The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-29-2006, 06:51 AM   #901  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

What's up girls - I am talking to myself. I made wake-up call again this a.m. That makes a perfect exercise week. Food has been almost perfect though yesterday I was presented with challenges that I was almost, but not quite, up to. I nipped it in the bud and just consider it my weekend free meal. Really, it wasn't that bad, but it was not perfect. It throws me when I have to eat with someone else - wreaks havoc with my social life I tell you. My friend brought lunch in, she brought a brownie into my house. How can you get so upset that not only do you have to deal with a meal that is about 1.5 hour off schedule but also includes someone selecting your food and bringing it to you. That is so what is so out of whack in my life. The flexibility and the will power to go with the flow and yet maintain my diet standards. Believe me, I don't allow myself to be put in that situation very often. It is just that I wish I had an easier relationship with food. Still, if I can just let yesterdays imperfection, and extra calories, be what it was and not use it is an excue to blow another weekend I think I'll come out ahead - or down on the scale. Of late Sat. and Sun have been doing me in. I have my activities and food planned out and some kicked up exercise plans as well.

Hope you all have a good weekend.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:22 AM   #902  
TwinkleGirl

S/C/G: 220/179/154

Height: 5'9"

Hi Girls!
You should all be very proud of me, i went to the gentle spin class! Yay me! I actually woke up pretty sick this morning, but i didn't want it to seem like i was making up an excuse when it was time to tell you all how it went, so i dragged myself along to it. After 15 minutes, i started contemplating just how embarrassing it would be if i walked out of the class. I wasn't having much fun. After 30 minutes, i decided that that must be what **** is like, only this place had bikes! And by the time the 45 minutes was up, i had decided that there must be a God because he was ending my torture.

However, i absolutely cannot wait to do another class! I'm actually going to drag my boyfriend to a 'normal' spin class over the weekend (depending on how i feel, of course!), no more 'gentle' crap for me, i want to make it through a whole normal class! So, while it was very hard, i view it as a challenge and i actually did a whole lot better than i thought. I can see why people say it's addictive, if hadn't spent the rest of the day in bed sick i would have gone back for another class this afternoon.
Hope you have all had a great day, i'm going back to bed, i feel like my head has been run over by a big truck!
Old 09-29-2006, 12:54 PM   #903  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Twinkle girl...I'm rolling on the floor over here!! Yes, spin class is what **** must be like...ain't it great? We did intervals yesterday that I thought my HRM was going to pop....I got my heart rate up to 96% If you find an XBike class they are fun, too!! The difference is that the handlebars move back and forth to give you an upper body workout, too. I'm not very coordinated...I'm still getting used to that one. (I've been switching back and forth because XBike is only 2 days a week) Hope your goes away!

ledom - you are on a roll, girl!!! All that planning for the weekend should keep your momentum going. As for the effect other people have on your plans....like you said, the only thing you can really control is how often it happens. Enjoy the brownie!! People are telling you how good you look...MUST BE TRUE!!! all the working out is paying off...maybe not on the scale, but nonetheless.

angel-eyes - I've been lurking in the tbl challenge threads....it looks like fun...I guess I'm not alone in liking the part this season where there are a bunch of contestants that are doing it from home...it's even more motivating IMHO....more real world than being on the ranch.

nikkii!!!
Old 09-29-2006, 02:45 PM   #904  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Twinkle....haha...you also had me laughing out loud!!! Our gym is getting bikes in today for classes that start on Monday. Of course you pay extra on top of your monthly membership....we'll see if I'm going to **** or not!!

chick...96% HR....YOWZA!!! YOU ROCK!!!

ledom.....I know what you mean about the daily struggle with food. All other addictions preach the abstinance approach, but food is the one thing that we all need. I truly feel the love/hate of food all the time. Yesterday I had the need (love) to eat carbs. Thank god I was still in my caloric limit yesterday but I was mad thinking that I didn't eat very nutritionally or mindful of what I ate. Today is a different story.....I just got in from the gym. I let ds sleep in (as he's off from school for a 3 week break) and when he got up at 9:45am....he said 'lets go to the gym MOM," hehe....he wanted to see what other kids were in the daycare room. We raced around getting dressed and doing a bazillion of things, but after all was said and done, I had a GREAT WORKOUT!!! I'm glad we went!! See how easy it was for me NOT to go to the gym? My excuse was it was too late to go with him sleeping in. I have to really get back to just doing it!!!
Old 09-29-2006, 05:55 PM   #905  

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel-eyes View Post
chick...96% HR....YOWZA!!! YOU ROCK!!!
thought i was gonna die.....

TGIF and rest day on top of that
Old 10-02-2006, 07:01 AM   #906  
Chick

Just a quick good morning and to let you know that I survived the weekend. I wasn't perfect but I had good improvement over the last few. I don't want to weigh until tomorrow and I think I need to work on weighing daily again because that is a sure sign I am not trying my hardest when I avoid the scale. I bought vitamins over the weekend and hope they give me a little energy boost. Workouts were spot on last week so going for week two on that front.

Have a great week ladies.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:02 AM   #907  
soon to be goddess

Morning girls!

ledom.....great job on your weekend. I find vitamins very helpful. When I was logging into fitday, on the days that I would forget a vitamin my days were extremely low on certain vitamins and I was eating very healthy veggies and meats. It can only help.

Well my weekend was FAB-U-LOUS!!! Yesterday was my 18th wedding anniversary and although the food was to die for....I was successful in limiting my portions to enjoy and 'taste' the food but not an all out free for all. For breakfast I made, whole wheat blueberry pancakes. Lunch was deep fried brie (to which I shared a smaller portion and gave half to ds) and then dinner was a specialty of mine.....rack of lamb. Again smaller portions than normal and fresh green beans. Dessert, well.....okay, a little crazy.....fried banana's with a sugar sauce and a small scoop of icecream. Anyone watch the "take home chef"? , he did a similar banana dessert a few weeks ago.
We had a great day!!! and now its off to the gym!!!
Old 10-03-2006, 07:18 AM   #908  
Nikkii from Australia

S/C/G: 101/90/56

Height: 156cm

Hey Ledom, Angel Eyes and chick in the hat How are you all going?
Well sorry i havent been on, it has been hetic with school holidays here
Well i have passed my sports medicine course i have been doing the past 3 weeks, but work has slowed down due to holidays.
Well, yeah, i know i need more sleep, and sometimes i get 3 hours, and find i dont eat cause i am too tired to do it... which is bad!! the doctor has given me sleeping tablets, but i dont like taking them.
I am so pleased that the biggest loser is back on here....even though it is US i love it. But i still have to say, and not just because i love Jillian, but Kim isnt the right girl. Kim has a great background, but she has a high pitch sqealing nagg,,,that isnt the oomfph Jillian had... It just doesnt feel right......i want Jillian back on TV!!!! .lol
I had my weigh in today and i am still the same weight....i am seriously thinking of when the kids go back to school on Monday, taking my diet pills reductil, and the meal relpacement shakes for 2 meals a day over 2 weeks and see what results i get??? I need to boost the metabloism, and it just wont budge...and i am starting to get depressed again about my belly, and i dont take the antidepressants the doctor put me on....as it has a appetite depressant in it, but i am not hungry all the time, i just not eating...
I will be hitting the gym again as i havent been able to as of when i was sick, and the doc thinks i still have the sinusitis that set it off still lingering around....
Anyway i will stop writting my novel, and i am back!!.....Missed you all, wish you were here in QLD australia with me!!!
Old 10-03-2006, 08:56 AM   #909  
Chick

nikkii - sorry to hear you are still struggling with health problems. Rest has great restorative powers, I hope you find a way to get some.

Gina, you are hitting some serious cardio numbers. On the bike, well the whole group of friends I paddle with on occasion all have bikes now. We are camping together sometime this fall and I hope they all bring their bikes because I want to try them out.

Happy Anniversary angel-eyes!!! 18 years, you have my heartfelt congratulations. Sounds as if you handled everything beautifully.

I am so stuck in my weight loss efforts. By the end of the week I am down, by the end of the weekend back up. How long am I going to be on this merry-go round I am asking you!?!? I am really getting upset with myself. I did better but the scale was still up this a.m. I am going to weigh myself every day for a while. Even if I screw up royally I am hopping on the scale, maybe the immediate feedback will help- will shock some sense into me. Anyway, I just finished a great workout. I am tired of metaphorically jogging in place though, I want these great workouts to add up to weight loss. Gotta get the calories right!

Went to yoga last night - it was great.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:19 AM   #910  

I had a pretty fun weekend, too! Scooter rally - woo hoo!

Didn't get much gym time in, tho...I got there yesterday and today to make up.

ledom - I wish I had something helpful to tell ya...I haven't got much besides "welcome to the club" How about we should be proud of ourselves for maintaining?

nikkii - congrats on passing your course! About the pills for boosting metabolism...I gotta say I think your body needs a break (and some time to recover), not more meds...just my humble opinion.

angel-eyes - Happy Anniversary! And a for the portion control.

twinklegirl -
Old 10-04-2006, 02:31 AM   #911  
TwinkleGirl

S/C/G: 220/179/154

Height: 5'9"

Ahhh, my girls, i feel like i'm bashing my head against a wall! I've been eating well and exercising pretty well for the last few weeks, and i have not had a loss. This week, my eating has been perfect, but i've been sick, so i haven't been able to workout, so this week will probably be a wash again. I think i'm plateauing again, and this time i feel like i'm going nuts! I'm getting really annoyed because when i started Jillian's program in March, i decided my ultimate goal was a bikini on Christmas Day. I've realised this probably isn't going to happen, i still have a long way to go and not enough time, plus this plateau is killing any chance i did have. And it may seem silly, but the thought of that bikini was the one thing that was in my mind pushing me through, and now i've lost that hope, my motivation has gone. I know i'm in th elast stages, i'm 2/3 of the way to my goal, but i don 't know if i can get there, this plateau is really breaking me.

Ledom- As you can tell, i'm right there with you, buddy!

Chick- Cool Pic! Nice scooter, it's a pretty colour!

nikkii- I have to agree with chick on this one. Diet pills and replacement meals will only slow down your metabolism, not give it a boost. Just my opinion.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:07 AM   #912  
Chick

Morning - First off, you are so cool Gina. In more ways than one, but I love looking at you on that scooter. What fun!

Yes, you're right we are at least maintaining and that is saying a lot.

BUT, we want to lose. Twinklegirl, I hear you on the waning motivation. Boy, that fire for the loss comes and goes doesn't it? You never know, resting from exercise might be the jolt your body needs. It sounds like you truly are experiencing a plateau. I am pretty sure my plateau is self induced. I don't want you guys to get me wrong when I talk about drinks, I am not a big drinker. But of late I have been socializing on weekends more than usual. When I was really losing I was refusing all alchohol and it made a big difference. I know where my problem is, I can explain why I am not losing weight, I am not working the diet like I need to. I do during the week but not the weekend. The calorie deficit isn't there like it has to be in order for me to lose. What I am doing during the week is just enough to hold me where I am. My plan this weekend, which includes another get together, is to have 1 glass of wine and then switch to water. Honestly, I think that is too much but I do feel a little pressure (what am I a teenager?), maybe I can fake it a little. Accept the wine but just sip a little of it. Also dinner out with friends to a steak house, it seems I should be able to stick with my eating plan at a steak house as well. Also a clean-up day on the lake that includes hotdogs and chips. Yeah, someone is twisting my arm there too. I don't know, it is back to the motivation thing, wanting the loss more than the incidental off plan food that comes my way..... But you know, I don't think it is the occasional free meal that has me here, it is the frustration that spawns a mini-binge. That pity food that I indulge in, or have been the last few weekends. Assisted by the lowered inhibitions that accompanies drinks or the feeling I have already had such and such so why not. Or the carb cravings that one controlled cheat sets off... You get the picture.

The one thing I know. We will get our motivation back. It always does come back. I just don't want it to be couple more months from now.

Twinklegirl, when I look at your stats. 5'9", 176 - are you sure you aren't ready for a bikini, or at least a 2 piece? Somehow I am thinking you are looking better than you are giving yourself credit for. Hang in there sweetheart.

MAN ALIVE: I am editing this because I was thinking somewhere on this thread there were some posts about what Jillian says about plateau busting. Do you know how many pages this thread has!? 61!!!! Do you know what else? It was a year ago this month that this thread started and that you and I Gina, began doing these workouts. Looking at the big picture, we have come a long way baby. We gotta be proud of what we have accomplished in the past year. We CAN finish up the job. I am going to keep searching for the plateau busting advice and get back to you later on that.

Last edited by ledom; 10-04-2006 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:46 AM   #913  
Nikkii from Australia

S/C/G: 101/90/56

Height: 156cm

Hi Everyone....yeah i know it isnt the best way to go with diet pills, and it is just so hard to fight the mind when it just wants to do anything possible to lose weight....
I am trying to start my new pattern off in a few days when kids go back to school to go to bed early and get more sleep and up at 6am to gym each morning....Hopefully that will relax the brain too.
I need you all here to kick my butt when i need it....lol
Love you all to bits....nikkii xxx
Old 10-04-2006, 11:53 AM   #914  
soon to be goddess

okay.....I need some advice and I know you all will give me exactly what you think..... I'm quite knowledgeable on lots of weight loss articles but something my MIL said this morning by phone has got me confused with a contradiction. She was telling me that my SIL (going through a divorce) is now a size 1 from a 12, has just lost over 50 lbs and now weighs 105 lbs. When I asked how's she's doing, MIL says....well she's just not eating. My questions or discussion is....if you stop eating, your body goes into starvation mode. At least thats what all the articles say, well at what point does it then just kick up and start losing weight again AND keep losing weight? I know she eats, but she has stopped the "eating while stressed/bored, and fast food eating" she used to do all the time so that has contributed to her weight loss and she recently found out she has certain allergies to beef and beef byproducts, to which she has cut out of her diet. The conversation made me feel like....if I just stopped eating, then I could be like SIL. Not a good feeling I had after the phone call. Any comments?
Old 10-04-2006, 12:00 PM   #915  
soon to be goddess

Sorry....didn't mean to just post and not say a Hi !!

nikki.....girl, you need to relax abit and give your body a well deserved rest. I would start a more structured bedtime routine and let your body start to 'get in the habit' of getting more sleep. Wind down your night with a bath, lights low, candles....you get the idea. I feel whacked outta my head with anything less than 6 hrs.

chick....wooohooo LOVE LOVE the scooter pic!!! You are so cool!

ledom.....why do you feel the pressure of drinking? 1 drink should feel hospitable and totally okay. I know what you're saying though....same thing with food sometimes, people push you to have more than you really want.

twinkle....I share your feelings about wall bashing!!! I'm there believe me, one minute I'm gung ho, and then motivation wains, then I'm back....I too obsess about the whole thing EVERY DAY!!! I need a life.