later, with nearly all of that hard-lost weight back on

Anyway, my name is Cindy, I'm single, but engaged, soon to be 43-yo, and I live in Upstate NY (about 3 hours north of the City). I do cardio and lift weights - have been back at it for about 6 weeks now.

I hope you don't mind my crashing your party!
Cindy
Old 10-27-2006, 12:45 PM   #966  

Welcome, Cindy!! The more the merrier!! Danged relationships....so easy to get complacent when you are falling in love, huh? on the engagement - so exciting!

If there are other lurkers - this is not any kinda private club! You don't have to be following Jillian Michaels' plan, most of us who have been here the past year or so have modified her workouts to our own uses....so don't be shy!
Old 10-27-2006, 02:29 PM   #967  

S/C/G: 305/190/120

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks for the invite,I think I'll unlurk...I've been exercising 6X a week for an hour since reading Jillian' book. I have her next book on preorder, delivery is suppose to be early next year. Her weight training exercises are fantastic.

This morning I did an hour on the treadclimber. Tonight I'll do 20min. of weight training. I've been eating clean all week so hoepfully I'll have lost some weight when I weigh in tomorrow.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:45 AM   #968  
Chick

Cindy and Graciezoe I am so glad you are here!

Jillian has a new book coming out? I didn't know that, I'll have to do some research - I love Jillian's approach to weight loss.

Cindy I am so glad you finally spoke up - how is it going this week? And graciezoe, now doubt you will have a loss after having the week you just described.

So, everyone have a good weekend. Of course it is my biggest challenge. I am feeling pretty strong this weekend though. One social gathering Sunday afternoon, but I am thinking in advance how to handle it. I feel on the verge of being "closer than ever"....what a wonderfully supportive thing for your husband to say to you Gina.

Later.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:58 AM   #969  
Lovin' Zumba!

Thanks for the welcome! And, I'm glad to see I was able to bring another lurker out of hiding! LOL! Hey graciezoe, and congrats on your wl success so far!

I did a search on Amazon, and came up with this:

Making the Cut: The 30 Day Diet and Fitness Plan for the Strongest, Sexiest You (Hardcover)
by Jillian Michaels

Release date is 3/27/07

I'll be curious to check it out myself.

My week was not too bad - I did all my cardio, but I only lifted on Friday. Not sure what was up with that. Eating was so-so - we had pie in the house, and although I didn't have it every time DF did, I had it too much. Work is starting to get a bit stressful, and it makes me want sweets. I need to figure out some sort of alternative for myself. Yesterday at work I had a bad of 94% FF popcorn to munch on. Not the best, but way better than the doughnuts that were sitting there tempting me!

Weekends are always my time to plan, so I hope to plan for a better week coming up. This is actually my b-day week, so I'll be going out to dinner twice - will need to watch the calories on those days. I get to pick the places though, so at least I can steer us to cleaner eating.

I think I'm planning a new approach to my workouts - I really *hate* to workout on weekends, as I like to lounge around in the mornings, and if I don't do it in the morning, forget it! So, I think I'll strive for cardio every morning M-F, then on M-W-F, I'll do my lifting sometime during the day - around lunchtime. My gym is where I work, so that's pretty handy. Legs only take me 1/2 hour and UBWO is an hour - so easily fit into the hour I get for lunch. Luckily my schedule can be very flexible, so I can go to "lunch" whenever I want to.

Well, I'd better get started with my day. I had a conf. call this morning at 7am, and have been playing on the computer ever since. Dreary rainy day here today, so it's easy to just want to vegg all day!
Cindy
Old 10-28-2006, 07:52 PM   #970  
TwinkleGirl

S/C/G: 220/179/154

Height: 5'9"

Hi Chickies!
Firstly, a HUGE to Cindy and Graciezoe! I had no idea people lurked around here LOL! But, it's really great that you've joined us!

Chick- You always seem so hard core, with all your biking and stuff! I wanna be like you! You should be proud of your Xbike class, but what is an Xbike class?

Ledom- I am way to scared NOT to write everything down. I have a little notebook and write down everything i eat and what exercise i do. I just know if i stopped i would mess up big time. Good job on working out what you have to do to stay OP.

Well, as i predicted weigh in didn't go well on Friday, but i didn't gain. I was expecting that as i'd been so sick and had only managed one workout for the week. I did my Jillian circuit on Friday and felt great, until i twisted my ankle doing jumping jacks. It's recovering now, but i couldn't go on the treadmill as usual. I'm just going to have to be careful with it, my ankles are very weak already and the last thing i want is a long term injury. Food for this week so far hasn't been great, but this week i really want to focus on my workouts, but my food will be clean for the rest of the week. But seeming we're only two days into the new week, it's way to early to predict if that lapse in good food will ruin my weeks weight in.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:36 AM   #971  

Here is a pic of the bikes - they are basically spin bikes but the handlebars move back and forth. It gives a little bit of upper body workout and makes you balance a bit more like a real bike. Big fun!! Well I say that now...when I'm actually in class and the perky instructor says, crank up the resistance, here comes a nother hill...then I say something else.. Today I got up too late for a spin class, I decided to try elliptical again, I hadn't been on one in a while. Funny thing was, I had to turn the thing way up in order to get my heart rate up. I guess those spin classes are paying off. Today was back day, too. All in all a good day.

twinklegirl - I used to sprain my ankles at least once a year....funny - it's been a long time since it has happened. They must be getting stronger. I feel your pain, tho. OUCH! A hey - at least you didn't gain at your WI!!

Cindy - my current answer to wanting sweets at the office is Lakerol - sugar free candies. I was addicted to Velamints, but I can't find them anymore. I found the Lakerol at IKEA and Cost Plus. I used to be a smoker...I think I have a thing about needing to keep my mouth busy. That's pretty cool you have a gym at the office.

, graciezoe!! Way to rock that stairclimber...thanks for the heads up on Jillian's new book! a new Jillian book - Too cool!!!

ledom - It's kinda ironic you would call "closer than ever" a supportive statement....I give him a hard time about it because more often than not he says it about a project he has been putting off starting.... He is, however, very supportive in my weight loss efforts. I think I'll keep him...

Nikkii & Angel-eyes!!
Old 10-29-2006, 11:06 AM   #972  
Lovin' Zumba!

Gina - I just looked at your before and after pic - what a fantastic job you have done! And, I still can't get over how much younger everyone looks after losing a significant amount of weight! It's simply amazing! Congrats on that 100# loss!

I'll have to look into having some sugar-free hard candies at work - that might just do the trick - thanks!

I didn't know what a X-bike was either - do you mean that the entire handlebars move forward and back, or do they move side-to-side as well? You're right - there is nothing like "spinning" type workouts to get your heartrate up - I think they do it better than anything else. I'll definitely have to see if a gym around me has those once I'm ready to really challenge myself!

Just on here searching for some low/no-carb recipes for my last meal of the day. I'm in the process of switching from Body for Life, to Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle, by Tom Venuto. It's an e-book you can buy, and is pretty specific about cardio, weights and food in order to lose fat. He recommends no starchy carbs after 2PM for people like me, who are carb sensitive. As I eat 6 mini-meals a day, that means 3 meals with very little carb content. Not an easy thing to come up with, in my opinion! So, I think I'll spend some time over at the South Beach forum to see what I can find.

Do you gals ever share recipes? I'm a bit of a "foodie", so I love to try new things. Please feel free to share some of your favorites.
Cindy
Cindy
Old 10-29-2006, 10:26 PM   #973  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Hi girls!!! I started my new job on Friday and also worked a 10 hr shift on Saturday. MY LEGS ARE KILLING ME!!!....I woke up at 5am this morning and my legs felt all hot and like a heart throbbing....definitely going to take some time getting used to being on my feet all day. Thank goodness I wore a really comfortable loafer type shoe on day 2!!!

Well well......I disappear off for a few days and there's so many posts and new members!!!! Hi bfl Cat and graciezoe!!! My best friend flew in today until Wednesday, she's been my friend since middle school and we've got some heavy duty shopping to do!!! Last thing I really want to do is walk around the malls shopping (truth be told) as my legs are still ache-y but I don't have the heart to tell her. After ds gets on the bus, we'll be heading for a walk and then some shopping later. Well I better get some lunches made for tommorow.....congrats to the losers this week!!!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:42 AM   #974  
Chick

Monday morning - boy this is going to be a busy week for me. I did ok over the weekend. Still and all will not weigh until at least tomorrow a.m.

Cindy - these are my sweet fixes. A good energy bar every now and then. I like these big peanutbutter cookie dough ones called Big 100. I know they are little better than candy bars but they satisfy the sweet tooth, do have protein and do fill me up and they replace a meal. I just have to be careful to only buy them one at a time because I can get into them when I am turning the house upside down for something sweet to eat. Living alone I am able to keep my house sugar free so when the sugar demon strikes there is nothing around usually. Also, sometimes late at night when I just have to have something I have either fatfree hot cocoa w/ marshmallows (about 70 cals.) or international sf coffee and a diet coke. That can get me through it usually. Day time afternoon snacks are on the sweet side but usually fruit w/ CC a few walnuts and splenda. Fuji apples are great right now w/ a couple cheese sticks or a handful of almonds.

PS to Cindy - Happy Birthday week

angel-eyes, sorry about the sore feet. I hope shopping and being with your friend took your mind off them. Did you find any good stuff?

Gina, oh I get it - closer than ever can work both ways. Still, it is a pretty good mantra of encouragement when you look at it a certain way.

Last edited by ledom; 10-30-2006 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:41 AM   #975  

S/C/G: 305/190/120

Height: 5' 5"

Well I lost 2lbs last week...I'll take it I did cardio for an hour Saturday and 20 min of weights. This morning I did cardio for 70 minutes and 20 min. of weights. I had a bad food Sunday, I ate Chinese...which if I had chosen healthy would have been ok but noooo I had to eat sweet & sour chicken. I'm trying to eat super healthy today.