The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-25-2006, 06:33 AM   #886  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Hey all - will try being a little more present this week. I am up extra early this a.m. Week of rest officially over. I did it up good yesterday though. I ate 100% and slept most of the day. I was really needing to do that and I feel so much better today.

So Twinklegirl, are you ready to climb back on that wagon with me. I could use the company and the inspiration.

angel-eyes, you are making great choices. Way to go with hanging in there.

Chick, your bike ride sounds great. Isn't it wonderful when you find that you are capable of something new and what was once difficult? And you are so right about there being no going back.

I think one of the things weighing me down right now is the lack of real progress over the last couple months. I have just been stalled out for officially too long now.

I know what I have to do to get beyond this stall-out, for some reason it is just so hard right now. I know a lot of it is just being tired and busy, it's in large part how I became overweight in the first place. And yet carrying around extra weight only makes that problem worse.

Anyway, I am at a point where I am going to have to will myself through some obstacles. Mainly making sure my feet hit the floor when the alarm goes off in the morning. Two, cut out the social drinks on the weekends. Three, get through a weekend withough indulging in a free day or two, and Four - keep doing all the above ad infintum.

I know I am going to have to "will" my way through some of those obstacles. I know I can because I have before. Right now if you see me walking around talking to myself.....well I am going over all of the above to keep them forefront in my mind.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:50 AM   #887  
Nikkii from Australia

S/C/G: 101/90/56

Height: 156cm

Hi ladies, Angel eyes, i have 1 child, he is 8yo. My friend has 2 twin girls that are 10 that regulary sleep over on weekends. I dread school holidays and sleep overs.....they do nothing but eat and nagg and fight and should i go on......lol
I quit my job on mondays at the other clinic. I was basically not doing anything but being his receptionist and not getting paid...as there was no massage work....so i rather spend the time at my clinic at the gym, and get into working out each day i am at work.
I have not been to training (martial arts) for a few weeks now due to illness , so i have to get my butt in gear and return back....
My calves are so bloody sore from the beach walk,,,,and i swear if anyone come to australia here to visit me one day,,,,i promise to put you through the agony of this walk...lol but i do admit it feels good now i have done it...
I have been good and had a meal replacement shake this morning for breakie with a healthy lunch and dinner...i just have to try and lay off the coffee. At the moment i am having at least 15 cups a day.,... i try and swap it for tea or herbal tea,,,,but yeah....
nyway i will stop rambling....does anyone ever go in the chat room?
Nikkii
Old 09-25-2006, 08:42 AM   #888  
Chick

Nikkii - I would most certainly take you up on that walk on the beach. I love taking in the salty air and the great calf workout of a walk on sand.

Just finished back day. It was a good workout. I finally attempted and did side planks. I got up 30 min. earlier and not feeling rushed really made a difference in my enjoyment of the workout.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:19 PM   #889  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Hi girls. Its the first day of ds's cycle break and I had all but given up hope of working out. Then I remembered, he's got PSR for an hour so I dropped him off at church and then worked out for 50 min!!! Tommorow we will be heading off to the gym in the a.m. as they have daycare. Food was really good today and although tempted by (nasty) pizza (yummm) at costco, I didn't order any and had some tomato soup when we got home.

Nikki.....OMG...15 Cups of coffee? YIKES!!! Any chance that its decaf? I have one cup of coffee, mind you its a big mug, but yowza!!!
Old 09-25-2006, 11:59 PM   #890  
TwinkleGirl

S/C/G: 220/179/154

Height: 5'9"

Hi Girls!
I have had two good days. I have done my circuits and 45 mins of cardio each day. My food has been pretty good, had a minor slip up last night with some sticky date pudding, but i'm not feeling to badly about it and will adjust my calories today so it should be fine. I can't wait for rest day tomorrow, my legs are sore! I think it's the extra cardio i've been doing, so a rest day will be nice. I really want a loss this week, it will be another sort of mile stone for me and i can't wait to get past it.
I also have to get back into taking my daily multi- vitamin. If i don't i end up like i am now, sleeping 10-12 hours a night and feeling very run down. I'm lacking something, iron maybe!?! But i feel a lot better when i take the multi, i just have to remember.

Nikkii- I guess we got our wish! The Biggest Loser starts here next week. Monday 9:30 pm. Yay! Although i read a short interview with Kim where she kind of was mean towards Jillian's workout technique, which left a really bad taste in my mouth, so i'm not impressed with her right now. We'll really have to wait and see. 15 cups of coffee... wow! I don't drink coffee or tea at all. I can't stomach the stuff, they make me feel sick!

Ledom- Gosh, i hate side planks. For me, they're like puch ups, i just can't do them! Good on you for trying something new! Hope you had it a little easier with them than i do! I also have been feeling stalled. It seems like i put in three pretty good weeks to lose i kilos (2.2 pounds) it's just not as easy as it was at first. We'll get there, we just have to knuckle down a little.

Angel- Great work! Avoiding pizza and getting in the workout!
Old 09-26-2006, 12:42 AM   #891  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

twinklegirl - I think a multivitamin is a good idea - I take mine right after dinner. I'm sending vibes your way...but it sounds like you are kicking some serious butt over there.

angel-eyes - WTG - passing up pizza and getting in a workout on a busy schedule is reason for a happy dance.

ledom - feels so good to get a scheduled workout in...

nikkii - that is a lotta java, girl....maybe start with making some of it decaf? Ya gotta get your water in, too...well herbal tea counts.

Spin class kicked my butt today - we had a substitute teacher...she is into loooooooooonnnnnnnnnnggggggggg intervals....thought I was gonna die. S'all good!
Old 09-26-2006, 06:26 AM   #892  
Chick

Howdy - well I made early wake-up call a 2nd morning in a row. Having my first of 5 or 6 cups of coffee (and I thought I drank a lot Nikkii ), before working out! Yesterday went really well and I even made it to yoga class last night. By the end of the day I was beat, but I felt good too. I am putting multi-vitamin on grocery list. Maybe that would give me a boost too.

Anyway, front day and I hope for a hike tonight. That spin class sounds killer Gina.

Yeah, I have been avoiding side planks, don't get me wrong I found it very difficult and was lucky to hold each side 15 sec., but the last time I tried I found it impossible.

Oh, I was just going to say that the yoga teacher I have had lately is so gifted. It isn't a power yoga, but very slow, not very difficult poses, but her sequencing and instructions and corrections make it the best class I think I have ever had. It is a deep stretching and relaxing workout, I wish she taught more than once a week.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:33 AM   #893  
Chick

Okay, just a note to say workout is done and lunch and snack are packed. The day is off to a good start. Time to jump in the shower now. Ya'll knock'em dead today with your workouts.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:06 AM   #894  

ledom - your post brought a big grin to my face..

My version of side planks includes rolling over flat on my face more than once....ain't it funny how the low tech exercises work you the hardest?

My coffee confession - I keep it to two cups a day....but the cups are HUGE...so it's more like 6-8 cups? If I drink any more it's decaf unless for some reason I need to drive at night or something...

Today was pure cardio....I really like this spin class....
Old 09-27-2006, 02:41 AM   #895  
TwinkleGirl

S/C/G: 220/179/154

Height: 5'9"

So, early Friday morning there is a gentle freestyle spin class at the gym near home, so i'm thinking about going. Trying something new would be good for me, but i;m still scared. Not as scared as i was, the word 'gentle' has helped ease some of my nerves. Hopefully, i can report back that i got up the nerves to go this Friday, but we'll have to see.
It's rest day today, but i just finished 5 hours of housework and i'm considering an hour on the treadmill later, but my ankle and knee have been playing up so i might just rest it. I have also been taking the muti vitamin, so i'm not sleeping as much and i'm feeling much better now!

Ledom- Great job with setting yourself up to have a great day!

Chick- i know what you mean by the simplist exercises being the hardest. i just can't do a normal puch up. I keep trying and trying, but i literally end up face first into the ground. I'm just glad nobody can see me!
Old 09-27-2006, 08:24 AM   #896  
Chick

Morning girls, just want to check in even though it is rest day. Alarm clock mercifully set to include 1 1/2 hours more sleep for today. I don't go in on Thursdays so I get to sleep a little later tomorrow too. I am starting to "feel" it again - that is the fire to lose. I keep dancing around 195 - I have taken up my next small term goal weight as a mantra again. I repeated it to myself over and over as I got in that hike last night.

I plan to hike again tonight and the watch TBL. Looks like it is another 2 hour episode. After missing the season premier last week I am really looking forward to seeing it tonight. Ready for some of that excitement and motivation from the show to rub off on me.

Gina, I am glad you found spinning. I don't belong to a gym so I don't guess I'll get to try it. I do think of buying a bicycle sometimes, but I don't know if I would use it enough to justify the purchase. Twinkle, good for you for giving it a go. I bet you will surprise yourself because you have been working hard and that work translates itself in some wonderful ways out in real life.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:36 AM   #897  
Nikkii from Australia

S/C/G: 101/90/56

Height: 156cm

Hi Ladies, well i hate to say this but my coffe isnt decaf.....but i have been to the doctors today for my weigh in and i am down to 88.5, i have lost 1.5 kg in a week!! and i am so very sure it was to do with the beach walk!
I donk think i will like Kim on TBL, she seems to be arrogant, and has a whine to her,,,,espcially if she diss's jillian....no that i wont like,,,lol
Well i have had 4 hrs sleep and a 12 hour day at work.......i am stuffed, and i will ramble on, so great stuff , keep up the good work....chat soon xxx
Old 09-27-2006, 01:29 PM   #898  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Morning!! (hehe....all this talk of coffee, I couldn't resist) LOL
I weighed in this morning and did the ol' multi try weigh in thing.....it kept changing my weight, so I'm splitting the difference and claiming a 2 lb loss!!! wooohoooo. off/on off/on....it was killing me!! might be time for a new battery change or something. Either way....TBL is on tonight, and I didn't know it was a 2 hr show (again)!!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 04:36 PM   #899  

angel-eyes & Nikkii!!!! Woot Woot!! I'm all ready for BL tonight, too!

ledom - you might try renting or borrowing a bike....just to see how you like it? If you enjoy hiking, I'm pretty sure you will enjoy biking if there are decent trails in your area. Here in sacramento we are blessed with a 30 mile bike trail that goes from a lake down a beautiful riverside to downtown. It really is great. You can park the car in different places depending if you want hills or flat. There are deer and lizards and squirrels and the occasional scary animal like mountain lions. I don't ride in the dark or too close to dawn or dusk
Great for keeping your heart rate up but not too much stress on any specific part of your body.

Nikkii darling...you need to get some sleep...while I'm not so sure everyone needs 8 hours a night...I'm pretty sure you need more than 4. Try the gentle spin class tho - every spin class I've been to (each instructor is a little different) has been geared towards each person working at their own pace. No one can tell how much the resistance is turned up on the bike but you...well my face might give some of it away when I turn beet red... Talk to the instructor at the beginning of class and let them know you are new, they will help you adjust your bike and explain how it works. In my book any cardio work out where I say it was 45 minutes already? at the end is a good thing. It doesn't mean you have to do it every day...but it lets you vary your workouts...
Old 09-28-2006, 07:03 AM   #900  
Chick

Morning - well I watched TBL last night. It just takes a while to warm up to a new season I guess. I remember feeling that way about the second season as well. It isn't until you start noticing how different everyone looks that things get exciting. The same can be said of Kim too. It will take a while to get a take on her personality, but I think she has a knock-out body. She looks amazingly healthy and strong and not too skinny at all. I like her look.

So it's Thursday, don't have to work today and yet I am up ultra-early. Going to get that workout in and maybe go back to bed? I don't know, I have a lot to do today but rest is a top priority as well.

This has been a strange week. On Tuesday no less than 4 people told me how nice I looked. I am wondering if it is just dragging out some different clothes because the weather is cooler. Then yesterday one of my male co-workers asked if I was still losing weight. Well yeah, I am trying - not that I have lost any. I am virtually at the same place I was on July 3 when the garage burned down. After that I lost about 3 more lbs. and since then I have lost and gained, lost and gained, and maybe lost until I am even to where I was mid-summer. Maybe I look better because my food has been ultra healthy and am in the lost half of the equation right now. Anyway, it has been encouragement to keep it going. To really feel like I deserve the compliments. 189, 189, 189, 189..........